Formula 1 2021

wood

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm not trying to dunk on you man, but if the video you posted is "refusing to acknowledge" then your Max hatred has blinded you. And just 10 minutes earlier was this:

spacer.png

And after the podium, he was interviewed and praised Hamilton. 

Sorry your guy didn't win, but you're just throwing out lies. Just admit you were mistaken. It happens.

Hamilton's not my guy bud, and I stand by what I said.

Edit: And dunk on me? Lol. Alright man. You are good for a chuckle

Edited by G650

4 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

So, Ferrari and Mercedes team up against Red Bull and the FIA race director. That would be good.

Ferrari and Merc don't even have to mention RB.  They just say, "you guys did this wrong and the race is a farce."

Then FiA invalidates the race result and Max is still champion...

So it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Right. They screwed this up with one intent and one outcome in mind. 

I don't even mind that they made up some rules to ensure a competitive finish. No one wants to watch a great season end behind a safety car. 

But red flag it, then. Let everyone change their tires or let nobody change their tires, and give the lead cars more than 8 seconds to process the restart scenarios. I don't know, call me crazy.

Don't blatantly manipulate the field for the sole purpose of putting Max up Lewis's ass.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

One thing I find wild and also heartening after watching the ebbs and flows of F1 for the past 4 decades, is how many people came out of the woodwork for this finale as enthusiastic fans, at least for the moment. Who knows if it will last, but the package Liberty has put together with all the Netflixing and whatnot has done an admirable job of taking advantage of a totally wold season

I don't even mind that they made up some rules to ensure a competitive finish. No one wants to watch a great season end behind a safety car. 
But red flag it, then. Let everyone change their tires or let nobody change their tires, and give the lead cars more than 8 seconds to process the restart scenarios. I don't know, call me crazy.
Don't blatantly manipulate the field for the sole purpose of putting Max up Lewis's ass.

Like Lando said, they need to change the rule so there are no equipment changes during red flags. It’s literally just a pause button.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

One thing I find wild and also heartening after watching the ebbs and flows of F1 for the past 4 decades, is how many people came out of the woodwork for this finale as enthusiastic fans, at least for the moment. Who knows if it will last, but the package Liberty has put together with all the Netflixing and whatnot has done an admirable job of taking advantage of a totally wold season

I hear other sports are courting them to do the same. Golf and maybe others.

It's not RB's fault that Merc didn't pit Hamilton, twice.

It's not anybody's fault (except Latifi) that Latifi crashed.

The FIA didn't conspire to give Hamilton a free lead (unless you are the blindest of all fan boys and don't accept Max's push)

The FIA didn't conspire to give Verstappen a free championship.

But the FIA clearly and unintentionally fucked up by not being clear with the management of the race.  And RB didn't ask for it, but they were ultimately gifted the race by the bunch-up on a 1 lap sprint where they otherwise had a 10 second and 5 car gap.

• Like 1

The FIA didn't conspire to give Hamilton a free lead (unless you are the blindest of all fan boys and don't accept Max's push)
But the FIA clearly and unintentionally fucked up by not being clear with the management of the race.  And RB didn't ask for it, but they were ultimately gifted the race by the bunch-up on a 1 lap sprint where they otherwise had a 10 second and 5 car gap.

I don’t think it was unintentional. I think they got what they wanted given they had roughly 4 laps to decide. Massi said no over taking of the lapped cars. I think he was overruled.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I don't think Merc pits him under either situation. You can argue to pit under VSC but in the end Lewis is still on worn tires where Max gets to pit under SC for fresher softs. Max is fast enough to capitalize on that 9/10 times. 

Under no circumstances, given the regulations, can Merc give up track position to pit Lewis under SC. They made that decision based on the rules of the sport. Those rules weren't followed by the director.

It wasn't a case of "Ooops I made a mistake!". I obviously don't think that was done deliberately to favor RB but Masi artificially manipulated the finish in an illegal way to produce a dramatic "racing" finish. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Wouldn't surprise me to see the FIA/team radio be gone next season. It's very interesting, but also puts them in a bad spot when they play one team's radio asking for an outcome and that's the decision that's made.

I don't think Merc pits him under either situation. You can argue to pit under VSC but in the end Lewis is still on worn tires where Max gets to pit under SC for fresher softs. Max is fast enough to capitalize on that 9/10 times. 
Under no circumstances, given the regulations, can Merc give up track position to pit Lewis under SC. They made that decision based on the rules of the sport. Those rules weren't followed by the director.
It wasn't a case of "Ooops I made a mistake!". I obviously don't think that was done deliberately to favor RB but Masi artificially manipulated the finish in an illegal way to produce a dramatic "racing" finish. 

This.

This text sums up my thoughts in a nice coherent way.

0cba2f7efea9651f8d2cc3585892ab24.png
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Theres gonna be lots of dissection of the regulations and which written words were followed and which werent. 

But wouldnt common sense have you “freeze” the order of the track, and resume the race as close to those conditions as possible, while resolving the exogenous event (whether under yellow or red). 

That just makes wayyy too much sense

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

NASCAR has the same problem that all other American sports has: the events are too long.

Beyond that, it's the TV structure. One reason footy has gotten so popular is you have no commercial breaks and random stoppage. You set aside a fixed block of time, watch the match, then go about your day.

• Hook 'Em 2

Liberty Media is getting demolished on Twitter right now. F1 being described as WWE. Bernie was a bastard, but I don’t think anything this insane happened.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but This was a complete ignoring of the regulations and completely making it up on the fly.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Goofyboy said:

Liberty Media is getting demolished on Twitter right now. F1 being described as WWE. Bernie was a bastard, but I don’t think anything this insane happened.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but This was a complete ignoring of the regulations and completely making it up on the fly.

Completely spoiled a great season and now the lawyers will steal the show instead of the drivers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

I dunno. I'd really have to think about it to be honest. I can't remember anything this flagrant, but it's been a lot of years so who knows. F1 absolutely is entertainment over sport though, always. Currently I'm still of the opinion Masi is just inept at being the man behind the curtain more than anything else.

I’m a rules guy. We can argue about who had what corner and late braking etc - because those are all judgement calls. It happens and it happens in all sport. The penalties are followed based on those judgments.

This was a blatant disregard for the regulations. It would be like a ref moving a ball between the hash marks for a more competitive 50 yard game winner. It has really trashed a fun, argumentative and entertaining season.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I'm getting images of when Michael Scott had to fire Devon on Halloween in the office. 

"I can't go back, I'll look like an idiot."
"That's why I'm being fired? So you might not look like an idiot?"

bac

32 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

All those folks saying Max or Sergio was just going to wreck out Hamilton sure have gone quiet.

And all the predictions of dirty driving Max carelessly diving from behind with no attempt to make the corner still held true...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well, that was nutz. Lots of good racing today even with the lap 1 mess. Checo versus Lewis was fee-nom-in-nal.

But that ending … ugh. Max raced his ass off and took advantage of opportunity in the chaos. The rules were not followed, though. The race director does not have authority to let only 5 cars unlap themselves to allow for a racing finish in the last lap. The result will stand I’m sure but a less than ideal outcome for anyone other than RBR and Max fans. The casual racing fans should love the drama but for those that want a race determined by drivers and not the race director the finish falls far short. Entertainment and drama won the day which is a shame because the racing was excellent.

Gonna be a long offseason and my house will certainly miss racing for the next several months.

• Hook 'Em 2

Upon reflection, the best face saving move by the FIA may be striking the race. They look like fools either with Max winning like this or booting him and putting Lewis in front. If they bin the race, Max still WDC and they are off the hook for fuckery.

Doubt it happens though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3