Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

22-25 is still not a bubble team. 

If the NCAA women’s committee reveal is an eye into the men’s, it’s that NET matters more than any metric. 

But go 3-7 over their next 10 games, and Texas will drop in ratings... I said possible bubble team if Texas goes 8-10 in B12.

22-25 ratings now is based on how they have played so far.

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

These are the few teams I looked at really quick. Texas has a better resume (or at least comparable) to these teams from that list. 

Texas: #17 NET, 3 Q1 wins, 7 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. 

Davidson: #46 NET, 2 Q1 wins, 3 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. 

UCONN: #16 NET, 2 Q1 wins, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. 

USC: #27 NET, 2 Q1 wins, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. 

Ohio State: #21 NET, 3 Q1 wins, 5 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. 

Michigan State: #18 NET, 3 Q1 wins, 9 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. They also have a bad loss in quadrant 3. 

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

These are the few teams I looked at really quick. Texas has a better resume (or at least comparable) to these teams from that list. 

Texas: #17 NET, 3 Q1 wins, 7 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. 

Davidson: #46 NET, 2 Q1 wins, 3 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. 

UCONN: #16 NET, 2 Q1 wins, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. 

USC: #27 NET, 2 Q1 wins, 6 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. 

Ohio State: #21 NET, 3 Q1 wins, 5 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. 

Michigan State: #18 NET, 3 Q1 wins, 9 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. They also have a bad loss in quadrant 3. 

Coaches Poll has Texas at #25 in this poll

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/polls/coaches-poll/

I agree that Texas is back end of Top 25 right now...

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's a common theme on twitter and not just Longhorn fans. I think you would be surprised by how many average fans don't understand the difference. 

I’m not on Twitter. I’m 43. If fans are like this I haven’t seen them, and they’re morons. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

For anyone interested......

On3 has Arterio Morris ranked at #11, Dillon Mitchell at #12, and Brumbaugh at #78 in the new recruiting update. 

Did On3 create a totally new recruiting entity or did they gobble up something else?

I prefer to go with 247 composite rankings since it incorporates all the sites. Still though, they have Mitchell at #14, Morris at #19, & Brumbaugh at #79. I pray Morris & Mitchell make it to campus.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

Did On3 create a totally new recruiting entity or did they gobble up something else?

I prefer to go with 247 composite rankings since it incorporates all the sites. Still though, they have Mitchell at #14, Morris at #19, & Brumbaugh at #79. I pray Morris & Mitchell make it to campus.

I think On3 consensus is the best moving forward. It's the only site that utilizes all 4 major recruiting sites (I.e. Rivals, 247, ESPN and On3). 

Unless I'm mistaken, the 247 composite doesn't calculate the On3 rankings yet. I think that's problematic moving forward because On3 is stealing a lot of the best talent and will have the best recruiting site soon. Similar to the Rivals to 247 transition with Shannon Terry. 

https://www.on3.com/db/arterio-morris-7681/industry-comparison/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

So you're so lazy that you choose to ignore the more objective ranking systems?

OK.

Simmer down.

Our schedule is about to get harder, no doubt.  Bear with me here . . . that also means a loss is less damaging than it might otherwise be.

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So you're so lazy that you choose to ignore the more objective ranking systems?  OK.  Simmer down.   Our schedule is about to get harder, no doubt.  Bear with me here . . . that also means a loss is less damaging than it might otherwise be.

Not mad here... just presenting another opinion on where Texas should be rated.  Just because you feel those ranking systems are more objective doesn't mean they are right... they are just another perspective.

IMO, Texas should be rated towards the bottom of the Top 25 based on their performance so far.  🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So it seems that any team with the horses and experience to pull it off should press Texas from opening tip to final buzzer. Our players don't appear to handle it well, despite their experience.

our team lacks vision, and i'm not sure i remember seeing a Texas team that was collectively this bad and identifying the open man and getting the ball to him. i really thought it was going to be better by now, but at this point im just accepting that it's who we are. outside of Askew, nobody on this team has any vision or passing instincts.

in fact, Askew was a huge spark for our offense last night when he came in in the 1H and we went on a run. he's the one guy who with true PG skills. Brock is a good and willing passer from the high post/the middle of the zone, but he's only a small role player. when you watch our offense, there are constant opportunities for us to strong together 2-3 quick passes, but instead the ball just stops because our guys simply are not gifted passers. the open man is there- in the corner, on the wing, on the low block, slashing- but time and time and time again the play just stagnates without a single look to any of the open men. it's very frustrating.

anyway, i say all of this to say that when you consider how much we struggle to find the open man when running our offense in the half court, it's not a surprise that full court pressure gives us fits as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not mad here... just presenting another opinion on where Texas should be rated.  Just because you feel those ranking systems are more objective doesn't mean they are right... they are just another perspective.

IMO, Texas should be rated towards the bottom of the Top 25 based on their performance so far.  🤘

For another data point...  😋

Bracketology has Texas as a #7 seed, so their rating is between 25-28

5 hours ago, slorch said:

The only people undervaluing Texas are Texas fans.  Not all, but many.

It's hilarious.

Well, we've seen our team play 20 games now. We aren't stupid, this is severely flawed team, but should win their 1st game in the NCAAT, and then after that it's all about the matchups.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well, we've seen our team play 20 games now. We aren't stupid, this is severely flawed team, but should win their 1st game in the NCAAT, and then after that it's all about the matchups.

Yeah, the fans that have watched most of the Texas games this year have a much better perspective on how good the Horns are.  Definitely a work-in-process with a really tough 10 game B12 stretch ahead.

Making fun of Texas fans devaluing this current team might not be smart with the February schedule facing them.   Granted the tcu game was encouraging, and parts of Tennessee game were positive.

Edited by LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what a little bitch he turned out to be. fucking cried and took his ball home when he didn't get the PT he wanted, and now he's out here publicly doing anti-Texas shit. i hope Dillon Mitchell teabags this guy as posterizes him next year.

I don't know how much I buy the PT narrative. Adams isn't going to promise him PT any more than Beard ever would. He could have transferred any number of other places that would probably promise him PT. If he isn't good enough he won't see the court, anyway, so it's likely a moot point.

I don't understand why the horns down thing draws so much ire, I literally wouldn't give the slightest shit if someone did a "guns down" or something similar.

33 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That's pretty much everyone in college basketball this year outside of like 2 teams (maybe). 

24 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what a little bitch he turned out to be. fucking cried and took his ball home when he didn't get the PT he wanted, and now he's out here publicly doing anti-Texas shit. i hope Dillon Mitchell teabags this guy as posterizes him next year.

He won’t even be on the court the same time as Mitchell next year. When we’re blowing them out by 20 with 2 mins left he’ll finally get in

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm saying it with the perspective of having seen Beard do his shit the past few years.  It isn't to say Texas fans are dumb, as least in this regard; but rather there are no perfect teams and that those Tech squads were anything but that.  But the refrain from Austin is how lackluster this season is.

It's a work in progress with a significant amount of runway left.  Beard and staff  are still coaching.

Whatever.  Wallow in it.  I predicted a Sweet16 team a long time ago.  There's no reason at this point to back off of it.

in case anyone was wondering exactly which words @Bitterwhiteguy was going to use to shit on Chris Beard after this 2-0 week, here's a sample:

Beard really is uniting the family by getting us all on the same page about what the late Barnes years were like, and he walked out of the game not only barely combining for 100 points but also with nobody actively rooting for the return of Barnes as Texas head coach.

this is immediately followed by BWG shitting on the UT warmup shirts which Beard had made to honor Rick Barnes. seriously. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886chjj129e7qg4miojqj

more verbal emesis from BWG:

Losing to Tennessee would have impacted that slide; let’s say Texas completes the collapse (Texas hit 99% on the #LemonBooty scale in the second half) and Barnes walks out with a win. At that point Texas has 0 non-conference wins worth anything and has an upcoming schedule of @ Tech, vs ISU, vs Kansas, & @ Baylor. If Texas loses to Tennessee there’s a real chance they end that stretch 1-4, 6-6 in conference, and getting above .500 in the Big 12 becomes dicey. A 9-9 Big 12 team with no Q1 non-conference wins is pretty much the definition of a bubble team, no? But a 9-9 Big 12 team with a win against a ranked Tennessee team is probably on the right side of the bubble. That’s what that one missed Volunteers three means for March, the difference between a team battling to stay out of the First Four and a team who is in the field with some room to spare.

LMAO. what kind of "Texas fan" watches us crush TCU and then get our best win of the season, and then sits down write an "article" about all of the hypothetical future losses we could have endured had we lost to Tennessee, characterizing the game not as a win for Texas, but as a missed win for Tennessee. "That missed wide open three by Tennessee is the only reason Texas is going to make the tourney."

get fucked @Bitterwhiteguy

• Hook 'Em 2

BWG really does suck. If Texas went 2-0 with 2 quadrant one wins in the same week with Shaka, he would be celebrating on Twitter and telling Texas fans “see you can’t do better than this.”

BWG’s tone is completely different after every game with Beard and it’s to the point it sounds like he’s actively rooting against Texas. 

He’s a hypocritical bitch. 

• Like 1

01.30.2022 | Men's Basketball

Video: Chris Beard media availability

Head coach Chris Beard met with the media on Sunday to discuss Tuesday's game at No. 13/14 Texas Tech.

😂😂😂😂😂

"Beard when asked for his thoughts on Ric Flair probably cutting a promo on him Tuesday: "I'm more of a Von Erich's and Freebirds guys."

Texas is currently 7-4 in Q1/Q2 games.  Similar to:

Villanova 7-5
Kentucky 6-4
Purdue 7-3
Texas Tech 7-5
Tennessee 6-6
LSU 8-5
Illinois 7-5

If I see one big shit on our resume right now, it's that Q3 loss.  Michigan State is the only other top 20 NET team with a Q3 loss. 

9 hours ago, slorch said:

I'm saying it with the perspective of having seen Beard do his shit the past few years.  It isn't to say Texas fans are dumb, as least in this regard; but rather there are no perfect teams and that those Tech squads were anything but that.  But the refrain from Austin is how lackluster this season is.

It's a work in progress with a significant amount of runway left.  Beard and staff  are still coaching.

Whatever.  Wallow in it.  I predicted a Sweet16 team a long time ago.  There's no reason at this point to back off of it.

Yeah, but those Tech squads had athletic NBA caliber guards. Texas does not.

01.30.2022 | Men's Basketball

Video: Chris Beard media availability

Head coach Chris Beard met with the media on Sunday to discuss Tuesday's game at No. 13/14 Texas Tech.

😂😂😂😂😂

"Beard when asked for his thoughts on Ric Flair probably cutting a promo on him Tuesday: "I'm more of a Von Erich's and Freebirds guys."

that is fucking awesome...Beard is great at the mic and the marketing.  Sportatorium for the win!

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Texas is currently 7-4 in Q1/Q2 games.  Similar to:

Villanova 7-5
Kentucky 6-4
Purdue 7-3
Texas Tech 7-5
Tennessee 6-6
LSU 8-5
Illinois 7-5

If I see one big shit on our resume right now, it's that Q3 loss.  Michigan State is the only other top 20 NET team with a Q3 loss. 

Kansas and Baylor getting run didn't do us any favors but 8-10 and 6th in the Big 12 gets us in no matter what.

So this Texas team has 10 games remaining, which I don't think many will argue, make up the toughest portion of their schedule (hell I've seen some list it as the toughest finishing stretch in the country). But I'm a firm believer that challenges present opportunities. And there's definitely a bounty of opportunity left ahead of them to make some real attention grabbing noise nationally and boost their own confidence collectively. 

So 6 games against KU, Baylor & Tech left(3-3 prediction): Baylor's come down to earth (3-3 in their last 6). KU has a great record, but as Saturday kind of illuminated, they aren't a 'great' KU team by any stretch. Tech - well this is our new Bball rival. For all the reasons everyone already knows. These are going to be absolute WARs I think. Tough physical ball games. I just hope they don't take too much of the teams going forward!!!

Remaining 4, i can see us going 3-1 in ( ISU, @ hOeU, TCU & @ WVU): Iowa St we owe a lil something. And think by the time we get to those others we'll be playing better ball and it'll show.

I get the feeling that Beard is building towards something (or damn it i want to believe that he is). But there's been so many years where we've peaked at this point in the season. Only to see expectations grow while our play plateaued or even receded at times. I just think the growth here with this veteran squad is little more incremental and not as noticeable. But here's to hoping that Texas is playing its best ball of the year in 4/5 weeks rather than at the end of January!!!

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, the fans that have watched most of the Texas games this year have a much better perspective on how good the Horns are.  Definitely a work-in-process with a really tough 10 game B12 stretch ahead.

Making fun of Texas fans devaluing this current team might not be smart with the February schedule facing them.   Granted the tcu game was encouraging, and parts of Tennessee game were positive.

Would it be helpful for you, LTtxfan, if we collected enough money to send you on a one flight to somewhere in northern Europe for the month of February? That way, maybe you can disconnect from things for a while and stop shitting yourself in fear about the next 10 games of Texas basketball. You can come back to find out that Texas went whatever it went and is still not a bubble team.

16 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I don't know how much I buy the PT narrative. Adams isn't going to promise him PT any more than Beard ever would. He could have transferred any number of other places that would probably promise him PT. If he isn't good enough he won't see the court, anyway, so it's likely a moot point.

I don't understand why the horns down thing draws so much ire, I literally wouldn't give the slightest shit if someone did a "guns down" or something similar.

No one gives enough of a shit about Tech to know your hand sign and then much less do it downward. I'm not trying to be rude, but let's be real. I know the dumbass thumbs up for the dorks in College Station and that's it for other schools. They're all pathetic copies of UT's and not worthy of the dignity of acknowledgement. 

• Hook 'Em 2