Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

7 hours ago, slorch said:

"My ex-wife was a great lady, but she left me for my brother. . I'm cool with it now."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what you are expecting from Tech fans.  SMDH.

Except, in this dumbass hypothetical, your ex-wife was always with the other guy. And the other guy is NOT your brother. 

a couple of guys who i think we really could have used this year:

Royce Hamm: 3rd in minutes for UNLV (24.0), 8.5 pts, 9.5 reb, 2.5 Oreb, 1.0 blk, .492 FG%

Donovan Williams: 4th in minutes for UNLV (23.3), 14.1 pts, 3.6 reb, 1.3 stocks, .452 3P%, .495 FG%

each one would be the most athletic player on our team, particularly Hamm. Shaka's infamously short benches have cost us a relatively crazy amount of D-1 talent in a short period of time. didn't lose any superstars, but lost, what, 7 or 8 guys who went in to be solid D-1 starters the moment they got an opportunity to play. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah substituting Hamm onto the roster for Bishop would've been extremely beneficial. Shit while we're dreaming, Bryson Williams & Hamm in place of Disu and Bishop makes for a dominant defense and super athletic team.  

I have to believe much of it with Disu is injury related. Which doesn’t mean you’re wrong. But I’d take Disu at his best the last couple of years pre-injury over Bryson Williams, although I’d prefer to have both. I’d for sure take Williams of this year, though, for sure. 

I just keep hoping the team turns some kind of mythical corner. It may be there’s no mythical corner to turn. I keep seeing flashes from all these guys regarding their true potential, but for whatever reason they’re simply unable to maintain their higher levels of performance for anything resembling a longer time frame. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I have to believe much of it with Disu is injury related. Which doesn’t mean you’re wrong. But I’d take Disu at his best the last couple of years pre-injury over Bryson Williams, although I’d prefer to have both. I’d for sure take Williams of this year, though, for sure. 

I just keep hoping the team turns some kind of mythical corner. It may be there’s no mythical corner to turn. I keep seeing flashes from all these guys regarding their true potential, but for whatever reason they’re simply unable to maintain their higher levels of performance for anything resembling a longer time frame. 

I know @texasstrong12keeps saying it, but this team does remind me a lot of Vic Schaefer's Texas team last year.

• First year head coach
  • New system and new faces, including: transfer PG and transfer center
  • Different style than the previous head coach
  • Took some shitty Ls in conference play, including dropping a road contest to Tech who didn't make the tournament, a 34 point loss in Morgantown, a 25 point loss in Waco where we scored 35 points and blowing a home game against OU
  • Hit the tournament losing 3 of our last 5, including 2 home games and a loss in the Big 12 tournament to #6 Baylor, as a #6 seed (with 10 losses) 
  • Turned a corner in postseason play for whatever reason, beating #9 UCLA and #7 Maryland en route to the Elite 8, scoring 81, 71, 64 (for a team who averaged 70.3 ppg) before hitting the proverbial brick wall that was/is South Carolina

Maybe the tournament brings out something in this team, or maybe it doesn't and we lose in the first round.  But that WBB team last year didn't look like it was going anywhere but a second round exit last year and really shocked a lot of people.  Beard, like Schaefer, is a pretty successful tournament coach. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I know @texasstrong12keeps saying it, but this team does remind me a lot of Vic Schaefer's Texas team last year.

• First year head coach
  • New system and new faces, including: transfer PG and transfer center
  • Different style than the previous head coach
  • Took some shitty Ls in conference play, including dropping a road contest to Tech who didn't make the tournament, a 34 point loss in Morgantown, a 25 point loss in Waco where we scored 35 points and blowing a home game against OU
  • Hit the tournament losing 3 of our last 5, including 2 home games and a loss in the Big 12 tournament to #6 Baylor, as a #6 seed (with 10 losses) 
  • Turned a corner in postseason play for whatever reason, beating #9 UCLA and #7 Maryland en route to the Elite 8, scoring 81, 71, 64 (for a team who averaged 70.3 ppg) before hitting the proverbial brick wall that was/is South Carolina

Maybe the tournament brings out something in this team, or maybe it doesn't and we lose in the first round.  But that WBB team last year didn't look like it was going anywhere but a second round exit last year and really shocked a lot of people.  Beard, like Schaefer, is a pretty successful tournament coach. 

And they're both defense as their first, second, and third priority. 

Coaches are always measured by how they do in the tournament. Always. Not saying it's right. It's just how it is. And boy do we have a low bar around here in terms of what we'd consider successful. I know I do. Just win the first round. And this team is more than capable of doing that.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I agree about Disu. I initially hesitated to say anything about my desire for Bryson Williams especially with Disu having another year or 2 to play beyond this year.  We clearly haven't seen the best of him yet. Having said that,  I didn't know anything about Williams until big 12 play and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. Dude is much more talented and polished than I imagined. And his athleticism allows him to maximize his skills unlike Mitchell whose game,  while polished, is limited by his lackluster athleticism. 

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I agree about Disu. I initially hesitated to say anything about my desire for Bryson Williams especially with Disu having another year or 2 to play beyond this year.  We clearly haven't seen the best of him yet. Having said that,  I didn't know anything about Williams until big 12 play and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. Dude is much more talented and polished than I imagined. And his athleticism allows him to maximize his skills unlike Mitchell whose game,  while polished, is limited by his lackluster athleticism. 

Williams struggled early in the season against the better teams we played. He was playing soft around the rim and letting himself get bullied, especially by teams like Tennessee. I imagine the transition from playing shitty competition at UTEP to playing legit teams was hard for him, but he adjusted well for sure. One thing Adams worked on with him very hard was his 3 point shot, which was mediocre at best before this year but now he's shooting damn near 50% from there on the season.

I think Disu will end up being really good just from what I've seen. He seems to have been pretty unlucky this season with injuries and if you're limited in what you can do on the floor, especially defensively, Beard isn't going to play you a lot. Healthy, with an offseason of training from Beard & Co. he will be a baller.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Williams struggled early in the season against the better teams we played. He was playing soft around the rim and letting himself get bullied, especially by teams like Tennessee. I imagine the transition from playing shitty competition at UTEP to playing legit teams was hard for him, but he adjusted well for sure. One thing Adams worked on with him very hard was his 3 point shot, which was mediocre at best before this year but now he's shooting damn near 50% from there on the season.

I think Disu will end up being really good just from what I've seen. He seems to have been pretty unlucky this season with injuries and if you're limited in what you can do on the floor, especially defensively, Beard isn't going to play you a lot. Healthy, with an offseason of training from Beard & Co. he will be a baller.

The main injury he’s recovering from is his ACL which ended his season eariy last year. He missed all of the offseason, and wasn’t cleared for practice until several games into the season. He was coming along fine. Many people felt like he was our best player. 

It looked to me like he might have tweaked it when he crashed to the floor, but that’s me playing knee injury expert from watching on television. In any case, he isn’t playing at his best, whatever the reason for it. 

Kudos to Bryce and the Tech program as a whole in terms of how he’s playing now. He looks terrific. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

In general, Tech fans suffer from a similar little brother penis envy as A&M fans.  Let's go back to last year, before Texas hired Chris Beard -- Tech fans, or at least most vocal Tech fans, were supremely confident that Beard was a Tech lifer, and there was no way he'd leave for Austin.

I would have thought the fact that Beard chose to attend Texas, probably never even considering Tech, and receiving his bachelor's degree from the school might have given them some pause, but no, the average Tech fan is not very astute.

I'm impressed with what Adams has put on the floor.  I have absolutely no reason to believe that Tech will maintain that competitive advantage over Texas long-term.  It could happen, though.  Baylor has owned us for years.  We'll see.

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

In general, Tech fans suffer from a similar little brother penis envy as A&M fans.  Let's go back to last year, before Texas hired Chris Beard -- Tech fans, or at least most vocal Tech fans, were supremely confident that Beard was a Tech lifer, and there was no way he'd leave for Austin.

I would have thought the fact that Beard chose to attend Texas, probably never even considering Tech, and receiving his bachelor's degree from the school might have given them some pause, but no, the average Tech fan is not very astute.

I'm impressed with what Adams has put on the floor.  I have absolutely no reason to believe that Tech will maintain that competitive advantage over Texas long-term.  It could happen, though.  Baylor has owned us for years.  We'll see.

That’s because they were picking up all the bs Beard was putting down. Fan bases should never do that.

The last thing I will say on the topic (at least for now, lol) is that Chris Beard's exceptional ability to market and engage fans is partly to blame for the betrayal that Tech fans feel. 

He is the best I have ever seen at generating fan involvement, particularly with the students.  He is also great at working alumni and donors (and extracting money for building improvements and such).  When he spends years selling everyone HARD on a long-term vision for the program, it feels worse when he bolts.  To them, it feels like all of the rah rah marketing was basically fake and he never really cared about the program at all.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You mean Baylor owned Shaka - 2 wins over Baylor in his tenure.  And not all of those BU teams were that good either.  

2015-16: Baylor loses to Yale in the first round.  Texas won in Waco, lost at home and lost to Baylor in the Big 12 tournament
2016-17: Baylor loses to South Carolina in the Sweet 16.  Texas lost both games.
2017-18: Baylor loses to Miss St. in the second round of the NIT.  Texas STILL lost both of those games to Baylor (one in 2OT)
2018-19: Baylor loses to Gonzaga in the 2nd round.  Texas won at home and lost in Waco (in OT)
2019-20: no tournament, but Baylor was probably a 1 seed.  Texas lost both games
2020-21: Baylor wins the title. Texas lost the only game they played, as one was never made up

1-2 versus a first round exit team in 2016.  0-2 against an NIT team in 2018.  Abysmal. 

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Scott Drew has turned out to be a much better coach than I ever thought he’d be. Particularly on the defensive side, his teams have improved so much over the years. 

I still can’t stand him. Almost at the same level of John Calipari, although not quite. Watching Drew do his holier than thou, self aggrandizing, hypocritical bullshit act makes me vomit. 

I like Adams’ kind of self effacing, West Texas personality. I also find his background fascinating. Not too many former minor league hockey team owners in the college basketball head coaching fraternity, among his many other stops. 

Given Texas is moving to the SEC soon, what Adams and Drew do are about to have a similar relevance to Sampson at UH. It’s not that it will be meaningless, but it won’t have the same import a shared conference affiliation brings. 

7 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Scott Drew has turned out to be a much better coach than I ever thought he’d be. Particularly on the defensive side, his teams have improved so much over the years. 

I still can’t stand him. Almost at the same level of John Calipari, although not quite. Watching Drew do his holier than thou, self aggrandizing, hypocritical bullshit act makes me vomit. 

I like Adams’ kind of self effacing, West Texas personality. I also find his background fascinating. Not too many former minor league hockey team owners in the college basketball head coaching fraternity, among his many other stops. 

Given Texas is moving to the SEC soon, what Adams and Drew do are about to have a similar relevance to Sampson at UH. It’s not that it will be meaningless, but it won’t have the same import a shared conference affiliation brings. 

UT’s and OU’s move to the Sec will have no impact on the basketball fortunes of any big12 schools going forward.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Satchel said:

UT’s and OU’s move to the Sec will have no impact on the basketball fortunes of any big12 schools going forward.

I have no idea why you’re saying this to me. I don’t care. I’m saying the inter relationships between Texas basketball and the other Big 12 schools will lessen demonstrably. Frankly, I like the Big 12 as a basketball conference WAAAAY more than the SEC. So what? UH just made the Final Four. Good for them.

You guys can deal with them and Sampson, who I have always thought of as an outstanding coach who gets more effort out of his players than anyone. If only he wasn’t such a whiny bitch on the sideline and didn’t deliberately contact high school players incessantly during dead periods to get an edge in recruiting. 

None of it will have a direct impact on Texas basketball. We’ll be affected, just like we all are on some level by UH’s success in their current conference affiliation, but let’s face it. It’s not really on our radar much. Same will happen with all of us when Texas heads to the SEC. You guys can have your happy home and we’ll do our thing. 

My point is all of these dynamics between both Tech and Baylor have a short shelf life from a Texas perspective. How you read that as dogging the Big 12 in some way is beyond me, but whatever. 

22 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You guys can deal with them and Sampson, who I have always thought of as an outstanding coach who gets more effort out of his players than anyone. If only he wasn’t such a whiny bitch on the sideline and didn’t deliberately contact high school players incessantly during dead periods to get an edge in recruiting. 

You left out "horrible sartorial taste".

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I have no idea why you’re saying this to me. I don’t care. I’m saying the inter relationships between Texas basketball and the other Big 12 schools will lessen demonstrably. Frankly, I like the Big 12 as a basketball conference WAAAAY more than the SEC. So what? UH just made the Final Four. Good for them.

None of it will have a direct impact on Texas basketball. We’ll be affected, just like we all are on some level by UH’s success in their current conference affiliation, but let’s face it. It’s not really on our radar much. Same will happen with all of us when Texas heads to the SEC. You guys can have your happy home and we’ll do our thing. 

My point is all of these dynamics between both Tech and Baylor have a short shelf life from a Texas perspective. How you read that as dogging the Big 12 in some way is beyond me, but whatever. 

Who accused you of dogging the big12 and why would your doing so matter to me?

7 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Who accused you of dogging the big12 and why would your doing so matter to me?

What in the holy fuck are you trying to communicate to me then, with "UT’s and OU’s move to the Sec will have no impact on the basketball fortunes of any big12 schools going forward"?

Why make the post in the first place? Help me out. I honestly have no idea what in the world you meant by your reply. You don't care. I don't care. We both don't care. So your point was...what?

16 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Relax. My bad. I should have used more precise language. What I was trying to say is UT’s and OU’s move to the Sec will have no impact on the basketball fortunes of any big12 schools going forward.

Yeah, I understand your words. What do they have to do with anything I’ve ever written. The whole conversation I was addressing was Adams and Drew, and why they’re not going to matter. So why reply to me at all?

Just now, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, I understand your words. What do they have to do with anything I’ve ever written. The whole conversation I was addressing was Adams and Drew, and why they’re not going to matter. So why reply to me at all?

If I say I’m sorry, will you stop? 

10 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

i think it's really just a textbook example of how hard it is to just throw i this suit together in a couple of months time and then BAM, the season has started and we're still flying by the seat of our pants. new school, new conference, new players, new coaches, new teammates, new roles, new playbook- all of that for the entire program. and at the end of the day the only way a team truly jells and finds that cohesion is through actual love games. is there anyone here who doesn't think this team would compete for the conference if we ran it back next year? 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i think it's really just a textbook example of how hard it is to just throw i this suit together in a couple of months time and then BAM, the season has started and we're still flying by the seat of our pants. new school, new conference, new players, new coaches, new teammates, new roles, new playbook- all of that for the entire program. and at the end of the day the only way a team truly jells and finds that cohesion is through actual love games. is there anyone here who doesn't think this team would compete for the conference if we ran it back next year? 

I’m just appreciating what we have. I enjoy watching this team, even with its frustrations. I feel like there’s a plan involved. I love watching the press conferences and fireside chats. The coach’s show. Gregory Gym. Bringing back Mike Wacker. The shout outs to Leon Black (RIP). The recognition of Rick Barnes.

I’ve missed enjoying following Texas basketball, which honestly hasn’t existed for a long long time. Before Shaka Smart. Shaka for me was just another disappointment. I know you love Rick Barnes, and so do I, but I had significant issues over the last part of his tenure. 

And you’re right. It’s tough regardless putting together teams year after year. Add in all the factors at play here. But the season isn’t finished, and I’m excited to see where they end up. Both texasstrong12 and Js1 bring up a great example in the women’s program of what can happen. 

I’ve also been pleased with the athletic program overall. I see where CDC gets a lot of hate on the football board, a lot of it from people whose opinion I hold in high regard. And maybe they have the right of it. But I love having him as the athletic director. I know football is an 800lb anchor that’s holding everything else back, but even there I’m appreciative of some of the changes made for students and the band, some of the dial back of the commercialism. 

It just feels like we’re heading in a good direction generally. I’m shocked at the general tone of the board that doesn’t see it that way, specifically with men’s basketball (hard not to be jaundiced about football right now), but maybe they’re right to be sour on what they’ve seen. I just don’t see it that way at all. Glad for your participation here, shadow_operative. It’s always fun to see your posts. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

That’s hilarious. Not necessarily the shirts. That’s fine. But making a tweet about it with the intention of making her semi famous like Hawaiian shirt guy. I love this stuff. Way more compelling to pick out outstanding individuals than to make general comments about the student section overall.

You need both, but this is how you raise the overall enthusiasm. Keep picking out examples of “best practices” so to speak, and make mini stars of them. All of this is so much fun for me. The dude is going to have Moody rocking in no time. I truly believe that. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I’m just appreciating what we have. I enjoy watching this team, even with its frustrations. I feel like there’s a plan involved. I love watching the press conferences and fireside chats. The coach’s show. Gregory Gym. Bringing back Mike Wacker. The shout outs to Leon Black (RIP). The recognition of Rick Barnes.

I’ve missed enjoying following Texas basketball, which honestly hasn’t existed for a long long time. Before Shaka Smart. Shaka for me was just another disappointment. I know you love Rick Barnes, and so do I, but I had significant issues over the last part of his tenure. 

And you’re right. It’s tough regardless putting together teams year after year. Add in all the factors at play here. But the season isn’t finished, and I’m excited to see where they end up. Both texasstrong12 and Js1 bring up a great example in the women’s program of what can happen. 

I’ve also been pleased with the athletic program overall. I see where CDC gets a lot of hate on the football board, a lot of it from people whose opinion I hold in high regard. And maybe they have the right of it. But I love having him as the athletic director. I know football is an 800lb anchor that’s holding everything else back, but even there I’m appreciative of some of the changes made for students and the band, some of the dial back of the commercialism. 

It just feels like we’re heading in a good direction generally. I’m shocked at the general tone of the board that doesn’t see it that way, specifically with men’s basketball (hard not to be jaundiced about football right now), but maybe they’re right to be sour on what they’ve seen. I just don’t see it that way at all. Glad for your participation here, shadow_operative. It’s always fun to see your posts. 

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

I'd look more at the percentages than the "scores"

Easy wins: Iowa State, TCU
Should be a win : @West Virginia
Toss-up: Kansas, @OU, Texas Tech, Baylor
Easy losses: @Baylor, @KU

Chalk it up as 3 for sure wins, 2 for sure losses and 2-2 in the tossups gets us 5-4 finish and 10-8 overall.  I think everyone would take that. 

The question becomes - what 2 tossup wins are more enjoyable?  Texas Tech is likely 1, but winning in Norman is nice, but so is beating KU and especially Baylor because they've had our number lately.  

Fuck it, let's just win all those and finish 12-6. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

9B1E3E9C-9F05-4953-B9C4-FD5731CCB0C6.jpeg

Iowa State and TCU feel like must wins to me. Then go 3-4 in the other games in whatever it takes. That would give Texas a .500 conference record with some really nice wins heading into the conference tournament. If they’d beaten Kansas State in Austin we’re talking about going 2-5 for the same result, which feels extremely doable. 3-4 is going to be tougher, but still well within the realm of possibility. 

Really need this win tomorrow, though. Iowa State put it to us in Ames. Hopefully they’re not shooting it nearly as well in Austin. 

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Iowa State and TCU feel like must wins to me. Then go 3-4 in the other games in whatever it takes. That would give Texas a .500 conference record with some really nice wins heading into the conference tournament. If they’d beaten Kansas State in Austin we’re talking about going 2-5 for the same result, which feels extremely doable. 3-4 is going to be tougher, but still well within the realm of possibility. 

Really need this win tomorrow, though. Iowa State put it to us in Ames. Hopefully they’re not shooting it nearly as well in Austin. 

We're 5-4 right now, so going 2-0 versus ISU/TCU and then 3-4 in the other is 5-4 for a finish of 10-8, not .500? 

Unless I cannot math this morning. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We're 5-4 right now, so going 2-0 versus ISU/TCU and then 3-4 in the other is 5-4 for a finish of 10-8, not .500? 

Unless I cannot math this morning. 

No, your math is right. 

So 2-5 in the others for .500. I like your 12-6 scenario. How about 14-4 anyone? Beuller?

• Hook 'Em 2