Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Question for my fellow Dallas fans: Do the Cowboys have the league's best receiving corps?

Apologies if this has previously been discussed. Haven't been keeping up the past couple of months.

Top 5 if not top 3.  It's ridiculously good from 1-5.  We don't have a dominant TE so not sure if folks consider them part of the package.  Tampa's is awfully good with Evans, Godwin, and Brown.  Add Gronk, Brate, and Scotty Miller.  Pittsburgh's is pretty nasty with Juju, Dionte Johnson, Claypool and Washington.

Next year, SF's if healthy is gonna be nasty with Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle and Bourne.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assman said:

We went from a sure top 4 pick to probably winning this trash division.  Unbelievable.

DAMN... If Cowboys had lost to both the 49ers and Eagles, they would currently be in line for the #3 pick.  (Cowboys are currently at the #11 pick)

Instead the Dolphins (thru the Texans pick) are currently sitting at the #3 pick...

Edited by LTtxfan

46 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Nope. Brady would’ve made it over him. And possibly Brees. 

Literally ZERO point in arguing this considering the circumstances. I believe I’m right, you believe you’re right. Dak started and finished 4 games. I don’t exactly have a lot of data to back up what I’m saying, so we’re just gonna agree to disagree. 

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

DAMN... If Cowboys had lost to both the 49ers and Eagles, they would currently be in line for the #3 pick.  (Cowboys are currently at the #11 pick)

Instead the Dolphins (thru the Texans pick) are currently sitting at the #3 pick...

And as of today the Eagles have the 6th pick and it can get as high as the 3rd pick depending on the results of next week. Or they could just do us a solid next week and beat the WFT. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re obsessed with what could have been. Do you honestly think this team was gonna shut it down?  They were never going to do so. No team in their situation would. 

I didn’t think we’d shut it down, but based on what we saw before the last 3 weeks I thought this team could give max effort and still end up with a top 6 pick. It didn’t happen. That’s not the cowboy way. The Cowboy way is to make you think you have a shot at the postseason all the way up until week 17. Then we’ll probably beat the giants and the washington will beat Philly on SNF. That’s the only cowboy way I know.

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

Brady has 4,200 yards, 36/11, for a team that will finish 11-5 and make the playoffs. I can’t see the players and fans voting Dak above Brady under any circumstance. 

You’re saying that as if the cowboys would be 6-9 with Dak as the starter. I would imagine if Dak had stayed healthy all year, the division would’ve been locked up last week. And the bucs have an impressive win against the packers. Other than that, they’ve gotten embarrassed by pretty much every playoff team they’ve faced. 

But again, I took your bait and decided to play this dumbass “what if” game that doesn’t matter even a tiny bit. So like I said before, agree to disagree. I can’t say you’re wrong. You make a valid argument. And, well...Dak played all of 4 games this season lol. I’m not going to stand on the table and defend this opinion I have. It’s just my opinion. 

it’s official, dakota sucks and dalton should be our qb going forward. let me break it down for you: with a decent OL dak went 1-3. with a shit OL the red rifle has gone 4-4 and also won the giants game in week five with some throws on the final drive that dak only dreams about making. dalton is a proven veteran and won’t demand more than he’s worth because he cares about the team and about winning ballgames. dak is a selfish cancer that will destroy the team if we give in to his ransom demands. do the right thing, jerry. 

Edited by futureman

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Brady has 4,200 yards, 36/11, for a team that will finish 11-5 and make the playoffs. I can’t see the players and fans voting Dak above Brady under any circumstance. 

dak’s a loser and a fraud. if he never got hurt he’d be on his way to missing the playoffs again. the red rifle has us knocking on the door. 

I see that the SNF game next week will be Washington/Eagles. So we won't know anything until that night (unless we lost the noon game and then it won't mean shit except to the Giants).

But either way, that game SNF will decide the playoff fate for someone.

It depends who suits up as QB for Washington. If its Alex Smith, I don't like the chances for Philly. With their defense and him managing the game,Philly will have a tough time.

If Haskins suits up, Philly has a great shot. He fucking sucks. But Philly's secondary might be worse than ours so who knows. Maybe his defense can help him out. Washington's front 7 is nasty and will give Hurts a lot of pressure. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I got the impression Smith was close to a go today. Smith always was a competent game manager and really nothing more. Now, he’s a poor man’s version of his old self.  But he’s world’s better than Haskins and i expect him to start and be effective - if there’s no Cox. If Cox doesn’t play, Smith and the Skins win. 

For as much shit as you give Dalton, he’s the best QB in the division outside of Dak. Including each of the other 3 teams’ QB depth charts 100% healthy. 

I pretty much conceded that weeks ago. And that is all well and good inside this shit division. But take Dalton to the playoffs outside of the comfort of playing this horrendous closing schedule, and see what he has Defense has been playing shitty QBs this run, too. I'd guess as the 4 seed we would probably play Tampa. Brady and his weapons are light years ahead of what we have faced to end this season. Can Dalton match Brady if his defense is not getting turnovers? In every one of Dalton's wins ( I think), his defense has gotten a lot of turnovers and key stops. I think we have 10 in the last 3 games. For Dak, how many did they have in 5 guys? A few? 

It's fine and dandy that he can beat NFC East QBs. But if people keep saying he is better than Dak, be absolutely has to win this Giants game on the road and if we get in the playoffs, show he can win. Otherwise, he isn't better and is just a rah rah feel good story coming off the bench. 

Dak absolutely does not lose the Eagles game on SNF. We got 4 or 5 takeaways that night, Absolutely does not lose both games to the Skins. A split at the worst but Dak owns the Skins during his career so I would say he sweeps them. I'll even keep the Cardinals/Vikings split the same.

Defense has 10 takeaways in 3 games. They had how many for Dak in 5 games? A few? These final 4 games is probably the easiest schedule left in football. Cincy, SF, Phi, Giants. Dak sleep walks through those. We would be at about 9 wins right now and clinched a few weeks ago. Still the same seed, though. But we would actually have a shot to win a game in the playoffs.Dalton won't be playing trash in the playoffs. Defense won't be going up against shitty QBs. 

10 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s going to be interesting seeing what Washington does at qb next year. I could see them drafting a guy, but also signing a competent veteran. Shit, maybe even Dalton

I think Rivera and Scott Turner actually like Allen a lot as a backup.  As far as a starting QB, it appears they're out on Haskins and they can cut Smith at substantial savings, so maybe they go with like a Trask or Lance if he falls to them, but otherwise I gotta think a Jameis may make sense.  Perhaps they get in on Rivers although I think he's going back to Indy.  Guys like Stafford, Carr, or Garrapolo could be available.  Or always go the Fitzmagic way..... draft and then sign him to start for half a year.

Washington waived Haskins. Alex Smith most likely is going to start against Philly. Does not look good for Philly's chances. Their defense is going to give Hurts issues and Alex Smith should be able to pick apart their shitty secondary. And if Cox does not go, even more advantage to Washington.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Washington waived Haskins. Alex Smith most likely is going to start against Philly. Does not look good for Philly's chances. Their defense is going to give Hurts issues and Alex Smith should be able to pick apart their shitty secondary. And if Cox does not go, even more advantage to Washington.

Agree 100%, which is why I fully expect Philly to win, Dallas to win and take the division.

Just that kind of year.

Just now, Augustus said:

Agree 100%, which is why I fully expect Philly to win, Dallas to win and take the division.

Just that kind of year.

The Cowboys way would be to fuck it up against Garrett at noon only to see Washington lose that night and the Giants with Garrett calling plays win the East. 

With how we are playing, we should not lose to the Giants.

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Philly also has nothing to play for.  Unless they just want to push for the win and further evaluate what they have in Hurts.  They'd be stupid not to try and move Wentz this off-season regardless.  

Just now, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Philly also has nothing to play for.  Unless they just want to push for the win and further evaluate what they have in Hurts.  They'd be stupid not to try and move Wentz this off-season regardless.  

I hope Hurts is playing to solidify even further he is the starter. He doesn't give a shit about draft position. He wants to play well after being named the starter. He laid a big egg this week. Looked bad after the fast start.

I am wondering who takes on Wentz's contract for how bad he is? I'd take my chances in the draft or getting someone much cheaper. I would want no part of him. But there will some GM who will bite I imagine.

A few random tidbits.

Gregory was a fucking stud yesterday.  He can really rush the passer, probably our best pure pass rusher.  Still loses contain though.

Lamb has had a fantastic rookie campaign considering he's played with 4 different QBs.

And this move by Amari just is so nasty, it has to be appreciated.  Literally faked the guy off his feet.  He's quietly been excellent again this season.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I hope Hurts is playing to solidify even further he is the starter. He doesn't give a shit about draft position. He wants to play well after being named the starter. He laid a big egg this week. Looked bad after the fast start.

I am wondering who takes on Wentz's contract for how bad he is? I'd take my chances in the draft or getting someone much cheaper. I would want no part of him. But there will some GM who will bite I imagine.

What did "taking on Wentz's contract" even mean? All that the new team will owe him is his year to year salary.  None of the bonus money will hit the new team's cap. Id like to see the actual salary break down of his cap figure on a new team. If the year to year salary is around $20mm to $25mm that's really not a big deal in today's NFL for a starting QB's salary.  

17 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

You’re saying that as if the cowboys would be 6-9 with Dak as the starter. I would imagine if Dak had stayed healthy all year, the division would’ve been locked up last week. And the bucs have an impressive win against the packers. Other than that, they’ve gotten embarrassed by pretty much every playoff team they’ve faced. 

But again, I took your bait and decided to play this dumbass “what if” game that doesn’t matter even a tiny bit. So like I said before, agree to disagree. I can’t say you’re wrong. You make a valid argument. And, well...Dak played all of 4 games this season lol. I’m not going to stand on the table and defend this opinion I have. It’s just my opinion. 

Right there with you.  These guys think the Cowboys would have been 4-8 when the Pro Bowl was voted for with Dak.  Just stupid.  Dude would have had several more TD's and ton more yards than Brady by that point.

But you're arguing with idiots.  As much as we haven't seen eye to eye on Dak, at least we have solid points besides (har hard High School QB better than that dumb Dak) like these guys got.

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dak absolutely does not lose the Eagles game on SNF. We got 4 or 5 takeaways that night, Absolutely does not lose both games to the Skins. A split at the worst but Dak owns the Skins during his career so I would say he sweeps them. I'll even keep the Cardinals/Vikings split the same.

Defense has 10 takeaways in 3 games. They had how many for Dak in 5 games? A few? These final 4 games is probably the easiest schedule left in football. Cincy, SF, Phi, Giants. Dak sleep walks through those. We would be at about 9 wins right now and clinched a few weeks ago. Still the same seed, though. But we would actually have a shot to win a game in the playoffs.Dalton won't be playing trash in the playoffs. Defense won't be going up against shitty QBs. 

All of this.

I know we’ve played 3 bad teams, but for all the shit I was harping on with turnover differential earlier in the season, were +9 during this 3 game winning streak. 10 takeaways, one Andy Dalton INT yesterday. The shit isn’t rocket science. Don’t turn it over, get one or two takeaways a game, and you’re probably going to win. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I didn't want to say it during the game but it was nice to watch a game where we didn't have guys getting injured and sprawled out all over the field for once and a bonus that the other team seemed to have the injury bug.

Even Sean Lee made it through the game I think.

My poor 12 year old son. He went full on football 2 years ago. Loves the cowboys, longhorns, his HS team, and sadly KC because mahomes and travis. But i love his newfound passion for the game. He just turned 12 in October and wants to be a TE since he is 5'5" and 120 pounds. Enough proud dad moment.

I told him we want to lose and washington to win. Can you believe that apathy? Wont go anywhere in the playoffs with this team. Need draft picks. And Jerry to go away. It hasn't worked for Jerry since 95. Al Davis is laughing.

11 minutes ago, markstanco said:

It hasn't worked for Jerry since 95. Al Davis is laughing.

jerry's football legacy will be failure. his successes will be rightly attributed to jimmy. jerry is a businessman, not a football man, and it must be crushing to his ego to know he will die as a huge, embarrassing failure at what he cared about most. I like him, and I feel for him. 

jerry's football legacy will be failure. his successes will be rightly attributed to jimmy. jerry is a businessman, not a football man, and it must be crushing to his ego to know he will die as a huge, embarrassing failure at what he cared about most. I like him, and I feel for him. 
His ego said on the ticket 25 years ago to a caller what it is. "Did you enjoy those 3 superbowl wins!!"

Thats Jerry. He is fine. 8-8 is fine with him.

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

His ego said on the ticket 25 years ago to a caller what it is. "Did you enjoy those 3 superbowl wins!!"

Thats Jerry. He is fine. 8-8 is fine with him.

those three Super Bowls were still somewhat fresh back then and he liked them vary much. he knows now that he is losing the battle. he will die without any more meaningful playoff wins and then the fucking dumbest and worst of his three acknowledged children will take over the most valuable sports franchise on the planet. good times. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

What did "taking on Wentz's contract" even mean? All that the new team will owe him is his year to year salary.  None of the bonus money will hit the new team's cap. Id like to see the actual salary break down of his cap figure on a new team. If the year to year salary is around $20mm to $25mm that's really not a big deal in today's NFL for a starting QB's salary.  

I've seen a few different scenarios.  It's tricky because of his guarantee triggers.  Someone was floating it was basically 2 more years at around 38 million for a team to trade for him.  The issue is what it would do to Philly's cap.

But, you ask, what if Wentz is willing to reduce/restructure his contract to fit into a new team’s framework? Well, that may help the new team; it does nothing for the Eagles. As I have answered dozens of times on Twitter: The problem with a Wentz trade is not so much for the acquiring team; it is for the trading team (the Eagles).

Were the Eagles to somehow find a trade partner for Wentz, they would incur a dead money cap charge of $34 million. This would be the largest cap allocation for a player not on the roster in NFL history in a year where 1) the cap number will be below the present $198 million and 2) the Eagles have current cap commitments of over $250 million.

I know what you are saying: “But Andrew, you never thought Antonio Brown would be traded because the Steelers wouldn’t incur a $21 million dead money charge, and look what happened there!” True; I was wrong. I never thought the Steelers would take on that cap burden, even considering Brown’s churlishness. But they did, and played with less than a full deck in 2019 because of it. But this situation is not comparable. Wentz has no off-field issues, and $21 million is a far cry from $34 million.

A wash? No.

And let’s clear this up: I have heard some say that because the Eagles would be “saving” the $35 million in cash owed to Wentz while incurring a $34 million cap charge, it is “a wash.” Please. It is not a wash because, umm … you don’t have the player! The Eagles would have one of the highest cap charges in the NFL for a player playing for someone else and, of course, would have to sign a backup quarterback for more millions to boot. People, that is not a wash.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/22/business-of-football-philadelphia-eagles-carson-wentz-jalen-hurts

those three Super Bowls were still somewhat fresh back then and he liked them vary much. he knows now that he is losing the battle. he will die without any more meaningful playoff wins and then the fucking dumbest and worst of his three acknowledged children will take over the most valuable sports franchise on the planet. good times. 
I dont think he knows he is losing the battle. He believes in his heart he can win another but at the same time he is perfectly fine with 8-8. Thats why there is no GM. He is good with both scenarios. Us dumbass fans will watch and go to games. He wins.

33 minutes ago, markstanco said:

My poor 12 year old son. He went full on football 2 years ago. Loves the cowboys, longhorns, his HS team, and sadly KC because mahomes and travis.  I told him we want to lose and washington to win. Can you believe that apathy? Wont go anywhere in the playoffs with this team. Need draft picks. And Jerry to go away. It hasn't worked for Jerry since 95. Al Davis is laughing.

Yeah by losing to the Giants, the Cowboys would end up with one top 10 pick for the 2021 Draft.

Right now the Cowboys projected 2021 draft picks*

• 1st Rd  #11
  • 2nd Rd  #46
  • 3rd Rd   #77
  • 4th Rd.  #108
  • 5th Rd    none
  • 6th Rd    #170 (from Detroit)
  • 7th Rd.  #205

*not including compensatory picks

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/full_draft

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

You love it more than me LT, amazing. Jerry will draft a WR no matter in round 1. Maybe a RB?

Not an expert, but definitely enjoy NFL Draft -- interesting to watch teams move around on draft day to get their targets...

Hopefully in the 1st Rd, Cowboys will be drafting defense or OL  😁

Not an expert, but definitely enjoy NFL Draft -- interesting to watch teams move around on draft day to get their targets...
Hopefully in the 1st Rd, Cowboys will be drafting defense or OL 
Haha, yea he did that a few years ago and it worked. Very well. But we will see. This dumbass will draft travis or some other RB.