2018 NFL Draft

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Go ahead and keep doing it their way.  Obviously must work.

The vet QB is a place holder, not the franchise QB.  You develop a mid-round QB.  But wasting 1st rounder after 1st rounder on a reach at QB and sticking him behind a shitty OL will result in what we've seen in Cleveland.

I am talking in general, not specifically to the players they draft. But getting a middle of the road vet is not a recipe of success. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Franchise QB is the most important position in the NFL if you want to be a consistent contender. I don't think Mayfield was the right choice (I prefer Darnold or Rosen for the Browns), but part of the reason the Browns have been in shambles is the complete lack of stability at QB.

I agree that you need a franchise QB.  But the Browns are nowhere close to a complete team just a franchise QB away.  They need to build up the body of the team before reaching for QBs.  BUILD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

I am talking in general, not specifically to the players they draft. But getting a middle of the road vet is not a recipe of success. 

Neither is reaching year after year for a QB, playing him too early, and throwing him to the wolves with no protection and no help.

Just now, Longhorn Al said:

I agree that you need a franchise QB.  But the Browns are nowhere close to a complete team just a franchise QB away.  They need to build up the body of the team before reaching for QBs.  BUILD

They have pieces. Coleman, Njoku, a couple good OL (losing Thomas hurts, of course), a highly talented front 7.

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

seriously, the Browns could have drafted Barkley or Chubb and no one would have bitched, because if they really wanted Mayfield, he would hve fucking been there at 4.

just astonishing how stupid they were on this.

Believe it or not, other teams like Mayfield. If you believe in your guy, you don't fuck around and risk losing him.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Ward is good, but they could have traded down, no?

Somebody's gotta want to trade with you at the right spot to get your guy. Not that easy.

They did OK. Ward is a damn good pick, I can see maybe not wanting to try to keep two high priced pass rushers and their egos in check.