2021 ACL Fest - it’s back baby!

MidTexHorn

4 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Not doing ACL this year, got a trial to prep for next week and then OU the following weekend. Gonna go see Charley Crockett’s after show at Scoot Inn tomorrow night though (or pre show since he’s playing ACL Saturday) . First time to see him. 

Fucking lawyers. 

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

This is an understatement. Just get there early so you can get a good spot.

I went to the game for something like 9 or ten years running.  Then I had a conflict with ACL and ACL won out (must've been a good lineup because this year I may not have made the same decision...but that aside...).  I watched the game in the beer tent, and since then, I plan my ACL visit to coincide with TX/ou, because I watch the game and drink beer.  When that's done, it's usually time that the acts I want to see are going on.  It makes for a great day.

3 hours ago, HornPhD said:

What’s the deal with the flags?

I've sent my bannermen ahead of me to secure good stage viewing for House Lobo.  

Do you have a flag?

42 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Can you show a cell phone pic of your vax card or is hard copy required?

From the Chronicle (not sure if this means actual card or just a physical copy):  Fans will not be allowed to show vaccination or testing status on their phones. The fest guidelines state: "Each day, bring a printed copy of your negative COVID-19 test, vaccine card, or vaccine record." If you lost your vaccine card, the FAQ recommends getting a COVID-19 test. Results must include your name and date of the test, so at-home tests won't qualify.

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Their two fans will be disappointed.

Which is typically Michelle Valles, and the guy behind her staring at her ass.  So yeah, I'm bummed out.  

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Anyone know of there are any live streams of ACL Fest this year?  A quick google search turns up a number of pages saying there will be streams coming, but no actual streams listed. 

I was driving home from a clay shoot this afternoon and they were streaming some live on XM36. They were playing the very last song by some band named The Backseat Lovers and it rolled over into Machine Gun Kelly. Hard. Fucking. Pass.

2 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Will this thing go the way of the Aquafest?

You mean, like folding forever?  

I hope not.  If ACL lasts 36 years like AquaFest, I'd be pleased though.  Means 16 more years of it, enough for me to enjoy it a few years with my kids.  It's only getting more profitable, as are most music festivals around the world.  Now whether or not it stays as good/fun, that's up for debate. 

Listening to George Strait cover "You Wreck Me" from the front porch was pretty damn cool.  Jealous of y'all who got to go, seemed like other than the entry clusterfuck---it was a good day.  Perfect nightcap was my oldest coming down to ask us to turn off the upstairs A/C so she could hear ACL better from her bed.  

That was absolutely a huge shit show trying to get everyone in at 3p…understanding that the late start was going to cause a mass of humanity, and there was nothing they could do about it…it was still a clown orgy of a goat fuck.  Only time I really wished I’d had VIP

We parked and ate at Chuy’s, tried to get into the east Barton entrance and waited in the crush only to be told the west entrance wasn’t as busy and it was only five minutes away.  Well the crush was just as bad there so we just bulldozed our way into the front…not fair to everyone else but we weren’t going to wait an hour again.  They never checked our vaccine cards.  

All of Machine Gun Kelly’s songs sound the same to me

Black Pumas are incredible and I’m glad they didn’t pull a Lizzo by putting them on a big enough stage 

Watching Chet Faker one man band act from the railing at the beer tent, with the sun setting over the sea of people was the quintessential ACL experience 

George Strait isn’t my thing but I danced with my wife a bit, and his cover of Petty ‘You Wreck Me’ was pretty cool 

Park wasn’t too gross but I’m glad I wore my new cheap waterproof boots, there were some really soggy spots and it was nice to be able to cut through them

This lineup really does suck for 90% of the people I talked to…today I’ll see Missio, Modest Mouse (hopefully Brock isn’t 3 sheets like last time I saw them), Alison Wonderland and…that’s about the only people I give a shit about. 

The chick with the peace sign makes this pic I took   My buddy told me they were ‘stage right’ at Machine Gun, so I was looking stage right…turns out they were actually on the other side and my friend has no clue what stage left/right meant   

4FB4ED1A-6D34-4024-95FC-625C596D0A94.jpeg

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The Barton Creek East entrance security was checking ID’s to go with vax cards, and some of the bag checkers were inspecting like they were working at Fort Knox, so that didn’t help the 3pm crowd surge.

We didn’t care for the headliners, so we left after Black Pumas, who killed it.

Going back this morning when it opens at 11am to catch the TCU game in the craft beer tent.

Unrelated to actual music, is it me, or is the overall talent level down this year? Seems like a year and a half of a pandemic has gotten a lot of the women folk out of shape. Even my girlfriend was commenting about how so many of the 20-something women aren’t in good shape.

Edited by South Austin

13 hours ago, Lobo said:

Listening to George Strait cover "You Wreck Me" from the front porch was pretty damn cool.  Jealous of y'all who got to go, seemed like other than the entry clusterfuck---it was a good day.  Perfect nightcap was my oldest coming down to ask us to turn off the upstairs A/C so she could hear ACL better from her bed.  

This was fantastic.  Probably my 5th or 6th time to see George and he still sounds exactly the same.  Not a showman, but that's not the point.  He just gets up there and does his thing and what a band.

Getting into ACL from the Mopac side wasn't bad at all.  Wait, I mean, it was.  It was terrible.  No one should go that way.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I usually park in the state garages and take the shuttle down. I’m told Austin isn’t running that shuttle service this year. How are people getting to/from the park? Where are you parking?

For years we prepaid for Shady, $90 for the weekend. Set a reminder on my phone for early September and just signed up.  Naturally they folded so I found the email for someone at Chuys (same company) and she told me it’s $100 to park there for the weekend. 

PM if you want her email.  There’s an alley behind that dumps you onto Lamar, and it’s smooth sailing outta there.  

Im getting to the age where I prefer to pay extra to make it easy. And if it costs me $50+ more to park close, imma gonna do it. 

• Like 1

For years we prepaid for Shady, $90 for the weekend. Set a reminder on my phone for early September and just signed up.  Naturally they folded so I found the email for someone at Chuys (same company) and she told me it’s $100 to park there for the weekend. 

PM if you want her email.  There’s an alley behind that dumps you onto Lamar, and it’s smooth sailing outta there.  

Im getting to the age where I prefer to pay extra to make it easy. And if it costs me $50+ more to park close, imma gonna do it. 

Thanks, I’m interested. Drop me the email.

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This was fantastic.  Probably my 5th or 6th time to see George and he still sounds exactly the same.  Not a showman, but that's not the point.  He just gets up there and does his thing and what a band.

Getting into ACL from the Mopac side wasn't bad at all.  Wait, I mean, it was.  It was terrible.  No one should go that way.

this.  it was awful don't go to the Mopac side.  complete clusterfuck.  

George was great.  YOu Wreck Me was cool.  only disappointment was no Ft. Worth or Ocean Front.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Thanks, I’m interested. Drop me the email.

Done.  Check your PMs.  

Day 2 in the books.  

Security was a breeze at 1230.  They checked our vaccine info but bag check was easy, didn’t even give my chair bag the ole reach around. 

Grounds were improved, fewer serious wet spots and no pit of Sarlacc around the bars.  Overall attendance seemed really light until…

Alison Wonderland got Lizzo’d…it was insane at T-Mobile and one of those situations where you’d get overwhelmed if you weren’t experienced with big crowds there.  We knew to skirt the edges and ‘find the river’ to flow with, but we saw a lot of people with phone flashlights on trying to find their crew after a trip to the bathroom/bar.  Insane. 

Every show I’ve seen at the little stage across the road has been outstanding.  You gotta love having bars, food and toilets along with the ability to get up close to an emerging band.  Today it was Mob Rich (good) and Missio (AMAZING…serious shout out to whoever up-thread recommended them).  Few years ago we saw Royal Blood there too. Great idea to out a stage there. 

Modest Mouse was good.  Issac Brock wasn’t shit faced this time snd they did a great job alternating hits and songs that don’t get airplay.  Crowd was kinda small for a band I expected to be a big draw, and they played Float On early…which was a surprise but was happy to see there was no mass exodus afterwards.  Dashboard, Lampshades, Fire It Up, etc.  I left happy.  

Forgot my got damn water bottle…again.  Instead of paying $16 at the rip-off center that is the merch tent, I tipped a bartender $3 to give me a wine carafe.  Nailed it.  

On the way down we were jamming to X Ambassadors new song Beautiful Liar, and I dared to drive 70mph on Mopac toll lane…dude was tailgating me like a madman, flew around me on Chavez, yelling at me and shaking his fist, almost crashed into another car, got in line for that bullshit turn onto Lamar, hooked a u turn into traffic, jumped the curb before flying back westbound on C Chavez.  Musta been aggy…or realized he missed Asleep At The Wheel.  We just waved.  

Anyways, good day.  Any Surly/Shagsters wanna say hi, I’ll buy you a beer tomorrow.  PM me.  We always setup under a tree between the handicap viewing area and water tent on the south side between T Mobile and Ladybird.  

• Like 1

Saw so much under-butt that was heading to the Zilker Park driving home from the game today.  Now I can hear Greta Van Fleet bringing the mutha-fuckin' ruckus to the ladies.  Damn, I am kicking myself I didn't go this weekend as opposed to next weekend.  Weather was a bit of a factor, but then again---it always is.  Seems like a great time overall.  Jealous of y'all.  Gonna try to make it down there next weekend.  Tip your hat to Duran Duran for me tonight.