Formula 1 2021

wood

53 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

We could also mention Bottas taking out both Red Bulls in Hungary. That was a +16 for Hamilton there. So at Silverstone it was +23 for Hamilton. If we wanted to be accurate.

And Baku, assuming Hamilton got fastest lap would be another six points. 

So what exactly did Merc change? From upthread, it sounds like he is using an older engine this week, but was still beating Verstappen like a drum. Just all the sudden in week 19, the race car is just way faster than anyone else.

So what exactly did Merc change? From upthread, it sounds like he is using an older engine this week, but was still beating Verstappen like a drum. Just all the sudden in week 19, the race car is just way faster than anyone else.

Losail is front(tire)-limited, which suits Merc better, and Red Bull worse (Red Bull exceeds in low speed traction zones, which is what would make a circuit rear-limited). Merc does also seem to have a narrower setup window than RB, but clearly they have found something that is working well there now.

So while Merc are doing great, some of it this week was Red Bull falling back a bit.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

This could be one of the variables. They mention that it’s very hard to do and the circuit plays a huge role. If they have been slowly dialing this in it could explain some gains (in addition to new PU). 

^^^ 

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

They finally solved the aero on their car, coupled with newer ICEs (for both power gains and to offset reliability concerns).  

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

FIFY. 

And this, and Baku. 

24 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

And Baku, assuming Hamilton got fastest lap would be another six points. 

But Hamilton scored no points at Baku since he finished, I think, 15th. That's why I left that race out of my remarks.

Both Max & Hamilton did not score points that race.

A +39 swing for Lewis from those other two races is pretty large though

26 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

But Hamilton scored no points at Baku since he finished, I think, 15th. That's why I left that race out of my remarks.

Both Max & Hamilton did not score points that race.

A +39 swing for Lewis from those other two races is pretty large though

Right, but if that race continued without the blow out and then LH brake failure on the restart, even if Hamilton got fastest lap, it would be six more points net for Verstappen.

Just now, Dutch said:

image.png

Lol. I think there should be a penalty in F1 for not talking shit. 

Car #44 issued a 10 place grid penalty for being supportive of his team after they messed up strategy. He also said the fan were amazing, even after they booed him. The proper response should have been to cross his arms and slap them against his legs in a "suck it" motion.

22 hours ago, NoName said:

Imagine "solving aero" with four races left.

I am incredibly doubtful this is the real answer.

"Solving aero" is another term for "found a new way to cheat."

But everybody does it, so... 

Anyway, so happy for Fed, that was awesome AF.

(literally)

I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking at here. 

The entire wing is moving/shaking as he enters and exits Max’s slipstream. To me it seems like some light/reflection appears as the car moves that makes it look like the main plane of the wing (the one in the middle below the open DRS flap) is moving away from the end plate on the left of the video. This doesn’t really make sense, because the accusation by Red Bull before was that the main plane was “scratching against” the end plate.

These lines show that the movement is consistent with the entire thing moving around.

E8413023-36-D5-4452-82-B6-34-F68066-B506.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Lol, just watched part of a stream of Max playing some racing game on Twitch. Dude is in the heat of the championship, was practicing Jeddah and then his buddy texts to play in some online racing competition. 

Sure, why not?

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The entire wing is moving/shaking as he enters and exits Max’s slipstream. To me it seems like some light/reflection appears as the car moves that makes it look like the main plane of the wing (the one in the middle below the open DRS flap) is moving away from the end plate on the left of the video. This doesn’t really make sense, because the accusation by Red Bull before was that the main plane was “scratching against” the end plate.

These lines show that the movement is consistent with the entire thing moving around.

E8413023-36-D5-4452-82-B6-34-F68066-B506.gif

At first I thought it looked like it was pulling away at the end plate as well, but looking at more closely, it looks like that little bit of light just comes into view as the wing lowers slightly. That movement looks like it would be consistent with the scratch marks on the end plate that we saw earlier, imho.

7 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol, just watched part of a stream of Max playing some racing game on Twitch. Dude is in the heat of the championship, was practicing Jeddah and then his buddy texts to play in some online racing competition. 

Sure, why not?

spacer.png

He's pretty got damn relaxed, imho. My kid and I have been talking about it a lot lately. Max drove the wheels off the RBR during that race, & afterward on the in lap, he was just all like "That was fun". He's very loose.