Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If the teams salary cap works, maybe the Colts or Vikings would consider Dak as a free agent ??

If Dak gets traded or decides to play hardball and flies the coop I can see Belichick snatching him up. He fits well with a lot of what they do. Jmo. Same for Vikings and Colts. Curious to see what the Saints will do with Winston. Equally curious to know if the lasik worked there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If the teams salary cap works, maybe the Colts or Vikings would consider Dak as a free agent ??

Vikes are tied to Cousins for another year and have no way to get rid of him.  

Chicago, Colts, Pats, Jags, Broncos and Niners would be suitors.... Saints are in cap hell so while it's not out of the question, it would be extremely challenging.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

TANK and start over Cowboys... Won't get to Superbowl anytime soon with roster and Dak.

Don't franchise Dak for 2021...   Hell let him go !!!

Where would Dak end up as a free agent in 2021 ???

Still wrong.  This team isn't trash.  The Offense is hurt all over and the defense is trash.  They can literally have a decent draft and off season and be back as a contender again(the level of successful contender is up for debate)

They'll be stupid to just "let him go"

19 hours ago, Nope said:

Sean Payton to the courtesy phone 

Edit: But the Kamara deal may complicate that

Yep.

Along with 7 other teams.

Chicago, NE, 49rs are all SB contenders with Dak right now.  Saints too probably.

8 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

JFC, now Dalton has the covid.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Sweet..... #gucci4life. We may see squints too.... Jerrah was not pleased.

For the ever loving fucking god.

• Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe Tony Romo after the bye...

Kidding aside... Gonna be Cooper Rush

Cowboys placing Andy Dalton on COVID list; Cooper Rush set to start?

"The Dallas Cowboys signed Cooper Rush to their practice squad just last week. Yet, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Dallas is seriously considering giving him the starting nod against the Steelers."

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/11/03/dallas-cowboys-andy-dalton-covid-cooper-rush/

34 minutes ago, DougO said:

Dak leaving Cowboys talk not going away. Also not going to happen.

You say that but if he gets tagged this year history says he’s gone. People don’t sign contracts with the team that tagged them twice: it just doesn’t happen. And this off-season is going to be interesting to see how we approach offering Dak a contract. Dak’s side will say look at this shit show when he’s not on the field, and the Jones family will say yeah but your ankle. I feel like we’re almost definitely going to franchise Dak unless one side caves. Which side is caving in this situation. Both have legit arguments this time around compared to last offseason where we looked like idiots.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

Still wrong.  This team isn't trash.  The Offense is hurt all over and the defense is trash.  They can literally have a decent draft and off season and be back as a contender again(the level of successful contender is up for debate).    They'll be stupid to just "let him go"

Just my opinion:

• Fastest path to a Super Bowl for Dallas is TANK & REBUILD
  • Their salary cap issues won't allow a quick fix for Defense
  • Dallas Coaching Staff is a Dumpster Fire
  • Jerruh is an idiot and possibly senile

SPIT-BALLIN' FOR SHIT'S & GIGGLES

Not saying the Jones will do this, but imo fastest way to a Super Bowl is:

1. Tank for a Top 5 Draft pick in 2021 
  2. Hire a New Head Coach & Staff (Maybe Bieniemy or Lincoln Riley)
  3. Get your player personnel evaluation staff in order
  4. Don't franchise Dak for 2021
  5. Endure a poor 2021 to eat up more of terrible Zeke contract
  6. Get your salary cap mess back in order by 2022/2023
  7. Hopefully trade effectively, Draft better, and rebuild roster
  8. Better coaching and player development

SUPER BOWL IN 2024  😁

BACK TO DRINKIN...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Looks like we have ourselves a good ole fashioned 3 way qb competition this week between Nooch, rush, and GG. The winner gets to be concussed by the guy we should’ve drafted 3 years ago. 

According to Tom Peliserro DiNucci is benched and it's a comp between GG and Rush for the start

39 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just my opinion:

• Fastest path to a Super Bowl for Dallas is TANK & REBUILD
  • Their salary cap issues won't allow a quick fix for Defense
  • Dallas Coaching Staff is a Dumpster Fire
  • Jerruh is an idiot and possibly senile

SPIT-BALLIN' FOR SHIT'S & GIGGLES

Not saying the Jones will do this, but imo fastest way to a Super Bowl is:

1. Tank for a Top 5 Draft pick in 2021 
  2. Hire a New Head Coach & Staff (Maybe Bieniemy or Lincoln Riley)
  3. Get your player personnel evaluation staff in order
  4. Don't franchise Dak for 2021
  5. Endure a poor 2021 to eat up more of terrible Zeke contract
  6. Get your salary cap mess back in order by 2022/2023
  7. Hopefully trade effectively, Draft better, and rebuild roster
  8. Better coaching and player development

SUPER BOWL IN 2024  😁

BACK TO DRINKIN...

giphy.gif

That's not the fast way.

The fast way is to retool the defense, jerry to die(not really, not wishing it on anyone), and the offense to cook like it did early this year.  That can all be done by next year.

Tank and rebuild is not really something you need to do in the NFL, nor should you.  UNLESS you don't have a QB.  The Cowboys do.

The Giants, Jets, and Jax been doing it for years and even Jax messed around and had a lead on the Pats in an AFC Championship game despite their fuck ups.

BTW all their salary cap issues would be basically taken care of by the end of 2021 anyways.  Coop, Jaylon, and ESPECIALLY Zeke all have manageable outs before 2021. The one smart thing they did was not really destroy there cap despite the bad contracts.

They're not even in cap hell now as they have over 30 mil in cap space TODAY that can roll over to next year's cap.  The whole "save money because we got bad contracts" angle is overblown.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

That's not the fast way.

The fast way is to retool the defense, jerry to die(not really, not wishing it on anyone), and the offense to cook like it did early this year.  That can all be done by next year.

Tank and rebuild is not really something you need to do in the NFL, nor should you.  UNLESS you don't have a QB.  The Cowboys do.

The Giants, Jets, and Jax been doing it for years and even Jax messed around and had a lead on the Pats in an AFC Championship game despite their fuck ups.

BTW all their salary cap issues would be basically taken care of by the end of 2021 anyways.  Coop, Jaylon, and ESPECIALLY Zeke all have manageable outs before 2021. The one smart thing they did was not really destroy there cap despite the bad contracts.

They're not even in cap hell now as they have over 30 mil in cap space TODAY that can roll over to next year's cap.  The whole "save money because we got bad contracts" angle is overblown.

That’s only if you believe you can win with this core. I personally don’t think we’re ever winning with this core. Just pay Dak, since we haven’t proven that we can follow the super bowl recipe of building a team around a qb on a rookie deal. Other than that, I would be ok with blowing it all the way up, getting rid of all the bad contracts we have even if it’s just dead money, and stock piling as many picks as possible. I just don’t think this core is built of guys that have the right kind of leadership qualities, and building on this core will result in the same 10-6 ceiling with the same 6-10 floor. We get the last place schedule next year probably (even in this shit division), so we’ll finish 10-6 next year when everyone is healthy, but we’re never competing with the big dogs with the core of leaders we have on this team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Is that supposed to change something? People acting like this is some big deal that he is missing the game. He is trash. The outcome would be no different had he played. I don't want to see him take another snap this season.

I didn’t say it was a big deal. Whether we had Nooch, Dalton, or dak, were losing by 25+ to Pittsburg. I was merely stating the reason he is out is because he has covid-19. But keep pushing that same “this team is a Dak Prescott away from being a winning team and we’re only had right now because he’s out” narrative that I think you genuinely believe. We should pay Dak. Whether he’s here or not, we’re one of the 10 worst teams in the league. Losing him makes us one of the 5 worst teams lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Drew said:

That's not the fast way.  The fast way is to retool the defense, jerry to die(not really, not wishing it on anyone), and the offense to cook like it did early this year.  That can all be done by next year.  Tank and rebuild is not really something you need to do in the NFL, nor should you.  UNLESS you don't have a QB.  The Cowboys do.

BTW all their salary cap issues would be basically taken care of by the end of 2021 anyways.  Coop, Jaylon, and ESPECIALLY Zeke all have manageable outs before 2021. The one smart thing they did was not really destroy there cap despite the bad contracts.  They're not even in cap hell now as they have over 30 mil in cap space TODAY that can roll over to next year's cap.  The whole "save money because we got bad contracts" angle is overblown.

We sure have opposite opinions. 

I just don't see more than 2-3 guys on this current Cowboy Defense that you can use as a foundation to quickly retool this Defense as you suggest.  Everything I've seen on their salary cap issues don't suggest "manageable outs before 2021" for Zeke and Jaylon.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/#:~:text=Ezekiel Elliott signed a 6 year%2C %2490%2C000%2C000 contract,guaranteed%2C and an average annual salary of %2415%2C000%2C000.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jaylon-smith-18982/

i guess when you allude to having a QB, your assuming franchising Dak or maybe signing him to a 3-4yr new deal??  But that OL is getting older and continues to deteriorate -- hence all the injuries.  And if you keep Dak, money for retooling is limited.  This roster is no where close to a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl.

My conclusion is " the bones of this structure" are no longer strong enough to remodel.  It's a TEAR DOWN and REBUILD...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Byron Jones and the Miami secondary have been 100% healthy for the last 3 weeks. The result, the number one defense in the league in terms of points per game and turnovers over their last 3 games. Hmm. Funny what a good secondary does for the rest of your team. Byron Jones and Xavien Howard are widely regarded as the best cornerback tandem in the league right now.

And now I’ll pull a Vic and say “bUt hE dOeSn’T gEt TuRnOvErS”

Edited by youdunnf'dup

49 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t see them paying a top flight qb market value. I think they’ll either trade up and draft a guy or sign a free agent qb (like teddy b level) and go from there. 

This just doesn't make any sense. They fucked themselves when they signed Zeke. 

The "we'll just plug in a FA QB" approach almost never works. Combining that with overpaying a rapidly depreciating asset like Zeke is a formula for another 5 years of mediocrity.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TornACL said:

This just doesn't make any sense. They fucked themselves when they signed Zeke. 

The "we'll just plug in a FA QB" approach almost never works. Combining that with overpaying a rapidly depreciating asset like Zeke is a formula for another 5 years of mediocrity.

I was referring to the Patriots. I know it never works, but my point is I think they’ll keep doing that until they draft a guy that’s “their guy”. From a roster construction standpoint, they aren’t close to being a contender. It wouldn’t make sense for them to pay a franchise qb market value. That’s just not what they do. It’s going to be a team that feels like they’re a qb away IMO, and it’s going to be after we blow it this off-season and franchise him again.