87th Texas Legislature

StassneyHorn

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The holocaust does not apply.  This dumb bitch should be fired.

The Holocaust doesn't matter or isn't still controversial?  Hershel Walker will be relieved to hear that he won't have to cancel the fundraiser because the event host had been using Holocaust/Nazi imagery and comparisons on social media.

"teachers who choose to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective;"

Johnny, you telling me that Republican politicians, talking heads, etc. are not currently making issues out of the Civil War, slavery, the Holocaust?  That there is no controversy over white supremacists, many of whom sport Nazi imagery, and who push back against discussions of slavery, but "there are fine people on both sides" of course, I'm sure.

You Dont Say Nicholas Cage GIF

Would you like me to start posting all of the various Republican talking heads and politicians who have had plenty to say about the Civil War and statue removals and renaming schools?

And the various Republican politicians and talking heads who seem to fall prey to retweeting dipshits who deny the Holocaust or sport Nazi imagery?  Not just Hershel Walker, but plenty of others as well.

Edited by atomheartbevo

fine, then pick something where there were two sides, like the Civil War. There were not two sides to the Holocaust.

You’re wrong. A guy I knew in undergrad didn’t believe the Holocaust happened. He argued that there weren’t even that number of Jews in Europe. He also didn’t believe in evolution. He’s now an oncologist in Ft Worth.

Rep Bryan Hughes is coming out now saying that is not what it's about, but when the bill was being argued other legislators were saying to keep the original requirements because the text had language that was more inclusive of marginalized populations and concepts related to public policy and social affairs (the Chicano Movement was an example, Susan B Anthony was another) and the new and passed bill was so vague that it's almost as if they punt this back on the ISDs so that triggered parents who get upset over their child reading the I have A Dream speech can get someone fired.

Curriculum content and facility construction/rental (for charter schools) is big money. It's more than winning the hearts and minds of the yutes. It's also about dollar bills.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, serious question---is "the other side" of a chapter about the Holocaust...is that just a book from a Holocaust denier?  Or is it some sort of alternative presentation on what actually happened---like "there was a holocaust where these people died...but here's why they really died...or who was really behind it."  Is that the kinda shit she means?  

I mean say what you want about the Civil War dipshits "War of Northern Aggression, Muh States Rights."  None of the fucking morons denied the Civil War actually occurred.  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, serious question---is "the other side" of a chapter about the Holocaust...is that just a book from a Holocaust denier?  Or is it some sort of alternative presentation on what actually happened---like "there was a holocaust where these people died...but here's why they really died...or who was really behind it."  Is that the kinda shit she means?  

I mean say what you want about the Civil War dipshits "War of Northern Aggression, Muh States Rights."  None of the fucking morons denied the Civil War actually occurred.  

I don't know, but I'm really glad that my children are not just starting out in the school system. Abstinence sex ed that doesn't teach anything scientific. Science that has been completely watered down by politics, and vague history based on "all our little old ancestors who came over from England." I think my children could've condensed twelve years into two months and been done with it.

Are they going after math too?

12 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't know, but I'm really glad that my children are not just starting out in the school system. Abstinence sex ed that doesn't teach anything scientific. Science that has been completely watered down by politics, and vague history based on "all our little old ancestors who came over from England." I think my children could've condensed twelve years into two months and been done with it.

Are they going after math too?

No.  Progressives are in the name of “equity”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/california-leftists-try-to-cancel-math-class-11621355858

https://www.hoover.org/research/seattle-schools-propose-teach-math-education-racist-will-california-be-far-behindseattle

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

The first article is paywalled for me, but the second one I looked at. I have to say that I'm not fond of Common Core in the way it was implemented so their stance that California did much better mathwise in education prior to it being used does align with my bias. CC was sponsored by governors and I understood the desire for some national standards, but just as this Texas bill is a little vague in how the nuts and bolts work, so too is CC. Doesn't that seem to be a general problem these days? (derail incoming) Someone has a grand idea, "Oh! We should do X! It will be so great and this will happen and this (insert some flowery beautiful result here) but the people who sit in the room and say things like, "and how will you do X and what about Y because that is the law regarding Z and this is going to cost this much and will this funding come from which category?" and everyone just ignores them. On the one hand, I admire it  more than the person who says, "Oh we should do X" because he or she knows they can profit/scam/divert funds for personal gain off taxpayers but on the other hand idealism that is spinning wheels can do very real harm when the supposed beneficiaries and what they need are never considered.

The National Governors Association that developed these standards is private and therefore not subject to FOIA requests so it is hard for the public to determine what their motivation is (it's more than just sitting governors that are members) and so one has to ask--do they serve the students or themselves? For me, the answer is that the goal of a national standard was not a wrong goal to set although it depends upon whom is doing the setting, but there is a lot of real estate in between and there was a lot of money to be made on testing, testing, testing. That is opposed to learning, learning, learning.

I don't believe that the all of the drivers in education are progressives. Some may be, sure, but a lot are out to make money off of a behemoth field. Look up the profits that Pearson Education garners and ask any college professor you run across how much the publishers HATE when professors use open source materials and get rid of textbooks and study resource guides.

sorry for the derail....well, not really really sorry.

Back to Texas Legislature.

43 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What the admin was talking about was the Holocaust.   So why was she addressing that if the book wasn’t about that?

First two paragraphs in the story

"SOUTHLAKE, Texas — A top administrator with the Carroll Independent School District in Southlake advised teachers last week that if they have a book about the Holocaust in their classroom, they should also offer students access to a book from an “opposing” perspective, according to an audio recording obtained by NBC News.

Gina Peddy, the Carroll school district’s executive director of curriculum and instruction, made the comment Friday afternoon during a training session on which books teachers can have in classroom libraries. The training came four days after the Carroll school board, responding to a parent’s complaint, voted to reprimand a fourth grade teacher who had kept an anti-racism book in her classroom."

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

First two paragraphs in the story

"SOUTHLAKE, Texas — A top administrator with the Carroll Independent School District in Southlake advised teachers last week that if they have a book about the Holocaust in their classroom, they should also offer students access to a book from an “opposing” perspective, according to an audio recording obtained by NBC News.

Gina Peddy, the Carroll school district’s executive director of curriculum and instruction, made the comment Friday afternoon during a training session on which books teachers can have in classroom libraries. The training came four days after the Carroll school board, responding to a parent’s complaint, voted to reprimand a fourth grade teacher who had kept an anti-racism book in her classroom."

Anti-racism is a euphemism for CRT.  What was the book?  Was it Kendi?  Or one of those other CRT asshats?  Seems kind of an important detail.  

• Fuck You 2

https://www.axios.com/local/dallas/2021/10/11/southlake-schools-anti-racism-book

What’s happening: A fourth-grade teacher was reprimanded by the school district last week after a parent complained about a child bringing home "This Book Is Anti-Racist" by Tiffany Jewell.

• Teachers in Carroll ISD were given mandatory training on new district-wide rules governing books.

What they’re saying: "How am I supposed to know what 44 sets of parents find offensive?" a Carroll teacher told NBC News.

• "We’ve been told: 'The parents are our clients. We have to do what they want.' And this is what they want."
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Anti-racism is a euphemism for CRT.  What was the book?  Was it Kendi?  Or one of those other CRT asshats?  Seems kind of an important detail.  

Is CRT a euphemism for anti racism? If so, what’s wrong with that?

14 hours ago, elfenix said:

moo moo drive in looks like it should be on the surly road trip eats map

i have to chime in here, the place is damn good ! i knew the o/g owners sold but didnt know who bought it. 

you order your fried chicken and the girl at the window yells at the cook so they can drop your order in the grease. very good burgers and damn good fried gizzards (half price on tuesdays !). soda drinks are just right. dont forget to order a couple of jalepenos on the side. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Moo Moo Drive inn for chicken gizzards. 

As someone who grew up in Victoria, it’s sad to see that the public schools are much more forgiving now post-deconsolidation. This fat fucker would’ve been lifted over the second story stairs at Memorial (Stroman) and made to squeal in 03-07.

victoria west is FULL of pussies !!!!!

19 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Anti-racism, by CRT advocates like Kendi and his ilk, cannot be more racist.   

As racist as Joe Biden, the "most racist president of the last 30 years"?

Lmao but don't forget that johnny didn't think Ahmaud Arbery's killers were racist. Or George Floyd's murderer was either.

So maybe you're just full of shit, sack. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

As racist as Joe Biden, the "most racist president of the last 30 years"?

Lmao but don't forget that johnny didn't think Ahmaud Arbery's killers were racist. Or George Floyd's murderer was either.

So maybe you're just full of shit, sack. 

Link to that Arbery assertion by me?

Also, what is the basis for Chauvin being a racist?  I have no idea if that killing was racially motivated.  What evidence is there that it was?  Just that a white guy killed a black guy?

Not every time a white person kills a black person is race a motivating factor.  Or vice versa.  Nor is every time a white person mistreats a black person racism.  Or vice versa.  Sometimes it’s just an asshole.  Sometimes it’s racism.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Link to that Arbery assertion by me?

Well on the one hand, you are very good at avoiding saying the quiet part out loud, but shit like:

On 4/29/2020 at 1:31 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Because regardless of your opinion about the law, they very may well have been in compliance with it.  If you don't like the law, change it.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:47 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Yeah, imagine that.  Waiting to see what evidence is available for judging someone as a murderous racist.  Fucking terrible practice.  Can’t virtue signal as early on.  

As your reaction to a truck full of bubbas with confederate flag license plates driving down and shooting a black man who had the audacity to go for a run in THEIR neighborhood, while shitposting about "bLaCk On BlAcK vIoLeNcE iS rEaLlY tHe PrObLeM" really says everything you're too much of a pussy to say out loud.

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Also, what is the basis for Chauvin being a racist?  I have no idea if that killing was racially motivated.  What evidence is there that it was?  Just that a white guy killed a black guy?

well considering his defense in his murder charge is going with classic racist tropes of the "angry black men" being the reason he HAD to strangle Floyd to death. 

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well on the one hand, you are very good at avoiding saying the quiet part out loud, but shit like:

As your reaction to a truck full of bubbas with confederate flag license plates driving down and shooting a black man who had the audacity to go for a run in THEIR neighborhood, while shitposting about "bLaCk On BlAcK vIoLeNcE iS rEaLlY tHe PrObLeM" really says everything you're too much of a pussy to say out loud.

well considering his defense in his murder charge is going with classic racist tropes of the "angry black men" being the reason he HAD to strangle Floyd to death. 

Yeah, so nothing.  The only group of people I dislike is white progressives.  And them I detest.

Edited by Johnny Sack

6 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I’m familiar with Dr. Kendi’s work. He believes it’s possible to do racist things without being racist. Do you agree?

Ever so often I do the  Steve Martin wild and crazy guys "slap my hand, black soul man" to the younger kids at family gatherings.  

At Christmas, I am heard singing "I don't care what the white man says!  Santa Claus was a black man!"

The first is a little racist.  The second, a form of flattering empowerment.

27 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Sorry if already asked and posted.  Is there a good map out there that shows all the new Texas House Districts?  There has been some movement around the edges of my district and it looks like the Dem I thought was running is now running elsewhere and we have two who have just announced.    

Yeah, Js posted it a couple days ago. They did tinker with the edges some, and I found out my across the street neighbors on a completely normal residential street will now be in a different district from me. Weird.

See below:

Thanks!  Ha.  Looks like they carved out a section of Lake Highlands from 114.  I'm now in 108. 

Honorary Park Cities, bitches! 

"Hello University Park Police?  There's an older heavy set Spanish gentleman who is walking up and down my street knocking on doors.  He's wearing a red Keep Hope Alive t-shirt, tan trousers, and red shoes... I hadn't thought of that but he may be retarded."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Sounds like it's issuing bonds for construction projects for various schools.

https://fortworthbusiness.com/education/abbott-clears-path-for-college-campus-construction-bill/

For years, higher education leaders grew accustomed to the Legislature passing construction bills for their projects every other session. But the time between the bills passing has widened over the past two decades. Before 2015, the state hadn’t passed a tuition revenue bond bill since 2006.

And even during the regular legislative session earlier this year, a $4.3 billion tuition revenue bond package failed to pass.

I agree with Charles Blow:

Texas is a leader in oppression. It is institutionalizing and legalizing racism, misogyny and transphobia. And the Lone Star State is hardly alone in its oppressive ambitions. Other states are watching and waiting, poised to follow its lead.

As The Washington Post put it last month, “Texas created a blueprint for abortion restrictions,” with Republicans in at least seven other states planning to replicate the state’s restriction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/opinion/texas-abortion-voting-transphobia.html

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

That organization is most definitely not on UT's side. 

7 hours ago, Satchel said:

Adding higher ed funding to the tail end of the session seems suspect, since Texas has never prioritized higher ed funding before.

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

Sounds like it's issuing bonds for construction projects for various schools.

https://fortworthbusiness.com/education/abbott-clears-path-for-college-campus-construction-bill/

So which donors are going to get rich off of this?  

On 10/14/2021 at 5:03 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Yeah.  The moron is the administrator.  Who is either dumb and cannot read or can read and making a dumb gotcha.  This is what the law says:

(h-2)  In the instruction of the essential knowledge and
     skills for the social studies curriculum, in applicable courses of
     Texas, United States, and world history, government, civics, social
     studies, or similar subject areas:
                  (1)  no teacher shall be compelled by a policy of any
     state agency, school district, campus, open-enrollment charter
     school, or school administration to discuss current events or
     widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy
     or social affairs;
                  (2)  teachers who choose to discuss current events or
     widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy
     or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to
     explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives
     without giving deference to any one perspective;

The holocaust does not apply.  This dumb bitch should be fired.

No. You are the idiot. The stupid ass law should never have been passed in the first place because it is moronic and the fact you are somewhat defending it is all the proof we need of that. 

• Like 1

Awesome.  While I was bitching about my state rep being from the Park Cities, I just realized that instead of being represented by Colin Allred, I'm now represented by Beth Van Duyne -- "the new face of Trump in Texas" in Congress.  I'm basically a tad north of White Rock Lake and she represents Tarrant and fucking Southlake. 

South Fucking Lake.

18 minutes ago, tantric superman said:
Awesome.  While I was bitching about my state rep being from the Park Cities, I just realized that instead of being represented by Colin Allred, I'm now represented by Beth Van Duyne -- "the new face of Trump in Texas" in Congress.  I'm basically a tad north of White Rock Lake and she represents Tarrant and fucking Southlake. 
South Fucking Lake.

I’ve got you beat. Lance fucking Gooden. 

0AEBEC7E-774F-4610-937E-349A28EB330D.thumb.png.36c1878e1c4bdfee788c1a4af6e1842d.png

I misspoke. Looks like new district boundary now has me in 32 with Allred. Actually much more geographically representative than the current district.

EEF14F12-349D-45D7-A30E-4BD82671B520.webp

Edited by DDD Dad

Color me shocked Mrs. T’s changes in Harris County got through the conference committee. No major changes to the map besides that and moving Gonzalez into Vela’s open seat he will likely run for. Texas GOP wants TX-15

Maps passed. Session over - both Patrick and Phelan indicated they don't expect another special session (Patrick told them the Senate "Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas" and Phelan said they just want to go home and recover) 

Meanwhile, the updated list is 14 House members not running for re-election - 6 running for other offices

Not running for anything else (yet), R - Paddie, Leman, Sanford, Larson, Huberty, Murphy
Not running for anything else (yet), D - Lucio, J. Turner
R running for other office - White, P. King, T. Parker, Krause
D running for other office - Israel, Beckley

As a PSA, here are the links to the various interactive maps of the redrawn districts all in one place:

US Congress: https://dvr.capitol.texas.gov/Congress/14/PLANC2101

Texas House: https://dvr.capitol.texas.gov/House/0/PLANH2316

Texas Senate: https://dvr.capitol.texas.gov/Senate/50/PLANS2168

Texas Board of Education: https://dvr.capitol.texas.gov/sboe/50/PLANE2106

• Hook 'Em 1

State Sen Lucio is getting a known primary challenger from House member Alex Dominguez. F’n Wendy Davis is the campaign treasurer. Some of you live to spend money on races that aren’t close, and you have that right, and I’ll always make fun of it, but this is one that could be very effectual. Last cycle he had to go to a runoff.

Lay with a dog (Lt Gov) and you’ll get fleas, Lucio.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2