Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

These results didn’t include Northern Ireland and Scotland?   So the posts showing the UK results were a partial result.  Ridiculous.

I think it was just parts of those regions that had not finalized their totals.  It looks like the final totals are now in.  Per the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/news/topics/crjeqkdevwvt/the-uks-european-elections-2019

The results didn't change appreciably from what was reported earlier.  Brexit party took 45% of UK's MEP positions with 31% of the vote.

What I find perplexing about the whole Brexit process is that everyone seems to agree that if the referendum was held again, it's most likely that the Remain side would win especially given the mess over the last 2 years.

I think their original mistake was declaring that a simple majority will decide the Brexit decision.  For a country to decide on a major change, there bar should be between a 60 to 75% majority.  Similar to how we have a high bar for a constitutional amendment in the US.  Force the country to strongly align on one side before you can declare a change.  Yes it can create a scenario where a majority is denied, but this actually a good value to prevent the tyranny of the majority.

• Like 1

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/boris-johnson-trial-brexit-court-lying-prosecution-nhs-vote-leave-a8934451.html

Boris Johnson is to go on trial for allegedly “lying and misleading the British public” about the consequences of Brexit.

A judge summonsed the Conservative MP to appear in court after a member of the public launched a private prosecution over claims that the cost of EU membership was £350m a week.

Tories having a hard time finding hard time replacing Theresa May because they've all done drugs in the past: cocaine, opium etc... And cannabis lassi? I didn't even know that was a thing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48564722

It's funny seeing my generation wash up onto the beaches of power.

I wonder how long the Americans will continue with the ridiculous and expensive drug war, when pretty much the entire body politic has done illicit/illegal drugs at some point in their lives?

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not all of them. 

Ehhhh

They voted for Brexit, kept the Tories in power by putting up the other choice as Corbyn, refused to re-vote and then chose Discount Trump to lead them.

Fuck them. 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ehhhh

They voted for Brexit, kept the Tories in power by putting up the other choice as Corbyn, refused to re-vote and then chose Discount Trump to lead them.

Fuck them. 

Everyone who didn't do any of those things doesn't deserve this anymore than I deserve Trump. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

So make it happen, Boris. You wanted it, you got it, so just fucking do it. JFC, is having stupid hair required to lead stupid people?

Wait until you see the wig Joe Biden walks out in at the next debate. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cameron was an idiot to start a tradition of 50% referendums to decide long reaching changes. 

Yup. Non binding referendums treated like they are hard and fast law. And then a very poorly written one at that, of course. "Do you want an extra hour of class time or free ice cream and recess?"

I foresee many embarrassing events in UK near future. Boris said no UK intervention in Iran if the US does something. I can appreciate that sentiment from Boris.

Of course that was before the Brits started losing tankers.

I spent an interesting 8 days in London at the end of June and one thing I learned from talking to the people I met (random people at the hotel, bars and uber drivers so take that demographic/sample size into consideration) was that Brexit is cool and good and also, surprisingly, that they want to get rid of the royal family business. They think why is a ceremonial and powerless family getting all these cool concessions and tax-free living the good life for no reason when they aren't even the power. Just for tradition? Bullocks.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

The rest of the world must think English-speaking countries have all gone mad.

The rest of the world would be right.

Oh, and from my interactions with folks from a variety of countries the past couple of years, yes, that's exactly what they're thinking.  Because they aren't insane, and can see what's happening in the light of day.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

The rest of the world would be right.

Oh, and from my interactions with folks from a variety of countries the past couple of years, yes, that's exactly what they're thinking.  Because they aren't insane, and can see what's happening in the light of day.

I work for a company with offices around the world.  It was founded in France and our HQ is now in the U. S.   I work w/ a lot of different nationalities and, without exception, the ones who've broached this subject w/ me are perplexed and more than a little concerned....down right scared. 

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

also, surprisingly, that they want to get rid of the royal family business. They think why is a ceremonial and powerless family getting all these cool concessions and tax-free living the good life for no reason when they aren't even the power. Just for tradition? Bullocks.

That's certainly understandable. What a fucking racket that group has going. 

HBO has been showing a dystopian BBC miniseries set from the year 2024 through sometime in the 2030s where the UK elects a know-nothing nationalist played by Emma Thompson and Trump's second term is followed by Pence. While it takes quite a few short-cuts (only six episodes total) to get there and panders too much to a liberal audience, it's quite effective in raising the alarm (rightly) about the direction we're going and certainly my level of anxiety. It seems that reality has accelerated the timeline a bit now.

The last episode airs next Monday if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Welp, here’s to a no deal Brexit, because that will be the only outcome - achieved by default. You think the EU is putting a new deal on the table for Boris fucking Johnson? If so, ive got a degree to Trump University I’d like to sell you 

And that no-deal Brexit might just be what sends the global economy into the overdue recession.