Dave Chappelle

futureman

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I agree it's probably inaccurate (I'm not part of either community so I cannot speak with any certainty), but a few observations are that (1) the civil rights movement for black people began and had some quick success at a time where nobody spoke about trans people and being gay was still illegal in many states, so there was a huge time advantage there, and (2) it seems to me that trans and even some gay people are still being discriminated against not only on social media but by people in power. As a society we were far more progressive as a whole when trans and gay issues really came to a head, so it makes a lot of sense that it had quicker success.

But, even if the statement is true (and again I don't speak for either community so maybe it is) what does it matter? We can't address LGBTQ discrimination until racial discrimination is eliminated? 

I think Dave's anger, if I understood it correctly, is misdirected. He seems frustrated with the trans and LGTBQ community for these issues. He should be mad at the majority in this country which, if he's correct, made LGBTQ acceptance easier than racial acceptance. It's not the trans communities fault that many white people have regressed on race relations in full cloak room fashion. The direction of his frustrations seems off to me.

I don't think that's really his frustration. I think he is more frustrated that he can tell jokes about everything but everybody acts like he killed a baby when he makes trans jokes. The focus of the special is not "look at that movement why do blacks still have it so bad?", it's "I'm not the one punching down at you. I'm just one guy. Society is punching down at me for expressing my opinion. Give me even footing." 

I really think it's that simple. The rest is just jokes.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I don't think that's really his frustration. I think he is more frustrated that he can tell jokes about everything but everybody acts like he killed a baby when he makes trans jokes. The focus of the special is not "look at that movement why do blacks still have it so bad?", it's "I'm not the one punching down at you. I'm just one guy. Society is punching down at me for expressing my opinion. Give me even footing." 

I really think it's that simple. The rest is just jokes.

If that's his point, than he's not the genius many people seem to think he is, because he did a terrible job of conveying that message. It sounded like a 45 minute bitch session, and 15 minutes of jokes. Again, I did enjoy most of it, but I fully understand the pushback.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If that's his point, than he's not the genius many people seem to think he is, because he did a terrible job of conveying that message. It sounded like a 45 minute bitch session, and 15 minutes of jokes. Again, I did enjoy most of it, but I fully understand the pushback.

Seems to me like the vast majority of people got it

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Seems to me like the vast majority of people got it

34 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

"I'm not the one punching down at you. I'm just one guy. Society is punching down at me for expressing my opinion. Give me even footing." 

I said it in my initial post, this in and of itself is whiny as fuck. Get over it, man.

2 hours ago, troph said:

my personal success, however great or modest it may be, is not because I protest, but because I collaborate. 

This is the way. Success in changing minds begins with changing hearts. Telling someone that they are an idiot for their beliefs shuts down legitimate discussion. Props.

Edited by Cheeseweasel
Oh Dave
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

My problem with Dave is he quit his show originally because he was afraid that he was no longer satirizing and was instead perpetuating racial stereotypes, especially when he saw how many white dudes were repeating his jokes. He realized he was in a marginalized group and "othering" him. He then comes back and decides to marginalize another group that has less power than the group he is in. Its not ok to make fun of black people because he's black and there's a history of oppression  but its ok for him to make fun of trans people because its just comedy and he's just pushing boundaries right? Dave seems like a thoughtful guy and I believe he would never say that to a trans person he met in real life but for 20 million he's willing to do it and hide behind some sort of artistic license.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, troph said:

nathan fillion castle GIF

Castle...oh...sorry. I just don't feel like comedy, books, movies, art should be censored unless they are advocating violence towards others. Comedy probably is the hardest thing to do right now. It is definitely a subtle nuance. I have been working up the courage for my own stuff. Been working on it. Just performed it in front of a few friends. But I digress...if half of the people or some of the people feel harmed or hurt in some way...to me its not brilliant. I look at Robin Williams etc. there are ways to make jokes that people can all find funny. Or enjoy. I am not saying it should be homogenized or watered down. I think if you are funny people will laugh and it works. If it is not funny well my bad. 

7 minutes ago, troph said:

I was simply saying MK had a great point that's hard to counter, he said what I was trying to say but he said it better.  that's all.

Also in the Urban Meyer thread (which where are the classics???) I promised you we'd get a pedicure and mamosas. I am a legit poster I was seen at the surly tailgate twice and met by many. I would be honored to hang with ya. I just can't get into censoring comedy. We lose that...then fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Also in the Urban Meyer thread (which where are the classics???) I promised you we'd get a pedicure and mamosas. I am a legit poster I was seen at the surly tailgate twice and met by many. I would be honored to hang with ya. I just can't get into censoring comedy. We lose that...then fuck. 

I’ll hang with you, and I never once said DC should be censored. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

My problem with Dave is he quit his show originally because he was afraid that he was no longer satirizing and was instead perpetuating racial stereotypes, especially when he saw how many white dudes were repeating his jokes. He realized he was in a marginalized group and "othering" him. He then comes back and decides to marginalize another group that has less power than the group he is in. Its not ok to make fun of black people because he's black and there's a history of oppression  but its ok for him to make fun of trans people because its just comedy and he's just pushing boundaries right? Dave seems like a thoughtful guy and I believe he would never say that to a trans person he met in real life but for 20 million he's willing to do it and hide behind some sort of artistic license.

Total nonsense

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Bullshit.

“And all these white people sitting at that table told me, ‘Trust us Dave, it’s a good contract.’”

Edited by WhatTheBuck

8 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

It’s not hard to counter. It’s total bullshit real lowest common denominator type stuff. 

Pretty sure it’s part of his soul searching during his absence.  I’m not going to share what black jokes as an analogy with his trans jokes would sound like, it would embarrass and shock the fuck out of me to do so, but it’s there and anyone who joked about blacks the way he jokes about trans people would rightfully be crucified in the media. No censorship here, I’m very consistent but his humor is the lowest common denominator when it comes to us. For Christ sakes his center piece is bathroom jokes. We’ve been over this MK is correct, notwithstanding DC also got fucked in his contract too.

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

We are the world
We are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day, so let's start giving……..

giving what?  blowjobs? free candy to the kids? trans people bullshit?  I'm kidding, I'll let you guess which one the ladies kid about. o_O

12 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

You know what hasn't been addressed here? Chappelle has gotten pretty jacked since his Chappelle Show days.

Dave Chappelle Reveals Shockingly Buff New Look - ABC News

black joe rogan?  though that vest looks like black Alex Jones. fuck kick her out she's making jokes... booo hissssss. halol.

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2021 at 3:11 PM, BabaYaga said:

He addresses this: “I have never had a problem with transgender people. If you listen to what I’m saying clearly, my problem has always been with white people,”........... “Gay people are minorities until they need to be white again.”

On 10/22/2021 at 11:48 AM, Buzzrock said:

There’s a lot of comments here that make me think people didn’t actually watch the special.

to add on:

chappelle's problem isn't with the trans community.  it's with the rich, white people within that movement who accuse him, a member of a minority group horribly trampled on for decades, of being an oppressor.  and this justice of cancellation discriminately dealt out to those who punch down on them rankles him because THEY are the ones who are punching down on everyone else.  

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

For anyone interested, Bari Weiss discussed Chapelle and the broader issue on her latest podcast episode:

https://www.honestlypod.com/podcast/episode/29266fe3/women-like-hunting-witches-too

she starts the show about how welcoming and communal the Leeds gay community was, how they all saw themselves in the same boat as being oppressed.  she explains how pervasive the patriarchy is and how she as a lesbian had the double whammy of being a female and rejecting the sexuality of men.  that's the basis of her feminism (of course later I'm excluded).  no. fucking. shit.  Julie, you really think I don't get what being a woman, rejecting male biology and also as a lesbian the sexuality of men means?  come on Julie, seriously come on. 

and she tells a story about a trans women and says multiple times  he [sic] is a man.  a trans identified man, presenting as a trans women.  look, she can do whatever she wants, she can say what ever she wants, I don't care.  but when you chose language that rejects someone for who they believe and say they are, you are being verbally violent.  Julie you can sincerely believe it, with your whole heart and believe you are a good feminist and justified because you've been harassed and threatened.  that's fine.  but even I, an even keeled gal sitting here in my home listening to you have a cortisol dump when you use that language. 

dozens of her examples of what being a women means, are experiences trans women have.  but again, we are excluded.  I have no interest in violence.  I have no interest in joining trans women who act like hooligans, but I also have no interest in joining looters and rioters who act like hooligans and rioters but I don't criticize the movements in broad swaths.  

she talks about prostitution and sexual power of men, for some trans women, it's the only job they can find.  yet trans women are excluded from that part of the conversation.

her hypocrisy is blinded by the stupid behavior of a few.

now the reality, women like Julie attract THE worst of the trans movement, but women who aren't as powerful as Julie but who believe what she does do violent things to trans women, that's the TERF movement on the streets. I've already explained my experience of TERF doxxing.  The battle between them and these radical trans activists is awful and it's quite disgusting, both sides.

Her entire position on prison is that women are the most disenfranchised so trans women should not be allowed in women prisons, what the focus should be on is preventing rape and violence of trans women by men in men's prisons.  that's THE most absurd thing I've ever heard.  if she wants to cherry pick a few stories about perverts that's fine, but holy shit, do you know what my nightmare is?  being wrongly convicted of a crime and being sent to a male prison.  I can't even.

her fundamental problem is that she cannot see that she and I share a fundamental experience, she cannot see that 99.99% of trans women are for all intents and purposes related to societal functions and experiences are women and that she is engaging on the fringes with the worst of the worst and she is now saying that's who I am.

again she can think what she wants, but it's really gross to me and thankfully I'm positive it's gross to most of the women that I know.

29 minutes ago, troph said:

Her entire position on prison is that women are the most disenfranchised so trans women should not be allowed in women prisons, what the focus should be on is preventing rape and violence of trans women by men in men's prisons.  that's THE most absurd thing I've ever heard.  if she wants to cherry pick a few stories about perverts that's fine, but holy shit, do you know what my nightmare is?  being wrongly convicted of a crime and being sent to a male prison.  I can't even.

i haven't listened to the podcast and have no idea who Julie is, but this paragraph is quite disturbing to me...i cannot imagine the terror and danger of that (sending a trans woman to a male prison). honestly seems inhumane. one could argue the merits of a separate ward in a female prison, but ^that would be the worst. jeez.  

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i haven't listened to the podcast and have no idea who Julie is, but this paragraph is quite disturbing to me...i cannot imagine the terror and danger of that (sending a trans woman to a male prison). honestly seems inhumane. one could argue the merits of a separate ward in a female prison, but ^that would be the worst. jeez.  

There is an easy solution to that problem.

• Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, troph said:

verbally violent. 

^^^^^^ this right here is why I cannot support you as much as maybe we'd both like. There's no such thing as "verbally violent." I reject the concept on an existential level, and I would advise you to reconsider using this paradigm at all because all it says to people is "I don't want to have a disagreement because I can't win on the merits." 

• Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

This might be a dumb question, but what does "rejecting the sexuality of men" mean?

Rejecting penis I suppose.

I've recently become pretty close with a lesbian, and I enjoy her company more than I do most dudes. It started out with me hitting on her,, and her first words to me were, I'm not into cock. And I said, neither am I.  I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes then she bought me a drink. We have a lot of fun ogling women together, and she might be more depraved than me. 

I guess I brought this up because we never discuss differences,attitudes, politics or whatever it is the gay community may be experiencing.. i don't think she gives a fuck about any of it.. We are just friends having a good time. 

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

This might be a dumb question, but what does "rejecting the sexuality of men" mean?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-57853385

"I've had someone saying they would rather kill me than Hitler," says 24-year-old Jennie*.

"They said they would strangle me with a belt if they were in a room with me and Hitler. That was so bizarrely violent, just because I won't have sex with trans women."

Jennie is a lesbian woman. She says she is only sexually attracted to women who are biologically female and have vaginas. She therefore only has sex and relationships with women who are biologically female.

Jennie doesn't think this should be controversial, but not everyone agrees. She has been described as transphobic, a genital fetishist, a pervert and a "terf" - a trans exclusionary radical feminist.

Edited by Harrison Bergeron

40 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Fuck every bit of that shit. If I go home with what I think is a biological woman, and a dick pops out I'm not sure how I'd react.

Most likely confused and trying to think where I went wrong, what did I miss. 

If any trans person thinks that shouldn't matter then they are being selfish.

It would be sexual assault. You did not consent to that because you did not have all the information you would need to formulate consent. Some free advice though is that your reaction should be to be extremely nice, to say "I'm not interested" and to make sure they get home safely. Anything else and you've got a potential issue. 

I don’t know a single trans women that thinks someone should be forced to be ok with having sex with trans women.  It is your loss if you aren’t though. I mean I’ve been told I’m the best fuck she’s ever had. Kidding aside we are usually very thoughtful lovers very much attuned to our bodies and those of our partners.

as I mentioned Julie is on the fringe and fighting with the worst activists. Just like BLM shouldn’t be trashed because one black person looted neither should the trans movement be trashed because a few are completely off their rocker. 

99.99% of us just want to transition and blend into society without any fuss or attention. That’s why separate trans spaces are a problem. And believe me I avoid gendered situations as much as I can. I feel very uncomfortable in women only spaces even if inclusive. I’d much rather just go sailing or fishing alone and not have to deal with the background noise caused by DC this Julie gal, Dan Patrick, Pence and anyone else chirping about how I don’t belong. 

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

^^^^^^ this right here is why I cannot support you as much as maybe we'd both like. There's no such thing as "verbally violent." I reject the concept on an existential level, and I would advise you to reconsider using this paradigm at all because all it says to people is "I don't want to have a disagreement because I can't win on the merits." 

You serious? It’s a form of verbal abuse. And you don’t get to tell the recipient of verbal abuse it’s not. You have no grid for understanding this so that does not mean you are right and that’s the end of it.  

and support or don’t. You’re an anonymous guy on the web, believe it or not what you think here matters very little to me personally. 

7 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

It would be sexual assault. You did not consent to that because you did not have all the information you would need to formulate consent. Some free advice though is that your reaction should be to be extremely nice, to say "I'm not interested" and to make sure they get home safely. Anything else and you've got a potential issue. 

It would mist likely be the same reaction I'd have touching a hot stove. 

• Haha 1