Bourbon

Jimbaround

11 hours ago, After irth said:

Had some for the first time tonight. Heat and char upfront, but mellows into a nice caramel woodiness in the finish. Enjoyed it very much over the past two years. 

It’s so good.  Probably my favorite sub 100 proof bourbon I’ve had yet.  Also doesn’t hurt that it’s $16 for healthy pours at my neighborhood bar right now.  

I salute you fine gentlemen finding OFBB in the wild. One day I hope to join your distinguished club.

I don’t think OFBB really exists in the wild, except where someone accidentally sticks back room inventory up behind the counter. I bought mine at retail, but think that happens exclusively through relationships with store managers, because in general every bottle is spoken for before it even arrives.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:02 PM, ColoradoHorn said:

Anyone see the Basil Hayden 10 year in the wild yet??

Saw some bottles out here @ mission.

Before this bourbon craze took off, Costco had a 3-pak of Bookers, Bakers and Basil Hayden for $69....

Edited by otisdog

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

giphy.gif

You're really gonna roll your eyes when I tell you how I acquired 3 bottles in the first place. My wife threw me a big surprise party for my 40th this year and bought a ton of whiskey for it.  She didn't know anything about the OFBB but it had Birthday in the name and because she found out that the annual release date is actually her birthday, so she bought them.

Edited by Horn21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

You're really gonna roll your eyes when I tell you how I acquired 3 bottles in the first place. My wife threw me a big surprise party for my 40th this year and bought a ton of whiskey for it.  She didn't know anything about the OFBB but it had Birthday in the name and because she found out that the annual release date is actually her birthday, so she bought them.

giphy.gif

I was at Total Wine Mueller today, and they had a bottle of Woodford Masters Collection American Oak at the front, which I was looking at as a gift for somebody.
So I’m talking to the manager about it and he reaches down under the counter, produces a bottle of MidWinter Night’s Dram and says: “ this do anything for you?”

30 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

She also got: 2 bottles of a nice store pick ECBP.

That’s not a real thing.  

I’m working on some WT Decades Batch 02 and WT 101 8 year age stated tonight.  Both are great with the 101 winning on the nose and the Decades on the finish.  About the same on palate.  Spec’s has Decades for $90 through December and it’s a worthwhile pickup at that price.  

1 hour ago, Horn21 said:

And just to let @USCATX and @Whiskyteer know....imaginary barrel no. 5017755 tastes delicious.  You're welcome to try it sometime if you live in Austin.  But only if you have enough Christmas spirit to believe that it exists.

It has a small batch 94 proof label, right?  Probably lists the original barrel proof and age on the side label but unless I’m missing something it’s proofed down like every other ECSB store pick.  

Edited by USCATX

On 12/8/2018 at 7:26 PM, Horn21 said:

Speaking of Balcones, I am curious about these fellas. But at $85/$115, my curiosity will have to wait until someone tells me they're worth it.

Balcones-Brujeria-and-Hechiceros.jpg 

Buddy and I went to Balcones after the OU game last weekend. A few thoughts:

- I liked Balcones a lot more before my trip. Their blue corn bourbon, brimstone, single malt, and rum are all good stuff to me. However, almost everything we tried was not good at the distillery

- the rye was awful

- the brujeria was ok, but not worth $120

- hechiceros was the best thing i had there and I bought a bottle to bring home

- like i said, i love their blue corn bourbon, but their wheated bourbon was strange and nothing like the BC bourbon. Was hoping to buy a bottle of it to take home, but passed after trying it

- their egg nog cocktail was excellent, and their pricing was solid. Space was also tight

• Like 1