87th Texas Legislature

StassneyHorn

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

This seems like real news. 

Yeah, Abbott really lobbied hard to get this done.  Creates 2 toss-up state House seats (not Congressional)

The map itself passed the House 83-63 at like 3am. 

Some things that did happen:

• Anchia's tweaks to North Texas created a new majority-black and a new majority-Hispanic district
  • Zweiner's amendment was adopted that moved her residence back into her existing district and keeps Wimberley intact.  She may survive. 
  • The big point of contention, as mentioned, was JM Lozano (R) splitting Cameron County to create a more competitive HD-37 for the GOP.  Lucio III tried to get it voted down. The current HD-37 member, Dominguez, said Lozano did this without even consulting with the RGV members.  It passed 72-70.  6 Republicans crossed to vote it down, but it wasn't enough. 

They attempted to minimize the number of member-on-member crimes and the only one that appears to remain in his map is Ortega and Ordaz Perez in El Paso. 

58 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

That there is a man who has only had sex with a prostitute.  A male prostitute.  And then he cried in shame about it, as he simultaneously fantasized about doing it again.

The major deflections to avoid dealing with the self-loathing are strong with this one.

Come out.  Be yourself, Chad.  You'll be so much happier.

Lots of exciting news today.  Lyle Larson is not running for re-election.  Biedermann is ceding HD-19 to Foxy Troxy to run in HD-73. 

Talarico is going to run in HD-50 (open) with Israel vacating and the GOP chopping up his seat. 

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lots of exciting news today.  Lyle Larson is not running for re-election.  Biedermann is ceding HD-19 to Foxy Troxy to run in HD-73. 

Talarico is going to run in HD-50 (open) with Israel vacating and the GOP chopping up his seat. 

Just got the email from Talarico. 

Is there a tool where you can search by your address to see what HD you're in? Someone posted one for the Congressional districts, but I haven't seen one for Texas house. 

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Just got the email from Talarico. 

Is there a tool where you can search by your address to see what HD you're in? Someone posted one for the Congressional districts, but I haven't seen one for Texas house. 

DistrictViewer (texas.gov)

This should be the one that passed the House last night and goes to the Senate for Friday's hearing.  You can zoom all the way in to see street names. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

DistrictViewer (texas.gov)

This should be the one that passed the House last night and goes to the Senate for Friday's hearing.  You can zoom all the way in to see street names. 

Denton is so chopped up. 

Edit: the real question is when does the litigation begin

Edited by cactusflinthead

3 hours ago, Updawg said:

Who the fuck is this guy?

https://www.legistorm.com/person/bio/358242/Chad_C_Shoemake.html

https://www.facebook.com/chad.shoemake.9

September 30 at 3:54 PM  · 

Today is my last day working at the Texas Capitol. Thank you Bryan Slaton for giving me the opportunity to work for you this session! Working for the fearless freshman will always be one of my proudest accomplishments in politics.

Now I’m off to start my new job, Political Director for the Republican Party of Texas!

https://salaries.texastribune.org/employees/chad-c-shoemake-1152335/

https://texasscorecard.com/author/cshoemake/

Chad is a native of Victoria, Texas. After working in the private sector and in the Texas Capitol, Chad dedicated himself to making a contribution in the conservative movement in Texas. Hobbies include playing video games, watching movies, cooking a good steak, and going out to the shooting range.

40197104_10209675820412177_2664485435698

77004561_10212070162909243_8378880809607

13879352_10205166755848381_1435407533072

Edited by atomheartbevo

Wow, not shocked he works for a Republican pastor.  Probably gets his gay conversion therapy at a discount - out of his paycheck, post-tax of course.

Of course it's a district sandwiched between Dallas and the Louisiana border too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Chad is a native of Victoria, Texas. After working in the private sector and in the Texas Capitol, Chad dedicated himself to making a contribution in the conservative movement in Texas. Hobbies include playing video games, watching movies, cooking a good steak, and going out to the shooting range.

84702798_579370612644419_451662871131062

Manager at Moo Moo Drive-In
Victoria, Texas

1e9xnn.jpg

Pew Pew

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2021 at 5:18 PM, bolverk said:

For better or worse, our federal constitutional framework leaves educational policy at the state level. If I were to reform how instructional materials were handled, I'd probably not have a partisan education board selected through elections like we have now - not sure in the least how that's managed. It's kind of liked the fucked up system of electing judges and sheriffs, which should be reserved for another thread.

I'm not sure how you fix it though other than strip the SBOE from its power to pick books and have a failsafe in there to blunt the influence of folks who continue to elect these dimwits. I know that doesn't sound very democratic, but we're already seeing how local elections are becoming increasingly partisan and radicalized, because it takes so few votes and so little money, that we're electing fitlumps and Karens across the state.

My preference would be to have some sort of committee comprised of a mixture of higher education experts in their respective subject matter alongside public school teachers all selected by their peers to determine an appropriate curriculum done through the TEA and whatever its equivalent is at the higher ed level. I guess the SBOE could still be elected, but their oversight on curriculum would be diminished while still retaining their general administrative oversight capacity.

I dunno. It's the end of the day. I'm tired and am all out of ideas.

Well, with respect to NAIU and your experience with evolution, at least you still had the chapter in the textbook to read at your option.  Not sure high-school level evolution requires much pedagogy beyond reading the chapter.

I'm not defending any of it, but with the "ultra-local" control, at least you still had that.  With more centralized control, you might not have even gotten that.

The Lege is moving the Congressional maps, as drawn, to the floor.  The House committee chair allowed no amendments to even be brought up in committee - they are going to do it on the floor, just like the legislature maps.  

49 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That is the incel grifter poster child.

Junior had him pegged....

maxresdefault.jpg

"Only way you get some pussy, man, is if a bitch dies and wills it to you, and then, maybe."

I mean, I say it as a joke, but there's something to it, just like there is with a good chunk of the muslim extremist terrorists: more of these guys getting laid would make them much more chill, and make the world a peaceful place.  Dudes with no game and no chance, so a LOT of sexual frustration, turn fucking mean.

Moo Moo Drive inn for chicken gizzards. 

As someone who grew up in Victoria, it’s sad to see that the public schools are much more forgiving now post-deconsolidation. This fat fucker would’ve been lifted over the second story stairs at Memorial (Stroman) and made to squeal in 03-07.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, I say it as a joke, but there's something to it, just like there is with a good chunk of the muslim extremist terrorists: more of these guys getting laid would make them much more chill, and make the world a peaceful place.  Dudes with no game and no chance, so a LOT of sexual frustration, turn fucking mean.

62B9E8398D7B4CC7AC7D3467E9580AD8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Moo Moo Drive inn for chicken gizzards. 

As someone who grew up in Victoria, it’s sad to see that the public schools are much more forgiving now post-deconsolidation. This fat fucker would’ve been lifted over the second story stairs at Memorial (Stroman) and made to squeal in 03-07.

Whoa whoa whoa here.....they gots gizzards?  I may have to reconsider my initial take.....

Let’s just skip the preface and do what the Nazis did.  We’re 18 months away from mass book burnings in this country.  Let’s get the monsters out in the open. 

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Let’s just skip the preface and do what the Nazis did.  We’re 18 months away from mass book burnings in this country.  Let’s get the monsters out in the open. 

the problem, like modern warfare, is that the enemy doesn't wear a uniform so you know which one to shoot? modern nazis aren't wearing swastikas on their lapels anymore (at least not the actually dangerous ones). they have traded that in for an american flag pin and try to blend in instead of stand out. these are the people we have to fear most. not loonies like this lady (yet).

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If the Democrats were competent in Texas, they'd be making the Republicans publicly defend this, and they'd be hammering away at it.  If the media were better (outside of say Texas Tribune, Texas Monthly, a few newspapers), they'd be camped out making Republican legislators (and Abbott) answer questions, or show the viewers video of Republicans running (or rolling) away from the cameras as they are being asked "why do kids need to learn about the Nazi perspective?" "Why do kids need to learn about the plight of slave owners?"

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

the problem, like modern warfare, is that the enemy doesn't wear a uniform so you know which one to shoot? modern nazi's aren't wearing swastikas on their lapels anymore (at least not the actually dangerous ones). they have traded that in for an american flag pin and try to blend in instead of stand out. these are the people we have to fear most. not loonies like this lady (yet).

By the way, I'm not necessarily defending the lady, but given the location, she has a shitload of fucking Karens who are absolutely going to be pressuring her to make the district teach both sides, or suppress discussions of the Holocaust, slavery, etc.

She's clearly not happy with this at all, but she specifically calls out the bill that requires it.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

By the way, I'm not necessarily defending the lady, but given the location, she has a shitload of fucking Karens who are absolutely going to be pressuring her to make the district teach both sides, or suppress discussions of the Holocaust, slavery, etc.

She's clearly not happy with this at all, but she specifically calls out the bill that requires it.

fine, then pick something where there were two sides, like the Civil War. There were not two sides to the Holocaust.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Went from douchy, insurrection loving Dan to SJL. I’ll take it.

Sefronia Thompson wanted to make some changes to the Harris County section of the map, so we will have to see what floor amendments come up. 

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

FML this state is run by fucking morons.

Yeah.  The moron is the administrator.  Who is either dumb and cannot read or can read and making a dumb gotcha.  This is what the law says:

(h-2)  In the instruction of the essential knowledge and
     skills for the social studies curriculum, in applicable courses of
     Texas, United States, and world history, government, civics, social
     studies, or similar subject areas:
                  (1)  no teacher shall be compelled by a policy of any
     state agency, school district, campus, open-enrollment charter
     school, or school administration to discuss current events or
     widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy
     or social affairs;
                  (2)  teachers who choose to discuss current events or
     widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy
     or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to
     explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives
     without giving deference to any one perspective;

The holocaust does not apply.  This dumb bitch should be fired.