Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

39 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So, we should be done at WR. OL needs at least one and maybe 2. TE we will stand unless a difference maker comes calling. Between DL and DE we will take one more. We will take one at LB. We will take Black and one more at corner and one more at safety. This means at best case.

Wingo

Baker and possibly Davis

DE and DL no idea

LB Smith

DB Black and possibly Mack

Bevo,

In your note, I sense a slight - a very, very slight - undercurrent of concern regarding the numbers.

Is that the case?

If so, it will not stand.  No, sir.

Looking for an emphatic - and expeditious - denial.

On the record.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

So, we should be done at WR. OL needs at least one and maybe 2. TE we will stand unless a difference maker comes calling. Between DL and DE we will take one more. We will take one at LB. We will take Black and one more at corner and one more at safety. This means at best case.

Wingo

Baker and possibly Davis

DE and DL no idea

LB Smith

DB Black and possibly Mack

Kudos. I believe that is as succinct a summation of our current situation as I have seen.

• Haha 1

Crystal Ballin': Entering in two Horns247 staff Crystal Ball predictions for 5-star WR Ryan Wingo

Hank South (Horns 247)

Scruggs threw in this interesting comment at the end, perhaps anticipating a silent commitment: "At this point in time I don’t think the timing of the decision matters much anymore either, as at this moment I have enough confidence that Texas will be able to seal the deal regardless if an announcement comes this weekend, on early signing day, or sometime in between." — Jordan Scruggs

Spoiler

Crystal Ballin': Entering in two Horns247 staff Crystal Ball predictions for 5-star WR Ryan Wingo

Hank South (Horns 247)

Horns247 brings you another edition of Crystal Ballin’ in which Hank South and Jordan Scruggs enter 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions and give analysis on their picks. Today we turn to five-star wide receiver Ryan Wingo.

Texas has plenty of appeal for wide receivers — Steve Sarkisian’s offense, a loaded quarterback room, the opportunity to fine tune their skillsets under former NFL coach Chris Jackson, and the opportunity to play in the SEC starting next season. We’ve seen Parker Livingstone hop on board, as well as Aeryn Hampton (although he’s likely to end up on the defensive side of the ball when all is said and done) so far in 2024. But Texas isn’t done.

One of the Longhorns’ top remaining targets, five-star pass catcher Ryan Wingo, is expected to return to Austin this weekend for the Wyoming game, his first time back in town since his June official visit. Coming off that trip, 247Sports’ Steve Wiltfong Crystal Ball forecasted the elite wideout to the Longhorns. I’m now joining him with a Crystal Ball forecast (6 confidence) of my own after speaking with multiple sources ahead of Wingo’s return to the Forty Acres this weekend. The buzz has been building in Texas' favor for a while now. The chance to catch passes from Maalik Murphy or Arch Manning, the need at the position, his comfort level in Austin, among other factors, are driving factors UT's momentum.

Wingo has a tentative timetable of Dec. 20 to announce his decision, one that will likely come down between Texas and home-state Mizzou, but several sources I’ve talked to haven’t ruled out Wingo moving that timeline up.

With Wingo the highest profile uncommitted recruit visiting Austin this weekend, we’ll be keeping a close eye on any developments with the five-star and keep you up to date with all the latest on Horns247. — Hank South

After months of consistent communication between Longhorns staffers and the five-star and his family, Texas was able to get the No. 7 ranked prospect on campus for an official visit in June.

Coming out of the official trip there was certainly no shortness of buzz between Wingo and the Longhorns, but the ultimate question came down to timing of the decision. The common belief was that if Wingo were to decide in the weeks following the official visit to Texas, the pick would be Texas. However on the flip side of that there was certainly some concern that if the five-star was to take his recruitment into the season or potentially to early signing day, the Longhorns chances of reeling in Wingo would be lower due to the other unofficial and official visits that the five-star would likely potentially take.

Because of the Longhorns statement win over Alabama last Saturday and Wingo’s long planned upcoming unofficial visit to Texas for this Saturday's game vs Wyoming, smoke between the two parties is back to billowing and with that being said I’ve joined Horns247’s Hank South in entering in a 247Sports Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas with a confidence of 6.

I think Missouri will continue to be a thorn in anyone's side until Wingo signs his national letter of intent, but as of right now I’m specifically expecting that “anyone” to be Texas. At this point in time I don’t think the timing of the decision matters much anymore either, as at this moment I have enough confidence that Texas will be able to seal the deal regardless if an announcement comes this weekend, on early signing day, or sometime in between. — Jordan Scruggs 

• Hook 'Em 9

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bussey is wildly overrated. He’s the kind of guy that ATM pushes for and probably ends up paying for because he’s a rankings driver, and then won’t live up to it once on campus. I will be shocked if Texas pushes for him, starting with him being on campus today. Knock me over with a feather if he’s in Austin tonight. 

The rankings this year are fucking awful. There are numerous instances where the big time schools are shying away from highly rated players and all-in on low 4 stars and 3 stars. 

D’antre Robinson, Holla.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bussey is wildly overrated. He’s the kind of guy that ATM pushes for and probably ends up paying for because he’s a rankings driver, and then won’t live up to it once on campus. I will be shocked if Texas pushes for him, starting with him being on campus today. Knock me over with a feather if he’s in Austin tonight. 

The rankings this year are fucking awful. There are numerous instances where the big time schools are shying away from highly rated players and all-in on low 4 stars and 3 stars. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Kind of suprised they didn't pay him to commit this week post Bama.

Dudes looking for a reason to go somewhere else other than A&M or is good at driving up his dollars.

Re rankings, I kind of want to screenshot the top 100 now and check it vs where it finishes in feb

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

Dudes looking for a reason to go somewhere else other than A&M or is good at driving up his dollars.

Re rankings, I kind of want to screenshot the top 100 now and check it vs where it finishes in feb

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/terry-bussey-at-timpson-277143/RecruitRankHistory/

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

Might end up like TJ Shanahan - stringing it out until NSD hoping someone will find room for him

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Parker Livingstone, holler

29 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Of course we get our first goddamn thunderstorm and sustained rain in like four months on our biggest recruiting game. Hopefully everyone is still able to make it in (shouldn't impact the game itself at least). 

Get a hold of yourself united airlines nasa GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Gotta be working on a sarkisian extension. I wonder how the timing of the announcement plays into recruiting as we have this weird thing called coaching stability while A&M is about to implode. Maybe they fire durkin mid season, maybe we announce the extension at the same time…

We are not Texas Tech or A&M.   We can wait till the end of the season.  

• Hook 'Em 5

On 7/12/2023 at 6:26 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

There's a lot wrong with this but the biggest issue is the 2019 season was projected to be a tough schedule. Sagarin had it as the #7 toughest schedule at the end of the year.

Texas played 3 top 15 teams that year (LSU #1, OU #7, and Baylor #13). 

Is there a top 15 caliber team on this year's schedule outside of Alabama? Maybe OU, Tech, TCU, or K-State but they look like more fringe top 25ish teams (at best). 

On 7/12/2023 at 6:44 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

I think Kansas State and Alabama are the two bonafied top 15 type teams. Oklahoma will be a top 15 team due to their schedule.

On 7/12/2023 at 7:09 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't agree at all. 

IMO, K-State is the most overrated Big 12 team heading into the season. They lost some serious weapons on offense (starting RB and 3 of their top 4 WRs). Then they lost nearly 50% of their defensive production. 

Tried to tell you. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls