Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I was also just totally in the UK.  EVERYONE was talking about how much they love Brexit.  So much so, they all voted for the Tories in the last snap election, but it was bullshit fake votes and illegal voters who gave Labour all those new seats.  And let me tell you, they were also talking about how everyone in London loves Trump.  It's true.  Those protests?  Bussed in people from California.  And don't even get me started on how random strangers would come up to me and like "can you believe John Podesta and the DNC refused to give their servers to the FBI and CIA? VERY SUSPICIOUS AND DISGRACEFUL!" 

You forgot the part where everyone also raved about College Station and the incredible hospitality they experienced. They kept asking ..."Does the rest of America even realize the Station is literally heaven on earth?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, zork said:

Nope, according to the Surly braintrust above their money is ethno racist and not wanted here.  Idiots.  It isn't helping them only, it is selling them our goods. The natural flow of trade with the EU will come back when their panties are un-wadded.  I estimated +/- 6 months and likely less unless there is an edict that says no trade with UK.  In that case the US gets a bigger better deal for longer.

What I believe will have zero effect on Brexit.  It is going to happen, we might just as well take advantage of the butt-hurt EU response.  

The UK has been a great ally.  Brexit doesn't change that in my opinion.

You are dumber than a bag of hammers. You have no place at the big kids table. Go back to texaggy.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

You are dumber than a bag of hammers. You have no place at the big kids table. Go to texaggy.

So you predict mass pain for the Brits after Brexit?  Disagreement is not stupidity necessarily.  It is seemingly more clear than in a long time that Brexit is going to happen.  Just because you think that sucks is just your opinion.

I'm a UT grad so I won't be logging on to texaggy.  I do read it for entertainment purposes, mainly schadenfreude when they are losing.  I've been on Texas websites since about 1996-97, get off my lawn,  clinteastwood.gif .

2 hours ago, Gladeite said:

Not a politician but spend a couple of weeks in UK last month.  Every Uber driver, restaurant worker, hotel employee and UK citizen I talked to was pro Brexit.  The immigration into the country is bankrupting the country.  The social services cannot handle the influx of new immigrants.  UK has very strict immigration laws and leaving EU will allow them to revert back to their own system of handling immigration.  Every article I read and protest I watched seemed to be of immigrants not wanting to register for visas or go back to their country of origin.  

The number of deep political conversations I have had with random restaurant workers, hotel employees, Uber drivers, etc in foreign countries?  Yep, zero and I have lived overseas for 16 years.

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm not asking that we guarantee the UL anything either. But it seems from some folks that they want to guarantee them nothing. 

Nobody is saying that.  We are saying that they have very little leverage to get a favorable trade deal with us or with the EU.  They need a free life line.  Some people would like to give them one.  Others, like me, would let them sink or swim on their own.

That being said, we do use economic sanctions and trade all the time to encourage certain behaviors in other countries.  I don't think Brexit alone is a tipping point that requires punitive action, but one will probably come eventually.  It is pretty apparent that the UKIP offshoots and Johnson's wing of the Tories aren't too interested in making sure UK citizens from South Asia are happy in the new UK.  Preventing new entries is just phase 1.  Phase 2 is getting rid of the ones that are already there.  In fact, much is already quietly being done to encourage people with other options to "move back" to the countries of their ancestors.  When you couple that with the coming Ireland clusterfuck, you have a recipe for a human rights disaster.

The "its not about immigrants" folks have already been caught in the lie.  They openly desire every single thing that the EU provides except labor movement.  They are even willing to let Ireland go into civil war to make sure that no EU citizens can sneak in through the Irish border back door.  

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The number of deep political conversations I have had with random restaurant workers, hotel employees, Uber drivers, etc in foreign countries?  Yep, zero and I have lived overseas for 16 years.

I had a couple on our last trip overseas.  It was in a situation where we had some time with the person -- so one was a waiter at a cafe when it was slow, and we got chatty, the other was a cab driver.  Both, when finding out we were Americans (and particularly in the case of the cab driver, who was bitching about local corruption in Berlin), asked variations of "so....Trump...what's the deal?", and when we explained that we are ashamed that he's our president, each of them agreed.  The cab driver even commented that now we know what corruption is really like.  Of course, the cabbie was a greek immigrant to Germany.  The waiter was ethnic german, though.

22 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The other funny thing is that the 3 professions he chose to reference aren't typically staffed by UK citizens.

At any rate, the UK already controlled its own immigration for non-EU citizens.  None of those Syrian refugee German residents can enter the UK right now based on their German residence.  They aren't German citizens.  The UK always had border controls.  All the Indians, Pakistanis, and Arabs that UKIP and BNP hate entered under UK immigration law, not EU immigration law, even if they entered yesterday.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

The other funny thing is that the 3 professions he chose to reference aren't typically staffed by UK citizens.

At any rate, the UK already controlled its own immigration for non-EU citizens.  None of those Syrian refugee German residents can enter the UK right now based on their German residence.  They aren't German citizens.  The UK always had border controls.  All the Indians, Pakistanis, and Arabs that UKIP and BNP hate entered under UK immigration law, not EU immigration law, even if they entered yesterday.

Shhhh.... facts have no place in ethnonationalist masturbatory fantasies.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gladeite said:

Not a politician but spend a couple of weeks in UK last month.  Every Uber driver, restaurant worker, hotel employee and UK citizen I talked to was pro Brexit.  The immigration into the country is bankrupting the country.  The social services cannot handle the influx of new immigrants.  UK has very strict immigration laws and leaving EU will allow them to revert back to their own system of handling immigration.  Every article I read and protest I watched seemed to be of immigrants not wanting to register for visas or go back to their country of origin.  

I can see that UK citizens think that EU immigrants are bankrupting the country but I've read the facts don't back that up. Overall its a net benefit.  But it was always known that the EU citizens would flow into countries that have more economic opportunity.

The UK still has enforceable laws about non-EU immigrants. When Syrian residents poured into the Europe, they didn't have free rein to settle wherever they wanted especially the UK.

finally the UK needs immigrants as they're getting older quickly.  that's what will ultimately bankrupt them as there are fewer young people to pay for the olds.

24 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Yeah....because working class folks drinking too much and being rowdy in the streets TOTALLY didn't happen before some eastern europeans showed up....

article-1182373-04F2DA5A000005DC-764_634

o-DRUNK-SYNONYMS-570.jpg?5

So you predict mass pain for the Brits after Brexit?  Disagreement is not stupidity necessarily.  It is seemingly more clear than in a long time that Brexit is going to happen.  Just because you think that sucks is just your opinion.
I'm a UT grad so I won't be logging on to texaggy.  I do read it for entertainment purposes, mainly schadenfreude when they are losing.  I've been on Texas websites since about 1996-97, get off my lawn,  clinteastwood.gif .

I seem to be in complete disagreement with financial markets.

I think Hard crash Brexit is almost guaranteed at this point. However according to my friend who lives/breathes the bond market...less than 50% chance of hard Brexit is priced in.

I don’t think the UK faces an economic meltdown. Rather I think their withdrawal from the European single market will create drag on long term growth. Whatever bilateral trading deals the UK negotiates will be worse than what they have today. So long term, GDP growth will be less than remaining in EU. How that plays out over a 5 to 10 year period is anybody’s guess at this point.

I don’t have any material assets invested in the UK markets. If I did, I would get them out. I do think the pound sterling will continue to devalue significantly post Hard Brexit.

I don’t think the US government has any role in guaranteeing any trade with UK in the short run. Let individual actors sort any supply chain shifts needed and let profit be the motivation. I am sure the US will continue to trade with the UK...at price points attractive to businesses.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, swraith said:

I seem to be in complete disagreement with financial markets.

I think Hard crash Brexit is almost guaranteed at this point. However according to my friend who lives/breathes the bond market...less than 50% chance of hard Brexit is priced in.

I don’t think the UK faces an economic meltdown. Rather I think their withdrawal from the European single market will create drag on long term growth. Whatever bilateral trading deals the UK negotiates will be worse than what they have today. So long term, GDP growth will be less than remaining in EU. How that plays out over a 5 to 10 year period is anybody’s guess at this point.

I don’t have any material assets invested in the UK markets. If I did, I would get them out. I do think the pound sterling will continue to devalue significantly post Hard Brexit.

I don’t think the US government has any role in guaranteeing any trade with UK in the short run. Let individual actors sort any supply chain shifts needed and let profit be the motivation. I am sure the US will continue to trade with the UK...at price points attractive to businesses.

The United Kingdom imported US$673.1 billion worth of goods from around the globe in 2018. That metric reflects a -3.1% drop since 2014 but a 5% uptick from 2017 to 2018.

UK’s imports represent 5% of total global imports which totaled an estimated $17.788 trillion one year earlier during 2017.

From a continental perspective, well over half (59.3%) of United Kingdom’s total imports by value in 2018 were purchased from fellow European countries (compared to 52.5% from the European Union). Asian trade partners supplied 22% of import purchases by Britain while 12.2% originated from North America. Smaller percentages came from Africa (2.9%), Latin America (1.2%) including the Caribbean but excluding Mexico, then Oceania (0.8%) led by Australia and New Zealand.

The following product groups represent the highest dollar value in United Kingdom’s import purchases during 2018 at the two-digit Harmonized Tariff System code level. Also shown is the percentage share each product category represents in terms of overall imports into United Kingdom.

1. Machinery including computers: US$87 billion (12.9% of total imports)
  2. Vehicles: $75.1 billion (11.2%)
  3. Electrical machinery, equipment: $69 billion (10.3%)
  4. Mineral fuels including oil: $66.9 billion (9.9%)
  5. Gems, precious metals: $40.2 billion (6%)
  6. Pharmaceuticals: $30.3 billion (4.5%)
  7. Plastics, plastic articles: $19.5 billion (2.9%)
  8. Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $18.8 billion (2.8%)
  9. Articles of iron or steel: $12.1 billion (1.8%)
  10. Furniture, bedding, lighting, signs, prefab buildings: $11.8 billion (1.8%)

http://www.worldstopexports.com/united-kingdoms-top-10-imports/

Where is the pain that can't be replicated elsewhere, till the butthurt is gone?  

Edited by zork
added link
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Gladeite said:

Were you there with your Canadian girlfriend?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can see that UK citizens think that EU immigrants are bankrupting the country but I've read the facts don't back that up. Overall its a net benefit.  But it was always known that the EU citizens would flow into countries that have more economic opportunity.

The UK still has enforceable laws about non-EU immigrants. When Syrian residents poured into the Europe, they didn't have free rein to settle wherever they wanted especially the UK.

finally the UK needs immigrants as they're getting older quickly.  that's what will ultimately bankrupt them as there are fewer young people to pay for the olds.

Who says immigration will stop? 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

wtf are you talking about?

Trade relations pain due to emotional Brexit feelings and actions is the butthurt that will exist till the pressure to allow trade to resume happens  due to logistics costs, lost profit, etc. 

UK buys and sells a fairly significant amount of stuff.  (not yuge anymore, but first world for sure)  The uncertainty of what Brexit will mean is clouding the mostly nothingness of trade eventualities that likely will be after it settles.  Or USA, other providers of goods will fill the gaps.  

The US/UK relationship should naturally strengthen due to the allied history between them.  It is possible that with Warren as PotUS she will hold the treatment of Pocahontas against them.

• Fuck You 1

trade isn't ending it'll just happen under WTO rules (and that goes for all countries trading the with UK, not just EU countries) assuming no deal brexit happens.  there's not an embargo being put in place.

Edited by elfenix

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

trade isn't ending it'll just happen under WTO rules assuming no deal brexit happens.  there's not an embargo being put in place.

It's okay.  Zork is just laying the predicate that the moron nationalists have to lay.  See, when Brexit results in a significant setback to the UK, it won't be because of Brexit....nope.  It will be because of a "butthurt" global conspiracy to "punish" the UK.

Nevermind the fact that what you say is absolutely true.  There will still be plenty of trade with the UK.  It will just have to go through the logistical and cost hurdles that exist outside of the EU arrangement.  Which will have a negative impact on the UK.  Which the Zorks of the world will blame on a "butthurt" "globalist' conspiracy.

It's an ironclad rule of ethnonationalists - nothing is ever, ever, their fault.  All of their plans would bring about an aryan utopia, if it weren't for those meddling (((kids))).  That they are aligned with "the party of personal responsibility" is one of the biggest laughers in the age of laughers.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's okay.  Zork is just laying the predicate that the moron nationalists have to lay.  See, when Brexit results in a significant setback to the UK, it won't be because of Brexit....nope.  It will be because of a "butthurt" global conspiracy to "punish" the UK.

Nevermind the fact that what you say is absolutely true.  There will still be plenty of trade with the UK.  It will just have to go through the logistical and cost hurdles that exist outside of the EU arrangement.  Which will have a negative impact on the UK.  Which the Zorks of the world will blame on a "butthurt" "globalist' conspiracy.

It's an ironclad rule of ethnonationalists - nothing is ever, ever, their fault.  All of their plans would bring about an aryan utopia, if it weren't for those meddling (((kids))).  That they are aligned with "the party of personal responsibility" is one of the biggest laughers in the age of laughers.

So you are saying there won't be much difference pre/post Brexit?  I'm not commenting on what is best for me because Brexit, no Brexit won't affect me one iota, or almost not an iota here in DFW, Texas.  The zorks of the world are generally called joe six pack.  We take care of our jobs, our family, watch football, go to HEB if it is open to grab a 12 pack.(or whatever store in DFW)  We watch the news or read about it on the internet these days.  Go to kid activities.  Go to dinner a few times a month.  Maybe a vacation once a year, this year was stay-cation.  That's about it.  Of course this isn't about me though.  

1 minute ago, zork said:

So you are saying there won't be much difference pre/post Brexit?  I'm not commenting on what is best for me because Brexit, no Brexit won't affect me one iota, or almost not an iota here in DFW, Texas.  The zorks of the world are generally called joe six pack.  We take care of our jobs, our family, watch football, go to HEB if it is open to grab a 12 pack.(or whatever store in DFW)  We watch the news or read about it on the internet these days.  Go to kid activities.  Go to dinner a few times a month.  Maybe a vacation once a year, this year was stay-cation.  That's about it.  Of course this isn't about me though.  

Joe six pack in DFW, just hanging with the kids and going out to eat every now and then at the local Applebee’s. 

God I admire you.

24 minutes ago, zork said:

So you are saying there won't be much difference pre/post Brexit? 

Jesus.  You really are as dumb as we think you are.  That's pretty impressive.  

I literally said: "There will still be plenty of trade with the UK.  It will just have to go through the logistical and cost hurdles that exist outside of the EU arrangement."

See, that bolded part is what we folks who speak a language call "a difference."

You're commenting about your fantasy world -- where pure-bred white folk kick out the undesirables, which will transform their island into the utopia it would be, were it not for "those people."  It's ethnonationalist porn -- you aren't doing the fucking, you're just watching a video of someone else doing the fucking and imagining how awesome it would be if it was you doing it.

But it's all a fucking fantasy.  The reality you dream of doesn't and won't exist.  But that won't stop you from thinking that "THIS TIME, it really WILL create a utopia," over and over again.  Because the last thing in the world "Joe six-pack" will do is take ANY responsibility for his own lot in life.  Nope.  The reason that Joe six-pack isn't living high on the hog is because of....well, you know.....those people.  And when the magical cure he dreamed of doesn't work....well, it's not because the cure was a fucking stupid idea from the get-go.  Nope.  It's because some evil outsiders interfered with THE PERFECT PLAN.

I envy you.  The weight that you don't carry on your shoulders because you take no responsibility for your own fate, and the sense of freedom that comes from being too damned stupid to figure out the simplest things....shit, it must be blissful.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I think it depends on the person. I couldn't get the French to shut up about politics some days. "I don't care about ze Georges Bousch, I just want ze coffee." But while there I made friends with the Moroccans, who saved me from getting jumped by the big Iraqi. Then there were those two deported day-drunk deadbeat dad Mexican dudes in that bar in Armeria that thought they'd have fun talking about how Osama bin Laden was a great man. What fun. Your wives you deserted back in the States are pronging Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I think it depends on the person. I couldn't get the French to shut up about politics some days. "I don't care about ze Georges Bousch, I just want ze coffee." But while there I made friends with the Moroccans, who saved me from getting jumped by the big Iraqi. Then there were those two deported day-drunk deadbeat dad Mexican dudes in that bar in Armeria that thought they'd have fun talking about how Osama bin Laden was a great man. What fun. Your wives you deserted back in the States are pronging Vic Mackey

Like you could even know that their wives weighed three bills.  I'm calling bullshit on your story.  BULLSHIT, I say.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Like you could even know that their wives weighed three bills.  I'm calling bullshit on your story.  BULLSHIT, I say.

Well, it is pure speculation. But I did have some facts:

--Wives lived in same country as Big Gulps, Hot Pockets, and Rascal Scooters,

--Didn't really need to know anything else.

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Well, it is pure speculation. But I did have some facts:

--Wives lived in same country as Big Gulps, Hot Pockets, and Rascal Scooters,

--Didn't really need to know anything else.

Persuasive evidence.  But not enough to convict.  Because this mexican gal also lives in that country:

salma-hayek-makeup-free-video.jpg

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Persuasive evidence.  But not enough to convict.  Because this mexican gal also lives in that country:

salma-hayek-makeup-free-video.jpg

You almost have me convinced, but you aren't quite there. To seal the case, I need to see video evedence that Salma bonked one of the guys drinking in that bar in Armeria that day.

If it helps, I was one of the guys drinking in that bar in Armeria that day. Let me know when filming starts.

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I literally said: "There will still be plenty of trade with the UK.  It will just have to go through the logistical and cost hurdles that exist outside of the EU arrangement."

See, that bolded part is what we folks who speak a language call "a difference."

You're commenting about your fantasy world -- where pure-bred white folk kick out the undesirables, which will transform their island into the utopia it would be, were it not for "those people."  It's ethnonationalist porn -- you aren't doing the fucking, you're just watching a video of someone else doing the fucking and imagining how awesome it would be if it was you doing it.

But it's all a fucking fantasy.  The reality you dream of doesn't and won't exist.  But that won't stop you from thinking that "THIS TIME, it really WILL create a utopia," over and over again.  Because the last thing in the world "Joe six-pack" will do is take ANY responsibility for his own lot in life.  Nope.  The reason that Joe six-pack isn't living high on the hog is because of....well, you know.....those people.  And when the magical cure he dreamed of doesn't work....well, it's not because the cure was a fucking stupid idea from the get-go.  Nope.  It's because some evil outsiders interfered with THE PERFECT PLAN.

I envy you.  The weight that you don't carry on your shoulders because you take no responsibility for your own fate, and the sense of freedom that comes from being too damned stupid to figure out the simplest things....shit, it must be blissful.

Unemployment in the UK is 3.9%, pretty much a fifty year low. Would you call that an ethnonationalist masturbatory reality?

Just now, Thetexashammer said:

Unemployment in the UK is 3.9%, pretty much a fifty year low. Would you call that an ethnonationalist masturbatory reality?

I'd call it mostly irrelevant to what's coming in a hard Brexit.  Although it does have SOME relevance....as the UK has needed workers, those....people....have come to fill many of them.  And THAT'S what pisses off so much of the Leave crowd.

The pain of Brexit won't be focused on the labor force (although to be clear, the headaches and suffering of brits living and working in the EU, and vice-versa, are going to be shittacular).  It will be focused on what happens when the free flow of goods is throttled.

Take away the sentiment of "England for the English," and Brexit wouldn't have even gotten off the ground.

You have your ethnonationalist dream, coming true, in a few weeks.  The proof will be in the sticky toffee pudding.

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

fuck off.  

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I'd call it mostly irrelevant to what's coming in a hard Brexit.  Although it does have SOME relevance....as the UK has needed workers, those....people....have come to fill many of them.  And THAT'S what pisses off so much of the Leave crowd.

The pain of Brexit won't be focused on the labor force (although to be clear, the headaches and suffering of brits living and working in the EU, and vice-versa, are going to be shittacular).  It will be focused on what happens when the free flow of goods is throttled.

Take away the sentiment of "England for the English," and Brexit wouldn't have even gotten off the ground.

You have your ethnonationalist dream, coming true, in a few weeks.  The proof will be in the sticky toffee pudding.

Can you explain why you believe that 52% of Sikhs, 54% of Jews, and 30% of muslims are masturbating ethnonationalists?

Edited by Thetexashammer

1 minute ago, zork said:

fuck off.   simple really.  go fuck yourself.

Explain this troll. Why would some random guy supposedly living in DFW care so much about the plight of the English common folks as a result of Brexit or no Brexit.

Is it because the soup at the Bedford Applebee’s is gonna now be more expensive? Or what. 

10 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Can you explain why you believe that 52% of Sikhs, 54% of Jews, and 30% of muslims are masturbating ethnonationalists?

Utter lies about things like the NHS certainly helped the Leave cause.

But without the foundation of white ethnonationalism and Nigel Farage's dream of same, Brexit would never even have left the launching pad.

13 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

No but I can explain that you are a lying sack of shit who makes up statistics to support your lying arguments which nobody here believes.

I’m not sure why you bother, but carry on. 

Just now, JimmyJames said:

No but I can explain that you are a lying sack of shit who makes up statistics to support your lying arguments which nobody here believes.

I’m not sure why you bother, but carry on. 

How much do you want to wager I can provide an authoritative, left wing source for my information? Bottle of bourbon?

As an aside, I didn't make an argument, I stated facts. But such niceties of logic are lost on you, apparently.

How much are we wagering?

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Haha 1

Just now, Thetexashammer said:

How much do you want to wager I can provide an authoritative, left wing source for my information? Bottle of bourbon?

Your information? On what? Because so far what you have said is completely meaningless. And 94 percent of Surly readers, and 88 percent of Surly posters, completely agree with me. 

Why don’t you just “provide it” and we can settle any later bets elsewhere. 

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

It's a Brexit fread, innit? Somefing more proper, more British-like.

The Pimm's was 9.99 at the duty free, so i already got a bottle. They do make a lot of Gin they seem pretty proud of, but I'm not a prostitute.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Explain this troll. Why would some random guy supposedly living in DFW care so much about the plight of the English common folks as a result of Brexit or no Brexit.

Is it because the soup at the Bedford Applebee’s is gonna now be more expensive? Or what. 

I don't.  I'm just watching and reading the news daily when not dealing with my other responsibilities of which I didn't have many today.  Sometimes  I read about the Brexit thing generally on financial news websites or otherwise when it comes up. 

It has a big effect on the various markets when the news hits of another May failure, in the past of course, and with the latest Queen Parliament gambit causing an increased likely-hood of Brexit in the near-term to increase in percentage chance that it actually will happen.  It has been fascinating to read about when I have done that, typically on big failures in the process.  Then I finally opened the thread and read it here after ignoring it largely since it was started. 

I'm aware of history, though only at a lay person level with a college education, still knowing the shared history of the US and UK going back a long time.  Even Blair and Bush making ally over politics in the ill fated Iraq partnership. Etc, etc. 

Then the surprise vote for Brexit, along with the years since that vote causing many to believe it wouldn't happen, till now when it seems it very well might.  Sometimes interesting although not really that important to me or my family specifically.  

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Please, continue with your heady analysis.  We are all duly impressed.

You can still fuck off.  

• Fuck You 1

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Your information? On what? Because so far what you have said is completely meaningless. And 94 percent of Surly readers, and 88 percent of Surly posters, completely agree with me. 

Why don’t you just “provide it” and we can settle any later bets elsewhere. 

That's not how wagering works. Take the loss, pussy. How much are we wagering?

1 minute ago, zork said:

I don't.  I'm just watching and reading the news daily when not dealing with my other responsibilities of which I didn't have many today.  Sometimes  I read about the Brexit thing generally on financial news websites or otherwise when it comes up. 

It has a big effect on the various markets when the news hits of another May failure, in the past of course, and with the latest Queen Parliament gambit causing an increased likely-hood of Brexit in the near-term to increase in percentage chance that it actually will happen.  It has been fascinating to read about when I have done that, typically on big failures in the process.  Then I finally opened the thread and read it here after ignoring it largely since it was started. 

I'm aware of history, though only at a lay person level with a college education, still knowing the shared history of the US and UK going back a long time.  Even Blair and Bush making ally over politics in the ill fated Iraq partnership. Etc, etc. 

Then the surprise vote for Brexit, along with the years since that vote causing many to believe it wouldn't happen, till now when it seems it very well might.  Sometimes interesting although not really that important to me or my family specifically.  

You can still fuck off.