Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

What's Stephen's qualifications again? 

Oh yeah, his dad owns the team and he has no actual knowledge on how to build a winner.

Steven handed out big contracts to Jaylon Smith, D Law, and Zeke. Lmao. Epic fail.

The only positive thing on Stephen's ledger is wrestling the Manziel pick out of Jerry's hands.  Everything else he has had a hand in has been dogshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

The Dak led Cowboys lost to the Jets last year.

My point exactly. We didn’t beat a single goof team last year. We just aren’t anywhere close to being a good football team, and we all should’ve seen it coming. I never understood the preseason love, but obviously nobody saw this coming. 

I just think about last year when Michael Bennett, a guy we traded for midseason, had to be one of the vocal leaders of our locker room. He was the guy calling out BS effort, he was the guy calling out D-Law for willingly getting subbed out on some of the most important snaps of the game. He’s been a few winning locker rooms so he knows what it looks like. The writing was on the wall. Outside of Dak, and zeke, we have no leaders on this roster. I still put Zeke in there because even though he’s struggled, I still feel like he’s giving 100% effort. The fumbles have just gotten to his head and he’s trying to do too much, but I don’t question his effort. I think he genuinely has a passion for football. I don’t know how many guys on our team I could actually say that about.

We should hire the Arky coach next year, even though he's 58 and only has 3 or 4 games of head coaching experience. He has experience working for Jerry, and would probably be a guy to get the team playing hard again. He'd probably bring Rex Ryan as his DC and although Im not real wild about the 3-4, I did enjoy this anecdote from Pittman's wiki pageScreenshot_20201025-134256_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0b5eede10cd571ace3974371a2753b9b.jpg

21 hours ago, naija said:

never change. never change.

though I will admit that if there is a chance for Trevor Lawrence, they would be silly to not explore it

They should. Be stupid not to. I still believe you trade that pick for a King's Ransom and get MORE picks/Assets to improve the team. But they're not getting the top pick and not sure Fields gets you a ton of assets(maybe it does)

I've been consistent in my stance that drafting a QB will not help us at for 3-4 years. And by then it'll be time to pay him IF he's even as good as Dak(huge chance he won't ever be).

But does anyone trust this front office with the money it "saves" with a rookie QB to address needs? They extend players they shouldn't, and bargain shop in FA.  

They squandered Romo's prime with the same FA/Draft/extension philosophies.  I have no doubt they'll do the same with Lawrence or Feilds and meanwhile we'll be watching Dak playing in a SB if he goes to a well run team.

16 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Here to bitch...cowboys dogshit. Hoping we lose every game from here on out and draft Trevor Lawrence...or trade that pick for a shit load of picks and sign dak.

All of this.

15 hours ago, C-Man said:

The OL is terrible with La’el, Tyron and Zack Martin out. I don’t give a shit who is playing QB, it’s gonna be a shit show with this patchwork group out there.

Drew, do you still have Chaz Green’s cell? McCarthy might need it.

Green might be better than Steel.  And while I think Dak would be getting killed too...they'd have scored more than 10 and 3 in back to back weeks with Dak no doubt.

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

How many games did Dak play with Tyron? 1? Maybe 2? 

1.5.  He only played half a game against the Falcons I think.

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

If we get a top 5 pick I hope we trade back for multiple picks. Of course we chose the worst season to be absolute garbage. We'll have a lot of competition for a top 5 pick. 

All of this.  We need more picks.  A QB or just one stud defender isn't going to fix shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't think you are going to get much of haul of picks unless you are in position to get Lawrence or Fields in the draft.  Hell we can lose out and not be in position to get one of them.

A lot of folks are very high on Trey Lance and the BYU kid, Zach Wilson, at QB.  This actually has a chance to be a pretty good QB draft with as many as 5 in the first round.  Someone may want Lance or another in the top 5 or even 10.  Not as much as you'd get for the other 2 but perhaps enough to consider trading down.  Personally, we may fuck up draft strategy in the top half of the draft but we don't rarely fuck up drafting good players.  We suck at the back half of the draft (we hit on Dak which is huge, but not much else) and developing UDFA's as well as identifying burgeoning talent in free agency..  Maybe picking in the top 5 is better for a no doubt talent then dropping back into the early teens, whereby the risk is greater.  I don't know, long way away.

Here's another bust in UFA.

3 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Think the main issue is lack of talent especially on defense. The two guys paid to carry that side of the ball are below average players and many of the others should be backups or out of the league.

And Mike Nolan is obviously terrible at his job.

A lot of truth here.  A lot of the issue is the defense has some dudes with potential and look good in the weight room, but they're not that productive.  Smith is a prime example.  But this is about all the 3-5th rounders we've wasted, especially hitting on guys on the either line.  We seem to do okay in identifying skill players, particularly on offense like Gallup, Wilson, Schulz, and Pollard.  But we're dreadful at filling in depth thru the draft in the middle rounds on the lines and at CB.

Guys like J. Lewis, D. Armstrong, Tapper, Collins, C Green, Damien Wilson, and Ryan Russell.  The 2017 draft really is a killer draft..... It's pretty awful and that's when McClay was given more responsibility.  So is McClay the issue or the process the issue or the Jones' the issue with the player personnel situation?  No idea, probably a mixture of all 3, but this team has been bereft of quality depth for years.  We're a below average drafting squad.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

21 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Only way that’s possible is if we don’t put him on franchise tag. Once he’s offered that he can’t sign anywhere but here. It’s just a matter if it’s the tag or a new contract.

They’ll wait us out. They’re a Dak Prescott level qb away from being super bowl contenders as long as they can keep that defense playing at a high level. They’ll do another year of Foles if/when he leads them to the playoffs, then they’ll give Dak what he wants. This is my honest prediction for how this plays out. I think we’ll fuck it up and low ball him again.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Don't think the Cowboys can beat the Jets 0-16 record

The jets are better than us by a wide margin right now. They stood toe to toe with the Bills yesterday. They would 21-0 skunk us and we would have to pass the sticks. That’s a team that’s probably going to finish 1-15 and they are very clearly better than us right now. With the current state of our oline, our qb situation, and our defense, we are legitimately the worst NFL team I’ve ever seen. No hyperbole. 

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The jets are better than us by a wide margin right now. They stood toe to toe with the Bills yesterday. They would 21-0 skunk us and we would have to pass the sticks. That’s a team that’s probably going to finish 1-15 and they are very clearly better than us right now. With the current state of our oline, our qb situation, and our defense, we are legitimately the worst NFL team I’ve ever seen. No hyperbole. 

We may be worse but we've already got 2 wins.  They will get the #1 draft pick.  Cowboys are battling about 8 other teams for the #2 pick.   

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

We may be worse but we've already got 2 wins.  They will get the #1 draft pick.  Cowboys are battling about 8 other teams for the #2 pick.   

We only got two wins against two 1 win teams, with a relatively healthy oline and our starting qb. In our current state, if we had to play 16 games with what we’re dealing with we would go 0-16. I’m pretty confident about that but there’s no way of knowing. We don’t have one thing to hang our hat on and say “ok that position group is decent.” The wrs and the rb don’t matter with our 2nd team oline.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

16 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yep i keep hearing people saying that we still have some good players. The only problem is that they were good 2 years ago and were probably overrated at that solely because they played for the Cowboys.

Would anybody know who the fuck LVE or Demarcus Lawrence was if they played for the Bengals? Hell naw.

Edited by Pam Cummings

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

We only got two wins against two 1 win teams, with a relatively healthy oline and our starting qb. In our current state, if we had to play 16 games with what we’re dealing with we would go 0-16. I’m pretty confident about that but there’s no way of knowing. We don’t have one thing to hang out hat on and say “ok that position group is decent.” The wrs and the rb don’t matter with our 2nd team oline.

I don't disagree with you we are for sure the currently worst team in the NFL.  The comment was we aren't getting Sunshine (Lawrence) since we will have a better record than the Jets.  Unfortunately our current shitiness can't erase the wins off our record. Jets will get the #1 overall pick despite probably being double digit favorites in a head to head matchup.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't disagree with you we are for sure the currently worst team in the NFL.  The comment was we aren't getting Sunshine (Lawrence) since we will have a better record than the Jets.  Unfortunately are current shitiness can't erase the wins off our record. Jets will get the #1 overall pick despite probably being double digits favorites in a head to head matchup.

I gotcha. Fields will probably be there though. And there will be teams ready to trade up, at least you would think. And if you are planning to low ball Dak and tag him again, Fields has to be in consideration right there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also we are 0-7 against the spread lol. That’s impressive. The eagles are only 7 point favorites this week. Show me how we get 14 and we don’t give up at least 24. Get in on that now because that’s the easiest money you’ll ever make. 

They really should start flexing games out of primetime right now. Just change the rule. You have a 6-0 Steelers v 5-1 Baltimore at noon. That’s an easy switch. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

48 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

They’ll wait us out. They’re a Dak Prescott level qb away from being super bowl contenders as long as they can keep that defense playing at a high level. They’ll do another year of Foles if/when he leads them to the playoffs, then they’ll give Dak what he wants. This is my honest prediction for how this plays out. I think we’ll fuck it up and low ball him again.

This will happen. If not the Bears it's the Colts or Pats or maybe the Bucs when Brady moves on. The Cowboys will do exactly this and Dak might actually be better off for it.

1 hour ago, Fudbelty said:

Only way that’s possible is if we don’t put him on franchise tag. Once he’s offered that he can’t sign anywhere but here. It’s just a matter if it’s the tag or a new contract.

We could give him the non-exclusive rights tag.  Then someone would have to give us 2 firsts to sign him.  

6 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Byron Jones in Miami in 5 games played (missed one) is giving up less than 20 yds receiving a game and 0 TDs.

Only 4 yds per attempt. 

And these idiots let him walk to sign Demarcus, Jaylon, and Zeke for top of the market money. 

Incompetence at the highest level

Thats because he’s a really good corner and it’s hard to take anyone who doesn’t agree with that seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Thats because he’s a really good corner and it’s hard to take anyone who doesn’t agree with that seriously. 

They had one of the 5-7 best corners in the game on the team after drafting and developing him and they're too stupid to even realize it and instead give money to a guy holding them hostage with necessary shoulder surgery until he gets paid, a guy with one working leg and zero lateral quickness, and a diva running back who held out with 2 years left. Can also add in a WR who is productive but often disappears in big/road games and had his previous team question if he even likes playing the sport. 

This is Bill OBrien level incompetence in roster building

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

They had one of the 5-7 best corners in the game on the team after drafting and developing him and they're too stupid to even realize it and instead give money to a guy holding them hostage with necessary shoulder surgery until he gets paid, a guy with one working leg and zero lateral quickness, and a diva running back who held out with 2 years left. Can also add in a WR who is productive but often disappears in big/road games and had his previous team question if he even likes playing the sport. 

This is Bill OBrien level incompetence in roster building

He sucks at catching the ball so he never got interceptions. There’s something to be said about being one of the 3-5 best cover corners in the league. It’s tough because we unfairly turned him into a saftey for his first 3 years, even though he played more corner at UConn. If he had played corner from his rookie year on, who knows what he would be right now. We definitely would’ve paid him if we had more than 2 years worth of him looking like an pro bowl corner, and we put him out of position. It’s laughable. We made him our “TE stopper” for a year or 2 because of how well he could play man to man on TEs. Well no shit. He’s a big, super athletic corner. Maybe let him try that on wrs.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The Cowboys have given up the most points through 7 games in franchise history.

Currently there's not 1 guy on defense that is an above average starter. 

Before this week no team had ever given up 20 points in the first half of 5 straight games. Ever. We extended that streak to 6 games. 2 of the teams in that streak were the giants and Washington. This might actually be the worst defense ever assembled in the NFL. And it’s a defense that some people thought had promise going into the year. 

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Byron Jones in Miami in 5 games played (missed one) is giving up less than 20 yds receiving a game and 0 TDs.

Only 4 yds per attempt. 

And these idiots let him walk to sign Demarcus, Jaylon, and Zeke for top of the market money. 

Incompetence at the highest level

A smart org would've either franchised him or signed him when Jaylon was signed. 

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The Cowboys have given up the most points through 7 games in franchise history.

Currently there's not 1 guy on defense that is an above average starter. 

The biggest indictments of this defense came against NY and Wash. Both of those offenses fucking suck. Daniel Jones is not good. Kyle Allen is a fucking scrub. Wash was so bad at everything on offense. And yesterday, they were doing whatever they wanted. And it could have been worse but they coasted once they saw Dallas pretty much quit.

After thinking about their situation I think this is what they should do. First, attempt to trade all expiring contracts you will not sign for whatever you can get. Accumulate as many picks as possible even if you have to stagger and take a 2022 pick to get a better round. That's Griffin, Aldon Smith, Chidobe, Jordan Lewis, Noah Brown, Xavier Woods off the top of my head. Bench/cut Poe and Worley. Start playing all your draft picks from the last couple of drafts. 

With all that and a team that has quit you probably lose out. You hope you lose out and Giants, Jax, Falcons, and of you're lucky jets win a few games. Hope like hell 2-14 gets you the 1 or 2 pick. If so you take Lawrence or Fields and tag and shop Dak to teams like Chicago who feel they're a competent QB away from a title run. Get the best package possible for Dak and move on with building through the draft and cap space. 

If they don't get the 1 or 2 pick then sign Dak and use the picks to load up on players to build with. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1