Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Brew said:

Tank this year and by tank I mean go 0 for the rest of the year. Trade out of the early pick unless there is someone that can make a difference next year, sign Dak, fire Nolan and McCarthy, bring in one of the young college guys, make another run at it next year. The release Dak nonsense is stupid, we’ve seen what the other side of the coin looks like. They need to fix the D and the OL and use this one year drop to get better draft picks. Fuck playing the QB lottery in the draft, it’s not worth it. I would throw hire a legitimate GM in there but that may be a bridge too far.

Absolutely all of this. It's what I've been preaching.

Now if they decide to Tag and Trade Dak for a decent package and still drop down to get more picks I'd probably be okay with that too.

I'm just not sure how any rookie QB helps. Fuck that cheap contract(we've already seen this team with a cheap QB) and even if you're a Lawrence/Fields truther and think they'll be miles better than Dak, it'll take several years for that to come to fruition.

BTW, this is NOT a 3 year rebuild or some shit. Teams ebb and flow all the time. Wouldn't shock me at all that a new DC, some new players, and a healthy OL/Dak returns this team to 10 wins.

• Fuck You 1

49 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

As bad as Philly is, they have a pass rush and they’re still good at stopping the run. We ain’t covering this week. Then it’s going to be really interesting to see what the line is next week. Even if it’s Pitt -20 I don’t see how we cover. Let’s break records this year, boys.

Going to be hard to cover 7 when your plan has to be run 100% of the time now and you have no OL to run behind. How many times can Philly fumble in the end zone for Dallas to get some points?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Going to be hard to cover 7 when your plan has to be run 100% of the time now and you have no OL to run behind. How many times can Philly fumble in the end zone for Dallas to get some points?

It’s just funny because you’ll hear gambling “experts” say shit like 

“this team is 1-4 against the spread as a road underdog.” 

No hidden info for us. Pretty straight forward. Bet away bettors 

6 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think the only way McCarthy gets fired is if we just don’t show an ounce of “fight” for the rest of the year. I think he gets a mulligan with the coaching staff and the covid excuse. But if we just get the doors blown off of us every week, especially against teams like Washington, NYG, and cincy, I think he’s gone. Every packers fan I know personally and on Reddit laughed at this hire. And LOL at the idea that Jerry said he didn’t want to hire a young innovative coach. Look at all the young coaches around the league right now. Maybe I’m forgetting someone, but ALL of them have been pretty successful this year. Every single one. Kevin Stefanski (sp?) was pretty unproven, and he has the browns at 5-2. We need a young mind to get in here and shake things up. 

I'm sure Jerry wanted to hire Kellen Moore so he could have his new "look what I found, I'm such a smart fantastic football man" Jason Garrett but knew there was no way he could get away with it.  Or Stephen talked him out of it.

12 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I'm sure Jerry wanted to hire Kellen Moore so he could have his new "look what I found, I'm such a smart fantastic football man" Jason Garrett but knew there was no way he could get away with it.  Or Stephen talked him out of it.

Wish people would stop buying any Cowboys gear and going to games and hit them in the pocket book like they deserve.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

The funny thing is the spread is 9.5 now 

Should be more like 17.

20 hours ago, Drew said:

Absolutely all of this. It's what I've been preaching.

Now if they decide to Tag and Trade Dak for a decent package and still drop down to get more picks I'd probably be okay with that too.

I'm just not sure how any rookie QB helps. Fuck that cheap contract(we've already seen this team with a cheap QB) and even if you're a Lawrence/Fields truther and think they'll be miles better than Dak, it'll take several years for that to come to fruition.

BTW, this is NOT a 3 year rebuild or some shit. Teams ebb and flow all the time. Wouldn't shock me at all that a new DC, some new players, and a healthy OL/Dak returns this team to 10 wins.

The real decision is if we get the 2/3rd pick.  How does Dallas feel about Justin Fields?  There are others hanging around the top 10 but Lance is playing and not sure Wilson will get enough helium to get in the top 3 picks on merit (not draft value of Qbs).  So, Dallas hasn't done trading down well.  If you have a shot at the next Tyron Smith then I think you take him and start him at RT and then move him to LT when Smith's contract is up or ready to retire, which with his back, is probably in the next 2-3 years.  If you can't get him and it's a bunch of defensive dudes like LB, CB, DT, then trading down to later in the top 10 makes some sense.

Through 7 games, this defense has 1 pick. It came in the first game on a play where we hit Goff in the head and probably should not have counted. Atrocious. They are never even close to making any plays. Every team just plays easy pitch and catch against us. They have been allergic to turnovers for so long now.

And for so many who thought was some savior and a great player, Byron Jones has zero picks with Miami this year.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Through 7 games, this defense has 1 pick. It came in the first game on a play where we hit Goff in the head and probably should not have counted. Atrocious. They are never even close to making any plays. Every team just plays easy pitch and catch against us. They have been allergic to turnovers for so long now.

And for so many who thought was some savior and a great player, Byron Jones has zero picks with Miami this year.

Byron Jones is a good player and is an asset on the field for any team he plays for, but yeah he's allergic to interceptions.  He's got a historically bad interception rate for as many snaps as he has.  Paying that guy top dollar is not smart, but it's not Zeke/Smith extension dumb either.

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Byron Jones is a good player and is an asset on the field for any team he plays for, but yeah he's allergic to interceptions.  He's got a historically bad interception rate for as many snaps as he has.  Paying that guy top dollar is not smart, but it's not Zeke/Smith extension dumb either.

Agreed. But I am only paying big money to a DB if he's a playmaker. He is not and I agreed with letting him walk. It's not like this secondary was so great when he was here. Countless times he trailed defenders for easy gains when we needed stops.

Byron is not a bad player. He isn't a great player. But he was paid like a great player. I was all for gutting this secondary and getting new guys in here. The issue is, they have no idea how to pick these replacement players in the draft. Or they go cheap on safety and wonder why we are bad there every year.

• Like 1

Could we have signed Byron a year before free agency and it been slightly cheaper? How much more expensive was he than Jaylon the bum Smith?

I like that Oregon OT thats expected to go #2 or #3 overall but he opted out this year along with at least a couple other top 10 overall guys. One less year of tape but he seemed like a freak last year.

5 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Wish people would stop buying any Cowboys gear and going to games and hit them in the pocket book like they deserve.

don't care, got stadium built.  the majority of the value of NFL franchises these days is based on stadium value, other land holdings, and TV money.   the cowboys get some bump of course for the Americas team deal just like the Yankees in Baseball.  suites are a bit of a driver also but generic tickets and gear is mice nuts.

37 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Agreed. But I am only paying big money to a DB if he's a playmaker. He is not and I agreed with letting him walk. It's not like this secondary was so great when he was here. Countless times he trailed defenders for easy gains when we needed stops.

Byron is not a bad player. He isn't a great player. But he was paid like a great player. I was all for gutting this secondary and getting new guys in here. The issue is, they have no idea how to pick these replacement players in the draft. Or they go cheap on safety and wonder why we are bad there every year.

interceptions are great, yes.  and you do want cornerbacks who make plays, but there are other ways to make plays that don't involve interceptions.  

every time a CB covers their guy and prevents the qb from throwing to them, that's a play.  jones ranked 9th in the entire NFL in fewest receptions per game allowed.  2.2 receptions per game.  on top of that, if you allow a reception you want to limit them to the lowest number of yards possible.  even better if you can prevent the pass from being completed.  jones ranked 2nd in the league with 5.1 yards per target and 4th in fewest yards allowed last year.  in coverage rating and catch rate allowed he was ranked 4th.  

INTs are awesome to have but you can't use that as the end all be all metric.  there are plays being made all the time you can't see if you're not looking for them.  you can keep saying jones isn't great b/c he didn't have INTs, but remember pass breakups on 3rd down result in turnovers on downs also.  

source

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Could we have signed Byron a year before free agency and it been slightly cheaper? How much more expensive was he than Jaylon the bum Smith?

I like that Oregon OT thats expected to go #2 or #3 overall but he opted out this year along with at least a couple other top 10 overall guys. One less year of tape but he seemed like a freak last year.

Probably.  We'd clearly be better with a cheaper body to replace smith and Jones at corner, but that's not the only thing this defense is missing.  It's a failure at all levels.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I believe he signed as the highest paid DB correct?  

He did. He isn’t worth that right now IMO (even though you’re worth what the market dictates that you’re worth). But that should’ve been an automatic franchise tag to see if he can improve on being a corner since he’s only been a corner for half of his professional career. We really fucked him over making him a saftey, which is laughable thinking about in hindsight considering how we never put any valuable draft capital into improving saftey.

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

In DiNucci I trust. 

I'm looking forward to watching him play. I don't expect much, but if he has his plays down he possibly be more effective than Dalton because he's got some slipperyness to him, good feet to escape some pressure and freelance on the run. With a doomed team, I would rather watch a young QB get his feet wet and find out if there is any hope for his future as an NFL QB, at least as a backup.

Having Byron Jones on this team wouldn't have helped much, other than to trash his future value. Better off getting him off the books and rebooting and getting the comp pick. Horrific d-lines with no inside pressure and no ability to stop the run make most any cornerback look like shit.

23 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s obvious we are now in rebuild mode. The fire sale Should occur after the Phily game. Unless we somehow win and decide to try and win our shittay division so we can get destroyed in the post season. Some team has to be sacrifice themselves for the NFC East. Lol

Will Jerrah have enough courage to let DAK go and truly rebuild over the next few years??

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Will Jerrah have enough courage to let DAK go and truly rebuild over the next few years??

That’s the rub. We’d definitely get some shiny draft picks for sure. I don’t want to part with Dak honestly but he deserves to play on a team with a chance. Hopefully, he will play on the same level as he was before the injury. We need draft picks though badly. What scares all of us is who is doing the damn drafting. Would be great  to have a GM like Baltimore had or like KC Has doing the drafting

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That’s the rub. We’d definitely get some shiny draft picks for sure. I don’t want to part with Dak honestly but he deserves to play on a team with a chance. Hopefully, he will play on the same level as he was before the injury. We need draft picks though badly. What scares all of us is who is doing the damn drafting. Would be great  to have a GM like Baltimore had or like KC Has doing the drafting

Poor contract decisions on Zeke and Jaylon, plus often injured players like Leighton & Tyron spell bad times for 2021 and possibly 2022.

Wish Cowboys would trade Amari for a 2nd Rd pick to free up more money.  This team has to rebuild the roster -- they are currently one of the worst 5 teams without DAK and nowhere close to winning a Superbowl.

BLOW IT ALL UP JERRAH !!!

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Poor contract decisions on Zeke and Jaylon, plus often injured players like Leighton & Tyron spell bad times for 2021 and possibly 2022.

Wish Cowboys would trade Amari for a 2nd Rd pick to free up more money.  This team has to rebuild the roster -- they are currently one of the worst 5 teams without DAK and nowhere close to winning a Superbowl.

BLOW IT ALL UP JERRAH !!!

Sadly if you to make Jerruh choose between blowing up the actual stadium and hiring a real GM to put in charge...

The thing is we're actually not that bad. We've got a lot of injuries on the offensive line making us look worse than we actually are. Defense needs a lot of talent. If we could draft heavy on defense and flip one of our wide receivers for some defensive help or a draft pick that would be nice. But I don't think we need to gut the team.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Im predict Nooch flashes enough potential to be futureman’s new Mike White. 

Nah, no one will replace "future HOF if only Dak would have gotten hurt 2 years ago Mike White".

But Nooch has already done enough in practice to vault past Dak though for sure.

16 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

The thing is we're actually not that bad. We've got a lot of injuries on the offensive line making us look worse than we actually are. Defense needs a lot of talent. If we could draft heavy on defense and flip one of our wide receivers for some defensive help or a draft pick that would be nice. But I don't think we need to gut the team.

This.  People are acting like they need some kind of massive rebuild.  Not really. They're not the Jets or Jax or even Cleveland for half a decade.

They're an injury riddled OL and QB spot from being elite offensively(didn't even need the OL to be that honestly), and a decent draft a smart moves in FA(plus coaching change) to be mediocre or better defensively.

People act like this is going to be some kind of 3 year rebuild.  They should be in the division hunt again next year.

11 hours ago, DallasHorn26 said:

A friend raised an interesting point earlier. Are they holding out on Dak to draft or sign Jerry’s grandson in a couple of years? It wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Oh please let this be true. The shit show hilarity will reach all time highs as cowboy fan may go full Jonestown. 

• Fuck You 1