Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

We were on our way at the gas station and my wife thought it was too cold and windy. And she definitely didn’t want any rain. To her credit she said she was willing but I didn’t want to risk having her out there miserable so we came home. Proved to be a mistake, I was pretty sure it was going to be great.
I have fished the guad and had epic days when it's raining, blowing it's ass off, and even when a guide called questioning to cancel- that was my personal best day on that river. Use discretion, of course, but the fish do not care about your comfort. No offense. Jay Watkins preached that fishing winward shores in high wind- fish eat; they dont care about our comfort or cast angle.

Plus, we all have access to great technical gear to stay comfortable.

All that said, my wife chooses days and stays back and reads books when suboptimal conditions prevail, or just chills and enjoys nature.

Poc report. Windy as fuck out of the east. Took some local friends that needed fish for an annual fish fry with their boat in the shop currently.

Limits of trout, kept 5 reds. They were mad when I released 5 trout on the first wade, paid them back on the last spot when I found a school pinned up against a shore near Conti and strung up enough for the fish fry. 10 in a row.

Most on topwaters, aggressive bite. Released a 24, 26, and a 27. Kept mostly males. Small Trout everywhere. Waist deep or shallower. Waded a million miles to make it happen tho. Not like the old days.

Trout are slowly recovering.
I won't keep anymore for a while. Everyone else will...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Born to Run said:

I have fished the guad and had epic days when it's raining, blowing it's ass off, and even when a guide called questioning to cancel- that was my personal best day on that river. Use discretion, of course, but the fish do not care about your comfort. No offense. Jay Watkins preached that fishing winward shores in high wind- fish eat; they dont care about our comfort or cast angle.

Plus, we all have access to great technical gear to stay comfortable.

All that said, my wife chooses days and stays back and reads books when suboptimal conditions prevail, or just chills and enjoys nature.

I had no issue continuing on - conditions are temporary and frankly overcast and cold is better - the osprey can’t see, but with a kayak you need two vehicles. I almost went alone. But it was thanksgiving and I figured it would be bad form to separate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Guad Report. Fished Friday. Caught a few nymphing very early then it got very slow. Only saw a couple holdover fish I kinda know the rest of the day. Very slow. No idea where the new stockers are. Buddy broke off a big fish that he was not ready to tangle with. Gear sucked, sticky drag etc.

After 9 am saw no one catching and only saw maybe 5 fish until quitting at 3. Those fish missed a streamer or, with a nice one, had a streamer yanked away when I strip striked Before it ate.

Moderate traffic. Amount of floating Cypress leaves is annoying as fuck. Nobody was catching much. My slowest day to date.

Heard a theory that new stockers cause a spawn and they stop feeding.

Second and final TU stock is Friday if anyone wants to help. Please avoid fishing until Sunday so they can recuperate.

Otherwise, no fish on that river, it's terrible, stay home!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

except for the attempted thanksgiving or christmas trip there, we generally wait until jan and feb. seems like most get their game on around the stocking times but the fishing gets a lot better imo 4-8 weeks after. it also slows down, not a ton but enough. this year I'm taking my boys twice (I'll kayak maybe). then taking colleagues who I'm trying to hook into the hobby. doubt it will be successful but they enjoy it when they are out there.

• Like 1

except for the attempted thanksgiving or christmas trip there, we generally wait until jan and feb. seems like most get their game on around the stocking times but the fishing gets a lot better imo 4-8 weeks after. it also slows down, not a ton but enough. this year I'm taking my boys twice (I'll kayak maybe). then taking colleagues who I'm trying to hook into the hobby. doubt it will be successful but they enjoy it when they are out there.
That's what I understand as well. I may go again before Jan and throw streamers only, there are always bass to be had anyway.
It's a fun puzzle to try and cipher and you can't really lose...

That's what I understand as well. I may go again before Jan and throw streamers only, there are always bass to be had anyway.
It's a fun puzzle to try and cipher and you can't really lose...

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty broad question. But, what’s a good way to learn how to fish lake LBJ.  
my best guess is hire a guide a few times and take it from there but anyone know of other resources/forums/websites?

Some background, I grew up fishing Galveston bay so familiar with fishing.  Buy, have never fished fresh water so I don’t know the first thing about it. 

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

In Costa Rica. Tamarindo area.  Anyone have any charter recs?   Our family of 22 are here.  8 of us want to go offshore.  Would appreciate any intel.  Thanks.  @justhookit might know so I am tagging him.  Here until 23rd.  

We were there in August.  Went out of Tamarindo.  Booked via CR Fishing Charters.  He's essentially a broker and coordinates with local captains, so lots of options.  Honest guys, easy to communicate with.  Everything went very smoothly.  We fished on Fish Tale II.  44' Hatteras.  Good captain and crew.  Seas were very rough the day we went out, but we raised 4 sails.  My kids loved it.  Great experience.  

https://www.crfishingcharters.com/

3 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

In Costa Rica. Tamarindo area.  Anyone have any charter recs?   Our family of 22 are here.  8 of us want to go offshore.  Would appreciate any intel.  Thanks.  @justhookit might know so I am tagging him.  Here until 23rd.  

Fishing up there is not as good as it is further south but there are a few decent boats. The boat is really not big enough for 8 people but if it was me I’d fish with https://gamefisher2.com

i know the owner of the Fish Tale II that Spaulding mentioned. I think they are down in Quepos now.

11 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Fishing up there is not as good as it is further south but there are a few decent boats. The boat is really not big enough for 8 people but if it was me I’d fish with https://gamefisher2.com

i know the owner of the Fish Tale II that Spaulding mentioned. I think they are down in Quepos now.

Just had two cancel.  So will be 6.  We are moving south to a house on JW Marriott property tomorrow.  It’s only a few miles as the crow flies but a 30 minute drive around

Pretty broad question. But, what’s a good way to learn how to fish lake LBJ.  
my best guess is hire a guide a few times and take it from there but anyone know of other resources/forums/websites?

Some background, I grew up fishing Galveston bay so familiar with fishing.  Buy, have never fished fresh water so I don’t know the first thing about it. 

Never been on the lake but I would fish structure, ie boat docks alternating between lures until I found a pattern or developed confidence in one lure/color for those water conditions. That’s for LMB, white bass/hybrids etc I would try to find schools of shad in deeper water with electronics.

On 12/17/2023 at 9:27 AM, Frank Drebin said:

Just had two cancel.  So will be 6.  We are moving south to a house on JW Marriott property tomorrow.  It’s only a few miles as the crow flies but a 30 minute drive around

If you are still looking check out El Jefe.  They are booked up but might give you a reputable recommendation 

Okay.....for a short local fishing trip maybe in January or February in Centex....anyone have any suggestions?

Don't have the window for a trip down to the coast, so would need to do something local.  Fishing is one of the few things my adult daughter and I can bond over these days, so I'm really thinking that I'd like to book a trip.  It doesn't have to be fancy or high-end.  Shit, catching a bunch of crappie, or some stripers or whites, would be just fine.  Just getting out on the water and fishing together is the goal.  Any recs on what to do, where to go, guides to hire?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay.....for a short local fishing trip maybe in January or February in Centex....anyone have any suggestions?

Don't have the window for a trip down to the coast, so would need to do something local.  Fishing is one of the few things my adult daughter and I can bond over these days, so I'm really thinking that I'd like to book a trip.  It doesn't have to be fancy or high-end.  Shit, catching a bunch of crappie, or some stripers or whites, would be just fine.  Just getting out on the water and fishing together is the goal.  Any recs on what to do, where to go, guides to hire?

Ken Milam has been guiding Striper trips on Lake Buchanan forever.

@Brisketexan if you want to fly fish I highly recommend the guad. If it’s been a while it’s a great refresher and you’ll catch 8-10 unless you just hit the worst luck. It’s a nice float not fully remote but enough. It’s not like Colorado trout fishing but that’s why I say if it’s been a while. It will certainly scratch the trout itch. Trips are filing up fast though weekends I bet are near full but weekdays are going to be a lot better anyway. That river fishes until March. 

my boys love it, and my guide is super patient and a great teacher. If your daughter has fly fished she will excel and if she hasn’t no better time to learn.  the other benefit is you are on the river for a half, three-quarters or full day, there is no "limit" and go back. You fish the whole time, 100% catch and release so if you can catch 24 between you two then game on.  If you want a keeper for dinner not the best option. We never keep those fish.

I highly recommend it. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fayette county reservoir is a power plant lake and the spawn happens early. Jan has good prespawn action on the big girls

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Daughter: “get up. We’re going fishing.”
Me: “it’s 40 degrees.”
Her: “tough shit, wear layers. I’m going back to Chicago on Saturday so boo hoo”

Slayed the trout and flounder. Most 23 yr old daughters don’t boss their dads around like that, but I’m happy to let it slide.

Sounds like a good one. Was she adopted? 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 1:44 PM, BearSchlong said:

Daughter: “get up. We’re going fishing.”
Me: “it’s 40 degrees.”
Her: “tough shit, wear layers. I’m going back to Chicago on Saturday so boo hoo”

Slayed the trout and flounder. Most 23 yr old daughters don’t boss their dads around like that, but I’m happy to let it slide.

If I was single… 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 3:26 PM, troph said:

@Brisketexan if you want to fly fish I highly recommend the guad. If it’s been a while it’s a great refresher and you’ll catch 8-10 unless you just hit the worst luck. It’s a nice float not fully remote but enough. It’s not like Colorado trout fishing but that’s why I say if it’s been a while. It will certainly scratch the trout itch. Trips are filing up fast though weekends I bet are near full but weekdays are going to be a lot better anyway. That river fishes until March. 

my boys love it, and my guide is super patient and a great teacher. If your daughter has fly fished she will excel and if she hasn’t no better time to learn.  the other benefit is you are on the river for a half, three-quarters or full day, there is no "limit" and go back. You fish the whole time, 100% catch and release so if you can catch 24 between you two then game on.  If you want a keeper for dinner not the best option. We never keep those fish.

I highly recommend it. 

When I lived in Austin, I used to love going out to the Llano for winter trout stocking.  Looks like Castell was stocked in early December but Grenwelge Park in downtown Llano is set to be stocked in early February.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_stocking.phtml

After the first few days, people forget about them being there and I used to love fishing below the bridge and in the different channels.  All you need as some nymphs and strike indicator.  Used to have some fabulous days and if the weather was warmer, you’d get some Guadalupes and sunfish too.  Some great memories there and Cooper’s for lunch…damn do I miss Cooper’s.

IMG_5753.thumb.jpeg.9576e46633c44d45864dc7bfbd39a659.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

When I lived in Austin, I used to love going out to the Llano for winter trout stocking.  Looks like Castell was stocked in early December but Grenwelge Park in downtown Llano is set to be stocked in early February.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_stocking.phtml

After the first few days, people forget about them being there and I used to love fishing below the bridge and in the different channels.  All you need as some nymphs and strike indicator.  Used to have some fabulous days and if the weather was warmer, you’d get some Guadalupes and sunfish too.  Some great memories there and Cooper’s for lunch…damn do I miss Cooper’s.

IMG_5753.thumb.jpeg.9576e46633c44d45864dc7bfbd39a659.jpeg

TPWD says “Castell downstream” is that immediately below the low water crossing? We might do that tomorrow. Not feeling the crowd on the guad or the ordeal of the kayaks. 

I’m guessing a moderate size fish 10-12 inches ? So a 3 wt would be fun.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

TPWD says “Castell downstream” is that immediately below the low water crossing? We might do that tomorrow. Not feeling the crowd on the guad or the ordeal of the kayaks. 

I’m guessing a moderate size fish 10-12 inches ? So a 3 wt would be fun.

I’m a little confused by that as well.  TPWD used to stock Castell, CR103, and CR102.  I used to fish 102, as that was the least crowded.  

Yes, most fish are 10-12” but there used to be occasionally 16” fish.  On warm, sunny days you’ll also catch bass, sunfish, and on rare instances catfish.  I large channel cat on a 3 weight is a lot of fun.

Some pics from a few years ago:

IMG_7673.thumb.jpeg.3c0ff1d0e733057ff7e2ae14e56c708e.jpeg

IMG_7652.thumb.jpeg.9edc4eee5f77489f617be9b137dfc1d3.jpeg

IMG_7644.thumb.jpeg.a7521f10acbccdec2ebc2e86ce56b631.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

I think I’m gonna fish below the crossing at Castell then move to 103 if it’s not working. High in the low 60s should be an easy afternoon. 

I’ve fished spring and fall there sun fish, guad bass, etc. 5 wt was always too much. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, troph said:

I think I’m gonna fish below the crossing at Castell then move to 103 if it’s not working. High in the low 60s should be an easy afternoon. 

I’ve fished spring and fall there sun fish, guad bass, etc. 5 wt was always too much. 

Schitts Creek Please GIF by CBC

38 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Schitts Creek Please GIF by CBC

show up and stalk and scare the two women and their dog walking along the river bank by saying "hey, don't we know each other from the internet?", then I will know it's you. 

seriously I actually think it's about time we start talking a rockport party house, some surly redfish fly tournaments (I can probably wrangle at least 3 boats with guides), bring your pretty wives so I can hit on them when they drink too much wine, imma asked for new content. that's my idea.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, troph said:

show up and stalk and scare the two women and their dog walking along the river bank by saying "hey, don't we know each other from the internet?", then I will know it's you. 

seriously I actually think it's about time we start talking a rockport party house, some surly redfish fly tournaments (I can probably wrangle at least 3 boats with guides), bring your pretty wives so I can hit on them when they drink too much wine, imma asked for new content. that's my idea.

I always figured a "Real Housewives of Rockport" would involve more bar fights and stolen catalytic converters, but this might work, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I always figured a "Real Housewives of Rockport" would involve more bar fights and stolen catalytic converters, but this might work, too. 

That depends, are we doing Charlotte Plummers or watching the belt sander races?  

I saw no signs of any kind of fish. Fished the low water crossing below Castell, and fished above the crossing on CR 103. Nada. It was windy too, real windy, not ideal for a nymph rig. No issue with an 8 wt and a larger streamer for reds but delicate midges and indicators and split shot and tippet knots… in 10-15+ mph winds…

aint nobody got time for that GIF

I moved to a streamer and nada. So I put it all up and walked around, water was clear for at least 2 feet so I just looked for them. I didn’t see any where trout should be. 

but it was great to see the Llano singing, it looked really healthy and was not under stress at all. Great movement and depth (I had my nymph set up at about 3 feet).

coopers was a nice bonus. Jax loved the mud.

water conditions:

IMG_4139.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

The Llano is a special place.  It was my personal favorite place to relax in my 14 years in Austin.  Coopers BBQ and beans were the topper.

Sounds like TPWD only stocked Castell crossing and they’ve been cleaned out by now.  I’d definitely try back after Feb 4th in downtown Llano.  The first pool you encounter from walking down from the parking area always held fish, as did the channels above the pool under the bridge.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

The Llano is a special place.  It was my personal favorite place to relax in my 14 years in Austin.  Coopers BBQ and beans were the topper.

Sounds like TPWD only stocked Castell crossing and they’ve been cleaned out by now.  I’d definitely try back after Feb 4th in downtown Llano.  The first pool you encounter from walking down from the parking area always held fish, as did the channels above the pool under the bridge.

we had to charge our car and the tesla super chargers are right by that bridge. we walked down and scoped it out.  I didn't have my phone but the flow was nice and it was totally fishable for trout once they are stocked there.

• Like 1