New year road trip to ski NM, Grand Canyon?

Brisketexan

Ok, will have the whole family together for the holidays, and we’re all interested in shaking the cabin fever. Our goals are 1) driving instead of flying, 2) doing some things/seeing places that are new for all of us, and 3) a couple of days of winter sports (the boy loves downhill skiing, the rest of us will XC ski if we can).

So, I’m toying with taking the I-40 route through ABQ, checking out Petrified Forest NP, then heading to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. I presume there are some other cool sites along the way (el Morro? Zuni Pueblo?) that we might want to check out.

Then, on the way back, hitting a place where the boy can downhill and we can XC, and maybe just goof around in the snow. I understand that we need to figure out those exact days and location, and book in advance - places are limiting the number of lift tickets etc, which makes a lot of sense. Not sure where on the way back is our best bet (seriously, we don’t know the various ski areas worth a damn).

Thoughts on this itinerary? Recommendation the outward leg (national parks, Native American sites, etc)? Recs on a ski area for downhill and XC?

And last question - on that route, due to winter weather, any special vehicle need? We’ve got a couple of regular 2WD suvs, but nothing special.

How many days?  Taos is the best ski resort in NM, but I have no knowledge of what is available there for XC.  I would also like to see video of you cross country skiing if you do this.  That is some physically taxing shit, and the last time I did it was when I was a varsity athlete in high school, and it wore my ass out.  Last time I was in Taos was in college, and I drove a Honda Accord with no problems, but that was spring break, not Xmas break, which could matter when it comes to driving conditions.

How many days?  Taos is the best ski resort in NM, but I have no knowledge of what is available there for XC.  I would also like to see video of you cross country skiing if you do this.  That is some physically taxing shit, and the last time I did it was when I was a varsity athlete in high school, and it wore my ass out.  Last time I was in Taos was in college, and I drove a Honda Accord with no problems, but that was spring break, not Xmas break, which could matter when it comes to driving conditions.

I have ZERO doubt that a couple of hours of XC will whip my ass. I’m already working on building up some cardio endurance on our spin bike....but yeah....my daughter loves XC, and she’s not an Olympian or anything like that.

Taos is surely a possibility.

Taos is awesome but 2 days there seems like a really short stay, especially if only one of you is skiing skiing. 

Angelfire is a little more accessible and likely cheaper. That might be a better option if you're just wanting to dick around for a couple of days during a longer road trip.

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And last question - on that route, due to winter weather, any special vehicle need? We’ve got a couple of regular 2WD suvs, but nothing special.

I would think your experience/ability with handling icy roads would matter more than the car you're in.

i.e. unless you're a shitty, clueless driver you should be fine. You don't strike me as that type.

Taos is awesome but 2 days there seems like a really short stay, especially if only one of you is skiing skiing. 
Angelfire is a little more accessible and likely cheaper. That might be a better option if you're just wanting to dick around for a couple of days during a longer road trip.
I would think your experience/ability with handling icy roads would matter more than the car you're in.
i.e. unless you're a shitty, clueless driver you should be fine. You don't strike me as that type.

Well, I mean...I am a Texan. I do have some experience and generally know how to handle slick roads, but I’m far from an expert.

Angel Fire. Will look at it.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, I mean...I am a Texan. I do have some experience and generally know how to handle slick roads, but I’m far from an expert.

Oh - another point- not sure how good your boy is at skiing - Taos can be a really fucking hard mountain, esp. if he's going to be skiing by himself. If he's more of a beginner then he might have more fun at Angel Fire. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Red River as well.  If XC is important to you look at those three and see which one is best for that.  I love to ski, but I just have no clue about XC because I would rather be waterboarded.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh - another point- not sure how good your boy is at skiing - Taos can be a really fucking hard mountain, esp. if he's going to be skiing by himself. If he's more of a beginner then he might have more fun at Angel Fire. 

He’s intermediate level - not an expert, but zips around pretty well. But it’s been a coupla years.

Taos is steep, narrow, and fast.  Great if you can handle that.  Angel fire has great intermediate slopes if they have plenty of snow which may be an issue this year. Red River is ok but small.  One or two days only but it has much better dining and shopping than Angel Fire.  Many times my family has stayed in Angel Fire. Ski it two or three days and drive over to Taos for one day.

Petrified Forest NP is cool and kind of a let down at the same time. It's really restricted on where you can walk. Not a lot to do except read letters from people that returned stolen wood because it was cursed. There is one walk with some large logs at the Visitor Center, but most of the rest is off limits. I did Painted Desert & PF together. It's a nice driving tour and you can see a stretch of original Route 66 ROW.

Don't know anything about skiing, but your basic route is I-40, so meander north and hit Santa Fe, I love me some Santa Fe.  They've got skiing there, bu know nothing about it.  If you want to go a little further north. ride the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad.  Never ridden this one, but its well reviewed.  We once rode the Durango and Silverton between Christmas and NY, the snow made it one hell of a gorgeous trip.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, 77horn said:

Don't know anything about skiing, but your basic route is I-40, so meander north and hit Santa Fe, I love me some Santa Fe.  They've got skiing there, bu know nothing about it.  If you want to go a little further north. ride the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad.  Never ridden this one, but its well reviewed.  We once rode the Durango and Silverton between Christmas and NY, the snow made it one hell of a gorgeous trip.

This.  Ruidoso also worth a mention.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 77horn said:

Well, yeah, we're long-time Santa Fe fans.  But, we've done it plenty.  Hadn't thought of any of the train trips....again, in the COVID times, tryin to be thoughtful about what we expose ourselves to.  I'll look into it, though.

Looks like Red River has some great XC and snowshoe trails nearby, and might not get the crowds that Taos would.  That said, yeah, a la nina year might make snow an issue.  I'm trying to time it where we hit the ski areas Jan 4 and 5 (Mon-Tues), to avoid the New Years holiday crowds.

I realize it's out of the way and an extra couple hours of driving but heading northwest out of NM and hitting Monument Valley, then Horseshoe Bend then the Grand Canyon is pretty cool.

Took my in-laws on a trip from here to Vegas and back and Monument Valley was their favorite place we hit out of the dozen or so things we stopped to see. 

If you decide on the Taos/Angel Fire area, stay at El Monte Sagrado in Taos. It's right up Mrs Brisket's alley. Full service spa, indoor heated pool and hot tub, beautiful grounds, and they've got some 2 bedroom/2 bath cottages at the back of the property. It's also walking distance to downtown and the square and right on 64, so easy to get out of town on the road to AF. I imagine they keep 64 pretty well maintained in winter as it's the main route between Taos and Angel Fire, but you will have to navigate Palo Flechado pass, which has some switchbacks. 

We are doing something similar with a family commitment in Phoenix on January 1st.  Leaving Christmas Eve for Santa Fe for two days skiing.  Santa Fe to Grand Canyon Village for three days.  One night in Flagstaff before getting to Phoenix.  Might hit the Petrified Forest on the way to GC.  Don't waste your time or money on the Meteor Crater in Arizona.

You might want to look at Pagosa Springs.  Wolf Creek for downhill, XC and snowmobiling in and around Pagosa Springs.  Hit Mesa Verde on the way to the Grand Canyon.  Mesa Verde is great during the winter with very few visitors.

We have been taking the kids to ski at Santa Fe the last few years -- they are young and still learning.  We do a big vacation in the summer to Colorado, so to save money we drive to Santa Fe and stay with family.  Santa Fe skiing is fine for kids learning.  And it is cheap.  Snow can be hit or miss.  Last year there was plenty.  My wife does not ski.  I do and the kids do.  We end up skiing a few days and then just hanging out a few days.  Love that town.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

Skiing the Grand Canyon seems ambitious...

Hope y'all have a great trip!!!

Well, it's second on my list behind this.... I gotta tell you about my dream. You're gonna get into this man. This is great. No, really, you see like the one thing I wanna do before I join the cosmos is to hang glide off of Mt. Everest. Yeah, but wait, this is the best part: NAKED! Ha Ha! Yeah man, born to be wild!

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2020 at 11:52 AM, Johnny Sack said:

We have been taking the kids to ski at Santa Fe the last few years -- they are young and still learning.  We do a big vacation in the summer to Colorado, so to save money we drive to Santa Fe and stay with family.  Santa Fe skiing is fine for kids learning.  And it is cheap.  Snow can be hit or miss.  Last year there was plenty.  My wife does not ski.  I do and the kids do.  We end up skiing a few days and then just hanging out a few days.  Love that town.

This is what we've been doing as well.  Skiing is fine for our needs (kids under 10 and wife and me just cruising blues) and Santa Fe is a great town for kids and adults.  We love being able to go from the in town Santa Fe kind of southwestern vibe to an alpine scene in 30 or so minutes.  Also an easy one day drive from Austin (can get to CO in a day too but those extra 4 or 5 hours are where you really start to feel it with kids) and we usually get there in time for supper and a stroll around the Plaza).  We love the 4 Seasons, La Fonda, and Inn at Loretto but there are also a ton of good houses to rent (some secluded in the hills right outside of town but only 5 minutes away from the plaza).  

2 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

This is what we've been doing as well.  Skiing is fine for our needs (kids under 10 and wife and me just cruising blues) and Santa Fe is a great town for kids and adults.  We love being able to go from the in town Santa Fe kind of southwestern vibe to an alpine scene in 30 or so minutes.  Also an easy one day drive from Austin (can get to CO in a day too but those extra 4 or 5 hours are where you really start to feel it with kids) and we usually get there in time for supper and a stroll around the Plaza).  We love the 4 Seasons, La Fonda, and Inn at Loretto but there are also a ton of good houses to rent (some secluded in the hills right outside of town but only 5 minutes away from the plaza).  

We are huge Santa Fe fans.  But in these COVID times.....not even sure what will be open, and hell, we may be outlaws violating a quarantine order if one is still in place.  So, we're looking to try to isolate as much as possible.

Totally get that.  FWIW, we went during COVID times this summer and stayed at an awesome place in Tesuque that we found through this outfit:  https://www.twocasitas.com/

It was during the quarantine and we just cooked at the house and did curbside and their version of favor (fetch I think) for places in Tesuque.  They only have a few places to eat but they're all really really good.  The house we rented backed up to a nature preserve and we spent a lot of time just hiking out on the back 40.  Also nice that Tesuque is on the ski side of SF.    

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We are huge Santa Fe fans.  But in these COVID times.....not even sure what will be open, and hell, we may be outlaws violating a quarantine order if one is still in place.  So, we're looking to try to isolate as much as possible.

My uncle has a big house and guest house at Las Campanas on the golf course and a short drive from town.  We always go and stay for a week and celebrate New Years with them and then stop again on the way to Colorado during the summer.  So for us, it is about as cheap of a ski trip you can do.  I think we pay $140 total for ski school which includes group instruction, rentals, and lunch.

This summer we stayed a couple days on our way to Aspen.  It was still great.  We just cooked out every night and enjoyed the weather and pretty sunsets over the mountains.  We did not eat out.  We played golf but the club was closed.  You could do an Airbnb and do something similar.  But I probably agree that if you cannot or will not take advantage of the town, I would hit up Taos instead. Better slopes.

Edited by Johnny Sack

On 10/17/2020 at 8:51 PM, ztejas said:

Taos can kick you square in the dick.  The biggest mogul run, "Al's Run" encompasses the gondola run up the back side of the mountain.  And entire downward, straight run bordered by trees, massive moguls, and gondola poles.  You have to take it to get up on the majority of the mountain runs.  You get to see people just eating it and wiping our all the way down the mountain.  It's a gut check for sure because once you commit, you can't get off.  

Ski school there is top notch.  Worth spending a day getting reacquainted after a long time off the skis.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZ8RQZxrJ0XbqxKHvlPNntaos+elevated+locals

On 10/21/2020 at 12:01 PM, RPM said:

01-DSC_4232hdrlerw-Standin-on-the-corner

Got a pic with my boy standing in front of the truck. He was 16 at the time and did not fully appreciate the situation. Fortunately for him we had the rest of the drive to Flagstaff so I could thoroughly explain the situation and totally redeem myself as a dad. Which was nice. For me, not so much for him

23 hours ago, smuggs said:

scaletowidth

Doesn't get any better than that - literally, that picture is all you need.  Screw that enticing road sign that made my wife and I take a 30 mile diversion costing upwards of $40 bucks to see that hole in the ground.

Edited by Jerry Callo

On 10/21/2020 at 5:02 PM, Brisketexan said:

Vail at least will be limiting the number of people on the hill. I don't know if that'll be a trend with other resorts, but check them out now, and find out what their plan is.

I have never been skiing in my life. I did go down the side of the road in a tube once and thought it was badass. I was thinking about going to Angelfire to get something going. Covid times I can go midweek and even work from there a few days if needed. I appreciate all the info in the thread

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Kind of leaning towards Angel Fire right now....seems like the slopes are a bit milder, crowds are a little more low key.  Only 40 minutes from the Enchanted Forest XC area.  Anyway, still thinking on it.

You can always just day trip to Taos. It's only 40 mins away, too. Probably worth at least driving through. There aren't many towns like it in the US.

Honestly Petrified Forest is meh.  Couplea pieces of stony wood out there, cool but whatevers.  However, if you turn the other way, you can hike through Painted Desert (same visitors center, you just walk around from there, you don't have to drive a couple of miles to where the best stony logs are, and... the Painted Desert side has some petrified wood, too!).  There are places along the Painted Desert Trail, a nice half mile hike one way that you can climb up, in, out, etc.  It's all rock, so wear good shoes that don't slip (equivalent to falling on concrete) but it's fun, kind of like a kids' playground thing (really!).  Something different.

Angel Fire is the nicest of the smaller resorts if you're not going to Taos (which, BTW I'd still recommend for Junior.  Yes a lot of it is tough black, but there are some nice intermediate LONG runs.  Most of Angel Fire or wherever are shorter (smaller mountains).  Red River - man, I don't know.  First, understand you have to take a very windey, not-real-comfortable little mountain "road" up over a pass to get into it.  It's small and kinda blech.  And it's not hidden either - like the other mountains, if they get a good snowfall, it's crowded.  If not, it's not.  Don't know much about the XC trails around it but risky.  Frankly I'd go to Taos.. more in town for the non-skiers.  Ruidoso is sorta kinda nice (not that much) but there's stuff there.

I did go to Window Rock, enjoyed it.  You can climb around a lot on it.  Good for a few hour's stop.

And yeah as BL said above, if you're in GCNP and don't take the extra 90 mins. (one way) to go to Monument Valley, you're doing it wrong.  You have to go there at least once.  It's magnificent. 

Honestly Petrified Forest is meh.  Couplea pieces of stony wood out there, cool but whatevers.  However, if you turn the other way, you can hike through Painted Desert (same visitors center, you just walk around from there, you don't have to drive a couple of miles to where the best stony logs are, and... the Painted Desert side has some petrified wood, too!).  There are places along the Painted Desert Trail, a nice half mile hike one way that you can climb up, in, out, etc.  It's all rock, so wear good shoes that don't slip (equivalent to falling on concrete) but it's fun, kind of like a kids' playground thing (really!).  Something different.

Angel Fire is the nicest of the smaller resorts if you're not going to Taos (which, BTW I'd still recommend for Junior.  Yes a lot of it is tough black, but there are some nice intermediate LONG runs.  Most of Angel Fire or wherever are shorter (smaller mountains).  Red River - man, I don't know.  First, understand you have to take a very windey, not-real-comfortable little mountain "road" up over a pass to get into it.  It's small and kinda blech.  And it's not hidden either - like the other mountains, if they get a good snowfall, it's crowded.  If not, it's not.  Don't know much about the XC trails around it but risky.  Frankly I'd go to Taos.. more in town for the non-skiers.  Ruidoso is sorta kinda nice (not that much) but there's stuff there.

I did go to Window Rock, enjoyed it.  You can climb around a lot on it.  Good for a few hour's stop.

And yeah as BL said above, if you're in GCNP and don't take the extra 90 mins. (one way) to go to Monument Valley, you're doing it wrong.  You have to go there at least once.  It's magnificent. 

Looked at monument valley and even four corners (boy is a SUPER geography nerd)....they’re all Navajo land, and right now, the nation has them all closed.

I’m gonna get the boy to give input on skiing tonight based on this thread. Seems like taos or AF are the best bet. I think his first ski trip was to AF (with a friend). I like Riudoso, but if snow is going to be iffy this winter, seems like a little bit of a risk.

Also, definitely looking at doubling up Painted Desert with the petrified forest. We may hit Wupatki on the way back (we dig Pueblo ruins). We’re going to stay the night in Winslow in our way back to NM from GCNP.

What's good about Taos Ski Valley is it has decent restaurants at the base, and great decks to hang out while T-man is still up on the mountain. Great for people watching. I think Angel Fire still just has the cafeteria in the base lodge. Not as much to do except ski.

CHIEF