Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

29 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Beard was in a terrible mood in his 8:25am HornFM interview today... 

Starts in the 19min mark.   Not a good interview by Erin & Buckie

Eh, Bucky is a horrible interviewer, regardless.  Coach Beard isn't interested in the slot, though.  He's always grumpy.  He rarely offers much.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Expect more zone defense from opponents to take Carr out of the game.  Time for a lot better play from AJ, and Timmy has to play well for Horns to win games ahead...

I think when teams run zone we should put out the Askew, Carr, Ramey, Allen, Bishop lineup. Take Carr off ball and allow him to the guy that receives the ball at the free throw line instead of Allen. Gives him more chances in the midrange and forces the center to step higher in a way that I don’t think Allen does.

• Like 1

I think the Tech game was great in that it was a litmus test for who is ready to ball out in March and who isn't.

Guys who weren't afraid:  Carr, Ramey, Askew, Bishop and Cunningham

Guys who weren't ready:  Mitchell, AllenDisu

I'm fine to ride or die with that first group.  Cunningham and Askew keep the ball moving.  Carr can isolate, attack off the dribble and create his own shot.  Bishop and Cunningham attack the glass.  Everyone plays D.  And Ramey (and sometimes Carr) can hit the 3.  Sure they are a little undersized but THEY DON'T GIVE A F.   These are my guys.  

I'm ok to give Allen another chance because he could be a special player.  But he is going to have to earn back the trust.  Mitchell is going to have to have some dominant games before I'm ready to trust him. His last effort was horrid.  I'm going to just assume Disu is hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think the Tech game was great in that it was a litmus test for who is ready to ball out in March and who isn't.  Guys who weren't afraid:  Carr, Ramey, Askew, Bishop and Cunningham.  Guys who weren't ready:  Mitchell, AllenDisu.  I'm fine to ride or die with that first group.  Cunningham and Askew keep the ball moving.  Carr can isolate, attack off the dribble and create his own shot.  Bishop and Cunningham attack the glass.  Everyone plays D.  And Ramey (and sometimes Carr) can hit the 3.  Sure they are a little undersized but THEY DON'T GIVE A F.   These are my guys.  

I'm ok to give Allen another chance because he could be a special player.  But he is going to have to earn back the trust.  Mitchell is going to have to have some dominant games before I'm ready to trust him. His last effort was horrid.  I'm going to just assume Disu is hurt.

Allen might be the best player Texas has on the team right now.  Yeah he struggled against Tech, but Horns have to get production from Timmy in March or Texas may not win even 1 game in the NCAA Tournament...

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Are we still a bubble team? 

Texas was briefly considered a bubble team in some circles (not in NET, KenPom or other rating services, though) after the loss to Kansas State in Austin, but outside of that Texas has never been a bubble team.

They're 6-4 in conference. 8-10 probably gets them in the dance. So if they go 1-7 the rest of the way they're probably needing a run to at least the conference tournament final to make it in. Aside from that (and there's no indication this team is going to go 1-7), they're making the dance.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Well looks like Beard generally agreed with me. Starting Carr, Ramey, Allen, Cunningham, Bishop.  While I like Askew I can’t disagree with starting Allen. Main thing is getting Cunningham and Bishop on the court.

Well Mitchell was hurt/limited

Edited by Revolution512

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Texas was briefly considered a bubble team in some circles (not in NET, KenPom or other rating services, though) after the loss to Kansas State in Austin, but outside of that Texas has never been a bubble team.

They're 6-4 in conference. 8-10 probably gets them in the dance. So if they go 1-7 the rest of the way they're probably needing a run to at least the conference tournament final to make it in. Aside from that (and there's no indication this team is going to go 1-7), they're making the dance.

We should win in Norman and Morgantown. OU and WV suck. That’s 8 wins. TCU is a win in Austin. 9-9 is the minimum this team should finish, better if we steal a game from Tech, KU or Baylor. 1-4 in those 5 should get us 10-8 and a decent seed 

Finish 4-4 and let’s fucking go. 

Edited by Js1

Just now, Js1 said:

We should win in Norman and Morgantown. OU and WV suck. That’s 8 wins. TCU is a win in Austin. 9-9 is the minimum this team should finish, better if we steal a game from Tech, KU or Baylor. 1-4 in those 5 should get us 10-8 and a decent seed 

Finish 5-4 and let’s fucking go. 

I just hate road games unless it's a dominant team. This is not a dominant team. I do love watching them, but not dominant.

OU beat Arkansas. They also have quality wins against Florida and at Morgantown. They lost to KU by 3 in Norman. They're not the elite of the conference, but I really like their coach, and they have some talent. 

Thuggins loves his team to just foul everything and everyone at home and dare the officials to call it. 

But yeah, both of them are on losing skids. 

I'd be ecstatic with 10-8. That's my hope at this point. Win a conference tournament game, and we're looking at a nice seed. I'd hate to play these guys as a 10 seed or worse in the opening round. That lock down defense is for real. 

Just now, Js1 said:

This KU team may go in dry on us. But this Baylor team looks beatable….

I've seen it look the other way around this season. 

The thing is, Texas is going to take the air out of the ball and force the other team into a grind it out half court offense. So both Baylor and KU will have to adjust. 

AFH, though...I don't feel good about that at all, for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not easy to find 4 more wins i fee great about. Really it’s 1- tcu. And that’s still losable. 

roadies against ou and wvu are scary even with neither team being great. I’d love to think we should beat tech in Austin.  

the 4 against bu and ku I’ll expect nothing from and be thrilled if we get one. 

That win over Tennessee is going to be the gift that keeps on giving. So glad our 'Horns held on for that one.

Tech seems like the best team in the league rn. Not even sure beating them in Austin is realistic. Just not a good matchup. The Red Raiders are at least as good defensively and better offensively, plus longer and much more athletic/explosive.

But ya never know!

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That win over Tennessee is going to be the gift that keeps on giving. So glad our 'Horns held on for that one.

Tech seems like the best team in the league rn. Not even sure beating them in Austin is realistic. Just not a good matchup. The Red Raiders are at least as good defensively and better offensively, plus longer and much more athletic/explosive.

But ya never know!

That game in Lubbock, I really think Beard tried to downplay how big it was. I think he didn’t want us to come in with so much pressure but the environment got to us. Badly.

There are games we play that aren’t just “another game” to certain opponents. Texas coaches have got to play it up to match the intensity. OU in football, Baylor in WBB, TCU in baseball, Baylor in VB and now Tech in MBB. 

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

But ya never know!

I've watched them go into scoring droughts. I do feel like they're the better team, but I don't think the difference is a chasm. 

It's KU, Baylor, and Texas Tech in the top tier, with Texas behind them. I don't want to go 0-6 against those three, and I don't feel like we will. I have no idea who we beat or how necessarily. Just that the defense will frustrate someone, and the Horns will find a way to put up enough points to come out with a victory. But all three of those squads look more complete to me overall than Texas. At times they've all looked dominant, although for Baylor that's starting to look a lot farther away with each game. They have had injury issues, so they can still put it all together. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

That game in Lubbock, I really think Beard tried to downplay how big it was. I think he didn’t want us to come in with so much pressure but the environment got to us. Badly.

There are games we play that aren’t just “another game” to certain opponents. Texas coaches have got to play it up to match the intensity. OU in football, Baylor in WBB, TCU in baseball, Baylor in VB and now Tech in MBB. 

It's all short term. Outside of the Cotton Bowl, those others will be in the rear view mirror in a couple of years. Can hardly wait.

Of course, then we add Arkansas and A&M. Plus you know we'll figure out a myriad of ways to piss off fans in the new conference.

Whatever else we may or may not do as an athletic program, no one does that better than us. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It's all short term. Outside of the Cotton Bowl, those others will be in the rear view mirror in a couple of years. Can hardly wait.

Of course, then we add Arkansas and A&M. Plus you know we'll figure out a myriad of ways to piss off fans in the new conference.

Whatever else we may or may not do as an athletic program, no one does that better than us. 

We are 100% playing them all in 2022-2023, and I’d say a better than 50% chance in 2023-24 too.  

• Rage+1 1

I don't think there is a chasm between Texas and Baylor, Kansas and Tech when we are playing well.  We just beat ISU by 22.  That same ISU team beat Tech by 4, only lost by 1 at KU and by 5 to Baylor. 

And in the Texas vs. Tech game, the most hostile environment possible, we were a made 3 from the game getting very interesting in the last 10 min.  And that was coming off a very emotional game just a couple of days prior against Tennessee.  When we play them again, it could look a lot different.

• Hook 'Em 1

i definitely feel like this team is starting to figure itself out.  3-1 in the last four which includes two of the best overall performances of the year.  the tennessee game was going that direction too until everything just fell apart in the final 5-6 minutes.  even in the tech game, there were 3 or 4 occasions where it was on the verge of becoming a 20-25 point tech blowout and they managed to keep it respectable the entire way.

huge opportunity at home against kansas on monday night.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i definitely feel like this team is starting to figure itself out.  3-1 in the last four which includes two of the best overall performances of the year.  the tennessee game was going that direction too until everything just fell apart in the final 5-6 minutes.  even in the tech game, there were 3 or 4 occasions where it was on the verge of becoming a 20-25 point tech blowout and they managed to keep it respectable the entire way.

huge opportunity at home against kansas on monday night.

Sssshhh, don’t scare it away

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not easy to find 4 more wins i fee great about. Really it’s 1- tcu. And that’s still losable. 

roadies against ou and wvu are scary even with neither team being great. I’d love to think we should beat tech in Austin.  

the 4 against bu and ku I’ll expect nothing from and be thrilled if we get one. 

they need to beat TCU and get one from the rest to go 8-10.  I think that gets them in.

• Nice game for Ramey defensively and scored a quiet 9pts
  • Parts of today's game was good for AJ scoring 14pts.
  • Carr really stepped up his game in 2nd half and scored 14pts total
  • Good to get more points (10pts) and rebounds (7) from Bishop.  
  • Timmy needs to find more offense, but quietly lead UT with 8 rebounds.

Kansas Jayhawks, coming off big Baylor win, face Texas team that swept them last year

Gary Bedore, The Kansas City Star  45 mins ago

Texas, which pulled off a rare home-and-home sweep of Kansas during the regular season a year ago, on Monday night will try to become the first Big 12 men's basketball team to defeat the Jayhawks three straight times during the 19-year Bill Self era.

AATxvxB.img?h=668&w=874&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© David Purdy/Getty Images North America/TNS Head coach Bill Self of the Kansas Jayhawks communicates with his team in the first half against the Iowa State Cyclones at Hilton Coliseum on Feb. 1, 2022 in Ames, Iowa.

Oklahoma State, in fact, is the only other league squad to take two straight from KU in the same regular-season campaign under Self. The Cowboys won in both Lawrence and Stillwater in 2017-18.

Tipoff for the Big Monday game between the No. 10-ranked Jayhawks (19-3, 8-1) and No. 23 Longhorns (17-6, 6-4) is 8 p.m. (ESPN). Iowa State, by the way, is the last league team to beat KU three consecutive times. The Cyclones won five in a row over the Jayhawks spanning the 1998-99, 1999-2000 and 2000-01 seasons. Roy Williams was head coach at that time.

"Last year they cleaned our clock here like Kentucky did, maybe worse," Self said Saturday, referring to former Texas coach Shaka Smart's Longhorns. The Jayhawks suffered the worst home loss in the Self-era, 84-59, to Texas on Jan. 2, 2021 in Allen Fieldhouse. According to KU records, it tied for the worst defeat in fieldhouse history (91-66 to Missouri on Feb. 1, 1989). Kentucky beat KU by 18 points on Jan. 29, which is the second worst home loss in the Self era.

"Then we actually outplayed them in Austin and didn't win the game in overtime," Self added of a 75-72 setback to the Longhorns on Feb. 23, 2021 at Frank Erwin Center. "I think it's a good rivalry," Self added of KU and Texas.

The two teams have split the last six meetings. Prior to that stretch, however, KU won 10 in a row versus Texas and is 25-9 versus the Longhorns in the Self era.

"I think the kids from Texas (Jalen Wilson, KJ Adams, Zach Clemence, Michael Jankovich) are probably excited about playing them," Self said, "and I think everybody else will be, too. Jerrance being here will make it a little more exciting for our guys as far as energy," Self added.

Jerrance Howard worked on Bill Self's coaching staff at KU for eight seasons before accepting a job on new Longhorn coach Chris Beard's staff as an assistant last spring. Beard moved over from Texas Tech to coach at his alma mater, UT.

"I know they've got a guy on their staff that obviously knows a vast majority of the stuff we try to run over the past several years," Self said of Howard. "I'm sure they'll have an insider so to speak. We have to come up with some ways to hopefully attack with the way they defend."

KU senior forward Mitch Lightfoot was asked after KU's 83-59 victory over Baylor on Saturday, about facing Howard's new team.

"Obviously we know him. We've got to go down there and prepare for Texas," Lightfoot said. "They have a bunch of guys returning but also a bunch of new guys. Coach Beard played us in the past. We've got to lock in on film and see what they do, how they play."

Beard has brought in a batch of transfers to go with returnees such as Courtney Ramey, Andrew Jones, Brock Cunningham and Jase Febres. Transfers who started for Texas in its 63-41 win over Iowa State on Saturday in Austin include former Minnesota guard Marcus Carr (14 points, eight assists versus Cyclones), former Creighton forward Christian Bishop (10 points, seven boards, two blocks) and former Utah forward Timmy Allen (six points, eight boards). Forward Tre Mitchell comes to UT from UMass and guard Devin Askew from Kentucky.

"We recruited Christian Bishop of Creighton, who is starting at the 4 for them," Self said. "He and Mitchell (play a lot of 4), We didn't really get the opportunity to recruit Marcus (Carr). We already had Remy (Martin, transfer from Arizona State). We really haven't tried to recruit their guys except we definitely did try to recruit Christian Bishop," Self added.

Lightfoot realizes the Jayhawks face a tough, defensive minded team in Texas. The Longhorns allow just 54.9 points a game, 59.6 in Big 12 play.

"They play super hard. Coach Beard is big on that," Lightfoot said. "We have to make sure we match the intensity. It's one of those games we have to play our best ball if we hope to win."

The Longhorns were ranked No. 23 this past week. KU was ranked No. 10.

"We circled these three games on the calendar obviously," Self said of consecutive games against ranked teams Iowa State, Baylor and Texas. "Because it's a top 20 team on the road (KU won 70-61 on Tuesday), top 10 team at home and top 20 team on the road. We've got two, now we need to try to go get a third. We know that would go a long way toward the success of our season."

Top 4 in the B12 seems to be increasingly distancing themselves in KenPom. Texas (#14) is within 4 +/- points of Baylor (6) as are Kansas (8) and Tech (11) - Iowa State (30) is now over 6 points back from Texas. 

And the top 3 is really tight - all within about a point of each other. Texas 2 and change back from Tech. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

5-3. Let’s fucking go. 

honestly I would take 3-5 if one of the 3 is Tech, Baylor or Kansas. It certainly could get worse than 3-5. But I don’t expect it to. Going 2-1 agains the big 3 in ATX would be awesome. 

I'm expecting 4-4 to avoid disappointment.  Wouldn't be surprised if we went LLWWWWLL to finish the season.  KU/Baylor back2back twice is rough, the Big 12 was probably laughing at us as they finished the schedule. 

Any Baylor/KU win is a bonus. 

• Hook 'Em 1