Markets still falling like whoa

I have a friend that has a micro business (less than $10 million a year) and the trade wars have hit them hard. They have to raise prices, but so will everyone else. They went from $500 to $16,000 in tariffs and taxes on a shipment that was exactly the same as previous shipments.

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I have a friend that has a micro business (less than $10 million a year) and the trade wars have hit them hard. They have to raise prices, but so will everyone else. They went from $500 to $16,000 in tariffs and taxes on a shipment that was exactly the same as previous shipments.

Rubber dog poop prices are outrageous.

11 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45243088

Greece emerges from bailout. I have to say that I was concerned when Greece was reported to be on the brink of economic collapse. As it would likely have so strained the Eurozone banking institutions that other dominos to fall. 

Thanks, but I think the proclamation is premature.

Still 19.5% unemployment (~45% for young adults).  Debt at 180% of gdp.  Interest on debts at 2.2% of gdp and expected that debt payments will continue until 2060.  

9 hours ago, bernorange said:

..  Interest on debts at 2.2% of gdp and expected that debt payments will continue until 2060.  

Sorry, I read that wrong last night.  BBC actually said:

... it must keep strict control over its public spending, running a budget surplus, before interest payments, of at least 2.2% of GDP until the year 2060.

With serious questions over its ability to manage, some analysts predict it will still be paying off its current debt after 2060.

43 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

i may or may not have put a small-but-not-insignificant amount of speculation money into hmny that has now pretty much gone to zero

:-x

I made that mistake several times over the years.  The few homeruns I hit almost certainly did not make up for my losses.  Now I rarely invest in individual stocks.  

24 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I made that mistake several times over the years.  The few homeruns I hit almost certainly did not make up for my losses.  Now I rarely invest in individual stocks.  

I swore off biotech forever about 5 years ago. I don't bet even large pharma anymore. Best performance YTD in my play money account is SP ETF (VOO) bought on dips when trade shit was causing people to get all worked up. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 1:24 PM, Llano Estacado said:

Tin foil hats and economic reality and the total perspective vortex. 

Discuss. 

Oh wow... I'm used to reading these things from the BRICS, but Germany?

Germany's foreign minister has called for the creation of a new payments system independent of the United States as a means of rescuing the nuclear deal between Iran and the west that Donald Trump withdrew from in May.

Writing in the German daily Handelsblatt, Heiko Maas said Europe should not allow the United States to act "over our heads and at our expense."

"For that reason it's essential that we strengthen European autonomy by establishing payment channels that are independent of the U.S., creating a European Monetary Fund and building up an independent Swift system," he wrote.

Maas' intervention was the "strongest call yet for European Union financial and monetary autonomy vis-a-vis U.S.,” said Thorsten Benner, director of the Global Public Policy Institute, a Berlin-based think-tank. ...

http://gata.org/node/18442

What the hell happened to AMD? They were a terribly run company for a long long time. What did they do to improve?
AMD promoted Lisa Su and hired some engineering talent and built a high performance x86 core, which it released last February. Also, graphics cards selling for absurd prices during the crypto boom didn't hurt.

HMNY reported "earnings" today - a loss of $83.7 million on revenues of $74.2 million for the quarter, for loss per share of $132/share (better than $198/share the prior year)
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/moviepass-parent-company-reports-large-losses-stock-continues-plunge-2018-08-14
Notes -
 (1) EPS and other data reflects the 250:1 stock split this year.
 (2) HMNY is now trading at 4¢ ... down from a split adjusted 52 week high of $9,714/share
So time to buy low

5 hours ago, elfenix said:
17 hours ago, Goofyboy said:
What the hell happened to AMD? They were a terribly run company for a long long time. What did they do to improve?

AMD promoted Lisa Su and hired some engineering talent and built a high performance x86 core, which it released last February. Also, graphics cards selling for absurd prices during the crypto boom didn't hurt.

and poor decision making by intel

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

The cryptoboom was real and I rode it up.

I don't think the AMD bump is sustainable.  Intel hit a series of bad bumps (security vulnerabilites, CEO resigning) and AMD is really selling their new CEO. 

However, the Ryzen is fluff.  It's still gets outperformed by Intel processors and with less power consumption.

Edited by JBJ

3 hours ago, JBJ said:

However, the Ryzen is fluff.  It's still gets outperformed by Intel processors and with less power consumption.

We have literally three full cycles of historical data to prove this out. No one out competes Intel, especially after a downtown (and especially one that's self-inflicted). That's not to say that AMD makes bad product, they're just not the giant killers that people think they are. Take your profits now, and buy Intel.

On 8/24/2018 at 1:47 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I don’t since I’m on the sidelines with my dick in my hand.
Even worse when one of my best friends told me to get in around 13.

Way back in the 1990's I got into AMD around $5 or something stupid like that, rode it up to $90 during the dotcom craziness then rode it all the way back to around break even.  It takes skills to pull that shit off.

Year or so ago a friend of mine told me to get in AMD at $10 and said it was going to $20.  I put the grand sum of jack shit into it.  Can't complain because same friend told me to get into STM years ago when it was around $7 and I rode it up to over $20 where I sold half. 

Latest from my "guy" is ERIC.  He seems to think they will kick all sorts of ass when 5G becomes the next rage.  I started a position at $6 and added a little more here and there.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:05 PM, 52-80 said:

i also zeroed out before on a greek shipping company, and when american airlines chapter 11'ed

My degenerate Las Vegas style trading account is riddled with tickers in the portfolio that end in 'Q' - as mentioned above it would cost more to sell them than what they are worth.  Thankfully I understand I can't trade / invest for shit and use that particular account for "entertainment purposes" only.  Only the most vile, toxic waste pieces of shit are bought and I'll dabble in the 3x leveraged ETFs from time to time as well.

The real retirement account is safely locked away where I just put a set amount into a stock index fund every month and forget about it.

• Like 1

My degenerate Las Vegas style trading account is riddled with tickers in the portfolio that end in 'Q' - as mentioned above it would cost more to sell them than what they are worth.  Thankfully I understand I can't trade / invest for shit and use that particular account for "entertainment purposes" only.  Only the most vile, toxic waste pieces of shit are bought and I'll dabble in the 3x leveraged ETFs from time to time as well.
The real retirement account is safely locked away where I just put a set amount into a stock index fund every month and forget about it.

I do the same thing, $1k into Robinhood keeps me entertained with some really stupid “investments” without risking my actual retirement money.