Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

On 8/5/2023 at 8:41 PM, MalibuSheriff said:

Spur of the moment cannonball run to the New Mexico high country with the kid…

First order of business was kid’s request  -Black Mesa hike to Oklahoma high point on the trip out.  Beautiful, vast empty mesa country brimming with all types of wildlife.  Hotter than hell and no shade but worth it.  I’d recommend this hike in cool seasons - Very nice Nature Conservancy property at trailhead.

IMG_8823.thumb.jpeg.0b6c39aab4cc09b8f630ccd6c2d164b7.jpeg

IMG_8539.thumb.jpeg.3023f62b77c63af0c8044b5797b2ca15.jpeg

IMG_8493.thumb.jpeg.71156ced03ecebd9fa56ace552b58f25.jpeg

IMG_8550.thumb.jpeg.6adfa66585b21463e182fe77c9034076.jpegIMG_8541.thumb.jpeg.5491397758824dd1ff35608cb5dd1dca.jpeg

On to the destination - High country of the northern New Mexico Sangre de Cristos and lots of Rio Grande cutts.

IMG_8729.thumb.jpeg.4e38fcc414ea142894e8dc4851d02996.jpeg

IMG_8720.thumb.jpeg.a3a39d0771e2781c9437bd23aa315129.jpeg

IMG_8744.thumb.jpeg.51c0a30d94291361e7e2ab7b16d0ddef.jpeg

IMG_8647.thumb.jpeg.7a40a3726c3ebd1bc2eecdfc05061e1e.jpeg

IMG_8643.thumb.jpeg.1c0d523d91eb534d96a697213be237b0.jpeg

IMG_8616.thumb.jpeg.eda74debde827e848a54c9e6538e0aed.jpeg

IMG_8602.thumb.jpeg.128f15d45bc30d754dff36ff5d104e51.jpeg

IMG_8745.thumb.jpeg.a1679ddd4df63d3b06b831568196f4a8.jpeg

The Land of Enchantment still very enchanting.

IMG_8762.thumb.jpeg.6a4075d10bd61ebc94e863a2e934e8c9.jpeg

IMG_8777.thumb.jpeg.fabc697bf58c5454e447f255e804dc2d.jpeg

I know I'll come off as the grumpy asshole (again), but please do not handle trout with dry hands.  It removes the slime layer off their skin that keeps them healthy.  They more easily contract diseases when improperly handled.

Otherwise, you get an A+.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I know I'll come off as the grumpy asshole (again), but please do not handle trout with dry hands.  It removes the slime layer off their skin that keeps them healthy.  They more easily contract diseases when improperly handled.

Otherwise, you get an A+.

No worries.  The photo looks like dry hands but my kid’s hands were wet each time.  I’ve pounded that in him at a young age.  Only had one net, otherwise they would have all been netted in the water but you have to do your best running to an excited kid catching his first cutthroats.

RMac - yes, chile rellenos at Orlando’s for the celebratory dinner.  I’m always a Christmas order but believe I actually prefer their red Chile best.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Share the deets. That looks like it had to be one helluva fight.  We want gear, flies, technique, and a play-by-play breakdown.

Don't skimp on the minutiae, damnit.

Gear: Sage Salt HD 9wt, Tibor Riptide reel. Scientific Anglers Amplitude Grand Slam fly line. Strong Arm Merkin crab fly I tied myself. 

We were sitting off the beach looking for big Tarpon and Permit on the ocean side. There were plenty tarpon, but the jacks were swarming and would steal the fly as soon as it hit the water. The bow of the panga was probably 30' off the beach, and the stern was only maybe 10' off. Guide shouts "palometa! Behind you!" and sure enough, there were two Permit cruising like 5' off the water line in  maybe 18" of water. Put the fly in front of them and the back fish ate. Ran me well into my backing using the back draft from breaking waves to pull itself offshore. Guide got his hands on the leader 3 times and fish went for a run all three times. Finally got it to hand after about 10-15 minutes. 

Fed another much bigger one and it broke the hook on the fly when it ate.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 3

13 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Gear: Sage Salt HD 9wt, Tibor Riptide reel. Scientific Anglers Amplitude Grand Slam fly line. Strong Arm Merkin crab fly I tied myself. 

We were sitting off the beach looking for big Tarpon and Permit on the ocean side. There were plenty tarpon, but the jacks were swarming and would steal the fly as soon as it hit the water. The bow of the panga was probably 30' off the beach, and the stern was only maybe 10' off. Guide shouts "palometa! Behind you!" and sure enough, there were two Permit cruising like 5' off the water line in  maybe 18" of water. Put the fly in front of them and the back fish ate. Ran me well into my backing using the back draft from breaking waves to pull itself offshore. Guide got his hands on the leader 3 times and fish went for a run all three times. Finally got it to hand after about 10-15 minutes. 

Fed another much bigger one and it broke the hook on the fly when it ate.  

if you've notched 1 I'm assuming the googs has 3 to hand? 😗

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I notched 2, thankyouverymuch. Poor goog has been fighting a sinus infection all week. Stayed in and slept all day Thursday. Nothing to show for the week but a few bonefish. 

damn, must have been gnarly to keep him down. poor guy. were there a lot of fish around? who were you fishing with?

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

damn, must have been gnarly to keep him down. poor guy. were there a lot of fish around? who were you fishing with?

Yea, it was bad. He could barely keep his eyes open from the swelling. Fished with Sappo and Chimy (Rafa Jr). We saw fish every day, but the fishing got better later in the week. Tons of big tarpon around. Got 5 eats, put two in the air, but can’t keep them on. Seemed like there were more Permit Oceanside than in the usual spots in the bay. I caught that little one way down the beach past Playa Blanca and the bigger one up the beach toward Tulum. (Almost all the way up to the river, but Oceanside)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yea, it was bad. He could barely keep his eyes open from the swelling. Fished with Sappo and Chimy (Rafa Jr). We saw fish every day, but the fishing got better later in the week. Tons of big tarpon around. Got 5 eats, put two in the air, but can’t keep them on. Seemed like there were more Permit Oceanside than in the usual spots in the bay. I caught that little one way down the beach past Playa Blanca and the bigger one up the beach toward Tulum. (Almost all the way up to the river, but Oceanside)

that's wild

On 8/10/2023 at 9:37 PM, MalibuSheriff said:

No worries.  The photo looks like dry hands but my kid’s hands were wet each time.  I’ve pounded that in him at a young age.  Only had one net, otherwise they would have all been netted in the water but you have to do your best running to an excited kid catching his first cutthroats.

RMac - yes, chile rellenos at Orlando’s for the celebratory dinner.  I’m always a Christmas order but believe I actually prefer their red Chile best.  

Freakin love Orlando’s! Haven’t been in a couple of years, need to correct that!

@fattyflattie @Mac8111 @4th and 5

Yesterday on the boat ride back up to Tulum, we passed a little cottage on the bay side that had a nice dock and palapa. Tied up on the dock was what looked like an absolutely spotless Flats Cat, complete with a jack plate and shaw wing...and a Johnson FICHT outboard. My first thought was "I wonder if that boat got stolen in S Texas and made its way down here, or if this is some old Texan's retirement villa?" My second thought was "How in the blue fuck do you keep a mid-90s FICHT outboard running in rural Mexico??" 

• Haha 1

gonna be in Big Sur Sept 15-18, considering fishing if I can. Big Sur River is permanently closed east of HWY 1 it looks like and open west of HWY 1 (there's quite a bit of river west of HWY 1 in that part) but only open for fishing in the winter/very early spring.  Little Sur River appears open May to October, so that would likely be my my spot. Though it looks like the steelhead trout (very few of them anymore) spawn in the fall at mouth of the Little Sur River, so I may need to avoid that.

found this article: https://trickyfish.net/is-there-trout-fishing-in-big-sur/

emailed this shop: https://www.centralcoastflyfishing.com

we’ll see what comes back. 

Edited by troph
Edit links added

39 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

@fattyflattie @Mac8111 @4th and 5

Yesterday on the boat ride back up to Tulum, we passed a little cottage on the bay side that had a nice dock and palapa. Tied up on the dock was what looked like an absolutely spotless Flats Cat, complete with a jack plate and shaw wing...and a Johnson FICHT outboard. My first thought was "I wonder if that boat got stolen in S Texas and made its way down here, or if this is some old Texan's retirement villa?" My second thought was "How in the blue fuck do you keep a mid-90s FICHT outboard running in rural Mexico??" 

Having owned a Flatscat for a brief period, miss me with that too. But yeah, indexing spark plugs.  Pass. Even worse was the previous Gen to the FICHT were money, I know a bunch of guys that still run them.  Another 7.3 to 6.0 deal.  

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Having owned a Flatscat for a brief period, miss me with that too. But yeah, indexing spark plugs.  Pass. Even worse was the previous Gen to the FICHT were money, I know a bunch of guys that still run them.  Another 7.3 to 6.0 deal.  

dude has maybe the only boat in Mexico that rides worse than a Panga. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

dude has maybe the only boat in Mexico that rides worse than a Panga. 

You’ll see an RFL show up at some point and take the cake I’m sure.  But yeah, that was a short ownership for me and went straight to a 23’ pad V.  Do I miss being able to run on dew, yes.  Do my teeth, spine, and patience miss it? Not at all.   

also, I need to start fishing Mexico. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You’ll see an RFL show up at some point and take the cake I’m sure.  But yeah, that was a short ownership for me and went straight to a 23’ pad V.  Do I miss being able to run on dew, yes.  Do my teeth, spine, and patience miss it? Not at all.   

also, I need to start fishing Mexico. 

great winter snook fishing

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

great winter snook fishing

I lived in Cd de Carmen for a couple of years.  And just never took advantage between work and drinking too much. Any long time off I had I tried to get home because I had a newborn - 2 yo.  Was pretty much the opposite of the immigrants here, I was sending every (extra) dollar home.  And the group I was with was much more interested in chasing other sorts of game…

Finally said fuck the wind and gave it a shot this evening.  Looks like this girl was a slash and burn victim.  The bite wasn’t normal and neither was the fight.   Hopefully she’ll still be okay after the grill.  Are you midcoasters dealing with these insane low tides?  Its like its post front February here in Galveston.

IMG_1542.jpeg

IMG_1543.jpeg

IMG_1546.jpeg

IMG_1549.jpeg

IMG_1550.jpeg

IMG_1552.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Some interesting data in a CCA email  I saw this morning regarding trout populations after the February 2021 freeze, and how they've recovered since.

CCATexas-TroutArticle-081423-3.jpg?resiz

An interesting nugget from the article said that, based on data from previous freezes, it takes 3 full years for the trout population to recover from a major die-off, but even longer for the size and age distributions of those fish to get back within historical averages.

So, if you're like me and fishing has been fairly slow the last few years, and you tend to catch a lot of undersized young-uns when they are biting, there ya go.

21 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Some interesting data in a CCA email  I saw this morning regarding trout populations after the February 2021 freeze, and how they've recovered since.

CCATexas-TroutArticle-081423-3.jpg?resiz

An interesting nugget from the article said that, based on data from previous freezes, it takes 3 full years for the trout population to recover from a major die-off, but even longer for the size and age distributions of those fish to get back within historical averages.

So, if you're like me and fishing has been fairly slow the last few years, and you tend to catch a lot of undersized young-uns when they are biting, there ya go.

Now overlay the same data for shrimp, crabs, and mullet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Went up to Montana in late July. Hit up Yellowstone Nat Park.
Then me and my boy fished on the Missouri River near Cascade, MT.
Both our 1st time fly fishing.
Caught a ton of rainbows, browns and cut throats. The scenery was spectacular. 3a4110e111121004a2eda906518bdc63.jpg
d017b33d536e5d1c79e6bb3985b88685.jpg
49a705f3932b86af8ead8e666ed48031.jpg
42f3f98d705a5c3280fe3df567db0433.jpg

Hard to beat MT! Big Hole River near Divide MT a few days ago….

983BA81D-EE8F-4BF5-AFC9-1A4273EA842A.thumb.jpeg.1cec06fff57d1492e61452a71fd0acf0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1