Which City Is The Next Austin?

Larry T. Spider

On 7/17/2021 at 11:15 AM, StassneyHorn said:

Said it before but Chattanooga has a lot of things going for it and is 2 hours away from a lot of fun weekend trips if you feel like getting out.

We thought about escaping California for Chattanooga but there's still too much crime and ghetto left. I grew up in the ghetto so I'm not going back. If Chattanooga ever fully gentrifies sky's the limit cause it's beautiful.

On 7/14/2021 at 11:13 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

Correct.  I’m not kidding when I say this but on a per square foot basis, Central Bentonville is the most expensive area between Chicago and the Park Cities in Dallas.  It’s just a tier below Central Austin, Park Cities, River Oaks, etc. to compare to other expensive non coastal markets.

It’s bizarre to say that but there’s a huge gold rush going on there right now.

My sister lives in Bentonville, and what I really don't like about the area is that it is 95% suburb. There is no real city center for the region, just a couple of town squares, and sprawl everywhere else. My guess is that the true old houses near the city centers are going for a ton of money based on limited supply. The rest of the area is suburban cul-de-sacs. I'm more intrigued with the region than I was 10 years ago, but I still don't think it is ever going to be an Austin/Nashville type area.  

53 minutes ago, ajax said:

We thought about escaping California for Chattanooga but there's still too much crime and ghetto left. I grew up in the ghetto so I'm not going back. If Chattanooga ever fully gentrifies sky's the limit cause it's beautiful.

Sometimes it's best to beat the gentrification right?  

On 7/17/2021 at 9:03 AM, Lobo said:

Yeah, its geographic isolation and uniqueness is both its biggest strength and biggest weakness.  You could definitely attract mid-career talent who would appreciate raising their family in an area like that.  But I don't see how you attract young talent who are looking for other amenities besides the outdoors.  Because as y'all said above, once you leave that area...it's the deep, backwards South in every direction.  Or worse, Oklahoma.  A 25 year old tech guru can only visit Branson ironically so many times before they opt for a hipper area.  And calling University of Arkansas an intellectual talent pool is ridiculous and we're not just saying that as Texas fans.  Baton Rouge isn't gonna be the next Austin because LSU and the Capital are there.  There's more to it than that, including brainpower (or lack thereof).  

But I do see NW Arkansas only growing more, and in a good way.  And I for one hope we get a non-stop flight to that are from ABIA for recreation purposes.  

People also overlook, Austin has had many growth periods.  But the current one, where Austin becomes tech, intellection, cultural, cool place to visit, great place to relocate, this "destination hub" that it is right now, this has been going on for about 20-25 years.  This current incarnation, it's taken 25 years of pivotal growth to get here.  So while I can't see some cities/areas becoming an Austin-like destination in the next few years, there are lesser-known places that could become Austin-esque in the next quarter century for sure.  I also think there are some dying American cities that could revitalize once and for all, and come roaring back as an Austin alternative in 20 years.  

That's fairly accurate.  If you're a single hipster and/or minority, NW Arky can be a tough sell.  (The immediate area isn't racist at all but there are very few minorities here so most of the ones that move here bolt at some point.)  For outdoorsy and/or married types, it's a different story.

Rural outpost, though.  Closest city is KC or Okie City if you consider them major markets.  Closest major market is Dallas and that's five hours away.

21 hours ago, 'stache said:

My sister lives in Bentonville, and what I really don't like about the area is that it is 95% suburb. There is no real city center for the region, just a couple of town squares, and sprawl everywhere else. My guess is that the true old houses near the city centers are going for a ton of money based on limited supply. The rest of the area is suburban cul-de-sacs. I'm more intrigued with the region than I was 10 years ago, but I still don't think it is ever going to be an Austin/Nashville type area.  

That's also fair.  Up until recently, the entire area has one giant suburb with no city with maybe central Fayetteville being the exception.  Central Bentonville is coming together along with central Fayetteville but there is no central part of the region like a city.  Most of the housing is cow pasture subdivisions, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 8:28 PM, Celery Man said:

If someone wants a business idea, figure out whichever of these cities doesn’t have a “Birds Barber Shop” and go start it up. It’s called Arrow in Raleigh and it’s the same exact thing all the way down to the free beer and the wait.

To hell with any barbershop that doesn't have taxidermied bass and deer heads from the 50's and 60's, 1970's era Playboy magazines out to peruse, and ivy creeping around the ceiling. 

• Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a few of the guys from The Sportsman from back then. It was still Bailey's Barbershop. The really old guy in on one of the middle chairs was Frost. Jim took over from Bailey when he retired. I think the guy near the window was Mike Ivy.

One Saturday morning, some dad brought his kid in who had taken scissors to his own hair. One of the other barbers exclaimed, "That looks like one of Frost's cuts."

Good times.

13 hours ago, Deej said:

I remember a few of the guys from The Sportsman from back then. It was still Bailey's Barbershop. The really old guy in on one of the middle chairs was Frost. Jim took over from Bailey when he retired. I think the guy near the window was Mike Ivy.

One Saturday morning, some dad brought his kid in who had taken scissors to his own hair. One of the other barbers exclaimed, "That looks like one of Frost's cuts."

Good times.

Yes Mr. Frost cut my hair when I was a kid.  I looked like shit.  There was also this guy:

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Deej said:

Good times.

There's a reason why it was called getting "Frosted"

• Hook 'Em 1