Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

25 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

Doesn't Lsu have 5 or 6 DB recruits already? 

Yeah, 3 safeties and 4 CB. Some of those guys might be processed for Mack, though. Mack would immediately be the 2nd highest rated player in their class per on3. But I get your point. Not saying we don’t have a great shot, it looks like we do. Just saying I’m not sure we should be sucking our dicks just yet. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

Big fucking weekend obviously. Would love to see  Kobe Black and Bridges drop the hammer, and I’d love to see public statements on/from McKinley that we are a real contender. Other than that, I’d like to see some similar movement on Bussey. Get that fucker off the Aggie perch. It also seems like Gibson might actually drop the hammer too after Clark and the crystal balls. 

What are some of y’all looking for? 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, SamMan said:

Same thing on Bobby’s livestreams. There is so much stupid that shows up over there & their moronic ass questions/comments have to be read because they are superchats. It’s substantive conversation followed by five different incantations of:

-“Gerry, how many guys will be drafted next year?” (Literally asked at least twice in every stream for over a month)

-“Bobby, why does Bo Davis suck at recruiting?”

Followed by

“Well, why haven’t they offered every four or five-star defensive lineman in the country?”

-“Gerry, do you think Sark should let Arch start vs ISU to keep him from transferring?”

And then Ian Boyd finds a way to Rube Goldberg DJ Campbell into Texas’ next great nose tackle—intimating that the reason he didn’t win a starting job on the offensive line in his first year is because he doesn’t have the mental aptitude for it and therefore he should switch to defense. That is literally something he mused on air. Gerry rhetorically bitchslapped him for it.

15 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It it the same thing in the Clark commitment thread. Even though Gerry has explictily said mulitple times Texas is taking 2 backs this cycle, the comments are.

"Are we taking 2 backs?"

"How is this going to affect Gibson?"

I don't think reading comprehension and retention is a real thing on that board.

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I was reading the Modden decommit responses on IT through my dad’s account earlier. Even though Gerry has been saying the same stuff there that I’ve been saying over here for months, most of the responses are handwringing about the 2024 recruiting class and worrying about “losing” Modden. The subscriber boards - man. 

Best of luck to Modden. I hope he can get more help and fix himself and have a good life. 

the worst part of being a texas fan is other texas fans. with the exception of this sub-forum.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Big fucking weekend obviously. Would love to see  Kobe Black and Bridges drop the hammer, and I’d love to see public statements on/from McKinley that we are a real contender. Other than that, I’d like to see some similar movement on Bussey. Get that fucker off the Aggie perch. It also seems like Gibson might actually drop the hammer too after Clark and the crystal balls. 

Any combinations of the DB's visiting this weekend would be outstanding. GiPson is another one who could drop the hammer this weekend as well. Gerry has states it's his birthday weekend so if he wanted to do something big and memorable on his birthday that would be it. Gerry also stated that Gipson, Black, and Johnson-Rubell are all close friends. Could we take 6 DB's this class if it is assumed Mack is a numbers buster?

• Hook 'Em 2

Outlook for the class by position

QB - good

RB- looking real good

WR - 2 guys soon to be in, shoot for Wingo and then go portal shopping

OL - can we get one of the out of state tackles?  rest looks good

TE - after JW do we hope for a late bloomer?  I want a freak here to take the offense to 11

DT - lots of good options

DE - we'll find out in 3 years

LB - let's wait and poach a guy from Utah's class in December again

DB - looking real good

7 minutes ago, Yesh said:

WR - 2 guys soon to be in, shoot for Wingo and then go portal shopping

Dubose is in and Livingston appears to be the next guy. 

Bussey/Hampton/Wingo seem to be the WR guys remaining for the last few spots. Hampton being more an ATH and will see where he fits in if he decides to choose us on his next commitment or if he sticks if we are that choice.

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Any combinations of the DB's visiting this weekend would be outstanding. GiPson is another one who could drop the hammer this weekend as well. Gerry has states it's his birthday weekend so if he wanted to do something big and memorable on his birthday that would be it. Gerry also stated that Gipson, Black, and Johnson-Rubell are all close friends. Could we take 6 DB's this class if it is assumed Mack is a numbers buster?

To add a slight but important correction Gerry said this regarding Gipson and Johnson-Rubell, "Jordon Johnson-Rubell I believe Texas has a big lead for. But he's originally from FW Brewer so he's a Texas kid from DFW area. He'll be making his official visit obviously and he's best friends with Corian Gipson from Lancaster, they both grew up in FW together, their moms are very close."

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The dream is Texas gets a commit from one of the lottery tickets. Someone like Mack or McKinley to go along with Black or Gipson. That would get the momentum going and recruits thinking they need to jump in before spots are gone. Outside of that I want to see 2 DL commit. I would like a foundation set there, because these are all going to be competitive recruitments. I should add Gipson and Calhoun commit together (they do all their OVs together, I man can hope)

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not to be a "harrumph harrumph I don't get excited about skill players because I'm a real football knower" guy, but I'm ready to see some large humans jump on board. 

The potential for a monster weekend DB haul and locking in RB is very nice as well.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry on their show last night said read some tea leaves about Nate Kibble moving ups his timeline and Kibble is the one who reached out to set up his OV this weekend. 

Looks like he is the FOMO OL guy this year.

I want to believe on McKinley, but I'm from Missouri until he says something about us being #1 publicly. He's from LA, and we just don't go in and get 5 stars from there with any kind of regularity, much less at a position like DT. And before anyone says "Derek Williams" to me, that was a fucking street fight all the way down to the wire and it took significant fucking resources to get him here, and to keep him on campus. Fuck, to keep our whole roster intact. 

I very much X-Files Want To Believe on this, but until I see anything public that really seems strong, I have a hard time thinking we're bulling massive blue-chips out of LA in back to back classes. Granted, I'll admit to not being the most up to date on the McKinley recruitment. I'll tell you, though, having that kid commit this weekend would probably turn the head of Collin Simmons. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I want to believe on McKinley, but I'm from Missouri until he says something about us being #1 publicly. He's from LA, and we just don't go in and get 5 stars from there with any kind of regularity, much less at a position like DT. And before anyone says "Derek Williams" to me, that was a fucking street fight all the way down to the wire and it took significant fucking resources to get him here, and to keep him on campus. Fuck, to keep our whole roster intact. 

I very much X-Files Want To Believe on this, but until I see anything public that really seems strong, I have a hard time thinking we're bulling massive blue-chips out of LA in back to back classes. Granted, I'll admit to not being the most up to date on the McKinley recruitment. I'll tell you, though, having that kid commit this weekend would probably turn the head of Collin Simmons. 

You’re probably right but the significant difference now is NIL. You can’t look at everything that happened in Louisiana before NIL through the same lens as before. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I know it is happens, but I will never look at a La.  kid and think Texas has a legitimate shot.  Easier to just get excited when Texas hits on those 20-1 odds. 

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You’re probably right but the significant difference now is NIL. You can’t look at everything that happened in Louisiana before NIL through the same lens as before. 

I know, but the pressure to stay in state on families still exists, and is still a real thing. And while I'm not entirely up to date on our NIL details, I'm not sure we've fundraised to close on as many elite guys as we did last year. I don't know, and we'll see. Like I said, I want to believe. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I know it is happens, but I will never look at a La.  kid and think Texas has a legitimate shot.  Easier to just get excited when Texas hits on those 20-1 odds. 

I'm not this much of an Eeyore. We've got plenty of LA kids over the last 15 years. That being said, this kid is a 5 star blue chip, and we just got a super high 4 star blue chip last class. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I know, but the pressure to stay in state on families still exists, and is still a real thing. And while I'm not entirely up to date on our NIL details, I'm not sure we've fundraised to close on as many elite guys as we did last year. I don't know, and we'll see. Like I said, I want to believe. 

I'm not this much of an Eeyore. We've got plenty of LA kids over the last 15 years. That being said, this kid is a 5 star blue chip, and we just got a super high 4 star blue chip last class. 

Maybe this is wish-casting, but similarly to BlowU, I think LSU is in real danger of disappearing a-la Nebraska because of NIL.  

*edit - Not overnight, but over a period of 5-10 years.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Gerry was saying that Calhoun would be the most impressive pull for Sark, if they pulled it off. 

3 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Maybe this is wish-casting, but similarly to BlowU, I think LSU is in real danger of disappearing a-la Nebraska because of NIL.  

This is definitely wish-casting. Nebraska lost the partial qualifiers for their roster where they stashed talent, and they're a state with a tiny population.

Louisiana is also the only major university in their state, except their state is talent rich, and there's real pride in going to LSU. They've paid players for decades, they'll continue to have money to pay some players. I don't see them going anywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Gerry was saying that Calhoun would be the most impressive pull for Sark, if they pulled it off. 

Not sure what the basis is there, but in this mornings humidor Gerry has his shot at landing Calhoun at 49%, while McKinley is 35%. 

I'm guessing Gerry made that statement before McKinley appeared as an option he took seriously? I don't know. Maybe he's referring to the specific dynamics in play for Calhoun and where he lives, legacy, etc. But McKinley is legitimately ranked higher than Calhoun. Additionally, rank isn't the same think as the more difficult job to land a recruit. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure what the basis is there, but in this mornings humidor Gerry has his shot at landing Calhoun at 49%, while McKinley is 35%. 

I'm guessing Gerry made that statement before McKinley appeared as an option he took seriously? I don't know. Maybe he's referring to the specific dynamics in play for Calhoun and where he lives, legacy, etc. But McKinley is legitimately ranked higher than Calhoun. Additionally, rank isn't the same think as the more difficult job to land a recruit. 

Basis was that he is a Georgi kid. His dad played at Bama. Georgia is on top of the world. Texas has never taken a kid from Atlanta from the likes of Bama, Tenn, and Georgia. 

18 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Simmons is a pure NIL recruitment and they lead big. I bet they have plenty of O&G money in their fanbase that will do what needs to be done.

31 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Basis was that he is a Georgi kid. His dad played at Bama. Georgia is on top of the world. Texas has never taken a kid from Atlanta from the likes of Bama, Tenn, and Georgia. 

28 minutes ago, OB3 said:

What codaxx said^^

I mean I referenced that with my “kid’s situation” comment.  I don’t know what pointing out Calhoun being “tougher” had to do with my thoughts on McKinley. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls