Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

I was right in the middle of all this today. Not surprised to hear the number at a million, I guessed easily 250k. Crowds I couldn’t believe.

Best sign I saw was “Pulling out won’t keep people from still coming.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Lol. She should be shitcanned anyway. Nothing passed today. Crash and burn Brexit will happen unless there is some better leadership.

8 brexit options all got voted down. In one day. Lol

You have to appreciate the monumental stupidity of how Brexit went down from the beginning.  We deserve a lot of shit for electing Trump but most of us weren’t 100% sure how it would work out.  The brits had a choice not to cut their own dick off and said, nah break out the chain saw! 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

44 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You have to appreciate the monumental stupidity of how Brexit went down from the beginning.  We deserve a lot of shit for electing Trump but most of use weren’t 100% sure how it would work out.  The brits had a choice not to cut their own dick off and said, nah break out the chain saw! 

Hmmmm.

• Like 1

Here's the wikipedia page about the projected economic effects of Brexit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_effects_of_Brexit

To me, it's notable that what the British get, to include sovereignty, control of their borders, reduced regulation, and large amounts of cash, is extremely tangible. All of the costs are projections. And many of those projections were proven wrong. The projections that were made about war and other forms of apocalypse have been shown to be pure fantasy.

The BBC reported on 28 April 2017 that property investment firm JLL (company) data shows Asian investors accounted for 28% of the transactions in the UK property market in 2016, up from the 17% the year before — indicating that Brexit is not dissuading Asian property investors.

On 5 January 2017, Andy Haldane, the Chief Economist and the Executive Director of Monetary Analysis and Statistics at the Bank of England, said that the BoE's own forecast predicting an immediate economic downturn due to the referendum result was inaccurate and noted strong market performance immediately after the referendum,[16][17][18] although some have pointed to prices rising faster than wages.[19] 

As I pointed out, and will point out again, and it's a point to which nobody will respond, the EU is a mutual suicide pact. They are culturally, economically, and demographically failing. The Brits want off the sinking ship, fine. It won't save them, but some of them see the problem, but they see it through a glass darkly.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Here's the wikipedia page about the projected economic effects of Brexit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_effects_of_Brexit

To me, it's notable that what the British get, to include sovereignty, control of their borders, reduced regulation, and large amounts of cash, is extremely tangible. All of the costs are projections. And many of those projections were proven wrong. The projections that were made about war and other forms of apocalypse have been shown to be pure fantasy.

As I pointed out, and will point out again, and it's a point to which nobody will respond, the EU is a mutual suicide pact. They are culturally, economically, and demographically failing. The Brits want off the sinking ship, fine. It won't save them, but some of them see the problem, but they see it through a glass darkly.

Brexit hasn't happened yet. Projections for what happens after Brexit have to wait until Brexit to be proven one way or the other. 

They will also lose cash, not gain it, and will be required to maintain EU style regulations if they want to trade with anyone nearby. 

And it's hilarious that you think foreigners buying up their real estate is evidence of some restored sovereignty. It's quite the opposite. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

On 5 January 2017, Andy Haldane, the Chief Economist and the Executive Director of Monetary Analysis and Statistics at the Bank of England, said that the BoE's own forecast predicting an immediate economic downturn due to the referendum result was inaccurate and noted strong market performance immediately after the referendum,[16][17][18]

Supporters of withdrawal argued that ending net contributions to the EU would allow for tax cuts or government spending increases.[6]On the basis of Treasury figures, in 2014 the United Kingdom's gross national contribution (ignoring the rebate) was £18.8 billion, about 1% of GDP, or £350 million a week. Because the UK receives (per capita) less EU spending than other member states, a rebate was negotiated; net of this rebate, the contribution was £14.4 billion, approximately 0.8% of GDP, or £275 million a week. If EU spending in Britain is also taken into account, the average net contribution for the next five years is estimated at about £8 billion a year, which is about 0.4% of national income, or £150 million per week.[8]

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/01/09/britain-will-not-face-medicine-shortage-after-brexit-confirms-nhs-ceo/

The Chief Executive of NHS England has confirmed that Britain should not face any shortages of medicine after Brexit, despite scaremongering by EU loyalists.

Asked if he could say “there won’t be any shortages of medicines” on the Today programme on BBC Radio 4, top administrator Simon Stevens confirmed that, “as the Health Secretary said… if everyone does what they are being asked to do, particularly around the transport and logistics infrastructure, then yes that will be the case [that there will be no shortages].”

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/02/13/carney-drops-project-fear-says-brexit-could-be-test-of-new-global-order/

Governor of the Bank of England Mark Carney has apparently abandoned the doomsday prophesies of the UK leaving the EU, saying that Brexit could “broaden the benefits of openness” and enhance “democratic accountability.”

Mr Carney made the comments during a speech at a Financial Times event on Tuesday, where he set out a positive vision of global free trade and e-commerce with the wider world that could benefit small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the UK.

Brexiteer and Chairman of the European Research Group (ERG) Jacob Rees-Mogg criticised Mr Carney in November after the governor claimed that a clean, no deal, Brexit would result in the UK experiencing a massive fall in GDP and a sharp rise in unemployment, despite leaked Bank of England staff minutes revealing that such predictions could be “misleading” and “against public interest.”

Now they’re so desperate they are roping in the royals.

According to the story:

The Queen and other senior royals will be evacuated from London in the event of riots triggered by a no-deal Brexit under secret plans being drawn up by Whitehall.

Oh yeah? So “secret” that a “Cabinet Office source” has felt compelled to get them splashed all over page one of Britain’s bestselling broadsheet newspaper.

If this really were a leak of any importance there would be an inquiry as to the whistleblower and heads would roll. But none of this will happen, of course, because a) the plan is not secret or important, and b) its only purpose is to generate scare-headlines like the one the Sunday Times has duly trotted out on behalf of the Remain propaganda machine.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/12/26/brexit-project-fears-best-scare-stories/

Britain Would Run out of Clean Drinking Water

Bureaucrats at Michael Gove’s Department for the Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) claimed that a No Deal Brexit could result in a shortage of chemicals required to purify drinking water, and that suppliers “would probably need to stop the water supply to all their customers — potentially millions of people” in short order.

Why being outside the EU’s Customs Union should have such a dramatic impact on a famously wet United Kingdom while countries such as Norway and landlocked Switzerland — both European countries outside the EU — seem unaffected was never made clear.

Cheese to Become an “Occasional Luxury”

Less serious — and still less credible — than the warnings over drinking water and medicine, was the idea that No Deal could see butter, yoghurt, and cheese could become “occasional luxuries” in Britain — a country which is a major producer of all three product varieties, and where they were staples long before EU (or EEC) membership.

“Brexit Threat to Sandwiches”

Evidently thinking food-related scare stories would have the most personal impact on the British public, the dairy shortage claims were followed by warnings of a “Brexit Threat to Sandwiches” reported by BBC business editor Simon Jack, citing a single unnamed source.

Sandwiches were, of course, invented in Britain long before the EU was ever heard of, at a time when the country was not just not in a customs union with Continental Europe, but actively at war with most of it.

Britain Could Run out of Mars Bars “Within Weeks”

Despite the sandwich famine story being roundly mocked by most observers, similar threats that No Deal could see Mars bars have been issued as Brexit Day looms.

This did not appear to have the desired effect either, however, with Boris Johnson speaking for many when he asked: “Are we really going to abandon Brexit because of a Mars bar shortage?”

Planes Will Be Banned from Irish Airspace

One of the more provocative No Deal threats was issued by the pugnacious Irish Taoiseach (prime minister), Leo Varadkar — despite the fact his country stands to lose more than any other EU member-state from Brexit.

This threat evaporated fairly quickly when it became apparent how many Irish flight paths have to cross British airspace, however.

“Almost More Damaging than the Second World War”

Finally, Sir Richard Branson, a vociferous billionaire anti-Brexiteer who lives outside the European Union on a private island, gave EU president Donald Tusk’s old 2016 warning that a Leave vote could mean “the end of Western political civilisation” a run for its money by claiming No Deal would be “more damaging to Great Britain than almost the Second World War”.

The Second World War saw almost 400,000 British servicemen killed in action, as well as close to 70,000 civilians including women and children slain, many in the indiscriminate bombing campaign conducted by the Luftwaffe during the Blitz and the later V1 and V2 rocket bombardments.

Turns out THEY'RE NOT running out of toilet paper. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1103502/brexit-news-latest-no-deal-stockpile-toilet-roll-paper-odds-vote-today-theresa-may-uk-eu

Now keep in mind when you hear these predictions, some insist it's actually going to be worse than this. So when Branson said it would be more damaging than the second world war, some think it even worse than that. Indeed they insist, it's even worse than no toilet paper.

I'll state for the record, again, the Brits are doomed either way. But it's fascinating to watch.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/01/09/britain-will-not-face-medicine-shortage-after-brexit-confirms-nhs-ceo/

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/02/13/carney-drops-project-fear-says-brexit-could-be-test-of-new-global-order/

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/12/26/brexit-project-fears-best-scare-stories/

Turns out THEY'RE NOT running out of toilet paper. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1103502/brexit-news-latest-no-deal-stockpile-toilet-roll-paper-odds-vote-today-theresa-may-uk-eu

Now keep in mind when you hear these predictions, some insist it's actually going to be worse than this. So when Branson said it would be more damaging than the second world war, some think it even worse than that. Indeed they insist, it's even worse than no toilet paper.

I'll state for the record, again, the Brits are doomed either way. But it's fascinating to watch.

Why would they run out of toilet paper yet?  Again, they are currently full fledged members of the EU. 

A bunch of Breitbart propaganda is meaningless. 

8 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Why would they run out of toilet paper yet?  Again, they are currently full fledged members of the EU. 

You think the Governor of the Bank of England is a Breitbart propagandist? The people who do security for the Queen are Breitbart propagandists? Richard Branson is a Breitbart propagandist? What on earth are you talking about?

Edited by Thetexashammer

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

You think the Governor of the Bank of England is a Breitbart propagandist? The people who do security for the Queen are Breitbart propagandists? Richard Branson is a Breitbart propagandist? What on earth are you talking about?

Mostly I think you don't understand that Brexit has not happened yet. 

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Mostly I think you don't understand that Brexit has not happened yet. 

That wasn't your statement.

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

That was your statement. I will repeat mine.

Where is the propaganda you described? I'll hang up and listen. I provided you with a list of quotations. You alleged they were Breitbart propagandists. Please defend your statement.

You're stating they haven't left yet. So I won't put words in your mouth, but you're saying you believe they'll run out of toilet paper when they Brexit? Sandwiches become a luxury? Life saving medications evaporate? Please explain which prediction you support.

Edited by Thetexashammer

3 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

That wasn't your statement.

That was your statement. I will repeat mine.

Where is the propaganda you described? I'll hang up and listen. I provided you with a list of quotations. You alleged they were Breitbart propagandists. Please defend your statement.

No, I alleged whatever bullshit spin articles you posted are propaganda. They are. I don't read Breitbart bullshit. Don't care who they misquote. 

And for the 3rd time, I assert that you don't realize that the UK is still in the EU right now. You thought they were out at the referendum in fact. You'll find that assertion in every post to you. 

Go back to your bunker. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

No, I alleged whatever bullshit spin articles you posted are propaganda. They are. I don't read Breitbart bullshit. Don't care who they misquote. 

And for the 3rd time, I assert that you don't realize that the UK is still in the EU right now. You thought they were out at the referendum in fact. You'll find that assertion in every post to you. 

Go back to your bunker. 

You are restating my point. Mark Carney is not a Breitbart propagandist. Richard Branson is not a Breitbart propagandist.

Bureaucrats at Michael Gove’s Department for the Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) claimed that a No Deal Brexit could result in a shortage of chemicals required to purify drinking water, and that suppliers “would probably need to stop the water supply to all their customers — potentially millions of people” in short order.

Michael Gove is not a Breitbart propagandist. So explain why their prediction that Britain will run out of water will come true? It's completely absurd fear mongering, but you are saying it's real. You aren't making sense. 

Project fear predicted war, famine, pestilence and economic apocalypse. They're all now saying those predictions were wrong. You're saying they were right, even though the people who are in charge said they were wrong? You aren't making sense.

Do you think Breitbart fabricated the Richard Branson quote? Did they fabricate they Mark Carney quotes? I can provide thousands of links, those quotes were widely reported. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

3 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

You are restating my point. Mark Carney is not a Breitbart propagandist. Richard Branson is not a Breitbart propagandist.

Michael Gove is not a Breitbart propagandist. So explain why their prediction that Britain will run out of water will come true? It's completely absurd fear mongering, but you are saying it's real. You aren't making sense. 

Project fear predicted war, famine, pestilence and economic apocalypse. They're all now saying those predictions were wrong. You're saying they were right, even though the people who are in charge said they were wrong? You aren't making sense.

Nobody is saying the predictions are wrong. They are saying Brexit hasn't happened yet. The issue is that you really don't understand that because you think the referendum was Brexit itself. Even May's deal is barely brexit if it ever passes. 

Do you not understand that the UK is an island nation that is not self sufficient with a declining manufacturing base, and whose economy relies heavily on financial services?  They have barely any negotiating leverage. 

The only way Brexit doesn't end in disaster is if they remain in the customs and labor union. Fake Brexit if you will.  But that won't get the brown people ban that you, Breitbart, and Farage desire. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Nobody is saying the predictions are wrong. They are saying Brexit hasn't happened yet. The issue is that you really don't understand that because you think the referendum was Brexit itself. Even May's deal is barely brexit if it ever passes. 

Allow me to summarize. A bunch of people who make apocalyptic predictions have stated they were wrong, the bad things won't happen. Your position is that they will indeed happen? Despite the fact that the people who predicted those things now deny their very own predictions?

Your position is that vital medicines will become short, water will run dry, cheese will become an "occasional luxury"?

Edited by Thetexashammer

2 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Allow me to summarize. A bunch of people who make apocalyptic predictions have stated they were wrong, the bad things won't happen. Your position is that they will indeed happen? Despite the fact that the people who predicted those things now deny their very own predictions?

Brexit has not happened yet. You really need to understand that first and foremost. 

Breitbart spin stories are irrelevant. Perhaps if you read what Carney actually said from an actual news source, you would understand his views better. Breitbart, of course, only prints the sugar he tries to put on a shit sandwich, and tries to pretend the shit sandwich doesn't exist.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-boe-carney/bank-of-englands-carney-warns-uk-of-no-deal-brexit-hit-idUSKCN1Q11JO

“We shouldn’t be under any illusions,” Carney said, answering audience questions after a speech at a Financial Times event. “A no-deal, no-transition Brexit would be an economic shock for this economy ... and it would also send a signal globally about the prospects of refounding globalization.”

But a no-deal Brexit would hit living standards in Britain, at least in the short term, and a fall in the value of the pound would not solve the economy’s problems as suggested by some Brexit supporters

“That’s part of the necessary adjustment mechanism but it is not a step to prosperity. It is a hit to income,” Carney said.

12 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Your position is that vital medicines will become short, water will run dry, cheese will become an "occasional luxury"?

If medicines that are not manufactured in the UK are not stockpiled, yes. If chemicals needed for water potability are not manufactured in the UK, yes. Cheese, I guess they'll have cheddar. 

Can they buy these things under WTO rules from the EU? Yes. Can they afford to after the pound collapses? Nope. 

11 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Do you not understand that the UK is an island nation that is not self sufficient with a declining manufacturing base, and whose economy relies heavily on financial services?  They have barely any negotiating leverage.

Narrator: He doesn't.

Here is the fundamental position of the Leave supporters, like Texashammer:

Predictions of any negative effects are bullshit, because they are prospective, and nobody knows what will really happen, so they should be disregarded.

Predictions of positive effects are not only accurate, but they are foundational truths that make leaving the EU the only sane option.

Yep, nothing but truth from the Leave contingent:

brexit-bus-e1511953625149.jpg

• Like 1

wow £350 million a week how can they pass that up:

The economy is now 2% smaller than it would have been if the United Kingdom had chosen to remain in the bloc, according to the Bank of England. The economic output lost since the referendum is worth about £800 million ($1 billion) per week, or £4.7 million ($6 million) per hour.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/22/business/brexit-uk-economic-damage/index.html