Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

On 1/14/2022 at 6:20 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Will be very impressed with a win tomorrow in Ames. Texas has owned this series of late (8 of 10) but Iowa State is the more desperate team at 1-3 in conference and coming off an embarrassment in Lubbock.  They're good - 4 Quad-1 wins including double digits over Iowa, Xavier and Memphis and beat Tech.  Also took Baylor to the wire.     We have no Quad-1 wins.

Like I said, will be very impressed to get out of Ames with a win.

Nice prediction!

Edited by Tommy Shelby
  • Haha 1

Well losing at home to a bad team could bump them out completely unless they pull off a couple of road wins against tech, Baylor or Kansas. And of course the conference tourney. 

this team biggest issue is offense consistency. It’s what I posted about aj1 and why I wasn’t apologizing to him for his one game explosion last week. He had 5 last night and carr traded with him. It’s been that way all season long and we need that one constant lead scorer we can count on and the #2 and #3 scorers could interchange game to game. Instead we get that “I wonder who’s gonna bring it tonight” attitude and that’s not good for any team that hopes to make a tourney run.

18 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well losing at home to a bad team could bump them out completely unless they pull off a couple of road wins against tech, Baylor or Kansas. And of course the conference tourney. 

this team biggest issue is offense consistency. It’s what I posted about aj1 and why I wasn’t apologizing to him for his one game explosion last week. He had 5 last night and carr traded with him. It’s been that way all season long and we need that one constant lead scorer we can count on and the #2 and #3 scorers could interchange game to game. Instead we get that “I wonder who’s gonna bring it tonight” attitude and that’s not good for any team that hopes to make a tourney run.

The team is mentally weak. Aj and Ramey do their normal disappearing act every 3rd game.  

We got lucky covid hit ksu or that would have been a loss.

Maybe just let Carr roll and see what happens. Make sure the bugs hit the boards.

Less than 50% chance we make the tourney at this point. Agreed we will need multiple road upsets or beat both ku Baylor at home.

11 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

This team is painful….in an eye bleeding sort of way…to watch.

So the true believers say we’ll do shit in the Tournament because we play great defense?

Woooohoooo. Win an 8/9 game and lose to a No. 1 after going 8-10 in Conference. Out fucking standing

I would not call giving up at least 20 layups to KSU "great defense".

The players and Coach Beard blew it against KSU… with the foul situation our guards needed to turn into the paint hard off screens and draw fouls, not stop in the key and pass backwards… KSU was screening well in the paint on offense and their short guards were getting uncontested layups … their leading scorer needed to be denied the ball or doubleteamed occasionally to make things more difficult. We got lax and overdribbled a lot in the second half.

AJ played junior high level defense and got lazy (stood around for the 3) after showing a little life early in the game. All the “seasoned” Shaka realm holdovers played like overwhelmed freshman.

For reasons unknown (maybe with intent to matchup better with KSU?) Beard had Disu and Mitchell riding the bench when their presence in the paint might’ve helped on both ends.

Ugly offensive spacing and lack of crunch time plan, pace, adjustments and poise coupled with poor inside defense and some odd situational line-ups resulted in close loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

This team still trying to figure out "what the hell to do" and how to play together. Not a team yet -- sure hope Beard can bring these guys together...  

Unfortunately I couldn't watch much of game last night, so wondering about Beard's comments about our lack of urgency and competitive spirit --lacked aggressiveness ??

Texas Men's Basketball vs Kansas State Postgame Press Conference [Jan 18, 2022] 

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah no shit.  why are you talking about a guard running a pick and roll solving most of our problems then?

Do you think we never run pick and roll? Like ever? Do you think that having a guard that could attack the rim when we run high ball screens might help?

because we have no shooters, there's no lineup that i can come up with that is ideal. that said, i think i would like to roll with this lineup a lot more going forward:

Askew

Carr

Ramey

Allen

Disu

as others have pointed out, Carr is clearly at his best when he's playing off the ball and hunting buckets. 

Askew has to either become a threat to score, or to become a 6 ast/gm type PG. Ramey is there to space the floor and to hit catch-and-shoot threes. this leaves Allen and Disu to simply do their thing.

something else i'd be interested in trying is moving Tre Mitchell to the perimeter at times. he's not strong enough in the paint or on the glass to take minutes from Allen and Disu (or even Bishop for that matter), however he can definitely shoot the three in catch-and-shoot situations. i don't want him exclusively playing as a wing, but putting him out there from time to time on offense will help spread the floor and open up things for other players.

i'd like to see Bishop become a Brad Buckman type player. a junk yard dog with a lot of fight who can score inside the paint, as well as hitting open looks from 15-17 feet.

most of all, i just want to see this team start playing with aggression and decisiveness. it's beyond clear that this team has yet to jell, and the indecision and lack of aggression are killing us. people get mad at Carr for some of his shot selection (rightfully so), but at least he's aggressively trying to make something happen offensively. we desperately need more of that across the board. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Biggest downside of a motion offense is the best shot could be any of the 5 guys on the floor and is dependent upon the ball movement and off the ball screening so it could end up being whoever is in the right position. I’m sure beard has iso plays or plays designed to go to a certain person or for a certain shot but for the most part he runs that base motion offense. Motion offense needs all 5 guys completely bought in and running it for the purpose that the team scores and not an individual that scores. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

because we have no shooters, there's no lineup that i can come up with that is ideal. that said, i think i would like to roll with this lineup a lot more going forward:

Askew

Carr

Ramey

Allen

Disu

as others have pointed out, Carr is clearly at his best when he's playing off the ball and hunting buckets. 

Askew has to either become a threat to score, or to become a 6 ast/gm type PG. Ramey is there to space the floor and to hit catch-and-shoot threes. this leaves Allen and Disu to simply do their thing.

something else i'd be interested in trying is moving Tre Mitchell to the perimeter at times. he's not strong enough in the paint or on the glass to take minutes from Allen and Disu (or even Bishop for that matter), however he can definitely shoot the three in catch-and-shoot situations. i don't want him exclusively playing as a wing, but putting him out there from time to time on offense will help spread the floor and open up things for other players.

i'd like to see Bishop become a Brad Buckman type player. a junk yard dog with a lot of fight who can score inside the paint, as well as hitting open looks from 15-17 feet.

most of all, i just want to see this team start playing with aggression and decisiveness. it's beyond clear that this team has yet to jell, and the indecision and lack of aggression are killing us. people get mad at Carr for some of his shot selection (rightfully so), but at least he's aggressively trying to make something happen offensively. we desperately need more of that across the board. 

I'd like Bishop and Disu to just control the glass first.  I can see them getting some junk buckets and a "painted area" score now and then but it comes from controlling the glass.

maybe it's the hair but Askew to me just doesn't look like he controls the dribble well/seems somewhat head down out of control.  I guess you just roll with him.  he plays decent D it appears.

we have so many one and done's plus Licon/Cunningham that there really isn't much we can do.

We are basically down to hoping Carr can be hot all game and 2 other guys step up per game. KSU torched our perimeter D, completely embarrassed.  probably the most concerning thing because KSU isn't that good(regardless of what Beard said).

Our inability to shoot is exacerbated by our poor spacing.  If we're going to insist on running Knight's version of the motion offense at least spread it out and align guys where we don't have 3 and 4 guys inside the 3 point line at all times.  Davidson and even Gonzaga at times run a motion or continuity offense, but they've advanced it beyond the 1981 framework that never called for your guys to move outside of 15 feet from the basket.  There's no room for anyone to shoot in rhythm.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Our inability to shoot is exacerbated by our poor spacing.  If we're going to insist on running Knight's version of the motion offense at least spread it out and align guys where we don't have 3 and 4 guys inside the 3 point line at all times.  Davidson and even Gonzaga at times run a motion or continuity offense, but they've advanced it beyond the 1981 framework that never called for your guys to move outside of 15 feet from the basket.  There's no room for anyone to shoot in rhythm.  

This is a really good observation.

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Askew

Carr

Ramey

Allen

Disu

Give me Mitchell over Ramey.  Our 4 best offensive players plus a distributor.  Accept we need to take more shots and get more rebounds to score 

Go big (er) and let Mitchell be your catch and shoot guy. Attack the paint and the rim. We can’t shoot so just embrace it.

Ramey is better off the bench and in smaller doses. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

The dribble, dribble, dribble -- then pass with no purpose offense needs to go away.  Players are so damn scared of being benched for shooting a bad shot, that they are too fuckin' scared to be aggressive and shoot.

We need to be more aggressive on offense, and we need some nasty...

Popovich calls for Spurs to get 'nasty'

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That and we don’t have good shooters. Hopefully starting next year we start recruiting shooters and not just athletes. I’d rather have a roster from northern Iowa that can shoot lights out and will stay 4 years than a flashy 5 star one and done.

Makes too much sense.

9 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well losing at home to a bad team

I'm not convinced K-State is all that bad, even at risk of falling into the "Big XII beats the hell outta each other" trap.

It's not like losing to KU in football...

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That and we don’t have good shooters. Hopefully starting next year we start recruiting shooters and not just athletes. I’d rather have a roster from northern Iowa that can shoot lights out and will stay 4 years than a flashy 5 star one and done.

While none of them are elite Ramey entered this season with a career 3pt% of 37% and both Febres and AJ1 entered the season with career marks of 36% (admittedly both AJ1 and Febres in particular have always seemed to be much more volatile with their 3pt shooting and could just as easily knock down 6 or 7 in one game while going 0fer 8 in the next game). 

I like @shadow_operative's idea of stretching out Tre Mitchell (and Disu for that matter) more often. We need to create difficult choices for the defense which will happen if we combine the movement we already have with better spacing. Permanently placing 2 guys in the lane with a 3rd guy in close proximately just makes things too difficult for our already unathletic guards to create any space.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

23 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I dunno if we do though. Carr is a volume scorer that has to rely on the midrange. Jones and Ramey are Jones and Ramey. I think we need to find ways to get more looks for Allen and Bishop. Both are pretty good scorers for bigs but we don’t work a lot to get them good chances near the rim. 

Having a real guard who can break players down on the dribble and attack on the PnR though I think solves basically all the offensive issues. Hopefully Morris is truly that guy.

Bishop has no offensive game outside 3" from the basket. Disu and Mitchell apparently can't handle the ruggedness of the Big 12. Askew never should have changed his development curve by reclassifying. He's really a freshmen, but is probably another year away from being a consistent rotation player.

Allen and Carr are the consistent scorers on this team, which means the team will win or lose based on Ramey and Jones hitting open jumpers. In the 5 losses, those 2 have combined to shoot .351/.295/.933, when you take out Jones excellent game against ISU the numbers fall to .313/.243/.923. While the FT% is elite that comes on 15 total attempts by 2 players over 5 games, i.e. 3 combined attempts per game from your 2 most Big 12 experienced players.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, slorch said:

I'm not convinced K-State is all that bad, even at risk of falling into the "Big XII beats the hell outta each other" trap.

Right now, they're #55 in KenPom, which is a long way from bad.  They're a borderline tournament team.  When we beat them in Manhattan, they could barely field a starting 5 due to covid protocols, which also kept their coach off the bench.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

Tech fans bought up all remaining seats for the Feb 1st game. Nicknamed "Operation Austin Take Over"

https://kkam.com/texas-tech-fans-allegedly-sell-out-arenas-in-austin-too/

1st. 19th. Tomato. Tomahto. 

1st is in Lubbock. 19th is in Austin. Plan to be there. Which one if you horns wants to buy me a whiskey?

22 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Beard’s number one priority, to me, has to be figuring out getting into our sets. We start slowly or go through droughts when people pressure our ball handlers or blitz the ball screens. Everyone is taking it right to us and we aren’t able to get going. When that happens, the offense collapses 

giphy.gif

Texas has to be more aggressive earlier in offensive possessions... 

Back in April, Derka predicted 20-13( assuming 33 game season,) but that was before we knew of the quality of some of the transfers Beard would bring in.

To get to my 24-9 prediction, y'all would have to go 9-4/ 10-3 down the stretch.  Y'all will lose your fucking minds if that happens.  LOL.

13 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

Tech fans bought up all remaining seats for the Feb 1st game. Nicknamed "Operation Austin Take Over"

https://kkam.com/texas-tech-fans-allegedly-sell-out-arenas-in-austin-too/

There will be mass suicides in Lubbock if we somehow beat that team.  I've never seen a more unhinged fanbase aside from maybe the Yankees/Dodgers these last few seasons.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1