Formula 1 2021

wood

16 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Pretty salty in here today.

804421bddafe9754a1e63ddb569f7f8d.jpg

If anyone's salty, it Merc, winning in utterly dominant fashion after being caught with an illegal car & getting lucky in that it was a sprint weekend, then crying after the race about another driver doing the same shit that Lewis has done to win championships in the past.

52ri1zttxiy71.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

256002081_4514732225288468_3819388698241

47894847-9988637-image-a-80_163160448274

9407187427e6ac3fbc2be74625571a91.jpg

s8gehwu9b0s71.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Lewis-Hamilton-of-Great-Britain.jpg

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm  in favor of turning all of the current runoff areas into magma pits.  That ought to keep the drivers on track.

Yes and drivers should be able to drop banana peels and fire off shells to knock out the competition.  We see Merc already found the yellow star.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

fa3b26ad4290d6b60105901b7ed6e9d7.jpg

Great comeback. You know I'm right, or you'd tell me where I'm wrong instead of just posting cute memes.

If Schumi doesn't retire after 2012 or if Lewis's McLaren contract wasn't up, Lewis is still a 1x WDC right now, watching someone else rack up titles in that car, and you got damn well know it.

Edited by wood

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

No way. It’s not my job to make you change your mind on your own opinion. I do not care what or how you think of anything or anyone.

LOL. OK. Take lewis out of that car, and he's not beating whomever is in it. 

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Lewis is a good driver.  Maybe even top 7 all time.

I would say he's a very good driver, even one of the greats. But he ain't beating that Merc to a championship in any other car on the grid, in any year since 2014, just like some other great drivers in the field can't do.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, wood said:

I would say he's a very good driver, even one of the greats. But he ain't beating that Merc to a championship in any other car on the grid, in any year since 2014, just like some other great drivers in the field can't do.

It's an interesting question, of course.  Other drivers are beating Bottas with at least some regularity.

I agree that if you put Fred or Seb or maybe even DannyRic in Lewis's seat since 2014, and put Lewis in whatever the second best team's car is in during those years, then he's not beating them to the championship.

But if you had Bottas and some other driver the same caliber as him at Merc, and Lewis in whatever the #2 car was in those years?  I don't know...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Don't like it?  Call for better enforcement of the rules.  But, that also means consistent enforcement of the rules, which would apply to Lewis the same as Max, or anyone else.

This is really the crux of the issue.  They need to be much more consistent about what is a penalty and what isn't.  They're all over the place right now.  So it behooves the drivers to push to the limit and see if they can get away with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's an interesting question, of course.  Other drivers are beating Bottas with at least some regularity.

I agree that if you put Fred or Seb or maybe even DannyRic in Lewis's seat since 2014, and put Lewis in whatever the second best team's car is in during those years, then he's not beating them to the championship.

But if you had Bottas and some other driver the same caliber as him at Merc, and Lewis in whatever the #2 car was in those years?  I don't know...

Yeah that's what I'm saying - any other top driver. Lewis is a top driver, like a handful of others. Bottas is nowhere near their level. He's quick. Sometimes. And that's pretty much where it ends for him. Bottas has averaged something like 8 top 2 finishes a season at Merc, ranging from 7 to 11. Rosberg had 15, 14, and 13 in his three years in this PU era. Nico can definitely drive. Bottas was never intended to be a challenge for Lewis, & imho was picked purely because of two things - he wouldn't be a challenge for Lewis after Nico blew his mind in 2016, and because  Toto was his manager.

Edited by wood

22 minutes ago, wood said:

Hate is a strong word, but nah, I don't care for him at all.

I honestly don't see how he has so many fans, other than people like to associate with winning teams. Seems to have manufactured PR personality outside the car, comes across as thin-skinned/whiny when in the car, and just seems like he has to make everything sound like some epic struggle. 

I do agree he is a great driver, but to me his biggest trait seems to be consistency matched with a fantastic car/team. It's like being a huge Tom Brady fan. 

For instance, I can see why some people don't like Max. But I can't really see being a big LH fan other than he wins a lot. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

I honestly don't see how he has so many fans, other than people like to associate with winning teams. Seems to have manufactured PR personality outside the car, comes across as thin-skinned/whiny when in the car, and just seems like he has to make everything sound like some epic struggle. 

I do agree he is a great driver, but to me his biggest trait seems to be consistency matched with a fantastic car/team. It's like being a huge Tom Brady fan. 
For instance, I can see why some people don't like Max. But I can't really see being a big LH fan other than he wins a lot. 

Go watch 2007 and 2008.

59 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Tom Brady has always had to deal with the salary cap and a league obsessed with parity.  That's a big difference between he and Hamilton.

Yep. I know for a fact that Toto has said privately on more than one occasion that "money is no object" and they'd spend "whatever it takes" to win. And that's exactly what they do. They even hired loads of PU engineers away from other teams before 2014, just to keep them from the other teams ... like college football teams used to do before scholly limits. They locked in their advantage in every way imaginable, before this PU era ever kicked off, through influence, lobbying, and sheer resources and money. 

Edited by wood

Just had a podium ceremony in the living room for the kid for earning a medal in great feats of backyard football catching (he's five). Played the national anthem on YouTube, presented an old medal from summer baseball, followed by an imaginary champagne shower and a shoey.  

Damn I love F1.

Yep. I know for a fact that Toto has said privately on more than one occasion that "money is no object" and they'd spend "whatever it takes" to win. And that's exactly what they do. They even hired loads of PU engineers away from other teams before 2014, just to keep them from the other teams ... like college football teams used to do before scholly limits. They locked in their advantage in every way imaginable, before this PU era ever kicked off, through influence, lobbying, and sheer resources and money. 
Cost cap is a good thing, for sure.

And that’s why I love Mercedes. Win at all cost and crush your competition at every level. Throw in Lewis as a great driver and Ferrari and Red Bull couldn’t keep up or beat Merc.
I don’t think Mercedes was going to do much of anything this year and Red Bull caught them off guard.

The numbers relate only to the costs of running the Brackley race team, and include a fixed £13m fee paid to the HPP division for the use of its engines, the same amount paid by other Mercedes PU users.

This quote is from a Motorsport.com article regarding Mercedes’ spending/revenue.  Back to the discussion on the latest PU upgrades being available for the other Merc users, I’m guessing whatever made Lewis go zoom in Brazil wouldn’t be available for all customers if the advances were made by the team and not MB HPP?  I wasn’t sure if there was a separation between factory and team before.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

This is really the crux of the issue.  They need to be much more consistent about what is a penalty and what isn't.  They're all over the place right now.  So it behooves the drivers to push to the limit and see if they can get away with it.

They’re all over the place because the stewards are amateurs who won a popularity contest to be stewards for their home races. 

Hire professional stewards that govern every race and a lot of the inconsistencies go away.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The numbers relate only to the costs of running the Brackley race team, and include a fixed £13m fee paid to the HPP division for the use of its engines, the same amount paid by other Mercedes PU users.

This quote is from a Motorsport.com article regarding Mercedes’ spending/revenue.  Back to the discussion on the latest PU upgrades being available for the other Merc users, I’m guessing whatever made Lewis go zoom in Brazil wouldn’t be available for all customers if the advances were made by the team and not MB HPP?  I wasn’t sure if there was a separation between factory and team before.

Yes, their engine division is in a separate location, in Brixworth.

They started as Ilmor in the 80s and were eventually taken over completely by Daimler.

They do make 100% of the power unit stuff, though. None is done by the car side.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

They’re all over the place because the stewards are amateurs who won a popularity contest to be stewards for their home races. 

Hire professional stewards that govern every race and a lot of the inconsistencies go away.  

Yep. I started a thread about this over on Autosport 6 or 7 years ago - "Steward inconsistency ... Why no traveling stewards". I basically said there should be full-time, trained, traveling stewards just like there are in every other major sports league. F1 stewarding is so bad that that thread never gets far from the first page, and the last post in it was a week ago.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

I've been following f1 for about two days, but that won't prevent me from throwing out opinions. Max is a dick, Lewis is a douche. Mercedes needs solid competition, are they going to be back to dominating in 2022? Give me Checo and Alonso on a competitive team. 

Nailed it. The only thing to add is that, for Toto, what is best in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women.

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I feel like you're a little unclear on when "America" started. And very unclear on when "America" started winning.

Phrasing: insert “The America’s…”

Your comment had nothing to do with “winning” and everything to do with forced labor that you felt obligated to add to a Formula 1 thread.

No CR, I like fast cars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Mercedes tradition since 1939.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I feel like you're a little unclear on when "America" started. And very unclear on when "America" started winning.

I feel like you're a little unclear on when the Mercedes works team completely bailed on F1 for over 5 decades, and when they came back and actually made a commitment to winning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

So can Max hold onto the lead or is this Hamilton’s to lose in his souped up car?

I don't really care who comes out ahead, but I would like to see more than just 1 or 2 laps of wheel to wheel racing.  With Lewis' souped up hotrod, it was too easy for him to pass last week.

• Hook 'Em 2