• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

22 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Other than being a sweaty mess and some past unruly behavior from players (no worse than Urban), what again is keeping Gary Patterson from being a legitimate candidate?  He beats our ass up and down the field on a regular basis with half the talent. He obviously has a relationship with CDC and can get quality assistants. He’s 60, so has a solid 7-10 years left in him. 
I’d rather have him than a Franklin or Cristobal. 

The amount of people who've asked this question is truly amazing.  Patterson is 12-15 in conference his last three years and 17-17 overall.  Herman is 18-9 and 24-12 over that span.  TCU's recruiting class is 99th in the country and dead last in the  Big 12.  I don't care what his record is against Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. Why would you want that guy coaching our program? He fucking sucks.  

• Hook 'Em 6

My favorite part of Bobby’s waste of space update is the knob slobbing he gives the AD when all they have accomplished so far is getting turned down by Meyer and interviewing Gary Fucking Kubiak. Oh they notice that Dan Mullen and Matt Campbell are doing well and we should talk to them? Well splendid. That’s not fucking self evident or anything. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

My favorite part of Bobby’s waste of space update is the knob slobbing he gives the AD when all they have accomplished so far is getting turned down by Meyer and interviewing Gary Fucking Kubiak. Oh they notice that Dan Mullen and Matt Campbell are doing well and we should talk to them? Well splendid. That’s not fucking self evident or anything. 

Not bringing in Korn-Ferry to pick the candidates and make the hire is a big fucking win in my book.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not bringing in Korn-Ferry to pick the candidates and make the hire is a big fucking win in my book.

We shouldn’t confuse not being totally incompetent with doing a good job. The truth is, they haven’t accomplished anything yet. CDC keeps floating James Franklin and they even thought Kubiak should have been in the discussion. So far, I am not wild about CDC but he’s about to make himself known soon enough. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

All while his main man Eric casts doubts over CDC. 

33 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

No chance at him.  i know a few of you love him, idk, something just doesn't seem right.......anyways time to hop back into the Urban thread.

There are more people we aren’t getting than people want to think. I love that names just get thrown out like explosive diarrhea, but not everyone wants to coach here

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

There are more people we aren’t getting than people want to think. I love that names just get thrown out like explosive diarrhea, but not everyone wants to coach here

Of course not.  At this point the money is generally the same across all of the 'top' jobs - and if a coach is any damn good his current employer will match the salary. 

You have to find a guy that is either making a clear move up G5-P5, or at a historically stepping stone position, or a guy who is disgruntled with his employer for whatever reason (think Jimbo).

We're not getting an NFL HC unless he is a guy about to be fired (can I interest anyone in a Matt Nagy - barely used).

We're not getting a college HC at a top job (unless Dan Mullen truly does an issue with his AD)

We're going to have to either go find a guy at a stepping stone (like Campbell at ISU) a guy at a G5 (Fickell/Napier/Traylor) or a Coordinator (Elliot/Venables/Kubiak) 

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Of course not.  At this point the money is generally the same across all of the 'top' jobs - and if a coach is any damn good his current employer will match the salary. 

You have to find a guy that is either making a clear move up G5-P5, or at a historically stepping stone position, or a guy who is disgruntled with his employer for whatever reason (think Jimbo).

We're not getting an NFL HC unless he is a guy about to be fired (can I interest anyone in a Matt Nagy - barely used).

We're not getting a college HC at a top job (unless Dan Mullen truly does an issue with his AD)

We're going to have to either go find a guy at a stepping stone (like Campbell at ISU) a guy at a G5 (Fickell/Napier/Traylor) or a Coordinator (Elliot/Venables/Kubiak) 

I don't know why but Venables has always struck me as toxic.  Plus, in my view, he's one of those guys that are outstanding coordinators but lack the extra something to be a HC.  Also, he's a dick.

Edited by Frank Gallagher
sentence structure

2 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Good, on the Campbell thing, imo.

But it sounds like he's not all that interested in Texas.

Says who? Dennis Dodd regurgitated rumors from a year ago about where Campbell's interests would lie in a discussion with a local journalist in the midwest. Iowa State posters shockingly believe he'll die of old age as the Bill Snyder of their program. Who else is saying anything? 

Everyone has lost their fucking minds already with this coaching search. If Matt Campbell isn't interested, we'll only know that after his agent floats it that he *is* interested and then he either takes a big raise and announces that he's only interested in making ISU a perennial winner or until he interviews for and takes the job at Michigan, if it comes open. Matt Campbell, as well as any other coach that Texas approaches, is not simply going to say "not interested" and hang up. That isn't how it works, and I don't give one fuck if ISU honks want to show up here and talk about midwest values and how nice and good and genuine Matt Campbell is and that he'd never do such a thing. 

We haven't even gotten to the stage of reaching out to talk to people yet, unless it is happening now. 

42 minutes ago, Frank Gallagher said:

Why is Matt Rhule getting no love?

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The amount of people who've asked this question is truly amazing.  Patterson is 12-15 in conference his last three years and 17-17 overall.  Herman is 18-9 and 24-12 over that span.  TCU's recruiting class is 99th in the country and dead last in the  Big 12.  I don't care what his record is against Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. Why would you want that guy coaching our program? He fucking sucks.  

I'm with other folks who are simply going to start negging people when the following names come up:

-Gary Patterson

-Matt Rhule

-Kyle Shanahan

-Mack Brown

-Art Briles

Probably more. Starting with those, however. Just tired of seeing the lazy naivete and/or stupidity.

22 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

i told you so

we have a professional AD for the first time in a long time, and he's better than Dodds

So far, CDC has done nothing but float shitty names like James Franklin, Steve Sarkisian, and Gary Kubiag while whining about getting neutered in the Urban Meyer recruitment and pushing his own agenda about being the decisionmaker out to Bohls, Brian Davis, Anwar, and Chip Fucking Brown. Maybe we'll see him pull himself together and get something done soon, but he's not acquitting himself well right now. Sorry this is different than finding a new softball coach, Chris, but get your shit together. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I still think we are  a top five job, meaning , let's pretend it's free agency and you have a choice of taking any job in the country, without ties to a certain region, ie Dabo to Bama, Campbell to the midwest, Jimbo to Hicksville.  Factor in history, city, available resources internally, salary, talent pool, competition for said talent, wanting to be the best, easy path to conference titles.  What school comes out ahead of us?  USC, Florida? 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Says who? Dennis Dodd regurgitated rumors from a year ago about where Campbell's interests would lie in a discussion with a local journalist in the midwest. Iowa State posters shockingly believe he'll die of old age as the Bill Snyder of their program. Who else is saying anything? 

Everyone has lost their fucking minds already with this coaching search. If Matt Campbell isn't interested, we'll only know that after his agent floats it that he *is* interested and then he either takes a big raise and announces that he's only interested in making ISU a perennial winner or until he interviews for and takes the job at Michigan, if it comes open. Matt Campbell, as well as any other coach that Texas approaches, is not simply going to say "not interested" and hang up. That isn't how it works, and I don't give one fuck if ISU honks want to show up here and talk about midwest values and how nice and good and genuine Matt Campbell is and that he'd never do such a thing. 

We haven't even gotten to the stage of reaching out to talk to people yet, unless it is happening now. 

I'm with other folks who are simply going to start negging people when the following names come up:

-Gary Patterson

-Matt Rhule

-Kyle Shanahan

-Mack Brown

-Art Briles

Probably more. Starting with those, however. Just tired of seeing the lazy naivete and/or stupidity.

So far, CDC has done nothing but float shitty names like James Franklin, Steve Sarkisian, and Gary Kubiag while whining about getting neutered in the Urban Meyer recruitment and pushing his own agenda about being the decisionmaker out to Bohls, Brian Davis, Anwar, and Chip Fucking Brown. Maybe we'll see him pull himself together and get something done soon, but he's not acquitting himself well right now. Sorry this is different than finding a new softball coach, Chris, but get your shit together. 

Calm down sparky.

8 minutes ago, Frank Gallagher said:

I don't know why but Venables has always struck me as toxic.  Plus, in my view, he's one of those guys that are outstanding coordinators but the lack the extra something to be a HC.  Also, he's a dick.

He was part of the ou staff that punked Mack and Greg.  He also looks like he's about to stroke out.  Intense guy

14 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Oh REALLY, now?

This is a frighteningly awful take, here. And I mean, these past few weeks I've seen some of the worst takes I've ever seen on a message board.

He extended Herman and did not fire Shaka. I judge the AD by the success of the main revenue generating sports. That’s my criteria. He’s about to prove in both what he is about. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Frank Gallagher said:

Calm down sparky.

You showed up to this thread and asked if Texas would be interested in pursuing a current NFL coach, in his first year on the job, with a $50million buyout. I'm calm as a bomb. You need to get your shit together if you want to be taken seriously on this board. Asking about Matt Rhule is a terrible take. 

• Hook 'Em 7

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I still think we are  a top five job, meaning , let's pretend it's free agency and you have a choice of taking any job in the country, without ties to a certain region, ie Dabo to Bama, Campbell to the midwest, Jimbo to Hicksville.  Factor in history, city, available resources internally, salary, talent pool, competition for said talent, wanting to be the best, easy path to conference titles.  What school comes out ahead of us?  USC, Florida? 

I think we are a top 5 job - but a guy that's currently at a top 15 job probably isn't going to leave a comfortable situation with players he recruited, where he'll be paid the same post-Texas phone call, to come to Texas unless there is an issue.

Well CDC didn't stop it from happening right?  Then he spent all of this money on new assistants.  And what is he doing right now, while we are the talk of college football looking like a colossal clusterfuck?

I'm not ready to see CDC's head on a plate.  But I'm not about to write him a love letter either.  

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Wrong.

Herman's agent went over CDC's head and got the president of the University to agree to an extension that CDC didn't want.

Get your facts straight, and your opinions will suck less.

where is this information coming from? I only remember seeing it brought up opportunely in the last 3-4 weeks from the $9.95'ers that kept putting out articles with no new information, other than CDC was definitely the one in charge of the coaching search, not all those boosters. 

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Wrong.

Herman's agent went over CDC's head and got the president of the University to agree to an extension that CDC didn't want.

Get your facts straight, and your opinions will suck less.

If CDC cannot even control the contract of his own head coach, then your arguing he’s an empty suit just playing AD. And your account of the facts are just not correct anyway. 

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Gary Patterson

-Matt Rhule

-Kyle Shanahan

-Mack Brown

-Art Briles

Deep breaths there big guy.

I've never said Campbell wouldn't listen to Texas.  I've said I don't think he'd take the job at the end of the day for a myriad of reasons (and that Texas wouldn't be much better off with him), but you're going to fucking listen to anyone that can offer you unlimited funds and has a glut of in-state talent.  Matt Campbell will listen to Texas.  Urban Meyer listened to Texas.  Almost any coach Texas approaches is going to listen.

You're displaying the exact kind of textbook Texas arrogance that turns people off and would make someone think twice about this job. 

Oh, and you aren't going to hear shit from Matt Campbell's agent.  He doesn't have one.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So, you're saying there is a chance?

Seriously though - sounds like this has turned into a good old-fashioned coaching search.  Background checks, references, and interviews.  They'll hang on to Herman through the end of the season, past NSD1 and the conference championships.  He'll be let go after his post-season evaluation and after CDC/Hartzell have a better sense of who their top candidates are.

I'm all in on Gerry Hamilton/Jeff Howe/Rod Babers scenario of talking to the people who are going to say 'no' and find out who they'd recommend.  Ask enough of those guys and you'll start to hear the same names.  Worry less about the fan reaction and 'name' value and more about who can actually coach and evaluate.

Good post

1 - because I can't give up the 1% chance that Urban still says yes. 

2 - because that "listening to other coaches opinions" is apparently how we ended up with DKR from Bobby Dodd and others that turned us down at the time.  Everyone Gets a Trophy Podcast did a pretty good run down on the history of coaching searches at Texas.  One should have a stiff drink or two ready while listening to it.

Spoiler

We almost always fuck it up

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Deep breaths there big guy.

I've never said Campbell wouldn't listen to Texas.  I've said I don't think he'd take the job at the end of the day for a myriad of reasons (and that Texas wouldn't be much better off with him), but you're going to fucking listen to anyone that can offer you unlimited funds and has a glut of in-state talent.  Matt Campbell will listen to Texas.  Urban Meyer listened to Texas.  Almost any coach Texas approaches is going to listen.

You're displaying the exact kind of textbook Texas arrogance that turns people off and would make someone think twice about this job. 

Oh, and you aren't going to hear shit from Matt Campbell's agent.  He doesn't have one.

If Texas were to offer Campbell everything he asks for i.e. money, assistant salaries, control, facilities. What % would you put on him accepting it?

57 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Did I miss something somewhere?  Scott Stricklin was Mullen's boss for 6 years at Mississippi State before pulling him over to UF.  Why would he have an issue with him after 10 years working for him, and switching one job to another to continue working for him?

15 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

If Texas were to offer Campbell everything he asks for i.e. money, assistant salaries, control, facilities. What % would you put on him accepting it?

It would increase, for sure.  The control is something he seems to value, and the ability to be left alone by boosters would probably change my opinion.

It seems like he really hates the glad-handing, socializing, shoulder rubbing with the BMD types part of things.  It has always seemed that like at most blue blood jobs, especially this one, that's an expectation.  If Texas would let him stay in his little football bubble and do whatever the fuck he wants (which is basically what ISU does), I think he considers it much more.

I also really don't think he wants to have to play ISU on a regular basis.  In-conference moves are rare for head coaches, and usually involve things like going to a place where you have roots.  There's no way it won't be an awkward, unpleasant, vitriol laden environment.  Dan Mullen is a rare recent example of the in-conference move that doesn't seem based in a past with the new school.

When he came to ISU, he and his wife met directly with our AD in the AD's living room.  The AD's wife made dinner.  There were no agents, no BMDs, no committees.  Just a direct conversation.  Within 24 hours he'd accepted the job.  There wasn't a prelude, or a back channel conversation like a typical coaching search.  When we fired Rhoads, our AD called Toledo and they put him in direct contact with Campbell.  Campbell really is an unusual guy within the coaching ranks.  That doesn't mean he'll eschew Texas, but there seem to be a lot of people operating under the assumption that he's like every other coach (and for good reason - most are a certain way).  Maybe he is and it's all been an extremely calculated act the last 5 years.  You see plenty of that too.  I don't think it is.  I could be dead wrong.  I don't have any inside info, just the basic public nuggets that anyone following this guy's program as closely as I have would see.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jinx said:

Did I miss something somewhere?  Scott Stricklin was Mullen's boss for 6 years at Mississippi State before pulling him over to UF.  Why would he have an issue with him after 10 years working for him, and switching one job to another to continue working for him?

1 random post from random poster that Mullen and Stricklin had issues last season.  Just a hypothetical.

40 minutes ago, jinx said:

Well CDC didn't stop it from happening right?  Then he spent all of this money on new assistants.  And what is he doing right now, while we are the talk of college football looking like a colossal clusterfuck?

I'm not ready to see CDC's head on a plate.  But I'm not about to write him a love letter either.  

kim jong un GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I also really don't think he wants to have to play ISU on a regular basis.  In-conference moves are rare for head coaches, and usually involve things like going to a place where you have roots.  There's no way it won't be an awkward, unpleasant, vitriol laden environment.  Dan Mullen is a rare recent example of the in-conference move that doesn't seem based in a past with the new school.

Except for the fact that he was the OC for 2 national titles with that school?

Can we all just agree to stop talking about Mullen coming to Texas?  It ain't happening.  

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It would increase, for sure.  The control is something he seems to value, and the ability to be left alone by boosters would probably change my opinion.

It seems like he really hates the glad-handing, socializing, shoulder rubbing with the BMD types part of things.  It has always seemed that like at most blue blood jobs, especially this one, that's an expectation.  If Texas would let him stay in his little football bubble and do whatever the fuck he wants (which is basically what ISU does), I think he considers it much more.

When he came to ISU, he and his wife met directly with our AD in the AD's living room.  The AD's wife made dinner.  There were no agents, no BMDs, no committees.  Just a direct conversation.  Within 24 hours he'd accepted the job.  There wasn't a prelude, or a back channel conversation like a typical coaching search.  When we fired Rhoads, our AD called Toledo and they put him in direct contact with Campbell.  Campbell really is an unusual guy within the coaching ranks.  That doesn't mean he'll eschew Texas, but there seem to be a lot of people operating under the assumption that he's like every other coach (and for good reason - most are a certain way).  Maybe he is and it's all been an extremely calculated act the last 5 years.  You see plenty of that too.  I don't think it is.  I could be dead wrong.  I don't have any inside info, just the basic public nuggets that anyone following this guy's program as closely as I have would see.

I mean it's not like he would be a shitbag just for switching jobs. I don't think it would contradict how he's presented himself to you.

Edited by Bevo14

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

-Gary Patterson

-Matt Rhule

-Kyle Shanahan

-Mack Brown

-Art Briles

Is part of the problem that everyone including ADs likes to think they know a lot about football but are more willing to admit they don't know shit about minor sports? So they ask around to find out who the best coaches in the smaller sports are but bring their own frequently terrible opinions to football coaching searches? 

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I mean it's not like he would be a shitbag just for switching jobs. I don't think it would contradict how he's presented himself to you.

I agree.

But taking a job that requires you to face your old job every single year is different, and you know that.  I'm not calling him a shit bag, or insinuating anything, but if you don't think the ISU fanbase would be absolutely livid at him for taking another conference job, you're nuts.  It would be an absolute fever pitch of rage if he's wearing burnt orange at Jack Trice this fall.  That's human nature.

If he goes to Michigan?  That's 100% different.

4 minutes ago, jinx said:

Except for the fact that he was the OC for 2 national titles with that school?

Can we all just agree to stop talking about Mullen coming to Texas?  It ain't happening.  

Fuck, I forgot that completely.

Which strengthens my case.  You don't just job hop in the same conference unless there's a history.

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Al trying real hard to convince himself that they can keep Campbell. I mean some of it is legit, but damn there's some stretching there. 

I don't think we'll keep Campbell for the rest of his career.  I've been pretty unequivocal about that.

But I don't think he's just going to drop his jaw to the floor for the Bevo dong the way I assume most Texas fans think anyone approached about the job would.  The Michigan/ND/Ohio State trio all seem like jobs he'd absolutely take, as well as any good NFL job.  

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't think we'll keep Campbell for the rest of his career.  I've been pretty unequivocal about that.

But I don't think he's just going to drop his jaw to the floor for the Bevo dong the way I assume most Texas fans think anyone approached about the job would.  The Michigan/ND/Ohio State trio all seem like jobs he'd absolutely take, as well as any good NFL job.  

Assuming you think those jobs are different from Texas because of the midwest thing? Ya'll are some weird cats up there, no doubt. But I still believe he's ours if we want him.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Fuck, I forgot that completely.

Which strengthens my case.  You don't just job hop in the same conference unless there's a history.

And to further your point, I can't tell you the next time Florida will play Mississippi State since the new SEC format has the West never play the East.

The only recent coach I can think of coaching for 2 schools that are conference rivals is Saban.  As if LSU people needed more reason to hate Bammer.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

But I don't think he's just going to drop his jaw to the floor for the Bevo dong the way I assume most Texas fans think anyone approached about the job would. 

What are you talking about? The only thing ctj said unequivocally is that Campbell wouldn't just immediately say "not interested" and hang up. You're being weirdly defensive about this. 

Nobody is saying we call and he runs to Austin before we even talk terms. 

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, BradInATX said:

Assuming you think those jobs are different from Texas because of the midwest thing? Ya'll are some weird cats up there, no doubt. But I still believe he's ours if we want him.

Yes.  And because none of them require to play the program he built up to the get job on a regular basis.  Y'all just keep brushing past that like it doesn't matter.  It matters.  There's a reason it's very rare across the sport in general.