Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, Vermin said:

Alex January - Georgia, FSU, OU, LSU offers

D'antre Robinson - Georgia, Ohio State, USC, Alabama offers

Melvin Hills - LSU, Alabama, Georgia, FSU offers

All three star specials. 🙄

Eh, Robinson is the only one that jumps out as hugely underranked. I like the other two but those offer lists don’t match the recruitments

3 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Well, it might be time to start throwing an occasional glance at Alabama's commit list. Any linemen or secondary that are Texas good?

Obviously the biggest name would be Ryan Williams if he actually goes through with reclassifying to 2024. People say Hudson might be the best WR prospect in a decade, and they have a point, but he won't even be the top rated WR in his own class if Williams goes through with it. Kid is that damned good.

We are likely running second with him currently but he is firmly locked to Bama. They've viewed him as an absolute cannot fail to recruit kid in the same way we viewed Simmons this cycle. We will need both the "Is Saban washed?" whispers to continue and their offense to keep looking as horrendous as it does vs USF right now to have a real shot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Still the wrong fucking thread.  geez
I'm closing out this webpage tab.
I don't usually like closing out this tab because I like to check this thread before I click the 995 subforum.

I like to read about the recruiting process buildup to the 3, 4 & especially 5 star commitment threads.
Don't like opening the 995 subforum and seeing a sudden "committed" thread.  
I usually leave two webpage tabs open all times.  This thread and also the football subforum.

image.png.f9be470a09455260606c9cef9fe43516.png

Edited by ATXbronco

1 hour ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

ended up being a fun game with the crowd getting into it.  hopefully it helps with recruits 

was frustrating as shit on tv but yeah, probably the perfect game for recruits.  crowd was into it, great atmosphere, trick plays/big plays, the guys having fun and pulling away at the end, presumably a happy locker room.  28-0 at half and 31-10 final would've been fucking boring.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Spoiler

St. Louis (Mo.) University five-star receiver Ryan Wingo is back in Austin this weekend spending time on campus of one of his favorite schools in Texas.

This is Wingo’s third time in Austin, a trip highlighted by the Longhorns win over Wyoming.

“Glad that we came and brought his big brother (Ronnie Jr.) and our uncle from Oklahoma City Darryl Wingo,” Wingo’s father Ronnie said.

Wingo’s trainer also came along as the blue-chipper strongly considers a future playing for Steve Sarkisian and his staff.

“Ryan loves the way they spread the ball to the receivers,” the elder Wingo said.

The Longhorns are battling Missouri, Miami, Michigan and many others for Wingo who 247Sports tabs as the country’s No. 2 receiver and No. 7 prospect overall. The family enjoyed being inside Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

“It was great,” Ronnie Sr. said. “Crowd was lout and into the game.”

The Wingo camp got a lot of time with Sarkisian and the staff.

• Hook 'Em 2

South with another Wingo interview

Spoiler

AUSTIN, Texas — Five-star wide receiver Ryan Wingo returned to Austin this weekend for an unofficial visit, marking his second time back on the Forty Acres since June.

“It was a good visit,” Wingo told Horns247. “They obviously showed a lot of spark at the end of the game. Good game. They were running like a prevent defense so it was kind of hard for (Texas) to go down the field. But at the same time it was a great game to watch and a fun game to be at.”

Having already used an official visit to Texas, why was it important for the St. Louis standout to get back on campus this weekend?

“I’ve never been to a game up here before,” he said. “I always was told the atmosphere is crazy. I had to come see for myself.”

And the atmosphere, featuring a new lights and drone show, didn’t disappoint.

“That was hard,” Wingo said. “I had recorded it, too. That was crazy. Never seen something like that.”

UT head coach Steve Sarkisian reiterated the Longhorns’ pitch to Wingo.

“They want me,” Wingo said of Sark’s message. “How they need me. They’ve got receivers going out. So they need some receivers coming in to be ready to work and get on the field.”

Wide receivers coach Chris Jackson has formed a strong relationship with UT’s top receiver target as well.

“Coach C-Jack, he’s been on me since January,” Wingo said. “He texted me like the first day he got in. Ever since then we’ve just had a great connection, great bond. At the same time his coaching style is a great coaching style. He came from the NFL for a whole bunch of years. So I think just having that in a receiver coach is great.”

Wingo spoke with UT quarterback Arch Manning and Texas commit Trey Owens. The duo, plus the other quarterbacks committed and on campus already, are one of the main factors that have the Longhorns under such high consideration.

“I think really just you’ve got the good quarterbacks coming in and that are there right now,” Wingo said of what he likes best about Texas. “You have a quarterback that’s in the system, especially Coach Sark’s system, that offense is crazy. I think just having the opportunity to go play in their offense is a great opportunity.”

The 247Sports Crystal Ball favors Texas for Wingo. Mizzou is considered the chief competition. Wingo says no program has been eliminated just yet.

“I’m kind of just taking it not necessarily slow but I’m just really focused on my season right now,” he said. “Trying to make sure we at least get to state. That’s been my biggest thing. I’m not really down to no top schools yet.”

As for upcoming visits …

“I might go (see) Mizzou next week,” he said. “They play at the dome. It’s like 10 minutes from my house. I think I’m going to that game.”

Wingo has tentatively circled Dec. 20 for a decision date. He’s still pointing towards that, at least for now.

“It just really depends,” he said. “It could be anytime but I think that Dec. 20 is kind of a lock.”

The Longhorns had a good showing for Wingo this weekend.

“They for sure helped themselves,” he said. “Their offense, even not being able to do what they like doing throwing the ball down the field, they still showed off their run game. Just kind of being able to do that, it showed you can still produce without having to do what you do best.”

At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Wingo is ranked the No. 7 wide receiver and the No. 24 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We replacing a 5 star who dicked around our coaches, openly fucked with Texas, and went to Tech with an OOS 5 star stud and you're.... being snarky about it?

Im being snarky about weak negging a dude right after he was on national TV playing his ass off. We also watched two similar WR prospects from this state that didnt come here being superstars in the NFL. People are gonna be unhappy to miss on yet another one so lets bag on his character and make believe we didnt miss out. He's a Tech legacy, grew up hating Texas. He was never gonna come here. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 17

4 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Im being snarky about weak negging a dude right after he was on national TV playing his ass off. We also watched two similar WR prospects from this state that didnt come here being superstars in the NFL. People are gonna be unhappy to miss on yet another one so lets bag on his character and make believe we didnt miss out. He's a Tech legacy, grew up hating Texas. He was never gonna come here. 

JSN is an NFL superstar? Or am I IDing the wrong kid?

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

image.gif.9673aa1f5f4e20cc23c865ca56c355de.gif

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I can honestly say I've never noticed either of you post before, but you're getting a fucking negging for quoting that shitstain troll.

Has Futureman been so powerful in your lives that you neg people for making fun of him just because you had to read his name? Get a grip.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Some guys choose other schools (Waddle). Some guys are assholes about it (Hudson). But you do you.

• Hook 'Em 8

Some observations from the national podcasts on Hudson:

- Not one single mention of dad playing ball at Tech. On3, 247, and The Athletic. 
- NIL largely ignored. 
- Hudson being a one off ignored. 
- Almost no mentions that Tech was 0-2 at the time. 

Just more data points that national media is extremely lazy and only notice Texas when the Horns are either really good or really bad. 

• Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls