Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

(Let me put it this way - Advantage: Aggy!

Couple of interesting comments on NIL, btw.)

Ā 

Wednesday Recruiting Nuggets: Where I stand on a few fronts

Sonny Shipp

Ā 

Spoiler

Ā 

Wednesday Recruiting Nuggets: Where I stand on a few fronts

Sonny Shipp
Ā 

If things stay as they are, LSU fans will be rejoicing in August.

The first day of celebration should come on Aug. 10 when five-star EDGE Colin Simmons is set to reveal his college decision. I expect a similar announcement from four-star running back Caden Durham.

Iā€™ll cut straight to the chase; if things stay as they are, I think LSU lands both of the big prizes from Duncanville High School.

Iā€™ve been pretty bullish on LSU and Durham for some time now, but I admit that Texas made a lot of folks sweat with Simmons after his official visit in June. OU and Texas will cause concern until they sign that NLI in the Early Signing Period, so neither recruitment will likely shut down completely. However, for now, I think the LSU staff has positioned the Tigers in the lead spot for both heading down this stretch.

Frank Wilson, Sherman Wilson, JR Belton, Jordan Arcement, John Jancek and co. have to maintain the momentum they have because NIL can change things in a split second. One good thing is LSU has done a nice job with that process in laying things out. Another positive is NIL has not been THE deciding factor with either recruitment up to this point.

Durhamā€™s unofficial visit to LSU the weekend after his official visit to Oklahoma is where my confidence level went up even more. He brought his brother, who like most of their family is part of Sooner Nation. He had seen everything OU had to offer. The LSU visit made a strong impression on him and all those positive vibes were relayed back to his dadā€™s side in Oklahoma.

It was obvious LSU had been sitting high for the nationā€™s No. 9 running back before that trip. Having more than just his mom and grandparents rave about LSU, including someone from behind enemy lines, was a big vote of confidence if he chose Baton Rouge over home. This latest trip for Durham and his mother looks like the final stamp of approval.

This latest visit was obviously big for Simmons in several ways, one being it gave him a chance to compare what he saw at Texas in late June to LSU last weekend. Until that trip to Austin, most felt LSU had a sizable lead for the previous nine months.

The NIL side of things concerns me a little more with Simmons based off some of the unconfirmed numbers Iā€™ve heard tossed around and how bad Texas wants to keep him away from LSU.

*** The way things are trending with Dominick McKinley after his visit for the Bayou Splash, Simmons would not be the only five-star I would currently pick the Tigers to beat the Longhorns for in August.

That was McKinleyā€™s first time in Baton Rouge since Jimmy Lindsey got hired as the new D-line coach. Lindsey and Frank Wilson had some time with McKinleyā€™s mother, who is steering the engine, and things went well. McKinley wanted to decide before the start of his senior season, so that is a timeline to keep in mind right now.

LSU was also able to express how interested they were in his younger brother, 2026 DL Darryus McKinley, with an in-person offer. That was something else that really hit home with mom and how close she could keep her sons close to home.

Buckle up for what should be a fun month on the trail.

Ā 

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

F2jUe9sWcAAVKEK?format=jpg&name=large

aggy not even in the running

Reverse psychology and recruiting edit logic suggest that Texas being front and center is a bad sign.

If LSU wins out, Nahlin is gonna to achieve a Luicci-level of petty bitchiness. Full blown meltdown with name calling, bans, etc. And hollow praise from his IT burner accounts.
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, SamMan said:

ā€œWeā€™ll teach you how to make that amount every year if you enrollā€¦ā€

Yes, letā€™s teach a kid how to fishā€¦for pertinent information:

IMG_0130.thumb.jpeg.a60f7e81dfe4ec1111df2c2c3ae5c12e.jpeg

Iā€™m sure @RollingPresidentialĀ loses sleep every night thinking about the path to wealth he chose not to take..

*Syd beat me to it, but the comparison tool might help visual learners understand how fucking stupid that guyā€™s assertion is.

Simmonā€™s not gonna read this diagramā€¦jeeeeeezzzzzz!

29 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

When was the last time we got a commit from a top 50 or 75 DE/Edge rusher?Ā 

If I had to guess, Iā€™d say it was Erick Fowler. Did he even make it to campus? If weā€™re talking someone who actually played here, then probably Jackson Jeffcoat.Ā 
Ā 
And now that I actually type those words outā€¦

kill me now barney stinson GIF

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If I had to guess, Iā€™d say it was Erick Fowler. Did he even make it to campus? If weā€™re talking someone who actually played here, then probably Jackson Jeffcoat.Ā 
Ā 
And now that I actually type those words outā€¦

kill me now barney stinson GIF

this is what I was thinking of with my SEC bump comment. Jeffcoat is the last one that I can think of that actually played.

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ā 

Interesting career

1991 Grand Valley State (GA)
1992ā€“1994 Wayne State (DC)
1996ā€“1998 Hillsdale (DC)
1999ā€“2002 Grand Valley State (DC)
2002ā€“2004 Central Michigan (DL)
2005ā€“2008 Georgia (LB)
2009 Georgia (co-DC)
2010ā€“2011 Cincinnati (Co-DC)
2012 Cincinnati (DC)
2013ā€“2015 Tennessee (DC)
2016 South Florida (Safeties)
2017 Kentucky (consultant)
2018-2019 Colorado State (DC)
2020ā€“2021 Georgia (DQC)
2022 LSU (Analyst)
2023ā€“present LSU (STC/OLB)

Nahlin

Spoiler

Right as we were stepping onto the Texas practice field, Duncanville Edge Colin Simmons released his announcement date of August 10th, a week from tomorrow.

I told you after the date came out I'd circle back with sources. Keep in mind I'll be working on this the next 170 hours but here's what I've learned in the last hour.

- One source feels like nothing has changed in the last month but he hasn't heard a ton in the last day or so. Not the most useful data point, but a month ago Texas certainly led.

- Another source feels like LSU has done a better job with the gloves off aspect of recruiting. Some call it negative recruiting, I think we can just call it recruiting. It's a bloodsport. If LSU is readying for the Kumite and Texas is getting ready for the All-Valley, LSU is going to win. This point is key to me because I think it does justify some LSU optimism.

- Yet another source said it's too close to call. He said it reminded him of Anthony Hill's recruitment last cycle. That's the second person to say that in the last week. Of course that one didn't go UT's way initially. My take is Texas can't hope for LSU to lose to an Appalachian State and further crater from there. LSU is going to win the SEC West, imo, and Texas needs to recruit like it.

- Based on everything I've heard, I feel strongly his Texas OV was the best visit he's experienced. LSU didn't have the benefit of a true official visit but now that doesn't matter given his announcement date.

- This one could swing wildly in the next week with very few people even knowing it. I think it's gotten that close and the Simmons' do a good job of hiding their cards.

- Both staffs have a lot of work to do over the next week.

You wanted to be in the SEC. You are already in the SEC as far as recruiting goes. Like on the field, may the best program win.

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

maybe Duncanville said "Listen, we'd prefer you announce this stuff ASAP" and they decided to do it together as a school announcement thing ahead of the season.Ā 

This would be my hope. I know Duncanville would like their guys to announce before the season and that would make the Durham and Simmons announcements make sense even if they werenā€™t going to the same school.

But if itā€™s not a Duncanville thing, then itā€™s hard for me to find another way to spin it.
Ā 

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ā 

Now thatā€™s an interesting twist.

Ā 

Latest Horns247 intel on five-star EDGE Colin Simmons ahead of Aug. 10 commitment date

Hudson Standish

Ā 

(Key point that should make us all feel good - per Hudson: ā€œI havenā€™t heard anything to make me change my mind.ā€ ... Just kidding, Tokamak, just kidding.Ā  Sort of.)

Ā 

Spoiler

Ā 

Latest Horns247 intel on five-star EDGE Colin Simmons ahead of Aug. 10 commitment date

Hudson Standish
Ā 

Duncanville five-star EDGE Colin Simmons announced a commitment date for August 10th earlier today consisting of a final three of Texas, LSU, and Miami. Simmons took four official visits over the offseason to Miami on June 9th, SMU June 13rd, Alabama June 16th, and Texas on June 23rd before making an unofficial trip to LSU this past weekend for the Tigers' Bayou Splash recruiting event. While Simmons has Miami listed in a top three, the writing has been on the wall for quite some time that this battle would eventually come down to Texas vs. LSU.

Sources on the Texas and LSU sides are split with unusual amounts of confidence from each side in the last few days. My take that Texas is the team to beat for Simmons right now stems from conversations with sources not only on the Texas side but in DFW as well over the last month or so following the Texas official visit.Ā 

Hank mentioned this in the announcement thread earlier today but in addition to the chatter we've been hearing from our usual Texas and DFW contacts, sources on the Miami side think the eventual pick will be Texas as well. Sourcing on the team side for "3rd place finishers" can be a bit tricky to read considering they're not following with the day-to-day attention to detail that we are, however I'm not discounting the information considering the wide gulf in information being relayed from either side of the Texas-Louisiana border.Ā 

I think it makes the most sense to lay out the case for each program eight days out from a decision based on what we've gathered over the last 24-48 hours. The case for Texas starts and finishes with the fact that Simmons is the No. 1 priority on the board for the 2024 cycle and all facets of the Texas Football operation seemed to be aligned in securing his signature. Over the offseason up until his Texas official visit I was pretty hesitant that the Longhorns would be able to surpass LSU for Simmons but the feedback from nearly anybody you spoke to with knowledge of his recruitment after the OV swayed me personally and Jordan ended up putting in a Texas crystal ball. As time passed following the OV we started hearing rumblings that Simmons would move up his timeline from NSD1 in December to before Duncanville kicked off their 2023 season and on July 17th he tweeted out that a commitment date would be coming soon. On the surface Simmons announcing a commitment date following the LSU UOV isn't ideal but our sourced intel tipping us off that an August date was coming, combined with the kid himself tweeting out that he had a date in mind 10 days before making the trip to Baton Rouge should soften that blow. I mentioned it earlier in the article but the vast majority of the chatter in DFW has remained on Texas even after the UOV to LSU.Ā 

For the LSU side of things what we've heard from sources in Baton Rouge also makes quite a bit of sense. The Tigers were the unquestioned leader throughout the majority of the past year. While Simmons never took an official visit to LSU, he's been to campus a half dozen times already and talked on the record about Baton Rouge feeling like home. Something else I'm personally factoring into the equation is that LSU has recruited at a higher level than the Longhorns so far the 2024 cycle. While Texas slightly has a higher average rating per commit, LSU has five players in the top 150 compared to only Jerrick Gibson for the Longhorns. Sources across the board have started to feel like LSU is taking the momentum with five-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley which just shows the quality of the LSU pitch (especially for in-state prospects).

Simmons is going to continue to keep this one close to the vest in the leadup to next week's announcement but after remaining extremely cautious with our reporting in the last major head-to-head battle with Corian Gipson ultimately choosing Clemson, we're still feeling good in our Simmons to Texas confidence.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

Texas doesnā€™t negative recruit. We just put hits on position coachesĀ 

Well your honor, it doesn't seem like the prosecution has decided to show up today. Perhaps he has been befallen by an unexpected event that would hypothetically disrupt his ability to participate in this case. I guess we will never know..Ā 

Just now, TXRed said:

Gerry has said a couple times that Simmons wouldnā€™t commit to a school the same day as someone else.Ā 

Someone from IT -- don't remember who -- also said Durham wouldn't have any influence on where Simmons goes.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If you guys are looking for good news, here it is. In reading this write-up and knowing what I know, Sonny Shipp doesn't know what in the fuck he is talking about for either of McKinley or Simmons. NIL is a fundamental issue for Simmons. The McKinley's made a courtesy visit to LSU in order to keep all of the slackjawed cajun imbeciles at bay with their whining about not giving LSU any chances in his recruitment.Ā 

Beyond that, to commit somewhere in which you don't even know who your position coach will be isn't particularly on brand for Simmons either.Ā 

I continue to say LSU and have said that from the beginning, outside of some optimism for Texas just after his visit, but there are folks who were pretty fucking accurate about Gipson that do not feel the same way about Simmons.Ā 

If LSU is really thinking along the lines that Shipp is and they don't think that NIL is the front and center issue for Simmons, yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.

mood GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls