• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

10 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

Since we’re just throwing names out there, let’s get Jim Tressel. The sweater vest needs to make a comeback. 

Actually, Jim Tressel would be great IMO. I think he is president at Youngstown St. and is happy there. He was too conservative overall but if you could leave him to CEO the team, I think we would be competitive. I know CTJ is going to disagree, but I am good with that. It doesn't matter anyway as he isn't going to be called and wouldn't come here if he was called.

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That is what Art Briles did at Houston and Baylor. Except his versino of nasty ugly guys were rapist. But none the less that is a recipe to quickly turn things around. Especially if you have a staff that is competent and can coach them up. There are two things that aren't coachable in football and they are size and speed. Most especially the latter of that sentence. When it comes to 3/4 stars I believe I said in another thread but I'd take the much faster 3 star over the 4 star unless there was a glaring issue such as dropped passes and etc.

Also, Traylor knows the importance of hiring smart/good assistants. He hired as well as he could for UTSA.

3 hours ago, EZ$ said:

As an OC maybe....the guy is only 41 years old and we’d be his first HC gig. I’ll pass. 

Yeah, this doesn't seem like a good place to be a guy's first HC gig.

5 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Who gives a fuck about big name? That right there is the problem with Texas it care more about it’s image any actual substance. Maybe do a through search and interview candidates and pick one with the best fit and plan and the hottest flavor of the month. Lincoln Riley is a perfect example he has been the head coach of OU longer than he was a fucking OC of a P5 team, with in 5 years he went form OC of ECU to head coach of OU.

A lot of the fan base does. Look at the tons of posts on here bemoaning our assistant hires because they came from some dingledorf school and weren’t the big names.

Coach o looked like a genius last year. He looks like a dipshit this year. I agree with you that Its mostly about fit.

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

@Al_4_ISU just curious, how high do you think ISU could/would go on Campbell's salary to try to keep him?

Somewhere just north of $4 million is my guess.  $4.2ish maybe.  We just don't have BMDs the way you guys do.  Wealthy ISU alumni are wealthy because they're tight ass farmers that would view making a big donation to sports as frivolous.

• Like 3

Burton

I continue to be told that Texas is working behind the scenes on a number of possible coaching scenarios, some of which are further along than others. Frankly put, some of those feelers and subsequent conversations have been more well received than others.

However, I expect no major, external movement of any sort until after the various conference championship games. Instead, I expect the normal behind-the-scenes machinations that come with situations like this, and that includes ongoing vetting of potential coaches and assuaging the concern and fears of the existing staff. Please note that just about every major coach Texas would pursue is playing in a conference championship game or in the middle of their NFL season.

In other words, if you woke up this morning hoping for a major revelation from me on the coaching front, I’m sorry to disappoint. I’d say patience is the operative word.

I got the low down on all of the Texas freshman yesterday and how they have been perceived internally.

We’ll go quickly position-by-position.

At QB, Hudson Card came out of the gate strong. He understood the offense, whereas Ja’Quinden Jackson struggled in his first couple of weeks on campus with the nuances of the position.

Card throws crisp passes and makes quick decisions. He is considered the best thrower on the roster, and that includes Sam Ehlinger.

Jackson, on the other hand, has really come on of late. He is starting to look like a real long-term option at QB because he has been a relatively quick study and because he is so talented. Props were given to both Jackson for his effort and attention to detail and QB coach Mike Yurcich for Jackson’s development and consistent approach even when Jackson clearly would not play much this season.

Suffice to say, the existing Texas staff is extremely excited with the freshman QBs.

At running back, Bijan Robinson is the most explosive back on the team and perhaps in the conference. He is also a team-leader type, and that could be very valuable in the long run. When a team’s best players are actually the best teammates, good things tend to happen.

The wide receivers in the 2020 class are a bit of a mixed bag. Troy Omeire literally wowed the coaches in fall camp. As outside receivers for Texas have struggled to get off press coverage this season, Omeire is considered the answer. Coaches don’t expect him to merely be good, they think he is a different breed. Words truly can not express how dominant the coaches think Omeire can be. Sometimes players walk onto the field and they’re just different. That’s Omeire.

Kelvontay Dixon has shown some ability and is still considered a good take for the Horns. Dajon Harrison is a different situation. His decision, following an injury, to opt out really kind of took the coaching staff by surprise and disappointed them. It’s an unnecessary lost year of development for him.

Along the OL, Herb Hand struck gold at center. Jake Majors is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of player. The staff expects Majors to be an eventual team captain and multi-year starter. Likewise, Andrej Karic has already pushed up the depth chart to become a factor. The question is not whether Karic will be a contributor or starter for the Horns over the long term, it’s at what position. Will he be good enough to play left tackle, or is he tailor-made for a right tackle spot?

Unfortunately, just like a prospector sometimes hits gold, he sometimes gets less than rosy results. It’s way too early to write off Logan Parr by any means, but early results are the expectation of that of a late-career starter or solid back-up. And perhaps the worst news is that Jaylon Garth may very well end up being a medical opt out in time. His initial injury was severe and it just isn’t coming around as much as all had hoped. Again, it’s way too early to write offensive linemen off because of the development time they take, but that’s where those two sit currently.

On the defensive front, Alfred Collins has already played in every game and is a known commodity. One coach called him the best young DL talent he’s ever been around. Vernon Broughton is expected to be a terrific interior pass rusher in the long run. His combo of burst and size make him an ideal threat to get after the QB. Sawyer Goram-Welch is considered one of the finds of the class. While he is currently playing DT, he could move over to offense in the off-season and try his hand at either guard or tackle. Coaches really like his motor, toughness and better-than-anticipated athleticism.

At linebacker, Jaylan Ford has stepped into a potential heir apparent as the most talented linebacker on the team. Coaches like his combo of football smarts, size and relative quickness. They also think he’s football tough. Ford will likely end up a multi-year starter for the Horns. Jayden Hullaby and Prince Dorbah are the other two LBs in the class. Dorbah has plus-ability but coaches would like him to show more tenacity and a greater commitment in his desire to develop as a player. Hullaby is different in that regard. He’s considered a blue collar, lunch pail type. He will strike you and he has no problem giving it everything he’s got on every play.

In the secondary, Kitan Crawford, Xavian Alford, and Jerrin Thompson all have the cut of future starters. Coaches are particularly high of late on Crawford and Alford as they have shown signs of growing into their plus-athleticism with more and more practice reps. Thompson is considered a savvy football player. Alford was singled out as a potential captain-type long term. Crawford is the most physically gifted of the group. That leaves Jahdae Barron, who has already seen significant action on special teams. Barron has some work ahead of him to define his role better but he has the requisite talent to be a contributor and possible starter

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/9/2020 at 4:36 PM, Ultimate Failure said:

People who disrespect ISU and others are stupid assholes.  College football is a cooperative enterprise.  It's not just Texas generating revenue out of thin air and magnanimously sharing it.  Without our opponents (a.k.a. business partners) we don't have a program.

Does this include baylor?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I posted this on the Urban Meyer thread but I’ll post it here as well. Expect a CDC vote of confidence today or this weekend. I expect the wording will be carefully crafted. If there weren’t tumbleweeds flowing through this thread right now, watching the reactions would be fun, but oh well. 

If that happens

I M Out GIF by memecandy

Well not really until January and we actually know for sure

Edited by Bevo14

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I know his won’t be popular because everyone hates Tom Herman, but is there anyone who doubts that we’d be in the CCG and probably playing for a spot in the CFB playoff if last January we had doubled Bill Bedenbaugh’s salary to come here from Norman?

You think OC is the problem?

19 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I know his won’t be popular because everyone hates Tom Herman, but is there anyone who doubts that we’d be in the CCG and probably playing for a spot in the CFB playoff if last January we had doubled Bill Bedenbaugh’s salary to come here from Norman?

Or if Ingram doesn't fumble vs TCU or ou? 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I posted this on the Urban Meyer thread but I’ll post it here as well. Expect a CDC vote of confidence today or this weekend. I expect the wording will be carefully crafted. If there weren’t tumbleweeds flowing through this thread right now, watching the reactions would be fun, but oh well. 

Ah, the dreaded vote of confidence.  I take that as likely increasing the chances he's shitcanned. 

I have no confidence, however, that our admin won't completely monkey fuck this whole thing up.  

18 minutes ago, Snacks said:

You think OC is the problem?

Not the OC, but the offense is the problem. They've been horrible in the losses. They got shut down against blowU and Iowa St.

I wish Yurchich would've had an offseason to install his O and fully take over the offense. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So the consensus is Fickell or name em

Who is leading in the name em catagory?

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

In other words he’s our coach until we can convince Mullen or Campbell to take the job. 

24 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Not the OC, but the offense is the problem. They've been horrible in the losses. They got shut down against blowU and Iowa St.

I wish Yurchich would've had an offseason to install his O and fully take over the offense. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So the consensus is Fickell or name em

Who is leading in the name em catagory?

Yurcich could have had 3 off seasons to install but it wouldn’t matter because Herman over stepping the play calling. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

I'm sure it has been discussed plenty but why would Mullen come here?

I have no idea. Honestly, it’s probably a tough sell and if it’s true about Campbell waiting out for ND we better hope the Lions do not hire Kelley. Because after Mullen and Campbell my worry is we start getting into candidates that there is not a coalition around to pay for the buyouts. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I'm sure it has been discussed plenty but why would Mullen come here?

Really the biggest selling point would be the easier path to the playoff.  Maybe recruiting just because it feels like Florida recruiting is such a battlezone compared to Texas - even with top players getting raided by LSU/Alabama/Ohio.

But, yeah, I think there would need to be an issue at/with Florida for Mullen to want to leave.

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

sure, wait until all the decent candidates are hired/extended then take what's left.

Campbell isn’t going to leave before they play their bowl game. If he is your target, you are going to have to wait. If it’s someone in the NFL the wait is even longer potentially. 

2 minutes ago, CockadoodleHorn said:

Time to make a ridiculous offer to Urban Meyer.  Texas can't go with an up and comer or unknown.  Either Urban or we are done.  Need a big name at this time to turn this shit show around.  Coaches leave Texas and start winning at other locations.  We don't have time to jack around on another project.

Did you mean to post this several weeks ago? 

• Haha 1

John Gruden would be funny...or not.

Tennessee got turned down by Shaka Smart, Charlie Strong, and Gruden.  Funny because I can talk shit to my Vol alum wife; not funny because we're already 0-2 in this scenario.

(Note:  you have to understand how much "We're the real UT", "We were first", "We've got a bigger stadium", "We're superior to the fake UT" I got while living there to appreciate how funny it'd be to land their savior, Gruden.)

Edited by Knoxtnhorn