The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Alright I’m back.

So anyway, what do y’all thinking about the Mueller investigation so far? Any news not hat font?

My prediction is a few weeks of totally fucking worthless tweets posted, copious sanctimonious asshattery, only culminating with another round of politicking and posturing. The only "full release" around here is when you mom gets involved.  

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

My prediction is a few weeks of totally fucking worthless tweets posted, copious sanctimonious asshattery, only culminating with another round of politicking and posturing. The only "full release" around here is when you mom gets involved.  

Why don’t we got off of mothers. I just got off of yours. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I understand. Before she passed I liked drinking with my grandma.  She had awesome stories about flying a crop duster in Kansas during the 40's. 

I crop dusted a restaurant in Kansas City once.  Does that count?

• Like 1

Went back in this thread about 6 months and it is so intriguing to see Mueller and Barr go from hero to inept/part of a conspiracy after the results came in.  Too many pages of ridiculous false predictions and beatings of those predicting no evidence to get them all, but I thought I’d grab a couple for a quick laugh.  Probably a good reminder on why you wait until the end of an investigation, election etc spit out hyperbole and certain outcomes.

On 11/26/2018 at 8:26 AM, Vein said:

You guys are going to be disappointed when Mueller doesn't have anything damning on Trump. 

Nailed it 

On 11/29/2018 at 9:28 AM, hayden_horn said:

this tweet from three hours ago is aging well.

Yup, still aging well.

Edited by Enchubben
Typos
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

The Mueller report was like one of the recruiting hat ceremonies. Everybody knew what was going to happen and everybody was on their team and just did whatever they were supposed to do. I won you lost, you won I lost, whatever, everyone's need for emotional outpouring was satisfied. Giant circle jerk of uselessness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

The Mueller report was like one of the recruiting hat ceremonies. Everybody knew what was going to happen and everybody was on their team and just did whatever they were supposed to do. I won you lost, you won I lost, whatever, everyone's need for emotional outpouring was satisfied. Giant circle jerk of uselessness.

THE BAG MAN GOT TO HIM

3 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Good morning gents.  BTW did something horrible happen in the Smollett thread? It is gone.  KISS show up and threaten to kill the president again in it or something? 

Kimm Foxx and Michelle Obama put in a call to Blacklab to have it removed. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Went back in this thread about 6 months and it is so intriguing to see Mueller and Barr go from hero to inept/part of a conspiracy after the results came in.

Well, that's just a lie.  Almost all of us who lean left still see Mueller as a man of law, and Barr was never considered a "hero".

What good does it do you to lie?  Seriously, what is it with the modern right?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Is this the Mueller report or your cloak room posting history? 

Please, "asshattery" is entry level CR shit.  Barely above the level of "wingnut conspiracy headcase". It took a lot of work to achieve the "treasonous traitor who wants to burn the Republic to the ground" level up, and I would appreciate some acknowledgement of that, thank you very much.  

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, that's just a lie.  Almost all of us who lean left still see Mueller as a man of law, and Barr was never considered a "hero".

Constantly defending dotard has melted their brain.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This thread has been filled with the same intellectually dishonest and vapid shitposting by the right wing trolls that plagued us for months when the investigations first started.

Barr was a fixer for Bush I and it was repeatedly pointed out that Barr had pre-decided there could be no obstruction and written to Trump about that to campaign for the job. In a functional United States of America, Barr is forced to recuse himself. Instead, Barr waded in and made conclusions Mueller intended to leave to Congress. 

They've spun a whole lot of noise over a partisan synopsis of a much larger investigation. We won't know shit until we read the report.

Cue right wing shout downs and lousy memes to bury this post.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Barr was never considered a "hero".

Rosenstein certainly had some shine. Among some of the wingnuts here, Sessions was manning the wall for a time as well. Right after he was being framed as a center piece of the collusion conspiracy. It's hard to keep up with the assessments of some of the parties involved over the course of this thing.  The winds seem to shift capriciously.  Which I think was the point Enchubben was making generally. 

1 minute ago, GW Hayduke said:

Long discussion on the Barr letter on the lawfare podcast. There still appears to be a hope and expectation that Barr will do the right thing when it comes to releasing the Report.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-special-edition-mueller-report-and-barr-letter

Speaking of some face sitting.

picture-4864-1532453603.jpg?itok=UmTvmwi

Mikhaila Fogel is an associate editor at Lawfare and a research assistant at the Brookings Institution. She previously worked as a legislative correspondent for national security and foreign affairs issues in the Office of Sen. Susan Collins. She holds a bachelor’s degree from Harvard College, where she majored in British history and literature and minored in government and Arabic.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Speaking of some face sitting.

picture-4864-1532453603.jpg?itok=UmTvmwi

Mikhaila Fogel is an associate editor at Lawfare and a research assistant at the Brookings Institution. She previously worked as a legislative correspondent for national security and foreign affairs issues in the Office of Sen. Susan Collins. She holds a bachelor’s degree from Harvard College, where she majored in British history and literature and minored in government and Arabic.

Yes. Folks should listen to the podcast because of hot chicks

Just now, GW Hayduke said:

Long discussion on the Barr letter on the lawfare podcast. There still appears to be a hope and expectation that Barr will do the right thing when it comes to releasing the Report.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-special-edition-mueller-report-and-barr-letter

I have zero confidence in Barr doing the right thing.  He’s a political operative installed to protect Trump.  Trump went through three people to get to Barr  (Comey, Sessions, Whitaker).  Barr is basically another Kavanaugh except smarter and more experienced.  

Someone will likely have to go to jail for the public to know the truth of everything Mueller uncovered.   It’s also becoming clear due to previous reporting this Mueller investigation exit strategy was in the works since the midterms.  

It’s looking like Rosenstein played a big role in both firing Comey and shutting down Mueller.  He might have valid and nonpartisan reasons for doing so but the optics of it are awful.  

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I have zero confidence in Barr doing the right thing.  He’s a political operative installed to protect Trump.  Trump went through three people to get to Barr  (Comey, Sessions, Whitaker).  Barr is basically another Kavanaugh except smarter and more experienced.  

Someone will likely have to go to jail for the public to know the truth of everything Mueller uncovered.   It’s also becoming clear due to previous reporting this Mueller investigation exit strategy was in the works since the midterms.  

It’s looking like Rosenstein played a big role in both firing Comey and shutting down Mueller.  He might have valid and nonpartisan reasons for doing so but the optics of it are awful.  

From a political standpoint, that's not good for Republicans. Releasing summaries instead of the actual report makes it look like they are hiding something.

The best thing the Democrats can do is to keep asking to see the report and keep pointing out that the administration refuses to release it.

4 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Good morning gents.  BTW did something horrible happen in the Smollett thread? It is gone.  KISS show up and threaten to kill the president again in it or something? 

Kinda odd that that thread just vanished...

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You may be right and I’m certainly worried and suspicious of Barr, but for what’s it worth, professionals in that field (which I consider the lawfare folks to be) do not currently feel this is an active cover up and currently expect Barr to release the appropriate parts of the report.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Interesting theory.  I've been wrestling with Rosenstein's role in the preparation of the Barr summary.  I had come around to the conclusion over the last two years that Rosenstein was committed to protecting the Mueller investigation, but had a hard time squaring that with his participation in the preparation of (or at least implied concurrence with) what seems pretty clearly to be a summary with a political agenda.  Any support for the claim that Rosenstein had a role in shutting down Mueller, or is it just intuition?

43 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Any support for the claim that Rosenstein had a role in shutting down Mueller, or is it just intuition?

Outside of Mueller and pre Whitaker/Barr, he was the only one in a position to make a call on the direction of the Mueller investigation.  He likely faced extreme pressure from Trump to neuter the Mueller investigation.  Trump never firing Rosenstein also says a lot even though there were multiple occasions we thought Rosenstein was being fired/dismissed.  What did Rosenstein do to hang on to his job for so long?  I don't know but one can imagine. 

I still have confidence in Rosenstein to serve the public in good faith.  My point was the optics around Rod Rosenstein look shitty and that's not necessarily his fault.  When your boss is Donald Trump you're likely to get some shit on you.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
clarification in spoiler

45 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I'll give it a listen today after some spring skiing

32 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Everyone saw what Barr represents from a mile away.  Mueller has been contingency planning for abrupt firing and Trump pardons for two years, so Barr is more of a physical barrier than a legal one.  Congress will have to work for it, but it still looks like it'll get everything in the Mueller report.  You know what would be worse than Barr offering his unconvincing 4 page book report ?  Trump firing Barr and Rosenstein on the spot today.  Again, 3 weeks ago, Barr nominated Jessie Liu, DC US Atty, to be promoted to No3 at DOJ.  Multiple Mueller related cases are being run through DC USA.  Liu is not compromised.  I think Barr was closing ranks in the event Trump was displeased with Barr.  Barr's book report doesn't alter eventual outcomes, pressures Trump to not publicly attack ongoing investigations Mueller passed on, and buys more time for those investigations to mature.

Right now, things could be far worse.  There are around 17 investigations advancing from Mueller's work.  Even Barr's letter spoke to that.  The fact Trump/GOP is still in rabid attack mode tells you they fully understand their jeopardy is undiminished.

11 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Went back in this thread about 6 months and it is so intriguing to see Mueller and Barr go from hero to inept/part of a conspiracy after the results came in.  Too many pages of ridiculous false predictions and beatings of those predicting no evidence to get them all, but I thought I’d grab a couple for a quick laugh.  Probably a good reminder on why you wait until the end of an investigation, election etc spit out hyperbole and certain outcomes.

Nailed it 

Yup, still aging well.

Another idiot who doesn’t understand how criminal prosecution works.  How is that tweet aging well?  They proved there was no collusion?  LOL