Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

No one gives enough of a shit about Tech to know your hand sign and then much less do it downward. I'm not trying to be rude, but let's be real. I know the dumbass thumbs up for the dorks in College Station and that's it for other schools. They're all pathetic copies of UT's and not worthy of the dignity of acknowledgement. 

I guess I was unclear in my post, but this has happened to us. Numerous times, in fact (mostly in football games), and it's never bothered me. You're absolutely delusional if you think hand signs are an invention of UT. A LOT of schools do this in some way. That's such a weird attempted flex, such a bizarre thing to tie your self worth to.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I guess I was unclear in my post, but this has happened to us. Numerous times, in fact (mostly in football games), and it's never bothered me. You're absolutely delusional if you think hand signs are an invention of UT. A LOT of schools do this in some way. That's such a weird attempted flex, such a bizarre thing to tie your self worth to.

Self-worth? That's hyperbolic and silly.

It wasn't even a flex. I thought the history was that Texas created the hook'em sign and then other SWC opponents eventually followed, as little brothers always do. If that's incorrect, and it's an easy thing for me to believe and not give enough of a shit to fact check, my bad. Either way, I was just assuming it was understood that it's absolutely laughable to compare the amount of vitriol and anger that Texas receives from opponents to anything associated to what Tech gets from anyone, anywhere. I guess I had a higher opinion of your self-awareness than I should have.

In any event, should Texas win tomorrow night, you guys will get to remind the world of just how fucking terrible your fanbase is when it comes to hosting opponents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Self-worth? That's hyperbolic and silly.

It wasn't even a flex. I thought the history was that Texas created the hook'em sign and then other SWC opponents eventually followed, as little brothers always do. If that's incorrect, and it's an easy thing for me to believe and not give enough of a shit to fact check, my bad. Either way, I was just assuming it was understood that it's absolutely laughable to compare the amount of vitriol and anger that Texas receives from opponents to anything associated to what Tech gets from anyone, anywhere. I guess I had a higher opinion of your self-awareness than I should have.

In any event, should Texas win tomorrow night, you guys will get to remind the world of just how fucking terrible your fanbase is when it comes to hosting opponents. 

Hell you might even be right, I'm not trying to be a dick either, sorry. I just see that sort of thing all over the place and it's hard to believe it all started there. Maybe I'm wrong.

You're right that Texas gets much more hate from everyone than just about anyone else, though, no question.

R.acc9106248d206d464a8b729b91b3579?rik=o

Tito's Vodka pledges $20 million for new Texas football, basketball practice facilities

ByTAYLOR ESTES 115 minutes ago

Texas athletics has landed a new sponsorship deal. Love, Tito’s — the philanthropic arm of Austin-based Tito’s Vodka — has pledged a $20 million gift to assist with the construction of new practice facilities for men’s and women’s basketball, rowing and football. Texas announced the new partnership Monday afternoon.

The $20 million investment will help elevate the practice facilities for the select sports and provide them with “world-class training environments necessary to achieve at the highest level” with the goal allowing Texas athletics to “remain highly competitive in the recruitment of student-athletes, coaches and staff,” UT officials stated in a media release announcing the new partnership.

“What a tremendous show of support and Longhorn pride from Tito Beveridge through the philanthropic generosity of Tito’s,” said Texas vice president and athletics director Chris Del Conte.

“This is such a life-changing commitment and investment in the success of our athletics programs and all of our student-athletes. The resources to construct brand-new, state-of-the-art facilities and the development of so many world-class programs allow us to continue to provide the absolute best for our student-athletes, and truly demonstrates their commitment to excellence at The University of Texas.”

Tito’s Handmade Vodka founder Bert “Tito” Beveridge received degrees in geology and geophysics from Texas. His time spent as a student has led to him wanting to give back to the University of Texas, particularly student-athletes.

“I value this education to this day and am forever grateful to The University for enriching my life experience in so many ways,” Beveridge said of his company’s decision to invest $20 million into Texas athletics.

“Giving back to student-athletes complements the support we provide to science research at UT. We hope this gift helps Longhorns excel both on and off the field throughout their lives, that they find something they love to do that they are good at, and that they share these passions and talents with their communities.”

According to UT officials, Love, Tito’s has made several investments in the University of Texas totaling $7 million to date.

“Tito and his team at Love, Tito’s have been incredible supporters of the university,” said President Jay Hartzell. “Whether they are helping our Population Health faculty improve outcomes for the community, investing in opportunities to serve and protect our community from COVID, or advancing student opportunities across the Forty Acres, they have helped fuel our vision to be the country’s highest impact public university. They understand the special role that athletics play in the fabric of our university, and I’m deeply grateful for this investment that will support our student-athletes in their pursuit of college degrees and championships.”

Texas men’s and women’s basketball and rowing practice facility will be located adjacent to the new Moody Center and is scheduled for completion in summer 2022, according to Texas officials, while details on the new Texas football practice facility were not stated in the press release.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-facility-upgrades-Titos-vodka-20-million-gift-Texas-basketball-football-facilities-181920533/

Edited by LTtxfan

Hell you might even be right, I'm not trying to be a dick either, sorry. I just see that sort of thing all over the place and it's hard to believe it all started there. Maybe I'm wrong.
You're right that Texas gets much more hate from everyone than just about anyone else, though, no question.

We wouldn’t use a slogan like “what starts here changes the world” if all we were talking about was lunchables.

I don’t even know if we invented the concept of a hand sign. I just assume we did.

I think it is generally accepted that Texas fans are some of the worst losers you will find.  But...

Texas Tech has to be up there with the worst winners in all of sports.  Usually I sit back and enjoy it because it is directed at other schools.  E.g. Gap kid leading the charge into the Aggy student section.

I'm not really worried if Tech loses tomorrow.  If so, they will wimper out of the stadium like a beaten dog.  But if Tech happens to win, I shudder to think of what they will do  At a minimum they will storm the court. Maybe even tear down their own backboards. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't wear orange to that game. I would love to be there though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

the world of just how fucking terrible your fanbase is when it comes to hosting opponents. 

pretty sure that is going to happen regardless of the outcome of the game.  there is like a 3% chance that the tech fanbase doesn't do something to embarrass itself nationally tomorrow night.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

pretty sure that is going to happen regardless of the outcome of the game.  there is like a 3% chance that the tech fanbase doesn't do something to embarrass itself nationally tomorrow night.

3% seems kind of high. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas is currently 7-4 in Q1/Q2 games.  Similar to:

Villanova 7-5
Kentucky 6-4
Purdue 7-3
Texas Tech 7-5
Tennessee 6-6
LSU 8-5
Illinois 7-5

If I see one big shit on our resume right now, it's that Q3 loss.  Michigan State is the only other top 20 NET team with a Q3 loss. 

If K-State wins a couple more games I don't think that will end up as a Q3 loss. 

Right now K-State is one spot away in the NET rankings from being a Q2 loss vs Q3 loss. 

Not going to post in the other thread for obvious reasons, but you have to admire the fight Beard inspires in his teams. This Texas teams has absolutely high beam glaring issues on the offensive end, but they find a way to stay in games and give themselves a shot. I shouldn't expect anything different having watched so many games that Beard has coached, but it's always nice to see, even if it's nerve wracking when it's against your team.

Such a stark contrast from this Texas team to the Mississippi State team we played last game, who tried to put up a fight against the pressure and physicality for about 10 game minutes, and then completely gave up and wanted no part of it. The toughness gap is just miles wide, even if the team is frustrating to watch at times for the fans.

Also, my hat's off to Marcus Carr. I know he's had his struggles this season, but he really did his best to put his team on his back tonight, and mostly succeeded despite not getting much help from anyone else.

This Texas team shows a lot of flashes of how good it can be under Beard. The first year is tough, but he'll get it done, he's a great coach.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Not going to post in the other thread for obvious reasons, but you have to admire the fight Beard inspires in his teams. This Texas teams has absolutely high beam glaring issues on the offensive end, but they find a way to stay in games and give themselves a shot. I shouldn't expect anything different having watched so many games that Beard has coached, but it's always nice to see, even if it's nerve wracking when it's against your team.

Such a stark contrast from this Texas team to the Mississippi State team we played last game, who tried to put up a fight against the pressure and physicality for about 10 game minutes, and then completely gave up and wanted no part of it. The toughness gap is just miles wide, even if the team is frustrating to watch at times for the fans.

Also, my hat's off to Marcus Carr. I know he's had his struggles this season, but he really did his best to put his team on his back tonight, and mostly succeeded despite not getting much help from anyone else.

This Texas team shows a lot of flashes of how good it can be under Beard. The first year is tough, but he'll get it done, he's a great coach.

Thx for a fair assessment. 

Beard instills more fight and confidence in his teams.  Just hope Beard brings in another coach to help with offense.  I fear he has a blind spot in that part of his coaching -- his current coaching staff is underwhelming.

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thx for a fair assessment. 

Beard instills more fight and confidence in his teams.  Just hope Beard brings in another coach to help with offense.  I fear he has a blind spot in that part of his coaching -- his current coaching staff is underwhelming.

He really needs to do this. His style of offense is dated and stale, and I said that two years ago.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Agreed.  I have really enjoyed watching this Tech team drive to the basket so much more than did before.

Y'all actually think Adams is a better coach. It's adorable. Texas attacked the basket well in the 2nd half. You sent Carr to the line 8 times. 

• Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Y'all actually think Adams is a better coach. It's adorable. Texas attacked the basket well in the 2nd half. You sent Carr to the line 8 times. 

No, you dumb bitch. Stop acting like a little kid with a skinned knee all the time.

Beard is a great coach but this is, in my opinion and others, a blind spot in his coaching philosophy. It's not like we started saying that when he left Tech, plenty of people were saying it 2 years ago.

Christ, you just cannot help yourself can you? Grow up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well, you extrapolated that from us talking about a difference in offensive philosophies.  Who is the better coach remains to be seen.  But I can tell you that this Tech offense has been more fun to watch than the past ones.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

No, you dumb bitch. Stop acting like a little kid with a skinned knee all the time.

Beard is a great coach but this is, in my opinion and others, a blind spot in his coaching philosophy. It's not like we started saying that when he left Tech, plenty of people were saying it 2 years ago.

Christ, you just cannot help yourself can you? Grow up.

I can't help myself? You're posting on a Texas board and your buddies are taking veiled shots at our coach because deep down all of you are massively butt hurt that you lost him. Why don't all of you fuck off and let Texas fans talk about Texas basketball. We don't need your snarky input on Beard's shortcomings after every Texas game. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I can't help myself? You're posting on a Texas board and your buddies are taking veiled shots at our coach because deep down all of you are massively butt hurt that you lost him. Why don't all of you fuck off and let Texas fans talk about Texas basketball. We don't need your snarky input on Beard's shortcomings after every Texas game. 

Slorch/Fantana

I got nowhere else to go GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Why don't you, instead, stop acting like a massive, gaping pussy just because you lost a game and can't handle it like an adult? If you don't like the fact that we post here, why don't you go fucking cry to immamac so he can tell you to fuck off and stop acting like a child? I'm not going anywhere, you can either come to terms with that and shut your stupid mouth or don't, I don't give a fuck.

Excluding slorch because, well, it's slorch....nobody is taking shots, seriously. This has been a point of contention about Beard's coaching style for years, it's not new because he's now at Texas. Plenty of Texas fans have shared this same sentiment all season long.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Why don't you, instead, stop acting like a massive, gaping pussy just because you lost a game and can't handle it like an adult?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I don't get torn up over schedule losses, big fella. We all know how important that game was for you and how it's apparently important to convince yourselves that we're all wallowing in misery over it. I don't care about any of you posting here - it's the being annoying cunts in threads that have nothing to do with Tech part that gets old. 

I mean Jesus dude... I just sat through 6 years of Shaka Smart. I can handle a February road loss. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I don't get torn up over schedule losses, big fella. We all know how important that game was for you and how it's apparently important to convince yourselves that we're all wallowing in misery over it. I don't care about any of you posting here - it's the being annoying cunts in threads that have nothing to do with Tech part that gets old. 

I mean Jesus dude... I just sat through 6 years of Shaka Smart. I can handle a February road loss. 

I don't understand what the big deal is. I am not slorch. I think I've made it abundantly clear that I am a fan of Beard. I was extremely, sincerely complimentary after the game about how Beard managed the game, and yet your first reaction is I'm somehow taking veiled shots at him because I don't like (and never have liked) his offense. It's weird.

58 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I don't understand what the big deal is. I am not slorch. I think I've made it abundantly clear that I am a fan of Beard. I was extremely, sincerely complimentary after the game about how Beard managed the game, and yet your first reaction is I'm somehow taking veiled shots at him because I don't like (and never have liked) his offense. It's weird.

Same here.  I have zero animosity towards Beard at this point, but I've been frustrated with the offense for the past couple of years.  2019 he just had the right players in place to make that particular offense work better.

I thought Beard did a helluva coaching job last night contrary to what some of the Horn fans here have said.  Beard is a passionate and energetic coach, and he knows how to get his players to play at high levels.  But I like how Mark Adams coaches and manages a game as well.  As I have said repeatedly, it's too early for either side to claim they got the better coach.  TBD.

Edited by Uncle Nate

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

I don't understand what the big deal is. I am not slorch.

Indeed you are not.

I don't dislike Beard either. many times it seems like the Tech fans on here like him more than the Horns posters on here, save for some of the real hardcore gym rats who can see what the hell beard is having to do.

To your credit, you call it pretty damned straight up and I would agree you weren't taking shots.  Your sentiment/ frustration with Beard's offense is shared by many.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

well Ok but that doesn't mean you aren't a giant gaping pussy who just won his Super Bowl

My biggest takeaway from last night is that we should have signed Bryson Williams instead of Dylan Disu.  As I recall, he wanted to come here.  I think Disu might eventually end up being the better player, but Williams fits into Beard's style MUCH better.  Swap those two players last night and I think we might would have won.

Beard is in danger of falling into the classic trap of recruiting players that don't fit his style and system.  It is one of the reason why coaches go to big programs and then can't replicate their earlier success.  It is very hard to turn down a 5* player for a 3* player who you can coach and develop for 4 years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

My biggest takeaway from last night is that we should have signed Bryson Williams instead of Dylan Disu.  As I recall, he wanted to come here.  I think Disu might eventually end up being the better player, but Williams fits into Beard's style MUCH better.  Swap those two players last night and I think we might would have won.

Beard is in danger of falling into the classic trap of recruiting players that don't fit his style and system.  It is one of the reason why coaches go to big programs and then can't replicate their earlier success.  It is very hard to turn down a 5* player for a 3* player who you can coach and develop for 4 years.

This is what KU fans were saying about Bill Self early in his career. I wonder how Beard will pan out. 

Just now, Tommy Shelby said:

Not that anyone cares, but before seeing how emotional Beard got when coming back to the USA after seeing what he helped build really gained my respect. I don’t know if I could turn down an offer from my Alma mater if I was in his shoes. 

Apparently he got hit up for photos from a few Tech fans a few minutes before he got back on the bus to leave. He agreed, they snapped some pics and thanked him profusely. Hopefully last night ripped the bandaid off for the fans that are still upset at him and they can move on.

He was clearly feeling a lot of mixed emotions last night and I wish him nothing but the best moving forward, except when they play us. He did great things for us and I'll always be thankful for it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think the transfer portal muddies the waters in this area even more.  Now you have to be able to put together a team that can win with players who may only be there 1 or 2 years (either due to transferring in, or players who transfer out).  Totally changes the coaching dynamic going forward.  The good news for both UT and Tech is that they both have coaches who have experience putting together teams within this new paradigm.

15 years is a long time to dedicate to an organization.  And Tech would absolutely 100% not be where they currently are without him.  Not to mention the memories of a Title game and Elite 8.  Regardless of how they perceive that he left, if they can't appreciate his positive contributions to their school then they should just fuck off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

15 years is a long time to dedicate to an organization.  And Tech would absolutely 100% not be where they currently are without him.  Not to mention the memories of a Title game and Elite 8.  Regardless of how they perceive that he left, if they can't appreciate his positive contributions to their school then they should just fuck off.

The banners were still up, last time I checked.

The appreciation for what he did, combined with the hope/ reasonable expectation of future success are exactly why people feel the way they do. He quit, Tech fans didn't.  Are you wondering why Beard wasn't welcomed back like an alum like Jarrett Culver or Tariq Owens?

Nobody, save for a few weirdos, misses Shaka Smart.  Why not?   

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

The banners were still up, last time I checked.

The appreciation for what he did, combined with the hope/ reasonable expectation of future success are exactly why people feel the way they do. He quit, Tech fans didn't.  Are you wondering why Beard wasn't welcomed back like an alum like Jarrett Culver or Tariq Owens?

Nobody, save for a few weirdos, misses Shaka Smart.  Why not?   

Don't be daft. Nobody misses Shaka because he was effectively fired for performance. 

Your wording above is... odd.  If fans appreciated him and his contribution, they wouldn't be chanting "F Chris Beard".  I'm not saying he should be welcomed back with open arms. But he also shouldn't be treated with the degree of venom I have seen from Tech fans.  Maybe he will after this season. We will see.

In the end Tech fans aren't mad because he "quit". If he had gone to the NBA or had retired, he would still be loved.  He would probably even be cheered if he went somewhere like Kentucky or UNC. The fact that he went to UT is what burns everyone up.  Whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Don't be daft. Nobody misses Shaka because he was effectively fired for performance. 

Your wording above is... odd.  If fans appreciated him and his contribution, they wouldn't be chanting "F Chris Beard".  I'm not saying he should be welcomed back with open arms. But he also shouldn't be treated with the degree of venom I have seen from Tech fans.  Maybe he will after this season. We will see.

In the end Tech fans aren't mad because he "quit". If he had gone to the NBA or had retired, he would still be loved.  He would probably even be cheered if he went somewhere like Kentucky or UNC. The fact that he went to UT is what burns everyone up.  Whatever.

"My ex-wife was a great lady, but she left me for my brother. . I'm cool with it now."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what you are expecting from Tech fans.  SMDH.

Edited by slorch

"My ex-wife was a great lady, but she left me for my brother. . I'm cool with it now."

Dumb analogy. A coach leaving for his alma mater is exactly like a wife fucking her brother-in-law.  

Closer analogy would be the CEO of a company spends 15 years building the company, takes it public and increases earnings by 10x... and then leaves to go to a competitor, where he happened to start his career.  In such a case the guy wouldn't be welcomed with open arms, but there would be some appreciation that he made everybody rich.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

"My ex-girlfriend was a great lady that was responsible for the greatest night of my life, but she left me to marry my big brother who took her virginity years before we ever met. . I'm still a butthurt bitch about it now."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what you are expecting from Tech fans.  SMDH.

Fixed up the terrible analogy. 

I expected exactly what Tech fans have done, act like scorned bitches that have trouble handling the machinations of top tier college athletics. The fact you cunts are still here arguing about it is evidence of how desperate you seek affirmation from the Texas fanbase. Hope you enjoyed your mid-season home win. Maybe y'all can make a t-shirt or Yeti cup to commemorate.

3 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Fixed up the terrible analogy. 

I expected exactly what Tech fans have done, act like scorned bitches that have trouble handling the machinations of top tier college athletics. The fact you cunts are still here arguing about it is evidence of how desperate you seek affirmation from the Texas fanbase. Hope you enjoyed your mid-season home win. Maybe y'all can make a t-shirt or Yeti cup to commemorate.

arguing about what?  the score?

Hey Buckwheat, One of us was willing to speak publicly about the whole deal and it wasn't you.  Surly podcast.

I have posted repeatedly in support of how Chris Beard runs his program and the way he develops his teams.  No deviation whatsoever on my part.

The handful of Tech fans aren't seeking anything from you beyond (in)decent conversation and banter.  In the past 24 hours or so, a ton a y'all turned to complete bitches. If you mofos want to cry because we don't fucking love the way Chris Beard left, well, i don't know how to explain it to you that it just plain sucked. Do we wish he was back? No fucking way.   That's part of what bothers some on here, that we don't have "ditched fever."   "Oh if Chrissy wouldn't have left us, we wouldn't be 8-14 right now..."   Yeah, sorry.  y'all had your laughs in April.

We're good.  Y'all good.  but he's never going to be a beloved figure in Lubbock. Who fucking cares, besides maybe...y'all?  Seems the party seeking affirmation resides in Austin area.  Not our problem.

Good luck with the rest of the season.  and BTW, y'all make the round of 16 in my book.  I'm not backing off of that.  But y'all are still some whiny fucks.

Edited by slorch