Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

9 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Demarcus Lawrence?

I believe was tagged a 2nd time but signed a long term deal before the deadline.  No one has ever PLAYED on a 2nd Franchise Tag and stayed.

Edited by Drew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

considering squints is probably going to start for us sunday i thought this was timely. 

10 years ago today garrett gilbert started vs kansas state.  in that game he threw 5 INTs.  the kansas state quarterback for the entire game completed two passes.  when the clock hit 00:00, garrett gilbert had completed three more passes to kansas state players than the kansas state quarterback had completed to his own players.  

stats sheet from that game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I’m hoping we draft that kid Zack Wilson from Mormons R Us 

Of all the QB's coming, even more than Lawrence and Fields, I agree.  That dudes arm is legit.  IF the Cowboys are dumb enough to just let Dak walk, Wilson is the guy they need to get.

Still think they should trade that pick, or at worst Tag Dak and trade him.  But they'll get more for Wilson because, once again, the league stupidly thinks rookie QB's who might never be anything are better assets than Franchise QB's.

Now watch them draft some LB or offensive player that is not the OT from Oregon.

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Zeke sitting out Sunday

So glad his rookie deal is up after this year. Let him walk.

He's got at least one year left he has to be on the team. Then after that they can take a 6 or so million dollar cap hit for a couple of years to send him away. 

If anyone wonders why paying Dak over drafting Lawrence or Fields is the wrong thing it's because of shit like that. Has nothing to do with Dak other than the guy can't win it by himself. As terrible as the Jones jackasses are with drafting defense and signing players to big contracts they just won't ever be able to put enough talent around him if he's making $40 mil a year and they keep having to take hits to make mistakes go away. Have to have a cheap rookie deal QB to give them leeway to pay mistakes to go away

• Fuck You 1

He's got at least one year left he has to be on the team. Then after that they can take a 6 or so million dollar cap hit for a couple of years to send him away. 
If anyone wonders why paying Dak over drafting Lawrence or Fields is the wrong thing it's because of shit like that. Has nothing to do with Dak other than the guy can't win it by himself. As terrible as the Jones jackasses are with drafting defense and signing players to big contracts they just won't ever be able to put enough talent around him if he's making $40 mil a year and they keep having to take hits to make mistakes go away. Have to have a cheap rookie deal QB to give them leeway to pay mistakes to go away

Which is why drafting a rookie QB to build around is the WRONG move.

If they’re bad at spending money now what makes you think they’ll better with more money saved from Dak?

Trading back from a Top 5 pick gives you multiple top 100 picks on top of your own in which to cheaply fix the defense and OL. Much smarter than hoping this team suddenly figured out contracts.

Even with the. Ad contracts now they can draft decent to good players(at least have more shots to with more picks) and still be good while eating those bad contracts.

I feel like you’re looking at this the opposite way

4 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

If the boys end up with a top pick outside of the top 3 I hope jerry trades down. 

Trading down requires another team wanting to trade up.  If we are talking a spot where Fields/Lawrence are off the boards then that's a lot less likely.  Not that I am against trading down.  There will be another QB (maybe the BYU kid) that some other team wants.

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Trading down requires another team wanting to trade up.  If we are talking a spot where Fields/Lawrence are off the boards then that's a lot less likely.  Not that I am against trading down.  There will be another QB (maybe the BYU kid) that some other team wants.

If Sewell is there jerry best take him.

He also said Dak and McCarthy are back next year no matter what.  They'll Tag Dak and I always knew McCarthy was getting a pass this season with the weird offseason and all the injuries hitting right out the gate like that.

They'll be contending again next year when they trade down IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I bet it would be fun to play poker opposite Stephen/Jerry Jones. Do they just tell you what cards they are holding? MM is still the coach but JJ/SJ telling us which QB (Dalton) will get to start when he is healthy/ COVID cleared. Not that winning games is what we are after. 
We probably won’t get a “haul” for our draft pick bc JJ/SJ will announce before the draft who we are selecting. Even if we remain in the third spot or if somehow the Jags or Jets win  a couple of games a piece. Then will complain how we had no takers. 
we screwed around with the Dak contract and now they are fired up about him being our QB in 2021. This owner and his dispshit son. For reference the Texans and the Chiefs were able to get their contracts done and JJ/SJ are “fired up.” Lmao. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If y’all think they’re trying to lose, you’re crazy. They’re gonna try and win as many games as possible until it’s clear they can’t win the division. 

Naming Dalton the starter after his shit fest and what Gilbert did against the Steelers absolutely tells me they want a high draft pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Well they've been trying to win all season and they have the 2nd worst point differential in football behind the Jets.

Only problem is we have an easy schedule the rest of the way.

--

image.png.4583387fa9415f9530e31c76b52bd2f4.png

Not sure how easy that really is. Every single one of those teams are better than us currently.

59 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Naming Dalton the starter after his shit fest and what Gilbert did against the Steelers absolutely tells me they want a high draft pick.

Huh?  Gilbert did well.... in context of a 4th string guy off the street a month ago, but let's not get out of hand.  No real scouting on him and the Steelers obviously slept walked through most of the game.  

55% completion, 72.6 QRtg and 49.4 QBR, again, is good in context but is mediocre for a starter at best and he made that huge mistake guys like him are infamous for with the pick in the EZ, which pretty much gave away the game.  I don't care who they really go with as the selection is going to be a poor one with our OL.  But if they were trying to lose, they'd start Gucci every game out and say they wanted to get him reps

I am convinced of one thing....nfl coaches are much stupider than they used to be.   Landry was declining and made a mistake, call it 1988. He thought the boys were on 35 yard line, when they were really on 30. He decided not to kick a fg.  Boys lost game.  Don’t think there was asst coach in his ear telling him yard line.  Maybe.

Compare that to yesterday.  Boys r 14 point underdogs at home...absolutely nothing to lose...ahead 3 0, have had 2 positive plays in a row..4th down and 1 inch....punt...anybody watching the game can tell Steelers were asleep, ripe for the taking...AND the dumbass coach has all of the math/analytics etc. to tell him chances of gaining one  

inch...STILL refuses to go for it....He sent a very strong message to team, you guys can’t gain one inch. Conclusions:

1. He doesn’t watch game.    And

2. He doesn’t want to win game.

What good is he? I’m sure somebody in Dallas has already pulled the numbers on 4th and inches when team is double digit underdog.

I hope somebody in big D tells the ass what the odds are, etc. and asks him if he plans to try to win any remaining games.

This is great to see..... Now can we get some Anae (just a dozen snaps or something) and maybe some Reggie Robinson.  Let the kids play!

Again..... how lucky we were that Lamb fell in our laps.

Chido may be able to play this week..... Too bad Diggs is injured.  Would have liked to see them start at CB with Brown as the 3rd CB.  Our CB position lacks depth so we'll need to draft or sign another one who is ready to play and can actually play.

And for those hoping against hope that we make a change L-T at QB, I think really only Dak and agent can change that.  Dak can force himself out if he wants with contract demands, but it certainly sounds like the FO wants to sign him L-T and use the high draft pick on OL or D.  Trading the pick will be reliant on draft position.

Finally, the Chris Jones era may be finally over.  I wasn't that impressed by Niswander, but he was functional.  King has a big leg, don't know that much about Schmidt except he was with Buffalo.  I would imagine Niswander gets another game at least.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And for those hoping against hope that we make a change L-T at QB, I think really only Dak and agent can change that.  Dak can force himself out if he wants with contract demands, but it certainly sounds like the FO wants to sign him L-T and use the high draft pick on OL or D.  Trading the pick will be reliant on draft position.

This is great to see (Neville Gallimore performance)..... Now can we get some Anae (just a dozen snaps or something) and maybe some Reggie Robinson.  Let the kids play!

Again..... how lucky we were that Lamb fell in our laps.  (K'Lavon only 18 snaps vs Houston -- only 8 pressures on 175 rushing snaps)

Great info on LT/QB futures, Gallimore, and struggles of K'Lavon who had character issues in question going into the NFL draft.

Hope the way things work out that Dallas ends up moving on from DAK in order to speed up the process of Rebuilding...

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Great info on LT/QB futures, Gallimore, and struggles of K'Lavon who had character issues in question going into the NFL draft.

Hope the way things work out that Dallas ends up moving on from DAK in order to speed up the process of Rebuilding...

C'mon man, moving on from a franchise QB is NOT the fastest way to rebuild. Once again, trading a Top 3-5 pick for a bunch of HIGH and CHEAP draft picks is the FASTEST way to rebuild.

Ya'll keep saying they don't have money(regardless of signing Dak or not)with all the bad contracts and bad FA additions. You want to give them MORE money to make more mistakes?

No.  You pay your Franchise QB that you KNOW is on the cusp of being Elite, and you use that pick to refill the cupboard on defense.

BTW the Cowboys look far away because of the horrific injuries on Offense and some on Defense PLUS the horrendous start to the defense this season.  They are not really all that far if Healthy.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

C'mon man, moving on from a franchise QB is NOT the fastest way to rebuild. Once again, trading a Top 3-5 pick for a bunch of HIGH and CHEAP draft picks is the FASTEST way to rebuild.  Ya'll keep saying they don't have money(regardless of signing Dak or not)with all the bad contracts and bad FA additions. You want to give them MORE money to make more mistakes?  No.  You pay your Franchise QB that you KNOW is on the cusp of being Elite, and you use that pick to refill the cupboard on defense.  BTW the Cowboys look far away because of the horrific injuries on Offense and some on Defense PLUS the horrendous start to the defense this season.  They are not really all that far if Healthy.

C'mon man... Roster is fucked up, money is over-committed to the wrong players/positions, and DAK is NOT the long-term answer at QB.  Looking more closely at the roster and most will conclude there are way too many holes to fix by adding the few draft picks they'll receive from trading a Top 3-5 First Rd Pick.

zn0gfl0f2gxa3ujhkken.png

Dallas Cowboys: It’s time to rebuild the roster

by Dink Kearney.       2 weeks ago

After starting 2-4, it’s time for the Dallas Cowboys to shake up their roster from top to bottom.

After watching the Dallas Cowboys lose to the Arizona Cardinals and secure a highly disappointing 2-4 record, its safe to say this team is getting worse in each and every game. The Cowboys are playing their worst football since its inception in 1960.

Without quarterback Dak Prescott to lead the way and cover up flaws, this team is headed down a downward spiral with major consequences and little hope for a reversal. Plane and Simple – It’s time to rebuild the Dallas Cowboys roster to better position them for the future. And this process needs to begin as soon as possible.

Now, I’m not saying the Cowboys should have a fire sale and tank the season for a top-5 draft pick. The rebuilding process is an organizational failure that has poisoned this team. Despite the talent on the Cowboys roster, this team is in rebuilding mode and don’t even know it. YIKES!

Why the Dallas Cowboys need to rebuild their roster 

The hardest thing for the Cowboys to do is readily admit that they’re in a rebuilding mode. On the offensive side of the ball, it’s easy to believe that the Cowboys are as talented as any team in the NFL. But just like a man that’s blinded by love for a woman, the Cowboys are blinded by the fact that it has an aging, and injury-plagued offensive line that is no longer a top-5 unit.

Dallas’ best two offensive tackles, Tyron Smith and La’el Collins, are out for the season with injuries, former All Pro center Travis Frederick has retired, and All Pro guard Zack Martin is currently out with a concussion and is questionable for Sunday’s game against the Washington Football Team.

Add offensive linemen Joe Looney and Cameron Erving to the injury list, that leaves a makeshift offensive line that can’t stop a Pee-Wee football team, let alone stop an average NFL defense. Tyler Biadasz, Terence Steele, Brandon Knight, and Connor Williams are mediocre at best, with only Biadasz being a possible star one day.

Don’t be surprised if Smith decides to retire because of all of the nagging injuries he’s experienced in the last few years.

Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones need to recognize this underlying issue right now and start putting  a plan together to improve it because with no legitimate offensive line, how can it protect it Dak? And remember the game is won in the trenches.

Besides, what’s the point in having one of the best wide receiving corps in the league if the quarterback is always on his back? And  speaking of Dallas’ wide receivers, the front office cannot waste the prime years of Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, and CeeDee Lamb with a declining offensive line.

And this is the main reason why Dallas needs to rebuild. Follow me closely!

Dallas’ defense is the root of all of problems

If you read my past articles, I’ve consistently stated that Dallas had a few players with potential to be Pro Bowlers, particularly in the secondary. Those players were Chidobe Awuzie, Anthony Brown,  Xavier Woods, Jourdan Lewis, and Trevon Diggs. Now the key word is “potential”.

Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, DeMarcus Lawrence, and Randy Gregory had already proven their worth in gold as legit football players, especially D-Law who signed a massive contract. But after watching this Dallas defense perform poorly in six consecutive games, I’ve come to my senses that this defense is absolutely awful on all three levels of the defense.

Sure, there’s are a few individuals that are good and are worth keeping, like Diggs, LVE, Gregory, and D-Law. But after that bunch, the rest of them are either average at best (or need to play on snap count like Jaylon Smith).

This defensive unit has allowed 218 points through six games and that’s to the likes of the lowly New York Giants, pathetic Atlanta Falcons and the rebuilding Arizona Cardinals. People, that is the trait of a talentless  defense that screams rebuild all day long.

Point blank, this defense needs better corners that can cover, more than one linebacker that can play sideline to sideline, and  edge rushers that can consistently get to the quarterback.

Sidenote: If not for a lucky onside kick, this team could easily be 1-5! Think about that and rebuilding.

Sorry D-Law, you’re playing hard with a high motor but you have to make some plays at some point because Aldon Smith has more sacks than you, and Smith had been out of the league for five years. Your best defensive player can’t be a 31 year old player who has seen his best days.

The best way Dallas can fix this atrocious defense and declining offensive line is to make a trade either before the November 3rd trade deadline or during next season’s draft. I wrote an article explaining this trade and got ridiculed ad nauseam.

I said that Dallas should trade Gallup and receive some draft picks to fix their defensive woes, but I also mentioned Dallas could seek a trade for Coop or Cedrick Wilson. It doesn’t matter which player Dallas trades, but  exploring the option would be wise because we all know that Dallas isn’t going to sign Gallup to a long-term contract,

Gallup will walk away in free agency just like former cornerback Byron Jones did. And I’m a big Gallup fan. 

https://sportdfw.com/2020/10/22/dallas-cowboys-time-to-rebuild-roster/

Edited by LTtxfan