Dave Chappelle

futureman

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

That Caitlyn Jenner line also flopped because it doesn't have contemporary truth behind it.

"Why is it easier for Bruce Jenner to change his gender than it is for Cassius Clay to change his name?”

Really, Dave???? You're comparing 1964 to 2021? jfc.

People compare people from centeries ago to todays morals. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

It's like you really are as dumb as advertised.

No, he intentionally erases intersectionality from his entire schtick because if he acknowledges its existence, then he has to acknowledge his silent implication that all trans people are white, which proves the argument that he is a transphobe. 

QED

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

but Chapelle is still the funniest guy out there.

Thor: Ragnarok / Memes - TV Tropes

I haven't gotten around to watching The Closer yet and don't know what he did or didn't say about trans people in this special, but do you really believe this?  I watched the first couple of specials he did for Netflix a few years ago and they were good but not Chappelle at his peak, regardless of any controversy.

Dave peaked in the 2000's.  There's better standup on Netflix and elsewhere from others today.

Edited by Tom

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Haven’t seen it, but the list of people who REALLY liked it seems like a giant fucking red flag.

I like how butthurt Surly CRers get when they venture out of their hidey-hole and realize the rest of the world isn't as far left on every issue as they are. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

For someone who doesn’t give a fuck you’ve sure spent a lot of time and mental energy posting on this thread 

There are two confirmed trans people on this board. I think it’s relevant to share a trans person’s perspective about trans topics. 

The I don’t give a fuck comment was made to anyone who thinks he’s funny in this show, there’s not a lot that can be done if you think DC’s bathroom jokes about trans people are funny, or if you think he’s funny claiming alright status because he had one trans friend. 

I do give a fuck about representation, that’s why I’m here on this thread. 

Standup comics, in today's incarnation...as we know them from specials and clubs, can be traced throughout human history.  They are the original commentators on society and pre-date journalists and authors by a thousand years.  Sure the world could do without Carrot Top or Larry the Cable Guy, but the world needs Dave Chappelle, Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce, and Lewis Black when it comes to satirizing the political and sociological realms in which we find ourselves.  

When we start canceling political comics like Chappelle, IMHO, that's almost as bad as burning books.  You are stripping away the people that hold up a mirror to our bullshit, our hypocrisy, and our self-deceit.  You are making intellectual laziness, on all sides of the political spectrum, fashionable.  He's not just some guy up there throwing out insulting slurs for shock value...his body of work proves that.  When Bill Kristol or George Will comment on Trump, people should listen more to that than they should to Rachael Maddow bag on Donald.  When Bill Maher goes after Joe Biden, that should mean more than when Tucker does.  When Chappelle makes us consider where we are, how we got there, and where we're headed...you can fucking skip over it but I think it carries weight.

Cancel Culture isn't even a fucking thing.  It's a madeup boogeyman to pit us against one another, when in reality...yeah...showing your dick to an intern is an asshole move and you should probably get shitcanned over it.  But constantly berating brilliant satirists like Chappelle, it's just a slippery slope to censoring the one small band of true honest left in this rotten country which is so awash in lies and errant justification.  

Plus, he's fucking funny.  I know funny...he's funny.  And he's not blunt or offensive.  He's honest.  Plus, I can skip his Netflix special.  I can't skip 2021 America.

I know setting up and attacking strawmen is an internet tradItion perfected by shaggy and carried on by surly, but no one here is advocating for cancelling chappelle. The debate is whether he’s funny or not. Haven’t counted but for one of the funniest guys out there an awful lot think he’s just an ass, and not a funny one.  Though I’ll give you honest, he is an honest ass unapologetic about showing his too.

Edited by troph

I watched it last night.  I LOL heartily probably twice..

I like Dave Chappelle and think he's brilliant.  I felt like he kind of mailed that one in a bit.  I could be absolutely wrong.  Maybe my expectations were too high.

Some of it was just very meh... IMHO.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

When we start canceling political comics like Chappelle, IMHO, that's almost as bad as burning books. 

Oh please, Dave Chappelle is probably the wealthiest, most famous stand up comic in the world who can take his talents to whatever network or streaming service wants him, the idea that he's being "canceled' flies in the face of reality. He said really dumb shit about the trans community, doubled down on it, and he's rightfully getting called out for it. Comparing that to book burning is funnier than The Closer. 

10 hours ago, troph said:

You haven’t added once ounce of substance. I think you’ve said trope like 4 times though so I’ll give you that. 

Troph, I haven't watched the special yet. Can you type out, word for word, what sentences and paragraphs of his special you believe promote violence? 

Full disclosure, I generally like DC. IF I watch this special I want to have a mindset that can notice things I otherwise may not. And I expect you'll accept it if I disagree with you on whether it promotes violence. But you have a perspective that I don't, so I'd value your input here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

FWIW, I am also interested in troph's perspective. Gourmand's "white knighting" because he had a conversation with his wife cannot be taken seriously and is completely unproductive. But it is funny! And this is a thread about a comedy stand up, so I think his performance theater of the absurd is a good addition. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

LGBT is absolutely trying to cancel him. 

What  does that even mean? How exactly are they trying to "cancel" Dave Chappelle? This "cancel-culture!!!" silliiness is just a repackaging of 90's-era "political correctness" deployed by those who defend offensive shit to avoid having to address the actual argument. Dave Chappelle is a fucking asshole and idiot about trans issues, but he is a legendary comedian who can never be actually canceled because he will always have a huge audience and an influential voice. The trans community isn't canceling him, they're simply pointing out that he is an ignorant asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Acting like there is not a reflexive "cancel culture" in play now, notwithstanding nearly every major public figure and unorthodox academic decrying it, is truly amazing cognitive dissonance. Just read what Gourmand wrote. In one paragraph, he says "cancel culture does not exist" and "he cannot be cancelled because he has a huge audience and is influential." What difference does it make how large an audience somebody has or whether they are influential if the cancel culture does not exist anyway?

It represents a total failure of critical thought which appears to be steeped in some sort of delusion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, troph said:

It would be one thing if the trans shit only harmed white trans chicks like me but it’s unlikely to do anything negative to me, maybe some silly negs on surly (hi pilotserror and drbeeper), the problem is he’s really perpetuating violence against black queer and especially black trans people. Fuck Dave Chappelle. This isn’t a “controversial topic” for some it’s life or death. He can take his cash and wallow in it, found himself, pffft, whatever dude, you aren’t funny anymore.

here’s a good write up on it from a gay black man too, he says it much better:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq.com/story/chappelle-the-closer/amp

The writer of that article said they turned it off and didn't finish watching, and i just thought i would point that out. Like how can you write a big long critical piece about it, when you admit that you did not view it in it's entirety?

I havent watched this either but god damn man, he's a comedian and he makes fun of shit. Saying it leads to people dying is a stretch to say the least.

• Hook 'Em 1

There is hyperbolic crying "Cancel Culture!" when really it's just people being called to task on their bullshit.  That's fine. 

But there are people are have literally been 'Canceled'  As in have their shows taken away, networks/streaming services void contracts, lawsuits filed, terminations, removals from office, etc.  

Just to be clear, there are two versions of that term.  One is political whining, granted.  The other is real but to Gourmand's point...Chappelle is literally too big to cancel.  He's savvy enough, he'd have his own streaming service called "Chappelle" where you get all his standups, original content, his old show reruns, and specials done by friends of his all beamed to you for $4.95/month.  And it'd be up and running within 6 months.  Nothing wrong with the LGBTQ community calling him out on the mat.  If Netflix caves though and removes that segment from the special for future broadcast, that's a slippery slope though.

47 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Acting like there is not a reflexive "cancel culture" in play now, notwithstanding nearly every major public figure and unorthodox academic decrying it, is truly amazing cognitive dissonance. Just read what Gourmand wrote. In one paragraph, he says "cancel culture does not exist" and "he cannot be cancelled because he has a huge audience and is influential." What difference does it make how large an audience somebody has or whether they are influential if the cancel culture does not exist anyway?

It represents a total failure of critical thought which appears to be steeped in some sort of delusion. 

The current trend of taking away someone's livelihood because of something like a misinterpreted tweet from a decade ago is a despicable practice IMO and if this is what "cancel culture" is referring to, then it deserves all the criticism one can throw at it.

However, you're kidding yourself if you don't think run-of-the-mill criticism is being lumped into this "cancel culture" narrative by certain parties looking to politicize the discussion and reduce the gray from certain issues that are far from black and white.

Dave Chappelle is a fucking genius and one of the best ever with a mic in his hand.  He has also repeatedly said some pretty hurtful shit about a group that historically has had a pretty rough go of it in society.  Certain parties criticizing this is valid and simply brushing aside this as "cancel culture" is lazy at best, disingenuous at worst.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Of course not. Does anyone else get near the criticism?  Chappelle is playing defense here against a group hellbent on getting him. 

Another comedian? I have no idea, probably not currently. It seems with his recent material/shows he's become really good at strategically shielding himself from saying whatever he wants. And framing any criticism as him just being honest or stating facts.  

Is that comedy? <shrug>

"Cancel culture" is just a trope used by one side against another while being guilty of exactly the same schtick. When a comedian's act is criticized for something the other side likes, it's "cancel culture," but when a football player is criticized for kneeling during the national anthem, they call it "patriotism." Nobody actually gets cancelled except for egrigious shit like Weinstein or to a lesser degree Louis CK (who I still think can be redeemed, he just tried too quickly) or Matt Lauer. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

And Jon Gruden, rightfully so.

But cancel culture most certainly exists.  LGBT is trying to get Netflix to pull his stuff. You’ve got LGBT show runners quitting shows in protest and you can bet they’ll be litigious. 

Nobody cancelled Kaepernick. It turns out he wasn’t a very good QB. 

Have you seen some of the trash playing backup or third string QB over the last several years? He most certainly was cancelled by the league and they had to pay him a settlement. He'd throw circles around Cooper Rush and some of the other idiots the Cowboys have had on their backup roster. And asking someone to pull material is not being cancelled. Netflix isn't pulling shit and punished an employee for barging into a board meeting uninvited. 

• Hook 'Em 4

14 hours ago, troph said:

No he can say whatever the fuck he wants. It’s not funny.  That’s the point. Half a dozen or more people here said the same thing but OMFG the tranny is mad. Nope. It was bad comedy. And one reason is because just like the white guy making black jokes the context wins. Dave’s an asshole and he was talking out of it on stage and a lot of folks just think it’s bad humor.

Wait, so white men can't make jokes about blacks, but blacks can make all the white jokes they want? That doesn't seem a bit, i dunno, off?

5 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Wait, so white men can't make jokes about blacks, but blacks can make all the white jokes they want? That doesn't seem a bit, i dunno, off?

I swear to god, this is such stupid bullshit. White comedians joke about black people all the time. Straight people joke about gays and others all the time. Have you ever watched Daniel Tosh? Norm MacDonald? Bert Kreischer? Its all about context. Many can get away with it, others can't because they are bad comedians or bad at context or are being obviously hateful and not humorous. It seems that this controversy here is whether Dave is trying to laugh with the trans community or at them, and the disagreement alone indicates that he failed to set up a proper context, or might in fact have open hostility towards trans people which comes across in the act. I'm going to watch intently this weekend and form my own opinion. I just recall his more recent specials feeling more like a lecture than a comedy special, and the trans stuff was funny for a moment, then he kept at it and it lost the humorous context in my opinion. Focusing on it in a new special tells me that there is likely some legitimacy to the criticism. Almost as though he's poking the bear solely to push buttons. I'll have more to say this weekend for sure.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I swear to god, this is such stupid bullshit. White comedians joke about black people all the time. Straight people joke about gays and others all the time. Have you ever watched Daniel Tosh? Norm MacDonald? Bert Kreischer? Its all about context. Many can get away with it, others can't because they are bad comedians or bad at context or are being obviously hateful and not humorous. It seems that this controversy here is whether Dave is trying to laugh with the trans community or at them, and the disagreement alone indicates that he failed to set up a proper context, or might in fact have open hostility towards trans people which comes across in the act. I'm going to watch intently this weekend and form my own opinion. I just recall his more recent specials feeling more like a lecture than a comedy special, and the trans stuff was funny for a moment, then he kept at it and it lost the humorous context in my opinion. Focusing on it in a new special tells me that there is likely some legitimacy to the criticism. Almost as though he's poking the bear solely to push buttons. I'll have more to say this weekend for sure.

I was commenting on Troph's issues with who can and can't tell jokes about certain demographics. It's fucking comedy. Don't like it? Don't fucking watch it. Turning into an indictment on society and trying to cancel a comedian is just about the dumbest shit on Earth. Troph is talking out of both sides of her face and it's nauseating. 

I love all those comedians you listed. Just as I love Bill Burr, Jeselnik, Louie CK (the horror), Chapelle, Pryor, Murphy, Bernie Mac, and Carlin. They all have said offensive shit from time to time. Big fucking deal. 

Edited by lateshow

14 hours ago, Nivek said:

Cishet? Do you really talk like this?

right..

and Trophs post here, are exactly what Dave was talking about, at least that's how I understood the point of the show. Its a shame people would rather get offended and defensive then actually listen to what people are saying and view it from their POV

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Smax said:

right..

and Trophs post here, are exactly what Dave was talking about, at least that's how I understood the point of the show. Its a shame people would rather get offended and defensive then actually listen to what people are saying and view it from their POV

Word. 

1 hour ago, Smax said:

right..

the usual suspects are now here.  hi lateshow! 

as to listening to Dave?  oh I listened.  he wants folks to think he's not a hater in his interviews. in his stand up he tells stories about trans women with big dicks in the bathroom and how that bothers him so send those big dick men to the women's room.  ok, got it.  the humor?  fail to see it except at the expense of trans folks, I mean men in dresses is kinda funny I guess but not really.  so why is that funny, what's the essence of the humor?  he's a master satirist?  ok what is he trying to accomplish?  make fun of himself as a hypocrite?  he's no transphobe but he's afraid of tits and a meaty dick? so send those scary fucks to the women's room? 

he's got mad respect for the gloryhole gays (read: male gays) and what they did at stonewall, ok, why is that funny?  it wasn't even gay men who rioted.  it was trans people of color. oops, never mentioned, so he's a hate on white people comedian that has mad respect for white men whitewashing the stonewall riots story?  he's siding with white gays who silenced black queer and trans folk, really?  still confused, how is this one funny?

Daphne, this one is a real doozy, this one is basically this - he's a good guy because a white trans lady worshiped him and let him tell trans jokes and wasn't offended, so neither should you.  He's got a trans friend (or had one) so how can he be a hater?  this is essentially the white guy saying "I'm not racist, see I have a black friend." 

yes, twitter and SJWs are insane here and they eat their own, they should be railed on, white straight acting gay men got better treatment quicker than black men, yeah, totally a valid point, but dave wasn't funny here, his punch line "your father was a good woman" or whatever it was, isn't a $20M punch line.  it's older than dirt, it's tired and it's dumb.

the guy is a snowflake, he wants to say the worst and then wants to blast people for not being ok with it. then he wants to throw his hands up and say he's not a hater yet even how he talks about it doesn't support that. that's the real joke.  say what you want, be a man about it and take the heat.

the bottom line - if a white comedian joked about blacks in the same way he jokes about us trannies, that white comedian would get torched by the black community and rightfully so.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Gourmand said:

That Caitlyn Jenner line also flopped because it doesn't have contemporary truth behind it.

"Why is it easier for Bruce Jenner to change his gender than it is for Cassius Clay to change his name?”

Really, Dave???? You're comparing 1964 to 2021? jfc.

I'd say that line flopped because its objectively not true.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

And Jon Gruden, rightfully so.

But cancel culture most certainly exists.  LGBT is trying to get Netflix to pull his stuff. You’ve got LGBT show runners quitting shows in protest and you can bet they’ll be litigious. 

Nobody cancelled Kaepernick. It turns out he wasn’t a very good QB. 

...and Netflix has said "yeah, no, we're not pulling shit, Chapelle is awesome(moneymaker) and he's not going anywhere". nobody is cancelling him.

but someone has quit working there bc of it, which is totally appropriate and the way to walk the walk, good for them.

and Netflix has also said, explicitly, 'we encourage free thought/speech and support our employees speaking their minds, good or bad'.

and the trans employee initially fired for crashing the meeting was reinstated and Netflix publicly apologized.

there's literally nothing to litigate here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

FWIW, I am also interested in troph's perspective. Gourmand's "white knighting" because he had a conversation with his wife cannot be taken seriously and is completely unproductive. But it is funny! And this is a thread about a comedy stand up, so I think his performance theater of the absurd is a good addition. 

Aww butthurt because I called out your stupidity in this thread?

You are right that you should definitely listen to troph over me. I'm not white knighting anyone here, I'm not offended by Chappelle, I'm just a hetero dude who can understand the trans argument against The Closer and thinks he parades his ignorance from the jump when says shit like "Gender is a fact" (yes, it is) and then immediately starts yammering about vaginas and birth canals.

I'm sure you don't understand what's wrong with that either. 

25 minutes ago, troph said:

the usual suspects are now here.  hi lateshow! 

as to listening to Dave?  oh I listened.  he wants folks to think he's not a hater in his interviews. in his stand up he tells stories about trans women with big dicks in the bathroom and how that bothers him so send those big dick men to the women's room.  ok, got it.  the humor?  fail to see it except at the expense of trans folks, I mean men in dresses is kinda funny I guess but not really.  so why is that funny, what's the essence of the humor?  he's a master satirist?  ok what is he trying to accomplish?  make fun of himself as a hypocrite?  he's no transphobe but he's afraid of tits and a meaty dick? so send those scary fucks to the women's room? 

he's got mad respect for the gloryhole gays (read: male gays) and what they did at stonewall, ok, why is that funny?  it wasn't even gay men who rioted.  it was trans people of color. oops, never mentioned, so he's a hate on white people comedian that has mad respect for white men whitewashing the stonewall riots story?  he's siding with white gays who silenced black queer and trans folk, really?  still confused, how is this one funny?

Daphne, this one is a real doozy, this one is basically this - he's a good guy because a white trans lady worshiped him and let him tell trans jokes and wasn't offended, so neither should you.  He's got a trans friend (or had one) so how can he be a hater?  this is essentially the white guy saying "I'm not racist, see I have a black friend." 

yes, twitter and SJWs are insane here and they eat their own, they should be railed on, white straight acting gay men got better treatment quicker than black men, yeah, totally a valid point, but dave wasn't funny here, his punch line "your father was a good woman" or whatever it was, isn't a $20M punch line.  it's older than dirt, it's tired and it's dumb.

the guy is a snowflake, he wants to say the worst and then wants to blast people for not being ok with it. then he wants to throw his hands up and say he's not a hater yet even how he talks about it doesn't support that. that's the real joke.  say what you want, be a man about it and take the heat.

the bottom line - if a white comedian joked about blacks in the same way he jokes about us trannies, that white comedian would get torched by the black community and rightfully so.

Yep didn't listen to what he was saying. I'm about to board a plane but the short of it, at least how I understood the message was this

Yes the trans movement is a movement but not the only one the society needs to understand and fix. The trans community is "screaming" about their injustice like they are the only persecuted "class" out there. To me Dave is trying to point to you all, what you are experiencing, we (African American) have been dealing with and much worse for over 200 years. 

Short yes we can dive deeper into it but that is message I took in from this latest show

2 hours ago, &#x27;stache said:

"Cancel culture" is just a trope used by one side against another while being guilty of exactly the same schtick. When a comedian's act is criticized for something the other side likes, it's "cancel culture," but when a football player is criticized for kneeling during the national anthem, they call it "patriotism." Nobody actually gets cancelled except for egrigious shit like Weinstein or to a lesser degree Louis CK (who I still think can be redeemed, he just tried too quickly) or Matt Lauer. 

Or Jon Gruden.

11 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Aww butthurt because I called out your stupidity in this thread?

You are right that you should definitely listen to troph over me. I'm not white knighting anyone here, I'm not offended by Chappelle, I'm just a hetero dude who can understand the trans argument against The Closer and thinks he parades his ignorance from the jump when says shit like "Gender is a fact" (yes, it is) and then immediately starts yammering about vaginas and birth canals.

I'm sure you don't understand what's wrong with that either. 

I'm not mad at you. I just think your schtick is funny. 

Plus, I didn't say anything "stupid." And thank you for letting me know who I should listen to more. That is very validating, and very helpful, and definitely does not dovetail perfectly with your role in this thread of "Objective Heterosexual White Male Who GETS IT And Is Here To Help."

Edited by BHMCruiser
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Smax said:

Yep didn't listen to what he was saying. I'm about to board a plane but the short of it, at least how I understood the message was this

Yes the trans movement is a movement but not the only one the society needs to understand and fix. The trans community is "screaming" about their injustice like they are the only persecuted "class" out there. To me Dave is trying to point to you all, what you are experiencing, we (African American) have been dealing with and much worse for over 200 years. 

Short yes we can dive deeper into it but that is message I took in from this latest show

yeah I did, I said I get what he was trying to say in my post that you didn't read.  I just think his execution was terrible and not funny and he's a butthurt comedian that is once again "misunderstood".  Fuck that guy.  grow some thicker skin Dave if you want to talk about meaty dicks and titties at the urinal.

Edited by troph

"trans bathroom intersectionality" 

Maybe you should just start with sex vs gender and work your way from there.

That was obviously a fucking joke, dumbass. The whole point is that is NOT what intersectionality is, and using it that way demonstrates conclusively that I do not know what that word means, so using the word sets up an absurd situation. 

Maybe you're the one who doesn't have enough brain power to be commenting on a comedy special. Try having a conversation with your wife about comedy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

That was obviously a fucking joke, dumbass. The whole point is that is NOT what intersectionality is, and using it that way demonstrates conclusively that I do not know what that word means, so using the word sets up an absurd situation. 

Maybe you're the one who doesn't have enough brain power to be commenting on a comedy special. Try having a conversation with your wife about comedy.

Wow your jokes are hilarious. Are you really so stupid that you don't know what that word refers to? Are you really that stupid that you cannot imagine the intersection of people who are LGBTQ and  a person of color?

Here's the point you keep ignoring: Chappelle intentionally erases the existence of black trans ppl because they don't fit within his "black oppression vs LGBTQ oppression" framing. So, from a comedic perspective, there's a huge gaping hole of truth that makes the whole thing fall apart.  It's just very lame and not that funny. 

Wow your jokes are hilarious. Are you really so stupid that you don't know what that word refers to? Are you really that stupid that you cannot imagine the intersection of people who are LGBTQ and  a person of color?

Here's the point you keep ignoring: Chappelle intentionally erases the existence of black trans ppl because they don't fit within his "black oppression vs LGBTQ oppression" framing. So, from a comedic perspective, there's a huge gaping hole of truth that makes the whole thing fall apart.  It's just very lame and not that funny. 

you are extraordinarily dense

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

and all of this "the trans movement and its success" talk ignores the reality:

WASHINGTON, D.C. – With an unprecedented number of anti-LGBTQ measures sweeping through state legislatures across the country, 2021 has officially surpassed 2015 as the worst year for anti-LGBTQ legislation in recent history, according to updated tracking and analysis by the Human Rights Campaign (detailed breakdown below). The previous record — set six years ago in 2015, when 15 anti-LGBTQ bills were enacted into law — was broken on Friday, as the seventeenth anti-LGBTQ bill was enacted into law. In addition, 11 anti-LGBTQ bills are on governors’ desks awaiting signature or veto and several more are continuing to move through state legislatures across the country.

More than 250 anti-LGBTQ bills have been introduced in state legislatures in 2021, including:

• At least 35 bills that would prohibit transgender youth from being able to access best-practice, age-appropriate, gender-affirming medical care
  • At least 69 bills that would prohibit transgender youth (and in some cases college students) from participating in sports consistent with their gender identity
  • At least 43 bills that would allow people to assert a religious belief as justification for failing to abide by the law or provide services to people of whom they disapprove
  • At least 15 bills that would prohibit transgender people from having access to restrooms or locker rooms consistent with their gender identity

https://www.hrc.org/press-releases/2021-officially-becomes-worst-year-in-recent-history-for-lgbtq-state-legislative-attacks-as-unprecedented-number-of-states-enact-record-shattering-number-of-anti-lgbtq-measures-into-law

Sadly, 2021 has already seen at least 39 transgender or gender non-conforming people fatally shot or killed by other violent means. We say at least because too often these stories go unreported — or misreported. In previous years, the majority of these people were Black and Latinx transgender women.

In 2020, HRC tracked a record number of violent fatal incidents against transgender and gender non-conforming people. A total of 44 fatalities were tracked by HRC, marking 2020 as the most violent year on record since HRC began tracking these crimes in 2013.

https://www.hrc.org/resources/fatal-violence-against-the-transgender-and-gender-non-conforming-community-in-2021

I'm all for telling twitter not to eat their own, or acknowledging that white gay men - especially those that can pass as straight - have seen their civil rights increase at a rate no black man or woman has ever seen is an issue.  but just because woke people in Austin and Seattle have trans friends doesn't mean shit goes well for trans folks.  so Dave can joke about how she (his "friend" Daphne) was a good father all he wants and hide behind some 4-D chess and satire that the trans movement has too much success and the black civil rights movement needs more attention but in the end, it's a stupid joke, based on the fact that he just doesn't want to hear about trannies anymore.  Well fuck me and call me Sam again.  Trans folks have been pushed under a rock for the entirety of western civilization until just recently.  good lord man, this shit's just getting started, buckle up buttercup. 

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

1. Go fuck yourself.

2. Repeat step 1 

You literally have said nothing substantive in this thread and you've not addressed a single criticism with anything remotely intelligent. 

I’m not even engaging with you because what you have said is so silly. I’m sure that’s frustrating for someone with your intellectual limitations. Is your wife around? Maybe I could talk with her?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

So oddly I read this thread before watching The Closer just now. I don’t know how the hell anyone can watch that whole special and come away thinking that DC was denigrating, demeaning, or mocking anything about LGBT. I thought it was fantastic.

I think it’s possible that some people had their minds made up before they tuned in. I got a lot of laughs. Dave’s a genius. When you’re walking the edge and pushing boundaries, not everything works. Watch it all the way to the end before you judge. 

• Hook 'Em 3