Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are interested in QBs available for 2021 NFL Draft...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2917397-ranking-the-top-10-quarterbacks-eligible-for-the-2021-nfl-draft

Ranking the Top 10 Quarterbacks Eligible for the 2021 NFL Draft

1.  Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
  2. Justin Fields, Ohio State
  3. Trey Lance, North Dakota State
  4. Mac Jones, Alabama
  5. Kyle Trask, Florida
  6. Zach Wilson, BYU
  7. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
  8. Jamie Newman, Georgia
  9. Brock Purdy, Iowa State
  10. Sam Ehlinger, Texas

(Seems like Trask and Zach Wilson are higher on other analysts boards)

Edited by LTtxfan

22 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Jerry must act differently in other his business interests than he does running the Cowboys.

He’s obviously a great businessman in his other endeavors but he doesn’t have a clue on the concept of using leverage in contract negotiation when it come to his players.

They also leak who they really want to pick in the draft every year eliminating them getting who they really want year after year. How many times has Philly, for instance, taken someone the Cowboys liked right before them because the Cowboys have blabbing to the press for weeks who they want to pick.

Saying now that they have no plans to draft another QB with the third pick in the draft because Dak is their QB of the future they have effectively removed any leverage they have when they sit down to seriously negotiate Dak’s contract.

It’s maddening

Jerry's other "business ventures" mostly seem to be attaching a Dallas Cowboys logo stuff and then selling it.

48 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If you are interested in QBs available for 2021 NFL Draft...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2917397-ranking-the-top-10-quarterbacks-eligible-for-the-2021-nfl-draft

Ranking the Top 10 Quarterbacks Eligible for the 2021 NFL Draft

1.  Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
  2. Justin Fields, Ohio State
  3. Trey Lance, North Dakota State
  4. Mac Jones, Alabama
  5. Kyle Trask, Florida
  6. Zach Wilson, BYU
  7. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
  8. Jamie Newman, Georgia
  9. Brock Purdy, Iowa State
  10. Sam Ehlinger, Texas

(Seems like Trask and Zach Wilson are higher on other analysts boards)

I think Wilson is as damn near as good as the top 2.  Throws a beautiful ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Dak came within a FG of getting them to the NFC title game, when he was a low paid rookie behind one of the top 2-3 lines in football with some decent weapons to work with and an at least somewhat serviceable defense.  

When he's making 40 mil a year he will never have that level of pieces around him. Will never have that level protection or even as serviceable a defense as 2016. A real organization could ensure they get a top 2 pick by playing Nooch the rest of the way, sign Dak, flip that top 2 pick for a couple of firsts plus a few other picks and have the ability to draft good cheap talent around him for the next 3-4 years. The jones just can't. They aren't capable and are unwilling to find someone who is. 

That's why the only chance the Jones' have is with a cheap rookie contract QB so they can have the cap leeway to potentially overcome their bad roster and draft mistakes for a shot at a one off year like 2016. 

This is an incorrect assessment.  The 2016 Cowboys you talk about when rookie Dak almost took the team to the NFC championship, they had a high priced QB.  Tony Romo had a cap hit of over 20 million and almost 14% of the cap.  The team was coming off a horrid 2015 season whereby our 20m QB got hurt and we struggled to a top 5 pick.  What did the Cowboys do?  They  fucking spent this great draft asset on a fucking RB, one of the dumbest things you can do...... and we still went 13-3 because we lucked into Dak.  The issue wasn't specifically paying Romo on those 2010-215 teams, just as it wouldn't be the only issue paying Dak 34 millionish in AAV.  The issue is not fucking up and having bad contracts all over the field.  In Zeke (who I still think is a good, not great player).  In Jaylon.  In Poe.  In Sean Lee. 

I'm not arguing that having a really good QB on a rookie deal is a bad thing (it's a great thing), but it's also not true that you can't compete with a QB on a non-rookie deal.  An organization simply has to bee good at identifying talent in the draft, spending wisely in FA, and attract again vets who may have a little gas left.  In 2016, we had an overpaid Brandon Carr and Tyrone Crawford and Dez Bryant. 

If your argument is management is too incompetent to try and compete with a high priced QB, ask yourself if you trust them to draft a high rated QB.  Remember, Jerrah wanted to trade up for Brock Osweiler in 2016 and couldn't find a taker.  We wanted Manziel and had to have the phone taken away from, he wanted to draft the stiff from Michigan State, Connor Cook.  We lucked into Romo just like we sort of lucked into Dak..... if we get the 3/4th pick, do you trust the Cowboys to evaluate and take the next leader of the franchise????  Sign Dak or don't sign Dak, it's still the same clowns re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

You're right I forgot about Romo being there. How in the hell did that team manage to almost make it to the NFC title game

Offensive line was truly at its peak. Zeke was fresh-legged and at his peak. With those two parts we controlled the clock every game and dominated time of possession. On top of that, Dak was an excellent game manager. He didn't turn the ball over and made key throws when he needed to. The defense didn't have to be on the field much but when they were they over-performed.

Some light reading... https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/prescott-is-down-in-dallas-is-he-out-to 

Is the Cowboys' best play dumping games and then dumping Dak Prescott?

The NFC East is in the midst of an interesting inverted divisional race. The Cowboys, Giants and Redskins are all battling to get the best pick in the draft. That, of course, requires they be the worst team in the league. Can they do it?

Don’t bet against them.

As of this morning the Jets hold the top spot among the bottom feeders with a 0-9 record that they’ve shown few signs of changing. For example, when they realized they might have a chance to beat the New England Patriots last weekend after stopping them on a critical third down that forced a field goal late in the game they immediately lined up with 12 men on the field.

First down, Patriots.

Plays like that can go a long way toward preserving the inside rail in the race for Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence or Ohio State signal-caller Justin Fields because they show not only an absence of talent on the field but an absence of brain power in the coaches’ office. That’s a dual threat that is tough to beat. But the NFC is ready to meet that challenge.

Right behind the Jets in the battle for cellar dweller comes the 1-7 Jacksonville Jaguars, but they often look like a team that has a pulse. One can hardly say the same about the Cowboys, Giants and Redskins, who are all 2-7 and tied for either second place or last place in the NFC LEast, depending on your perspective.

This week both owner Jerry Jones and his son Stephen, who is the Cowboys’ executive vice-president, assured Cowboys' fans that they love Dak Prescott, even with a broken ankle. They didn’t love him enough to give him the kind of long-term contract he wanted last offseason, but with their team down and Prescott out with a broken ankle the Jones Boys wanted to assure the world that Dallas would never think of drafting another quarterback if they end up beating out the Jets, Jags and most of their division for a suite in the cellar.

“Yes," Jerry Jones told 105.3 The Fan in Dallas when asked if it was crazy to suggest Dallas might go after Lawrence or Fields in the draft next spring. "You're asking me: Is it crazy to bring the idea up? And I'm answering it, yes. We're playing games here, guys, but it's not the thing to be talking about here at all. You know, Dak is our quarterback."

Actually, you know, Dak isn’t.

Dak is out for the year with a gruesomely shattered ankle, and while he’s likely to have a full recovery by next season one never knows. All one really knows is that Jones had a chance last off-season to lockup Prescott long-term when he was still healthy and told him, “I’ll el paso.’’

The Giants just invested a high pick in struggling quarterback Daniel Jones, and as shaky as he’s seemed it’s hard to believe they’d give up on him two years into his career. Washington, if it can lose often enough to bypass its friends at the bottom of the NFC LEast, plus the Jets and Jags, certainly would grab one of those two quarterbacks. So there’s no reason to ask. Most likely they’ll grab the wrong one, but that’s a Daniel Snyder story for another day.

Which gets us back to the question of the moment: If the Cowboys continue to sink and end up with the first or second pick in 2021 will they dump Prescott, who threw for 4,902 yards with 30 touchdowns and only 11 interceptions last season while standing on two good ankles, for the new girl in class?

The answer to that is easy. As Deep Throat told the reporters who broke the Watergate story, “Follow the money’’ and where the money leads is not to Dak Prescott being in Dallas next season if the Cowboys can fall far enough to take Lawrence or Fields.

Prescott was guaranteed $31.4 million on the franchise tag this season. When the two sides could not come to an agreement on length of contract, Jones slapped the tag on him and basically said “We’ll see what happens.’’ Now he’s in a cast and his future is uncertain. More importantly, his bargaining position this offseason will be weakened, not that Jerry would ever use that against him, right?

Should the Cowboys use the franchise tag on him again in 2021, it would cost Dallas $37.7 million. The Cowboys offered Prescott a five-year deal that approached nearly $35 million a year and included a $50-million signing bonus and $111 million in guaranteed money last off season, and he said “No thanks’’ and gambled on himself.

He lost that gamble when his ankle snapped, and it seems unlikely Jones would tag him again or offer the same deal he already turned down if he can pick off Lawrence or Fields with the draft’s first or second pick. Why, you ask?

Follow the money.

A top-five pick in the 2021 draft would get a maximum four-year contract worth around $40 million guaranteed, plus a fifth-year option. So Dallas could have complete control of its quarterback for the next five years at a price that has them on the hook for less than half of the guaranteed money Prescott will likely demand and, probably, command.

So is it crazy to think Jerry Jones, the ultimate businessman, would dump a proven commodity with a bum ankle for an untested rookie who has been lighting up college football for a year or two?

If he’s in position to do it. Crazy if he doesn’t, frankly.  

Edited by LTtxfan

Jaylon Smith is a “cornerstone” damnit! Zeke is the straw! Cornerstone??? Wtf? 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/11/13/21562954/cowboys-news-jerry-jones-calls-linebacker-jaylon-smith-a-cornerstone-player

I agree with that writer for the Dallas morning news that it’s best not to deal with optimism, hope and faith when talking about the Cowboys. Reality and pragmatism serve us better. If only we could get the “GM” to fucking see what’s happening. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So, some good news..... Now, this is only rookies and Tyler has a long way to go, but he's been an above-average run blocker.  He still struggles in pass pro, but for a rookie without a full offseason, he's been a nice find thus far.  Let's hope he progresses and is the Center for the next decade.

I feel like Biadasz sucks ass at snapping the ball to someone in shotgun. It always seems like a shit snap some way or another. Either it takes forever to get back there or it’s low 

16 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is an incorrect assessment.  The 2016 Cowboys you talk about when rookie Dak almost took the team to the NFC championship, they had a high priced QB.  Tony Romo had a cap hit of over 20 million and almost 14% of the cap.  The team was coming off a horrid 2015 season whereby our 20m QB got hurt and we struggled to a top 5 pick.  What did the Cowboys do?  They  fucking spent this great draft asset on a fucking RB, one of the dumbest things you can do...... and we still went 13-3 because we lucked into Dak.  The issue wasn't specifically paying Romo on those 2010-215 teams, just as it wouldn't be the only issue paying Dak 34 millionish in AAV.  The issue is not fucking up and having bad contracts all over the field.  In Zeke (who I still think is a good, not great player).  In Jaylon.  In Poe.  In Sean Lee. 

I'm not arguing that having a really good QB on a rookie deal is a bad thing (it's a great thing), but it's also not true that you can't compete with a QB on a non-rookie deal.  An organization simply has to bee good at identifying talent in the draft, spending wisely in FA, and attract again vets who may have a little gas left.  In 2016, we had an overpaid Brandon Carr and Tyrone Crawford and Dez Bryant. 

If your argument is management is too incompetent to try and compete with a high priced QB, ask yourself if you trust them to draft a high rated QB.  Remember, Jerrah wanted to trade up for Brock Osweiler in 2016 and couldn't find a taker.  We wanted Manziel and had to have the phone taken away from, he wanted to draft the stiff from Michigan State, Connor Cook.  We lucked into Romo just like we sort of lucked into Dak..... if we get the 3/4th pick, do you trust the Cowboys to evaluate and take the next leader of the franchise????  Sign Dak or don't sign Dak, it's still the same clowns re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I don’t necessarily trust them to draft a qb, but I personally think Justin Fields is a can’t miss prospect. Maybe not to the level of Lawrence, but not far off. He’s the total package. I’m not saying we should draft him and not pay Dak, but if that’s the route we took I would understand. Let’s put it that way 

13 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I feel like Biadasz sucks ass at snapping the ball to someone in shotgun. It always seems like a shit snap some way or another. Either it takes forever to get back there or it’s low 

I agree.  He needs an offseason with Frederick on just snapping.  He also is going to have to work on quitting the white man's lurch.  He loses his base and leverage a lot because he's not moving his feet.

11 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t necessarily trust them to draft a qb, but I personally think Justin Fields is a can’t miss prospect. Maybe not to the level of Lawrence, but not far off. He’s the total package. I’m not saying we should draft him and not pay Dak, but if that’s the route we took I would understand. Let’s put it that way 

Yea, FTR, I like Fields a lot...... exactly why I said pick 3 or 4.  I'm not sure how long it would take Fields to "get it" as he doesn't have a ton of reps, but I wouldn't be mad at selecting Fields and trading Dak if we somehow got the 2nd pick.  And I'm someone who thinks Dak has a huge qualitative benefits and intangibles inside the locker room.  It's pretty obvious the guy is widely respected and liked.  The biggest controversy in his career is if he had a COVID party of 20 people.  But Fields has really impressed me.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I think Wilson is as damn near as good as the top 2.  Throws a beautiful ball. 

Bleacher Report absolutely sucks.  Having Wilson 5th amongst that crop is trash.  

18 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

And I think a lot of that success was having Dak on a cheap rookie deal. After paying him top 5 QB money, yeah we're most likely not gonna do much with a depleted roster. 

I think you're wrong.  It had NOTHING to do with a cheap Dak, and how much he progressed as he gained experience.  In 2016 he had that ELITE OL(the last time it was) and a really good run game.  2017 started the decline, and as such, Dak struggled.  Until mid 2018(just Dak's 3rd season, BTW) when he suddenly started figuring it out.  2019 showed that he could be really good, potentially great, as a passer, and the start of this year cemented that.

This take that "You can't pay Dak because the team will suck" is such a lazy take.  You're listing to talking heads and media members that only sell narratives.

Dak's contract will NOT be detrimental to the team.

And even if you think Lawrence and/or Fields are can't miss prospects, even if they are, it'll take a few years for them to even be as good as Dak is NOW.  And that's if they even get that far.  They could be really good...and just be Matt Ryan or Stafford.

We have a PROVEN guy.  The ONLY way this makes any sense is if they do end up trading Dak(I still think it's the wrong move, but at least they'll get something for him).  But I still think trading down from a Top 2/3 pick and getting a bunch of Top 100 picks, that are cheap BTW, is the best way to rebuild.  I trust them more drafting that I do with extra fucking money.

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

All of this.  I really don't get how this is hard to understand.

At the end of the day we KNOW what we have in Dak and that he'll keep this team competitive regardless of the idiots in the Front Office or whoever's on the sideline.  You really want to put a rookie into this shit?  And use you're best asset to probably get worse at the most important position just to save money?  Instead of using it to replenish the team by trading back?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Cowboys_Draft_Rooting_Guide.png  

So far in first half...

• Jags         10         GBay     7          
  • NYGiants  14        Eagles 3
  • Texans     0            Browns 3
  • Wash        3            Lions. 14

Can’t count on any help from Texans. I’m sure whatever spirit the players had left was sucked out of them hearing Romeo will end up being their coach next year. Did Bieniemy piss in the GM punch bowl or something? He gets passed over and asshats like Gase have HC jobs 

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So far in first half...

• Jags         10         GBay     7          
  • NYGiants  14        Eagles 3
  • Texans     0            Browns 3
  • Wash        3            Lions. 14

Well at least the NYGiants won...  😁 

Edited by LTtxfan

Has anyone written about the worst case scenario for Dallas 2021 Draft Position if they lose all of their remaining games??     Not sure how tiebreakers would work out for Dallas and HOU/LAC -- but if Cowboys end up with a 2-14 record, they have a great shot at the #3 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

• Cincy could really help the Cowboys by beating Dallas, and losing to all 3 of the following:  1)WASH, 2)NYG and HOU.  
  • Of course, Dallas losing all 3 remaining NFL East games helps improve their draft slot.

Cowboys Remaining 2020 Schedule...

Sun, 11/22
@MINMIN
3:25 PM
FOX
FOX
12 Thu, 11/26
vsWSHWSH
3:30 PM   FOX
13 Thu, 12/3
@BALBAL
7:20 PM   FOX
14 Sun, 12/13
@CINCIN
12:00 PM   FOX
15 Sun, 12/20
vsSFSF
7:20 PM   NBC
16 Sun, 12/27
vsPHIPHI
3:25 PM   FOX
17 Sun, 1/3
@NYGNYG
12:00 PM FOX

Current Bottom of the NFL

• Jets       0-9
  • JAX        1-8
  • DAL        2-7
  • HOU        2-7
  • WASH     2-7
  • LAC          2-6
  • NYG         3-7
  • PHI          3-5-1
  • CIN          2-5-1

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Has anyone written about the worst case scenario for Dallas 2021 Draft Position if they lose all of their remaining games??     Not sure how tiebreakers would work out for Dallas and HOU/LAC -- but if Cowboys end up with a 2-14 record, they have a great shot at the #3 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

• Cincy could really help the Cowboys by beating Dallas, and losing to all 3 of the following:  1)WASH, 2)NYG and HOU.  
  • Of course, Dallas losing all 3 remaining NFL East games helps improve their draft slot.

Sun, 11/22
@MINMIN
FOX
FOX
12 Thu, 11/26
vsWSHWSH
13 Thu, 12/3
@BALBAL
14 Sun, 12/13
@CINCIN
15 Sun, 12/20
vsSFSF
16 Sun, 12/27
vsPHIPHI
17 Sun, 1/3
@NYGNYG

• Jets       0-9
  • JAX        1-8
  • DAL        2-7
  • HOU        2-7
  • WASH     2-7
  • LAC          2-6
  • NYG         3-7
  • PHI          3-5-1
  • CIN          2-5-1

Man, can you imagine if LAC (since they clearly have their QB) gets Cosmi? Or HOU? Or CIN? 

33 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Man, can you imagine if LAC (since they clearly have their QB) gets Cosmi? Or HOU? Or CIN? 

Too bad Miami has the Texans 1st Rd pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Cosmi goes to JAX (from Rams) in this recent mock draft at #21

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2020/11/12/nfl-mock-draft-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-cowboys-giants/6260945002/I

Cowboys could get a great pick at #3, or possibly trade down and add a few additional draft picks ala "Bill Belichick"

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2020/11/12/nfl-mock-draft-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-cowboys-giants/6260945002/I

Cowboys could get a great pick at #3, or possibly trade down and add a few additional draft picks ala "Bill Belichick"

How's Bill doing without the best QB of his generation in Brady?  I don't mind trading down if we get a huge package, but if we get 3, I'd rather just take Sewell.

How's Bill doing without the best QB of his generation in Brady?  I don't mind trading down if we get a huge package, but if we get 3, I'd rather just take Sewell.

He's leading the league in players opting out. QB was out with covid. Offense looks better than the last performance with Brady. No Edelman. You know the guy who won them the last Super Bowl. Well at least their best offensive player.

Actually no idea about opting out but you wouldn't recognize the guys in the front seven.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think Wentz is the worst QB in this division. Alex Smith, Daniel Jones and Dalton/Gilbert are all better,

He's a big flaming pile of shit. 

Read a ton of blog posts re:Wentz. He has former players calling him out as being “uncoachable.” That the coaches need to approach him and coach him up. Wentz has a lot of the intangibles (or did before he got hurt). He’s regressed quite a bit. He’s not planting his foot when he throws. He’s made terrible decisions. The fans want Hurts. Fuck Philly and fuck Wentz but it’s obvious that something has gone horribly wrong with his development. Which is fine. They should use Hurts to see what’s there. I don’t care about Philly. Hate them. But from an X’s and O’s perspective Wentz continues to regress. I don’t know why. The coaches should see this. The rumors about him not being coachable have to be true.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Read a ton of blog posts re:Wentz. He has former players calling him out as being “uncoachable.” That the coaches need to approach him and coach him up. Wentz has a lot of the intangibles (or did before he got hurt). He’s regressed quite a bit. He’s not planting his foot when he throws. He’s made terrible decisions. The fans want Hurts. Fuck Philly and fuck Wentz but it’s obvious that something has gone horribly wrong with his development. Which is fine. They should use Hurts to see what’s there. I don’t care about Philly. Hate them. But from an X’s and O’s perspective Wentz continues to regress. I don’t know why. The coaches should see this. The rumors about him not being coachable have to be true.

I've also heard that his teammates do not like him.

And I do not think they trust him in the huddle and think they have a great chance to win. His team was dead in the water in 2018 until Foles came in and saved their season. They rallied around Foles and liked playing for him.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Sun, 11/22
@MINMIN
FOX
FOX
12 Thu, 11/26
vsWSHWSH
13 Thu, 12/3
@BALBAL
14 Sun, 12/13
@CINCIN
15 Sun, 12/20
vsSFSF
16 Sun, 12/27
vsPHIPHI
17 Sun, 1/3
@NYGNYG

• Jets       0-9
  • JAX        1-8
  • DAL        2-7
  • HOU        2-7
  • WASH     2-7
  • LAC          2-6
  • NYG         3-7
  • PHI          3-5-1
  • CIN          2-5-1

could’ve saved yourself some time by just typing “water is wet”

great post, though.  

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

After seeing that DHop game winning catch from the gnome yesterday, all I could think about was how bad it sucks for H-Town to have traded that dude and also not have their 1st round 2021 Draft Pick...

14 hours ago, Had Enough said:

He's leading the league in players opting out. QB was out with covid. Offense looks better than the last performance with Brady. No Edelman. You know the guy who won them the last Super Bowl. Well at least their best offensive player.

Actually no idea about opting out but you wouldn't recognize the guys in the front seven.

tenor.gif

We'll catch up in the New England Patriots thread, but the point is missing an upper tier QB is difficult to overcome and that's with the Pats having a former MVP at the helm.  And Edelman is washed without Brady, dude.  They're averaging almost a TD less in offense, so looking better is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Moving on, wonder if Dallas will look at this guy.  He was sort of disappointing before all his legal trouble, but charges dropped and he's a former first rounder.

21 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

tenor.gif

We'll catch up in the New England Patriots thread, but the point is missing an upper tier QB is difficult to overcome and that's with the Pats having a former MVP at the helm.  And Edelman is washed without Brady, dude.  They're averaging almost a TD less in offense, so looking better is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Moving on, wonder if Dallas will look at this guy.  He was sort of disappointing before all his legal trouble, but charges dropped and he's a former first rounder.

This season has more to do with the Patriots selling out to win a championship the last few years, and their defense regressing. And by selling out, i mean doing stupid shit like trading a 2nd round pick for Sanu. Last year their defense was great for most of the season, until it wasn’t. Same shitty skill guys, same shitty/gimmicky offense, but the defense was a lot better. Having twice as many players opt out as any other team doesn’t help either. Long story short, this team is bad and 44 year old Tom Brady wasn’t changing that at all. 

• Like 1

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/11/17/21560638/cowboys-midseason-review-who-or-what-was-the-biggest-disappointment-of-the-first-half 

Cowboys midseason review: Who or what was the biggest disappointment of the first half?

Three folks picked Jaylon...

DannyPhantom:    The biggest disappointment to me is the poor play of the defense, in particular - Jaylon Smith. We knew coming into this year that there were going to be some growing pains with a defensive coaching makeover, but I couldn’t have predicted it would be this excruciating. The injuries are plentiful and the team has gotten next to nothing from their free agent acquisitions, but the thing that caught me the most off guard was 54’s performance. Jaylon just looks like a rookie out there. His reaction is slow, his decision making is sketchy, he’s often running in the wrong direction, and even when he almost makes a nice play, he ends up getting flagged for some cheap penalty. If it was happening here and there, we could get mad at the officiating, or chalk it up to “everyone makes mistakes.” However, it’s a regular thing with him. I love the guy as a person, but his performance combined with the unpredictable health of Leighton Vander Esch has me putting a top collegiate linebacker atop my draft wish list.

Matt Holleran:  My biggest disappointment through the first half of the season has to be Jaylon Smith. After a rough year in 2019, I really believed Smith would rebound big in 2020. So far, it’s been about the opposite. Smith has looked, at times, worse than he did last season, and his ability to go sideline to sideline seems to keep getting worse. Now you can’t put all the blame on Smith. The Dallas defensive tackles have been getting blown off the ball all season, making it hard for the linebackers to be free to make plays, but Smith has to be better. With the money the Cowboys are paying him, Smith needs to be a difference maker. Currently, he’s not.

David Howman:  Jaylon Smith definitely disappointed me the most. I was expecting him to be take a huge step forward in this defense, and he didn’t. Part of that is due to the poor play of the defensive tackles, but Smith has also routinely walked himself into blocks or been completely out of position on plays. Smith also discussed the complexity of the defense and how it’s affected his play.  I was a fan of Smith’s coming into this season but I’ve been so disappointed by his performance that I can’t argue bringing him back next year.

Edited by LTtxfan

24 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah we know. You say so at every opportunity. Shut up. 

Cowboys will compete for this division. I don’t know why y’all are wasting time with top draft pick slot analysis. They’ll win 4/6 games. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3441243

C'mon Cowboys...  2-14        #3 pick in 2021 NFL Draft  😁 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1