2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

Ticket prices have dropped substantially since this morning.  Did the Mavs release more tickets today?  

I'm going Friday.  The mask deal is going to be interesting.  They were enforcing it like crazy against the Nets earlier this month, but that was with only a fraction of capacity and a high usher/fan ratio.  It's going to be impossible to enforce with a drunk and mostly-full house.   Would bet it's going to be insane in there.

Edited by AggieFactFinder
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Your best bet is to wait as close to the tip time as possible. If that is something you can do. People will come down on their prices as the time goes on if they have not sold them. 

Yep.  Game 3 of the 2011 Finals, I was driving back to Waco from visiting my parents and stopped at Hooters to grab a beer and take in some of the pre-game circus.  I had like $120 cash in my pocket.  So about 2 minutes into the game, I decide to take a jog.  I put $40 of the cash in my pocket and found the nearest scalper I could find.  Opened my wallet and said "I'll give you $80 for 1 wherever you can get me in."  Got a 3rd level, first row on the corner, and was in my seat with beer in hand with about 2 minutes left in the first.  Just gotta be willing to drive a hard bargain.  

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  Game 3 of the 2011 Finals, I was driving back to Waco from visiting my parents and stopped at Hooters to grab a beer and take in some of the pre-game circus.  I had like $120 cash in my pocket.  So about 2 minutes into the game, I decide to take a jog.  I put $40 of the cash in my pocket and found the nearest scalper I could find.  Opened my wallet and said "I'll give you $80 for 1 wherever you can get me in."  Got a 3rd level, first row on the corner, and was in my seat with beer in hand with about 2 minutes left in the first.  Just gotta be willing to drive a hard bargain.  

Yep that is how I usually did it. Is scalping still a thing with covid restrictions?

15 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Your best bet is to wait as close to the tip time as possible. If that is something you can do. People will come down on their prices as the time goes on if they have not sold them. 

This is right 99.99% of the time.  I had a couple of friends who each had $5k in their pocket and couldn’t find a ticket to buy before the Rose Bowl.  They got in through a much more than $100 handshake deal, but there were not tickets to be had.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

This is right 99.99% of the time.  I had a couple of friends who each had $5k in their pocket and couldn’t find a ticket to buy before the Rose Bowl.  They got in through a much more than $100 handshake deal, but there were not tickets to be had.

Exactly, every once in a while demand actually increases as game gets closer and that was the ultimate example.  And Trey got lucky it appears for Finals game 3 by waiting until game started but pregame there were WAY more buyers than sellers.  My wife and I were down at the AAC with I want to say $700 or $800 cash and couldn't sniff a pair anywhere in the building before tip.  Gave up about 15 mins before it started and went to a bar instead.  Of course, those were also the good old days of scalping.   Considering all tix are electronic I don't know how that works now.  There was always a fraud risk but relying on someone to take cash and transfer tix via an app seems like an added layer of risk.   I miss the good ole days of scalping.  When my wife and I were dating she lived in those apts right by the AAC.  It was so great to just walk down with whatever we were willing to pay and negotiate while being able to honestly say "we live right there and will just go home and watch on TV, take it or leave it".  Ended up with fantastic seats for nothing on the reg at or after tip or puck drop back in those days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

i went to the clips game mar 15 and tix in the upper bowl were more expensive than the cheapest on your link.  ended up in the platinum club for a little less than $200 per.

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

how would that work with all electronic tix?

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I had planned on going to a regular season game in March/April until I looked at prices.  They were just outrageous when only allowing a few thousand fans.  And my buddy with season tix confirmed they opened up more seats to season ticket holders today.  So I fully expect to see market trend down with increased supply.

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i went to the clips game mar 15 and tix in the upper bowl were more expensive than the cheapest on your link.  ended up in the platinum club for a little less than $200 per.

how would that work with all electronic tix?

Not sure.  Probably wouldn’t.   Maybe would.  No idea.  Electronic payment for electronic ticket.   No idea to be honest.   One of the old timey things that I still greatly appreciate.  Hell yeah I had more money on me, and in my checking account, but I was willing to pay $X and walk back to Hooters if not.   There are downsides to a cashless society 

• Hook 'Em 4

57 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

One of the old timey things that I still greatly appreciate.  Hell yeah I had more money on me, and in my checking account, but I was willing to pay $X and walk back to Hooters if not.   There are downsides to a cashless society 

This!  I can't tell you how many times at various sporting events I hid a few extra bills while walking to stadium/arena and pulled the whole "this is literally all the cash I have on me" card with a scalper.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

This!  I can't tell you how many times at various sporting events I hid a few extra bills while walking to stadium/arena and pulled the whole "this is literally all the cash I have on me" card with a scalper.

Or the ol’ “what are the best seats you have?   I’ve got 4 on the first baseline and $80 that I’ll trade for 2 right behind the plate”  or something ordeal.   Got some really good WS tickets in Arlington in 2010 like that.   traded 4 SRO and 2 seats in lower level RF for 4 about 18 rows up behind first base and some nominal amount of cash considerations.    

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Or the ol’ “what are the best seats you have?   I’ve got 4 on the first baseline and $80 that I’ll trade for 2 right behind the plate”  or something ordeal.   Got some really good WS tickets in Arlington in 2010 like that.   traded 4 SRO and 2 seats in lower level RF for 4 about 18 rows up behind first base and some nominal amount of cash considerations.    

Awesome.  Yeah, I did that all through my youth primarily at UT games. I basically would have my mom drop me off a the FEC when I was 14 or so with 20 bucks, have older fan sell or give me tix cheap because I was a kid, flip those to scalpers, and end up sitting in the best single on the market for the game and have my mom pick me up with 50-100 bucks.  Did that for a ton of stuff at the Atlanta olympics as well.  Scalpers seemed to respect the fact that a kid was out there in the game.  Good ole days indeed.  I'm getting the itch to go Friday now so back to actively monitoring ticket market.  Haven't done this for an event in a long time.  Feels good man.   I definitely haven't bought on stubhub since they now added sales tax on top of their fees. Fucking hell I hate not having traditional scalping options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Has there been any update on Reddick? I feel like he could come in very handy in one of these games. 

He’s a useful mammal for sure.  Him breaking out the flamethrower in one game could swing a series.  I just don’t think we’re going to get that at this point.  He hasn’t played much basketball lately.

So after actually getting some sleep and coming off the high of game 2, I'm trying to approach these next couple of games more rationally. I thought Followill had a good point on this segment with the Hardline that the crowd could actually help the Clippers as much as the Mavs because of the "us against the world" mentality. Kind of an angle I hadn't thought about. 

We have also not been a good team at home this season. It leads me to believe the Clips probably steal a close one in game 3 and then whoever takes game 4 wins the series IMO. Cannot go back to LA after letting them take 2 on your home floor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So after actually getting some sleep and coming off the high of game 2, I'm trying to approach these next couple of games more rationally. I thought Followill had a good point on this segment with the Hardline that the crowd could actually help the Clippers as much as the Mavs because of the "us against the world" mentality. Kind of an angle I hadn't thought about. 
We have also not been a good team at home this season. It leads me to believe the Clips probably steal a close one in game 3 and then whoever takes game 4 wins the series IMO. Cannot go back to LA after letting them take 2 on your home floor. 
Reminds me of our series with Houston in 2005. We dropped both home games and went back to Houston with zero momentum and down 0-2. We had a big comeback in game 3 and then won a tough game 4. And that was it. We won our next 2 at home to take it. Not sure if that was the last time a team went down 0-2 at home and still won the series. It's extremely rare.

This needs to be like the Lakers series in 2011 where we came back home and closed them out. I don't want to give LA any life. I think if we can win game 3, those front runners will check out for game 4. We lose game 3, then they know all they need is to win one more before erasing all that momentum we got.

Friday night will be fun.
  • Hook 'Em 3

THJ and Brunson have been the last 2 guests on Redick's pod (THJ pre-playoffs and Brunson seemingly yesterday). Don't think either were especially great, but it's there for your consumption if your wanting any and all Mavs content. I would recommend the first few minutes of the Brunson pod. JJ running through running up debts with a few players was a fun glimpse into NBA life

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, threesheets said:

They're favored? Is that literally Vegas just praying on their dumbass fanbois? I've never heard of anything like that. Bothers me a little, not gonna lie. 

Go to Vegas or your online bookie and put enough cash on the Mavs to pay for some nice seats.  I wouldn’t recommend doing it tomorrow, because I’m not 100% certain exactly how good we are, but I absolutely did it prior to the Rose Bowl.  Took the money line as well.  Paid for the whole trip.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm not really up on refs. Is this good? Bad?

Fitzgerald is the cocksucker that fucked us all night game last year including 2 incredibly weak T's tossing KP.  So yeah, it seems like Silver sent in the hit squad. Fuck em.

• Hook 'Em 2

they need to do what the lakers do to us.  give luka high pressure at the logo and double team him all the time and keep coming with the double teams.  it forces the ball to our guys standing at the 3 point line but they have a much harder time creating on the ball than off the ball if luka was handling it.  

Luka has a bit of a different look to him since he got the 15th T.  He had to behave so he wouldn’t miss a game while we were fighting to avoid the play-in.  I think it’s stuck.  Not saying he’s completely eliminated the whining, but it lessened to a somewhat acceptable level while he was being conscious about it.  We’ll see if it remains that way if things aren’t going well at at some point, but 2 games into the playoffs and I really like his demeanor.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I don't know if you went to a game at the AAC this season, but if tonight is anything like I expect it to be, worrying about our home record in front of 2000 fans seems pointless to me.