Markets still falling like whoa

9 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Because the 1-250 reverse split in July just wasn't reverse enough. So this would make it effectively a 1 for 12,500 reverse split.

Man I wish I would have shorted H&M, or bought some puts. I don't think those are available

Math check - the effect of the double reverse split is 1:125,000, not 1:12,500

so that $38 high that H&M hit before the bubble (and their business plan) burst will effectively be around $4,750,000/share (after the 2nd reverse split)

I wonder if any of the theater groups are going to include how their results have been negatively impacted by the loss of the "subsidy" they were effectively receiving from the H&M cheap ticket plan.

FWIW - I don't think there is a shift in delivery method for H&M, similar to what Netflix accomplished when the changed from mailing disks (and killing Blockbuster) to reinventing their model with subscriptions for an online platform.

FWIW² - if the 2nd reverse split is approved, I would bet that it takes less than 10 days for H&M to regain their stock value to under $1. As I'm sure those who've shorted this to $0.0155 currently would be more than willing to do so again (another math check - at $0.0155 a reverse split of 1:500 would, for a moment, make the stock value $7.75
Talk about trying to catch a falling knife - from NASDAQ.com

52 Week High / Low

$ 9,714.375 / $ 0.015

I'll ask this question, and request that the replies try not to go cloak room .....

When does the trade war, tariff battle take its toll on inflation, consumer confidence and most importantly the stock market. I know there are articles that claim it is currently pressuring the markets into downward trends (but IMO daily analysis is journalists best guess or lazy news headlines).
I'm not looking to exit the market, but I'm thinking about getting more hedged - buying some puts on QQQ, VOO, SPDR, etc) - I'm not ready to play the VIX, but that might be a better play.

I'm starting to feel the longer I wait, the more expensive it will be to hedge & I'll already be starting to bleed

Edited by Wally Fairway

36 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'll ask this question, and request that the replies try not to go cloak room .....

When does the trade war, tariff battle take its toll on inflation, consumer confidence and most importantly the stock market. I know there are articles that claim it is currently pressuring the markets into downward trends (but IMO daily analysis is journalists best guess or lazy news headlines).
I'm not looking to exit the market, but I'm thinking about getting more hedged - buying some puts on QQQ, VOO, SPDR, etc) - I'm not ready to play the VIX, but that might be a better play.

I'm starting to feel the longer I wait, the more expensive it will be to hedge & I'll already be starting to bleed

I don't see a large sell off because the tariffs aren't drastic (only 10% not 25%) and only a percent of our total trade with China. If we did a Brexit with NAFTA, I would expect a market sell off. Markets commentators (JPM equity analyst, etc) expect more rational government policy come November due to elections.

6 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

HMNY is flying, about to hit .03!

Damnit!!! You beat me to it. 

I bought 300k shares @.0268 just to see if I could get it to .05!!!  lol

In other news, my call on Valeant, now Bausch Healthcare (BHC) has gone well.  Busted through the 52WH today and is headed for some serious gains.  Holding quite a few shares in the 13 range and about 1000 calls on it right now.  Moon Lambos!!!!!!

17 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Damnit!!! You beat me to it. 

I bought 300k shares @.0268 just to see if I could get it to .05!!!  lol

In other news, my call on Valeant, now Bausch Healthcare (BHC) has gone well.  Busted through the 52WH today and is headed for some serious gains.  Holding quite a few shares in the 13 range and about 1000 calls on it right now.  Moon Lambos!!!!!!

So I looked at yesterdays activity - and HMNY closed at $0.0365, up $0.0232; on almost 425,000,000 shares traded.
Now I get that buying and selling 100,000 shares is fun and kind of funny at a cost of $2-3,000.
But how many people are fucking around with this piece of shit?
Enough to trade over $10 million worth of shares, or are there people making really big plays in penny stocks (especially one that is looking a 2nd reverse stock split)

7 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

So I looked at yesterdays activity - and HMNY closed at $0.0365, up $0.0232; on almost 425,000,000 shares traded.
Now I get that buying and selling 100,000 shares is fun and kind of funny at a cost of $2-3,000.
But how many people are fucking around with this piece of shit?
Enough to trade over $10 million worth of shares, or are there people making really big plays in penny stocks (especially one that is looking a 2nd reverse stock split)

I’m the former, was just ducking around with some house money I made on BHC calls.  

But sadly, there are people that have bought in a ton on this POS and have lost everything.   Some of them have lost everything twice and are coming back for more because they actually believe this thing will go higher.   

Im just having fun and making some quick cash 

Had some $158 calls in SOXL.  Smelled a rat and hedged, it's now at $120.  Whew.  Net I'm down probably 30% on the whole trade.

Market is smelling weird.  Bond yields are up.  Nothing feels like a big push is imminent, even though we're near all-time highs.  I don't like it (and I almost NEVER try to call the market, but rather just trade what is somewhat presented).

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Had some $158 calls in SOXL.  Smelled a rat and hedged, it's now at $120.  Whew.  Net I'm down probably 30% on the whole trade.

Market is smelling weird.  Bond yields are up.  Nothing feels like a big push is imminent, even though we're near all-time highs.  I don't like it (and I almost NEVER try to call the market, but rather just trade what is somewhat presented).

It's definitely feeling a bit weird.  Lot of names 20%+ off recent highs.  

40 minutes ago, NowThis said:

i presume most of you are in the financial world, but for laymen, how do you guys find these exotic stocks (aside from reading this thread)?

Watch a lot of CNBC/FB/Sky

Read a ton of Bloomberg, financial message boards, and keep track of the IPO markets.  Just consuming information more or less.  

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

i presume most of you are in the financial world, but for laymen, how do you guys find these exotic stocks (aside from reading this thread)?

Shitposting on reddit, mostly. Actually I've been doing gangbusters buying long puts on SNAP. Initial position was a $12 10/19 PUT bought on Aug 16 at $0.53, now it's sitting at $5.28, and I've bought $7 Nov 19 PUTs and $5 Jan 18 PUTs that are up 50% already. Volatile bear markets are fun time to shit on crappy tech stocks

Nasdaq down 316

Dow down 831

Vix up 43% to 22.81

AMZN down 6.1%

SQ down 10.1%

GOOGL down 4.6%

AAPL down 4.6%

PE firms got massacred, as did homebuilders (again) and basic materials.  Tech, just downright ugly.  Biotech and Pharma.  Fuck even AT&T got whacked.  What a shittastic day

18 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Nasdaq down 316

Dow down 831

Vix up 43% to 22.81

AMZN down 6.1%

SQ down 10.1%

GOOGL down 4.6%

AAPL down 4.6%

PE firms got massacred, as did homebuilders (again) and basic materials.  Tech, just downright ugly.  Biotech and Pharma.  Fuck even AT&T got whacked.  What a shittastic day

tenor.gif?itemid=5011624

My largest individual stock  holding (LGND) was down 9%. It touched 278 last week, closed at 214 today. Wiped out a pretty good 3 month run.

On the plus side, I hedged about a month ago with some SPY puts expiring after the Nov elections (287 strike). Those fuckers took off today, so I ended the day slightly down. Would have been f'n brutal without that hedge. 

Now gotta figure if I want to sell or hang on for a bit longer. I'm leaning towards holding as I figure there is still more lunacy to come in the markets. 

48 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:
Nasdaq down 316
Dow down 831
Vix up 43% to 22.81
AMZN down 6.1%
SQ down 10.1%
GOOGL down 4.6%
AAPL down 4.6%

SQ taking an after-hours kick in the balls with the announcement of the CFO leaving. Down 18.5%

Thinking this bounces back tomorrow or should I pick out a comfy park bench to sleep under?

Edited by nycHorn

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

My largest individual stock  holding (LGND) was down 9%. It touched 278 last week, closed at 214 today. Wiped out a pretty good 3 month run.

On the plus side, I hedged about a month ago with some SPY puts expiring after the Nov elections (287 strike). Those fuckers took off today, so I ended the day slightly down. Would have been f'n brutal without that hedge. 

Now gotta figure if I want to sell or hang on for a bit longer. I'm leaning towards holding as I figure there is still more lunacy to come in the markets. 

If there is one thing I've learned, and I'm not sure I've fully learned it, it's that one should take hedges off the table when they've made "some" money.  Hedging is insurance.  It's a headwind.  If you can justify paying for future hedges by the rare profit you might book on a current hedge, then sell it and sleep.

Actually, I'd probably look at the values a little more closely and make sure you're not overhedged once the puts have climbed and the rest of the portfolio has taken it in the shorts.  It's probably a good time to roll down (and out?).

43 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Well shoot. With the stock market stalling the past month, I was thinking of taking profits about 3 weeks ago, but got completely swamped at work. Now that my project is submitted, I get this shit? Furk!

Ditto here.  There may be a bounce back to take some profits.  But it will have to be quick.  

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

If there is one thing I've learned, and I'm not sure I've fully learned it, it's that one should take hedges off the table when they've made "some" money.  Hedging is insurance.  It's a headwind.  If you can justify paying for future hedges by the rare profit you might book on a current hedge, then sell it and sleep.

Actually, I'd probably look at the values a little more closely and make sure you're not overhedged once the puts have climbed and the rest of the portfolio has taken it in the shorts.  It's probably a good time to roll down (and out?).

Ended up selling it all. But "reinvesting" the entirety of the profit buying puts against QQQ, which probably more closely mirrors my tech heavy holdings. Basically a freeroll hedge, but this my gamble account.

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

Yeah same. Just pulled the ripcord and liquidated my stocks. I am however still holding onto my short positions that I had open. I'm thinking what with the imminent reaction to increasing interest rates, geopolitical goings-on, and natural disaster season, it's not going to be an especially fun next couple of weeks.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yeah same. Just pulled the ripcord and liquidated my stocks. I am however still holding onto my short positions that I had open. I'm thinking what with the imminent reaction to increasing interest rates, geopolitical goings-on, and natural disaster season, it's not going to be an especially fun next couple of weeks.

Yep, my plan was to exit before the midterms but this little pitfall snuck up and ruined my master plan.