Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

kudos to old man Joe. great work getting the private sector to step up and make something positive happen. the NYT does kind of overpaint him as progressive, but the point is well taken. he is steering clear of the BS for the most part. wish he didn't say the neanderthal comment. its gonna be a sparkling and beautiful no nuke friday soon enough my Gs

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

All good stuff, but let’s remember, we are talking about a unique state. It’s Democratic West Virginia. Small population and not wealthy or industrious.

I think Manchin has a hard job. On one hand he has to support the state and the businesses that provide a life line to people and the tax base and budget and on the other people are poor and clamoring for the pay raise.

I don’t envy him; it’s a very weird state and I’d bet hard to manage and lonesome: his peers, typical D’s, don’t have his same unique make up and pains.

Anyways, as a Texan, I’ll hang up and listen.

The county with the lowest cost of living in the country is in WV. A living wage for a single person there is $13.29. For a family with 2 kids and both parents working it’s $18.31. 

If a company can’t afford to pay its employees $15 per hour either the business model is fucked or the people at the top are keeping too much for themselves. End of story. 

And that’s how it should be sold to every single mouth breathing, hillbilly trump supporter. 

“You didn’t vote for us, but we’re fighting for you anyway because we give a damn. Trump gave massive tax cuts to corporations. Did they raise your pay? No? They can afford it. They could afford it before and they can sure as shit afford it now. But they are too greedy to pay you a living wage and the GOP doesn’t give a damn about you.”

The Dems need to shove it in every hillbilly’s face that the GOP is voting against making life better for them and their communities. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Ezra Klein is not a "hard grader" and this is nothing but him making his move to join the establishment. Good on him I guess, but he has been at odds with true progressivism for years now. That the NYT sees fit to couch him as a leftist is a sad reminder of where we are with the Overton Window. 

I see little that could rank as something progressives really want that Biden truly wants to accomplish among any of this. He has been abandoning such ideas as soon as they face even imaginary resistance. 

Yes, he is setting a mature tone and has brought us back to a baseline of dignity coming from the White House but he is far closer to an '80s Republican than anything resembling a progressive. 

If they don't kill the filibuster and pass some real legislation, Democrats are going to get the shit kicked out of them in the mid-terms.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Ezra Klein is not a "hard grader" and this is nothing but him making his move to join the establishment. Good on him I guess, but he has been at odds with true progressivism for years now. That the NYT sees fit to couch him as a leftist is a sad reminder of where we are with the Overton Window. 

I see little that could rank as something progressives really want that Biden truly wants to accomplish among any of this. He has been abandoning such ideas as soon as they face even imaginary resistance. 

Yes, he is setting a mature tone and has brought us back to a baseline of dignity coming from the White House but he is far closer to an '80s Republican than anything resembling a progressive. 

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

If they don't kill the filibuster and pass some real legislation, Democrats are going to get the shit kicked out of them in the mid-terms.

I think they are setting the stage for it. Last week, Amy Klob came out against the filibuster. Now, the junior senator from Minnesota has done the same.

12 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I think they are setting the stage for it. Last week, Amy Klob came out against the filibuster. Now, the junior senator from Minnesota has done the same.

Klobs ain't actually Manchin or Sinema but I'd say she's the defacto head of the Moderate Dem caucus.  So that was big. 

Looks like the Senate bill is extending the UI through September (at a lower amount) AND making it partially non-taxable. Overall, a win for the American people.  

Someone definitely mentioned the UI being taxable and people getting unexpected tax bills part a few pages back - very good news.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So I get that progressives by design are never satisfied and sways pushing for more. And I get that Biden is not as progressive as many would like. But in less than two months, Biden has made it obvious that anyone claiming “moderate Democrats and Republicans are the same” is not someone living in reality.

I'm guessing this is a veiled jab at Hugo's histrionics. Yeah, it's frustrating to watch 4 years of absolute assclownery and then two months into the new admin people are screaming "WHY NOT DONE!!!!???" Jesus fuck the internet has made us an impatient species. 

He's not a fucking saint nor is he a monster. He's checking shit off his list much faster than promised. If we get to the fortunate position to have the virus under control and the economy appropriately humming we can get back to parsing policy differences and progressive agendas. Right now we're in triage mode and the new admin is trying to stabilize the vital organs. 

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

I'm guessing this is a veiled jab at Hugo's histrionics. Yeah, it's frustrating to watch 4 years of absolute assclownery and then two months into the new admin people are screaming "WHY NOT DONE!!!!???" Jesus fuck the internet has made us an impatient species. 

Not any poster specifically. There’s an entire online contingent making similar statements.
And to be clear, I don’t think the progressives should stop pushing. I think the Bernie wing is helping shift the party in the correct direction. But the “SAME AS REPUBLICAN!!!” attacks are becoming more untethered from reality with each passing day.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My criticism of Biden comes from a place of urgency to prevent a fascist takeover. Unlike accelerationist leftists that want to see Biden fail and exposed as neoliberal corporate shill, I want him to succeed so fucking hard.

Republicans replaced RBG in a week and got their tax cuts for billionaires in two weeks worth of legislative work. While Biden is doing good things, there’s a lot more that could be done. Dems need to pick up the pace because the clock is always running. I already know many things aren’t going to happen b/c there’s not enough time with the speed Biden is moving. The AG hasn’t even been confirmed yet because Dems have allowed republicans to delay. Stop doing shit like that.

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

He's not a fucking saint nor is he a monster. He's checking shit off his list much faster than promised. If we get to the fortunate position to have the virus under control and the economy appropriately humming we can get back to parsing policy differences and progressive agendas. Right now we're in triage mode and the new admin is trying to stabilize the vital organs. 

It’s been a long time since a Dem has entered office with less than 57 D Senators. 

Biden has had a more productive 50 first days than most of them

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

My criticism of Biden comes from a place of urgency to prevent a fascist takeover. Unlike accelerationist leftists that want to see Biden fail and exposed as neoliberal corporate shill, I want him to succeed so fucking hard.

Republicans replaced RBG in a week and got their tax cuts for billionaires in two weeks worth of legislative work. While Biden is doing good things, there’s a lot more that could be done. Dems need to pick up the pace because the clock is always running. I already know many things aren’t going to happen b/c there’s not enough time with the speed Biden is moving. The AG hasn’t even been confirmed yet because Dems have allowed republicans to delay. Stop doing shit like that.

It’s v clear you don’t understand how things work. It’s. Been. 1.5. Months. 

Edited by Js1

Joe Biden will just lay down and let fascism take over because the GOP Senate in a 50/50 chamber shut down confirmations during impeachment. Biden should have walked into the senate and used his super secret powers over the legislative branch to get Garland confirmed yesterday. And fired the parliamentarian while he was there.

Just now, Js1 said:

Joe Biden will just lay down and let fascism take over because the GOP Senate in a 50/50 chamber shut down confirmations during impeachment. Biden should have walked into the senate and used his super secret powers over the legislative branch to get Garland confirmed yesterday. And fired the parliamentarian while he was there.

How many pieces of legislation b/f the midterms? 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

said no one.

• Hook 'Em 2

Joe Biden just obliterated an incumbent President with more total votes than anyone in American history, with over 51% of the vote. His party won both chambers of Congress. If that isn’t a mandate to fulfill his agenda, I don’t know what is. My current issue with Joe is his administration isn’t behaving like it.  They should tout that shit. 

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Joe Biden just obliterated an incumbent President with more total votes than anyone in American history, with over 51% of the vote. His party won both chambers of Congress. If that isn’t a mandate to fulfill his agenda, I don’t know what is. My current issue with Joe is his administration isn’t behaving like it.  They should tout that shit. 

They can't without starting a civil war. This is why Republicans are letting Trump stick around even though they all gave speeches after the impeachment vote that they didn't convict. 

Democrats are too fucking stupid to understand how power works. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He just passed a bill in 45 days that no dem president could have passed since LBJ was president. I think just a little bit of patience is in order. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

He just passed a bill in 45 days that no dem president could have passed since LBJ was president. I think just a little bit of patience is in order. 

No!!! Biden should vaporize Manchin and Sinema and replace them with clones of himself and ram errything through! And he should be hanging dong in public cause he won! 

• Haha 1

Sinema is a dem in a purple yet slightly dem state that can easily be primaried by the dems if necessary.

Manchin is a dem senator in perhaps the most pro trump state in the country and is the key to getting anything at all passed. 

The progressive wing of the Democratic Party would be wise to remember that. 

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Sinema is a dem in a purple yet slightly dem state that can easily be primaried by the dems if necessary.

Manchin is a dem senator in perhaps the most pro trump state in the country and is the key to getting anything at all passed. 

The progressive wing of the Democratic Party would be wise to remember that. 

They have their opportunities to continue to show up in 2022 to win races in PA, NC and WI and keep the House and then bypass both Manchin and Sinema 

19 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I submit the center left to progressive voter has shown a tremendous amount of patience for the past year.

It may be time for the center-right to tread a little more delicately than in the past iterations of this moment. 

Wow.  A whole year of "patience"!  The left end of the Democratic Party spectrum is roughly as patient as my chihuahua.

I submit the center left to progressive voter has shown a tremendous amount of patience for the past year.
It may be time for the center-right to tread a little more delicately than in the past iterations of this moment. 
applauding.gif&f=1&nofb=1

And I would submit that the day after the passing of the most progressive legislation in decades is a strange time to threaten your teammates.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

And I would submit that the day after the passing of the most progressive legislation in decades is a strange time to threaten your teammates.

It’s not that strange when you’d rather celebrate the losses than the wins. It kills them to admit it was a really transformative, progressive bill. It had its faults but no legislation is perfect.  Stimulus, cuts child poverty in half, puts something like $8000 in the pockets of a middle class family of 4, etc.