2020 Texas Early Voting Numbers

StassneyHorn

https://earlyvoting.texas-election.com/Elections/getElectionDetails.do

Same thread I was doing during the primary. There is no breakdown by party as you don’t register with a party in Texas. Most of the largest counties have not reported yet, been checking the county clerk’s websites but didn’t look promising until the 13th. 

This will not be a thread for bitchassness about what day you should/shouldn’t vote in person. The answer is clearly 10/13 until that information changes. I will ban you for disagreeing and belittle you by name, and you won’t be able to respond cause I will have banned you.

10/5 - 75,238 received

• Hook 'Em 2

Don't know where else to put this. Per the Secretary of State, there are about 16 million registered voters in Texas.  I heard today that there are 1.5 million voters registered since 2016. That means that this is the first election for almost 10 per cent of registered voters in Texas.

9 hours ago, Horndog said:

Don't know where else to put this. Per the Secretary of State, there are about 16 million registered voters in Texas.  I heard today that there are 1.5 million voters registered since 2016. That means that this is the first election for almost 10 per cent of registered voters in Texas.

I looked at that nationwide a month or two ago.  The sheer number of different humans voting every election is pretty wild.  Between deaths, people coming of age (and otherwise aging out or in) immigration, and new registrations, something like 15MM people of the 120MM voting didn’t vote in 2016, and that is before the people that just decide to sit one out  and vote in the other for whatever reason. 

i like it when judges just say "this party is lying."

In fact, the State’s proffered reason of ballot security is a pretext. On the one hand, the State
argues that satellite ballot return centers cannot be used during the early voting period because of
ballot security concerns. Yet, the State authorizes counties to use satellite ballot return centers on
Election Day without regard to those ballot security concerns. It is perplexing to the Court that the
State would simultaneously assert that satellite ballot return centers do not present a risk to election
integrity on Election Day but somehow do present such a risk in the weeks leading up to November
3, 2020. The State’s own approval of counties using satellite ballot return centers on Election Day
belies their assertion that those same ballot return centers present ballot security concerns.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i like it when judges just say "this party is lying."

What’s the scrutiny test they are applying there?

an argument could easily be made that securing additional locations for 2 or 3’weeks is more burdensome and cumbersome for the state than doing so for one day. 
I’m not saying the judge is wrong- I believe he’s right- but that rationale I just argued should be A-ok if you are using a ratIona basis test. It at least gives you cover if you want to uphold it and a lower scrutiny test is applied. 

• Hook 'Em 1

shouldn't we ask the counties rather than the state, then?  hey, county, are you able to comply with the required watchdogs and whatnot for drop off locations during early voting as you are on election day?  if yes, it defeats rational basis. 

Edited by elfenix

also, i think courts tend to dislike conflicting statements on the record:

On September 30, 2020, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (“Attorney General Paxton”) and Kyle Hawkins, the Solicitor General of Texas (“Solicitor General Hawkins”)submitted that statement from theElections Division attorney as an exhibit in support of theirbrief filed with the Supreme Court of Texas in another caseinvolving the July 27 Order. (Resp. Mandamus Brief,Dkt. 11-21, at 38). In that brief, Attorney General Paxton and Solicitor General Hawkins explained to the Texas Supreme Court that nothing in the Election Code or the July 27 Order precluded county officials from having more than one ballot return center. (Id.).

more regarding "security" not even being a plausible pretext:

Moreover, the undisputed testimony from the County Clerksreflects that the existence of additional ballot return centersthat aresubject to existing, uniform protocols do not pose a threat to ballot security. (Oldham Decl., Dkt. 21, at 6 (“Reducing the drop-off locations from four to one will not enhance security of the ballots in any way”);Hollins Decl., Dkt. 8-1, at 8 (the October 1 Order “will not enhance voter security in any way.”)).The procedures for ballots returned to a satellite ballot return centeris as follows: (1) the voter signs a roster (just as they would when voting in-person), (2) the voter presents valid identification to comply with Section63.0101 (just as they would when voting in-person), and (3) the voter signs the carrier envelope(just as they would when sending their ballot by mail).(Hollins Decl., Dkt. 8-1, at 6). As explained by Christopher Hollins, the Harris County Clerk: Ballots are then placed in a mail ballot tub.This is a locked ballot box designedby our long-time vote-by-mail director, which has a slit large enough for a ballot carrier envelopebut small enough that fingers or tools cannot be forced inside the box to tamper with ballots. Thebox is sealed by tamper-proof seals. Working in pairs, staff delivers these sealed, tamper-proofboxes to the ballot return headquartersdaily for processing.(Id.).The County Clerks statedthat “voters returning mail-in ballots in person is more secure than returning by mail” and “any concern about security of in-person drop-off of mail ballots is unfounded.” (Oldham Decl., Dkt. 21, at 8; Hollins Decl., Dkt. 8-1, at 11). In fact, the CountyClerksexplainedthat returning ballots through satellite return ballots center is “more secure than returning by mail” because (1) there is no risk of tampering or loss in the mail and (2) voters are required to present identification when returning their ballot. (Hollins Supp. Decl., Dkt. 51-1, at 1; Oldham Decl., Dkt. 21, at 8; DeBeauvoirDecl., Dkt. 18, at 7). Accordingly, the Court finds that the October 1 Order does not promoteballot security.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

shouldn't we ask the counties rather than the state, then?  hey, county, are you able to comply with the required watchdogs and whatnot for drop off locations during early voting as you are on election day?  if yes, it defeats rational basis. 

That’s a fair point. And like I said- I side with the court over the government. I’m just saying you can come up with an argument that a court could buy, if they were inclined to do so. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

On 10/10/2020 at 6:59 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I refuse to test the limits of the October 13 date and am voting during the 'old' early voting period. I just cannot trust that the courts and the GOP will do the right thing by the voters.

Shit, it sucks that this is the "Republic" we live in now, but that's a good point.  I was gonna early vote on Thursday morning because there's a voting site next door to where I'm gonna be anyway.  But now I'm thinking I should wait until next week because they're might be some "voila" moment brought on by a court that says that first week of early voting was illegal/unconstitutional or some shit. 

So Monday, 19 October would have been the hard and fast and time-honored traditional start of early voting beyond protest, right?  Great, gotta switch up my schedule.  But hey, 2020...amirite?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Shit, it sucks that this is the "Republic" we live in now, but that's a good point.  I was gonna early vote on Thursday morning because there's a voting site next door to where I'm gonna be anyway.  But now I'm thinking I should wait until next week because they're might be some "voila" moment brought on by a court that says that first week of early voting was illegal/unconstitutional or some shit. 

So Monday, 19 October would have been the hard and fast and time-honored traditional start of early voting beyond protest, right?  Great, gotta switch up my schedule.  But hey, 2020...amirite?  

It's already approved by the Texas Supreme Court. SCOTUS isn't going to touch it. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Nah, when I said "a court", i Meant one of our courts.  I don't want the 3rd Courts of Appeal to suddenly see this as some opportunity to quash Travis County votes for Biden or Hegar or some shit.  It would eventually be dismissed, but we need every vote to count on Election Day.  I really wasn't paranoid about it until I read Mrs. Whiggins thing and realized, "Yeah, not really a big deal to wait another week"  I dunno.  Nothing makes sense anymore when it comes to our election processes.  Unless you're a Russian coder.  In which case, it's as elegant as ever. 

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Nah, when I said "a court", i Meant one of our courts.  I don't want the 3rd Courts of Appeal to suddenly see this as some opportunity to quash Travis County votes for Biden or Hegar or some shit.  It would eventually be dismissed, but we need every vote to count on Election Day.  I really wasn't paranoid about it until I read Mrs. Whiggins thing and realized, "Yeah, not really a big deal to wait another week"  I dunno.  Nothing makes sense anymore when it comes to our election processes.  Unless you're a Russian coder.  In which case, it's as elegant as ever. 

It is safe to vote this week. The Texas Supreme Court already rejected the case. It’s done.  100 percent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This is all nonsense. 3rd Court of Appeals would have nothing to do with Texas. The only place it has left to go is SCOTUS, and they aren't going to touch it. It is 100% a matter of state law. If any court was going to do something fishy, it was the Texas Supreme Court. 

Alright, sorry for partying.  I was just going off what Mrs. Whiggins said.  In a year where they're literally taking away mailboxes and claiming that there's some sort of evil river in Wisconsin swallowing up ballots...I was just pontificating alongside her posts.  I'll fucking vote Thursday.  But I'm wearing my fake beard.

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This is all nonsense. 3rd Court of Appeals would have nothing to do with Texas. The only place it has left to go is SCOTUS, and they aren't going to touch it. It is 100% a matter of state law. If any court was going to do something fishy, it was the Texas Supreme Court. 

Exactly. Once the Texas Supreme Court correctly rejected it, it’s over. I did have some doubts about the Texas Supreme Court on this one, but this was a bridge too far, even for them. 

Alright, that's settled science.  Let's get to the fun discussion.  What type of social media alert system has been set up to alert fellow citizens that suppression efforts are underway at certain polling locations?  I don't think it's gonna be the Proud Boys/Boogaloo shitshow that CNN thinks it is with a dozen armed militia douchebags at every minority poling location.  But I've also never seen anything in person more than Rob Morrow screaming outside ballot sites before.  I remember in 2012 & 2016...there were a handful of video clips of people starting shit too close to the polling entrances/exits but that was about it. 

I think, unfortunately, our new reality is gonna land somewhere in between.  I think there will be many more instances than year's past, but nothing horribly dramatic.  But still, I'd like to see with all our technology, if efforts to intimidate people can be quashed relatively quickly and peacefully.  

Edited by Lobo

For Harris County, I think the early polling locations will be relatively drama free, or at least any drama/incidents will be stopped quickly. There are a limited # of them so word will get out quickly and hopefully police can step in, if necessary.  Also with it being early voting, voters could opt to leave and come back. 

I worry more about election day interference that needs immediate response and you could lose voters.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

"Yeah, not really a big deal to wait another week"  I dunno.  Nothing makes sense anymore when it comes to our election processes. 

Don't worry, I was where you were at, but a lawyer friend from my wife's church said that it's too late, and something to the effect that even if a court did something, the ballots that were already cast would have to be accepted, as the people voted in good faith, at the guidance of their state officials.

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What’s the over/under guesses on the wait times for day 1 early voting in the major cities? Harris county will report estimated wait times on their website. I’m guessing that most central locations report back 90+ minutes.

It will probably be crazy.  I’m going to wait a few days for the lines to go down a bit hopefully.

That's pretty damn amazing considering Bexar County  has about 1.5mm citizens above 18 years of age.  Obviously military non-inperson votes will play a huge factor, but considering the demographics of race/ethnicity and income/political participation, that registration number has to be beyond a historic record.  If 80% of those 80% that registered come out/mail out and vote.....that's huge for Texas.  

Of all the counties with massive Hispanic populations, it's probably the least blue (but still blue)---if that makes sense.  But still, could be an interesting bellweather.

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Received my mail in ballot.  Since I'm going to vote in person on Friday, should I even bother opening it, or just bring it with me unopened?

This is a good question to which I don't know the answer.

We voted by mail in the primary run-offs (we were out of town on election day), and Mrs.LL must've checked the box to opt for it always to be by mail.  So she got a ballot a few weeks ago unsolicited.

She's kind of fine voting in person.  But I think that if she does that, she'll have to do a provisional ballot so that they can make sure they don't receive her mail-in ballot by election day.  Is that right?

I like that there's a boatload of voting locations in East Austin and North Austin.  Pretty scattered in West and South Austin.  Plus none of the usual Randall's spots are online because of Covid-19.  But to offset that, I see there is a mini-blitz of six massive additional sites that'll be open only on 10//28-10/30 but from 7am-9pm leading up to election day.  I like that.  

I know they're preparing for it, but it cannot be overstated...7am-9am each day is gonna be insane at these places.  Because of the very simple fact that we all want to vote before the spaces get inundated with viral droplets and shit.  The polling place closest to us worries me because it's a tight space.  I've gotta be on campus later this week for teaching so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and vote at 7am and then wait in the car.  The 20-29 demographic is still spreading this thing but I have a feeling the 7am line at campus polling location will be a helluva lot shorter than my South Austin alternatives where I think people are already camping out to say "fuck you" to the status quo.  

I also want to morbidly go by the Airport Blvd office to see how they're handling the shitshow.