Bourbon

Jimbaround

8 hours ago, huge said:

If you dont care about paying out the ass you can always check out Sunnys on West Alabama.

But prepare your anus.

Next door to one my favorite sushi places in Houston, AKA. 

I dropped in at Sunny’s after a work dinner, and browsed the shelves. I think he wanted $100 for half bottle of Eagle Rare. I laughed all the way out of the store. 

@Fud I’d try Chalet Fine Wines & Liquors on West Gray. I wouldn’t low ball them. Just offer secondary and you should be good. 

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Next door to one my favorite sushi places in Houston, AKA. 

I dropped in at Sunny’s after a work dinner, and browsed the shelves. I think he wanted $100 for half bottle of Eagle Rare. I laughed all the way out of the store. 

@Fud I’d try Chalet Fine Wines & Liquors on West Gray. I wouldn’t low ball them. Just offer secondary and you should be good. 

I saw Antique once at Chalet for $200 and EC18 for $400

On 6/1/2021 at 11:03 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

There’s plenty of bottles to be found in that area that we don’t get or will never see here in Texas. Extremely unlikely you’re gonna find ETL or GTS, but saying you won’t find anything different up there than down here is 100% untrue.

i find nothing better in the liquor stores of kentucky than the liquor stores of texas.   allocation is allocation.   

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i find nothing better in the liquor stores of kentucky than the liquor stores of texas.   allocation is allocation.   

Well that really sucks.  I’m headed to Kentucky in two weeks.  Doing some distillery tours for two days and then the wife wants to go see some horse farms.  I had a fantasy where we would stop at some little grocery store in BfE and I’d find Pappy just sitting there on the shelf at msrp.   I might just cancel the trip all together.  No, I’m going anyway.  I will still have that crazy fantasy though.  

7 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Well that really sucks.  I’m headed to Kentucky in two weeks.  Doing some distillery tours for two days and then the wife wants to go see some horse farms.  I had a fantasy where we would stop at some little grocery store in BfE and I’d find Pappy just sitting there on the shelf at msrp.   I might just cancel the trip all together.  No, I’m going anyway.  I will still have that crazy fantasy though.  

If you could actually do that the traffic at the Louisville airport would increase by an order of magnitude.

• Haha 1

Hit the stores that aren’t directly on the interstates in small towns. I’ve had plenty of luck finding decent bottles on the shelves. Pappy, no. Others lower on the totem pole, yes. If nothing else, you can buy all the ER and BT you want. I picked up a GTS for a decent price and several other things close to retail on my last trip.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Abraham Bowman Limited Edition, Gingerbread #2 hit Houston today and sold out in a hurry. 10 years, 7 months old 110 proof. 

Does anybody know how limited the release is? I’d love to get another crack at it. 

I'm hoping some other Spec's locations get a case and I can snag one. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm hoping some other Spec's locations get a case and I can snag one. 

I made some calls at around 6 today. I’m not optimistic. 

I think we need to pass the hat to send the Virginia/Maryland guys on a distillery run. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

Oh. Hell. Yes.  This one is a banger.  I didn’t realize Lucky 13 was a single barrel rather than a batch like the Vaults trash.  This one is from Spec’s and at the highest range of the proofs for the 50 single barrels released.  It has those leather and cigar notes I love in MGP plus a cobbler/baking spice note.  Highly recommended at $10 more than I last paid for the more watered down and younger Rebecca Creek 12.  

2849C7C3-D18A-4268-B825-178C50F2101F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh. Hell. Yes.  This one is a banger.  I didn’t realize Lucky 13 was a single barrel rather than a batch like the Vaults trash.  This one is from Spec’s and at the highest range of the proofs for the 50 single barrels released.  It has those leather and cigar notes I love in MGP plus a cobbler/baking spice note.  Highly recommended at $10 more than I last paid for the more watered down and younger Rebecca Creek 12.  
2849C7C3-D18A-4268-B825-178C50F2101F.thumb.jpeg.f9c96a95e31977c6cad41c7ace282b5d.jpeg

So was this an accidental stumble? I barely see the 12. Was this the release from just this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

So was this an accidental stumble? I barely see the 12. Was this the release from just this week?

Yep, but they had about 12 sitting out. I haven’t seen a 12 yr barrel pick since last year either. 

2849C7C3-D18A-4268-B825-178C50F2101F.thumb.jpeg.f9c96a95e31977c6cad41c7ace282b5d.jpeg

Here’s the one the club I help manage did.
It’s fucking delicious
8065c9ea7cabbb8a1d5491edc4558cb2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Grab a pour of that M20 

It’s ok price. Maybe some other time. I’m having a flight of the Buffalo Trace Kosher whiskeys. 

I wanted to hate them because I can’t get them, but my goodness. Two thumbs up for Kosher Wheat and Kosher Rye. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I would take the ER 17 since I’ve never had it before and ER is my favorite everyday bourbon 

the maybe try the OF 150th anniversary because I celebrate their entire catalog 

150th is super meh.  Traded mine almost immediately and no regerts.  If you want something similar just grab an OFBS for 1/3 the price.  

Also, I hate that Whiskey Cake list because there’s no obvious winner in terms of value. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s ok price. Maybe some other time. I’m having a flight of the Buffalo Trace Kosher whiskeys. 

I wanted to hate them because I can’t get them, but my goodness. Two thumbs up for Kosher Wheat and Kosher Rye. 
Yeah I was mostly joking, good list there though with some things you don't see all that often.

2 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah I was mostly joking, good list there though with some things you don't see all that often.

The Booker’s 30 bottle is getting pretty low. Not sure if they have enough for another pour. 

Sazerac 18 at $60 was tempting. Not many value buys on the menu this visit. I guess those Sugarland dads are wearing those out. 

There’s a Pappy tasting dinner later this month that is pretty damned tempting.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, USCATX said:

150th is super meh.  Traded mine almost immediately and no regerts.  If you want something similar just grab an OFBS for 1/3 the price.  

Also, I hate that Whiskey Cake list because there’s no obvious winner in terms of value. 

OF150 at $43 was a head scratcher. Handy and Stagg are $45. That’s a pretty easy choice. 

RIP EHT Barrel Strength for $21. 

80107ca222d48709983cd128302b89a8.jpg

I believe this is NASA’s “A” barrel of the 9 year Sixth Street pick, and it’s pretty solid. I’m not crazy about their price point compared to similar products and the gimmicky bottles drive me nuts in a bad way, but I’m happy with the purchase.

21 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

I believe this is NASA’s “A” barrel of the 9 year Sixth Street pick, and it’s pretty solid. I’m not crazy about their price point compared to similar products and the gimmicky bottles drive me nuts in a bad way, but I’m happy with the purchase.

Our local club got one of those and it’s pretty damn good. I helped with the pick but haven’t cracked my bottle yet.  I really wish they’d use the square bottles like the distillery releases for the private barrels and leave that stupid shelf hog tater bottle for the shelf product.  

I thought about getting this on Thursday. Ended up getting some stuff Ehrine and some bowman.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Elmer will always have a special place in my heart, but it needs a higher proof. I'd love to try Elmer 100, but that's a pretty difficult bottle to get a hold of. It's still better than Eagle Rare and Blanton's, but I don't know if it's better than an Antique store pick. 

Had it at Moonshine.  It’s better than standard like Blanton’s Gold but it won’t blow your mind. 

As the official Surly Barrell Bourbon fan boy, I feel compared to share:

https://thebourbonculture.com/whiskey-reviews/barrell-bourbon-batch-029-review/

I think the guy behind this blog has a pretty solid palate, or at least one that seems to be largely consistent/similar with mine. Looks like batch 29 is worth scooping up if you're wanting to catch Barrell at their best.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, RichUT said:

As the official Surly Barrell Bourbon fan boy, I feel compared to share:

https://thebourbonculture.com/whiskey-reviews/barrell-bourbon-batch-029-review/

I think the guy behind this blog has a pretty solid palate, or at least one that seems to be largely consistent/similar with mine. Looks like batch 29 is worth scooping up if you're wanting to catch Barrell at their best.

But if this is like $86 and WJ Lucky 13 is $97 then what are you grabbing?  I haven’t had any of their batches since 14 so maybe I need to try again 

But if this is like $86 and WJ Lucky 13 is $97 then what are you grabbing?  I haven’t had any of their batches since 14 so maybe I need to try again 

Probably Barrell, but maybe both. Ultimately I crave variety over consistency. MGP is MGP. There are a few different mash bills and various ages, but the experience is generally consistent within those dimensions. Granted, it’s consistently very damn good.

Barrell is doing something unique by blending a set of components such that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That means that there will inevitably be batches that are a standard deviation or two from the baseline, but when you catch a great one it’s not something you are going to find elsewhere.

So I will have a day in or near Louisville in a couple of weeks. What distillery is a must visit? And I saw above that Kentucky liquor stores aren’t necessarily honey holes but can at least Eagle Rare be found? I miss my ER. Haven’t seen it in probably 2 years at least.

42 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So I will have a day in or near Louisville in a couple of weeks. What distillery is a must visit? And I saw above that Kentucky liquor stores aren’t necessarily honey holes but can at least Eagle Rare be found? I miss my ER. Haven’t seen it in probably 2 years at least.

Go to Heaven Hill and grab some old Fitz and you should be able to trade for a few ER.