Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Or maybe I’m looking at it from the wrong direction, but the general sense is that ou and auburn raised and we chose not to call for those players. 

We weren't dramatically overpaying on NIL for what we thought they were worth is what is being communicated. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Apologies for starting this and then abandoning you to take up the torch. I haven't had time to read through all the no doubt erudite back and forth over the last few pages, but to be clear the bolded is all I intended with my original post (and I was not intending to capture Edge players). If someone wants to argue that doesn't equate to "borderline dumpster fire", fine, choose a different descriptor. I think the results are overall not great - regardless of the reason - and I hope it improves or I believe we'll have an average at best interior defensive line in 2024/2025. As you say the coaches obviously recognize the dearth of talent and are doing what they can to address it. And for fuck's sake I hope Sidney finds his Ritalin before he reads this post.  

I mean, Ritalin is for ADD and I feel like I’ve been perfectly focused for this debacle without any medication, fellas. But I’m fine, just trying to square how you’ll call a position group a “borderline dumpster fire” and then a couple hours later talk about “not wanting to trash our kids” by critiquing them in any way. Seems like that horse left the barn, cowboy. 

37 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He’s talking about his colonic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Eric Nahlin: Two down, two to go for Texas defensive line recruiting after Melvin Hills commits

Wednesday’s commitment of Melvin Hills from Lafayette (La.) Christian Academy puts the Texas defensive line class at two after Duncanville (Texas) nose tackle Alex January committed on July 1st. The duo are complementary parts, as January is an athletic space-eater while Hills profiles to 3-tech or 4i. Meaning, they’re going to play a lot of football alongside each other. Texas’ D-line class is now halfway home, unless a numbers-buster presents itself later on in the cycle. While they’re halfway to four, the second half may prove a little more difficult to close out than the first.

On Thursday, IMG’s Jayden Jackson is set to announce between Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. Current sentiment is leaning in OU’s favor (slightly over OSU), in part because Jackson’s teammate, five-star David Stone, is a heavy Sooner lean, but also because he’s a major need for OU, even more so than Texas. Like in the NFL, level of need will often dictate how things will play out. While that’s not great in this recruitment, it could portend good things for Texas and a player like Edge Colin Simmons, or even defensive lineman D’antre Robinson.

Assuming Jackson doesn’t commit to Texas (a safe assumption), Robinson, already a big need, becomes an even bigger one. He’s set to announce on Friday, July 21st. Aiding UT’s pursuit is the coaching staff’s success in Orlando last cycle with the commitments of running back Cedric Baxter and offensive lineman Payton Kirkland. Robinson has long been in the ‘must-win’ category to me.

Another IMG product, TJ Lindsey, could announce at any time but for now the plan is to visit both Texas and Auburn the last week of July. Texas has put itself in good position but if you combine the histories of Hugh Freeze and Auburn, expectations should be reasonably tempered. Don’t rule out Miami, either. There’s no doubt about it, Lindsey is a major need as both an early contributor at Jack outside linebacker and a long-term spin candidate to defensive tackle.

Dominick McKinley from Lafayette (La.) Acadiana would likely be a numbers-buster, but he could also simply become the fourth and final piece. He’s stated his intention is to wait until after the season to announce but a decision before the season might be more likely. This is a Texas, Oklahoma, and A&M battle with LSU still in pursuit. Texas has good options remaining, but as you know, scarcity drives the market and accompanying craziness, so buckle your chinstraps ahead of some wins and losses.

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

So January, hills, Robinson. Swinging for the fences on Lindsey and McKinley. Is there a number they wanted to take? Do they want to try to get to 5 or 6?

5 is the wish. A lot of people think Lindsey will sign elsewhere if we get McKinely. 

I think it ends up at 4. Hopefully there’s another Trill in the 2024 portal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

5 is the wish. A lot of people think Lindsey will sign elsewhere if we get McKinely. 

I think it ends up at 4. Hopefully there’s another Trill in the 2024 portal. 

Some folks also think if we get McKinley Robinson would bounce. 

4 hours ago, westexhorn said:

image.thumb.png.27a2a672db3c2b696547de79271a3374.png

That's gotta be the most offers i've ever seen on a player lol

You’re not alone. I came to post the same thing. I think when he got to 85 he became the most offered kid in history. Not that it helped him in College Station. 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls