Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

You aren’t wrong, it’s been happening plenty. Rick pointed it out, it’s on film. It’s not so much full court but if you double Carr and/or blitz our ball screens we are sunk. It’s why I prefer Timmy or Askew running the show

His late-game free throws notwithstanding, Timmy looks composed with the dribble and I was relieved anytime the ball made its way into his hands late. I thought the play leading up to his free throws was very well executed.

Even in general halfcourt sets, I like it when Allen receives the ball at the top of the arc. He sees the floor well and usually does something positive.

I'm not here to hate on Carr as I'm not as down on him as many others, but he definitely dribbles too much and almost always seems a half-second late to make that incisive pass.

But things are definitely getting better. They looked great against TCU and Tennessee ...when they weren't turning the ball over. Beard mentioned the giveaways in his presser. If our 'Horns can limit them to 10 or less a game, they are going to do some damage.

So for discussion purposes, how will Texas do over their next 10 games??

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Tue, 2/1
@TTU13 TTU
8:00 PM

espn-2@2x.png

Sat, 2/5
vsISU23 ISU
1:00 PM

espn-longhorn@2x.png

Mon, 2/7
vsKU5 KU

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 2/12
@BAY4 BAY
11:00 AM    
Tue, 2/15
@OUOU
6:00 PM    
Sat, 2/19
vsTTU13 TTU
11:30 AM

espn-abc@2x.png

Wed, 2/23
vsTCUTCU
Sat, 2/26
@WVUWVU
TBD    
Mon, 2/28
vsBAY4 BAY

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 3/5
@KU5 KU
3:00 PM

espn-red@2x.png

My guess is 3-7, which results in an 8-10 conference record, and 19-12 season record

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

When did I say turnovers didn't play a role in the game getting close? 

It obviously did but it wouldn't have mattered if Texas made 4 or 5 of those missed FTs. 

Again, I could flip the argument and it would just be as valid. "If Texas didn't turn the ball over six times in the final 7:04, those missed free throws wouldn't have mattered."

It's dumb.

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Again, I could flip the argument and it would just be as valid. "If Texas didn't turn the ball over six times in the final 7:04, those missed free throws wouldn't have mattered."

It's dumb.

My argument wasn't that Texas didn't turn the ball over and that it didn't impact the game. My argument was that burning clock would have been perfectly fine in this game if Texas made their FTs. 

I'm not sure why you're making this about turnovers vs FTs. They both contributed to the game getting close but point is that even with the turnovers the strategy of burning clock wins this game comfortably with made FTs. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

We'd be a 5-7 seed if the bracket was announced today.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I have no clue why people keep saying this. Texas is nowhere near the bubble. 

Not possible. @dcar00 has assured me ad nauseum that we are not making the tournament.

7 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

His late-game free throws notwithstanding, Timmy looks composed with the dribble and I was relieved anytime the ball made its way into his hands late. I thought the play leading up to his free throws was very well executed.

Even in general halfcourt sets, I like it when Allen receives the ball at the top of the arc. He sees the floor well and usually does something positive.

I'm not here to hate on Carr as I'm not as down on him as many others, but he definitely dribbles too much and almost always seems a half-second late to make that incisive pass.

But things are definitely getting better. They looked great against TCU and Tennessee ...when they weren't turning the ball over. Beard mentioned the giveaways in his presser. If our 'Horns can limit them to 10 or less a game, they are going to do some damage.

Allen is pretty clearly our best player and we need to be running the offense through him more. Carr is clearly at his best off ball, so let's kill two birds with one stone here. I was really glad to see we went to Allen instead of Carr at the end of the game. I've yet to see Carr get even a decent shot during crunch time when he starts the possession.

Really sucks that Disu has fallen off a cliff. He looked so promising early but has really struggled the last two weeks. He's our best rim protector and rebounder so we really need him to play more minutes, especially into March. Mitchell's not physical enough and Bishop is too small. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

My argument wasn't that Texas didn't turn the ball over and that it didn't impact the game. My argument was that burning clock would have been perfectly fine in this game if Texas made their FTs. 

I'm not sure why you're making this about turnovers vs FTs. They both contributed to the game getting close but point is that even with the turnovers the strategy of burning clock wins this game comfortably with made FTs. 

I don't know why this is controversial. 

Most of the final possessions (including 2 Bishop missed free throws, 2 Ramey missed free throws, and 1 Allen miss freed throw) made this a 1 point win instead of a comfortable 5 or 6 point win. The other point is that Bishop and Ramey making those free throws also changes the strategy of Tennessee as they likely would have needed 3s. 

I'm not sure I'm a fan of "burning clock"  but even with all the stupid shit from last night it was never in doubt if Texas makes their free throws. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You're the one making this about that, even in your conclusion above.

I made a post about how opponents should press our players because they don't seem to handle it well. It was a general observation that applied to all our remaining games.

You responded that last night's turnovers wouldn't have mattered if the team made free throws down the stretch. Of course that's true. But those missed free throws wouldn't have mattered, either, if Texas didn't turn the ball over so much. That is also true. So your "argument" is pointlessly dumb and doesn't really have anything to do with what I was trying to say.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You're the one making this about that, even in your conclusion above.

I made a post about how opponents should press our players because they don't seem to handle it well. It was a general observation that applied to all our remaining games.

You responded that last night's turnovers wouldn't have mattered if the team made free throws down the stretch. Of course that's true. But those missed free throws wouldn't have mattered, either, if Texas didn't turn the ball over so much. That is also true. So your "argument" is pointlessly dumb and doesn't really have anything to do with what I was trying to say.

1) In terms of pressing, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Texas obviously struggles with it late in games. Is that because Texas is burning clock or they have legitimate issues with the press? My guess is it's probably both but my point was simply that I'm not sure pressing Texas is a wise strategy for a full game when Texas is actually attacking. Texas is offensively challenged so easy buckets are something Texas would love to have. You can generate turnovers against Texas without pressing and without potentially giving up fast break points to an offense that struggles in the half court.  

2) Maybe it was bad language on my part but the point was never that "turnovers didn't matter." It was in reference to the strategy of burning clock. Even with all the turnovers, issues with the press, bad half court offense, or whatever the game is over if Texas makes 4/5 of those missed FTs in the final 4 minutes. Point being, that I don't think this game was a great way to evaluate the burning clock strategy. It's obvious that turnovers are problem but that was never my argument...it was about burning clock as a strategy. 

34 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Tue, 2/1
@TTU13 TTU

espn-2@2x.png

Sat, 2/5
vsISU23 ISU

espn-longhorn@2x.png

Mon, 2/7
vsKU5 KU

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 2/12
@BAY4 BAY
Tue, 2/15
@OUOU
Sat, 2/19
vsTTU13 TTU

espn-abc@2x.png

Wed, 2/23
vsTCUTCU
Sat, 2/26
@WVUWVU
TBD    
Mon, 2/28
vsBAY4 BAY

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 3/5
@KU5 KU

espn-red@2x.png

My guess is 3-7, which results in an 8-10 conference record, and 19-12 season record

5-5 and hope for better. And we are not a fucking bubble team as we stand today. Just stop.

And let’s just all agree that making FT’s, especially down the stretch, is crucial.  And not turning the ball over is also crucial. Some of you seem to love to argue over trivial shit. 

Sure, this team can drive you crazy with their play at times. But no matter how you slice it, 100x better than watching basketball over the past couple of seasons. Shaka led offense was absolutely maddening. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Most of the final possessions (including 2 Bishop missed free throws, 2 Ramey missed free throws, and 1 Allen miss freed throw) made this a 1 point win instead of a comfortable 5 or 6 point win. The other point is that Bishop and Ramey making those free throws also changes the strategy of Tennessee as they likely would have needed 3s. 

I'm not sure I'm a fan of "burning clock"  but even with all the stupid shit from last night it was never in doubt if Texas makes their free throws. 

It looked like Barnes was about to throw in the towel on the game before the 2 missed Bishop FTs. That was a 5 point swing from Bishop's 2 missed FTs to a 3 pointer on the other end. 

It went from potentially a 14 point lead to 9 so Barnes had to chase a result after that. 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I have no clue why people keep saying this. Texas is nowhere near the bubble. 

Likely because Texas's closing stretch is really tough. 10 remaining games and only TCU is not either a ranked team or on the road. Texas could close 3-7 or worse. 19-12 heading into the conference tournament would not be a good spot for Texas.

This team has no consistency within games, let alone game to game.

38 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You're both arguing in circles but TS12 isn't arguing this. 

You could make the point that turnovers and missed free throws contributed to the close result but I believe TS12's point is slowing tempo wasn't the wrong strategy at the end of this game. I'm not a believer in burning clock but I do believe it was the right strategy in this one based on how Tennessee was struggling to score. 

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That's a fair counter, but I wonder how much of that is our players not finding the open man or not making that decisive pass fast enough.

Also, if what you say is true, then that's alarming. I desperately hope Beard would not instruct his players to pass up bunnies in hopes of killing another 15-20 seconds.

It's not a fair counter, because Texas doesn't handle pressure at all. It doesn't matter when or where the pressure comes from. When Texas struggled early in the game, they were having the ball ripped from their hands. They are weak and athletically limited. Which explains the TOs and rebounds. Also, the veteran guards are reverting back to the Shaka offense where they go stand in a spot for 15 seconds before moving.

30 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

5-5 and hope for better. And we are not a fucking bubble team as we stand today. Just stop.  

Based on current record, yeah not a bubble team.  But go 3-7 over next 10 games which is realistic, then they have an 8-10 record in the B12 conference and probably are a bubble team.  And unfortunately, that's what I see so far from this Texas team. 

Hope they prove me wrong... 🤘  

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

Just now, HtownHorn said:

It's not a fair counter, because Texas doesn't handle pressure at all. It doesn't matter when or where the pressure comes from. When Texas struggled early in the game, they were having the ball ripped from their hands. They are weak and athletically limited. Which explains the TOs and rebounds. Also, the veteran guards are reverting back to the Shaka offense where they go stand in a spot for 15 seconds before moving.

Yeah, but you can generate the same result against Texas in the half court. Tennessee bothered our guards just as much in the half court by hedging hard all night. We don't have guards that can beat anyone off the dribble. Pressure doesn't have to imply full court press. 

Texas turns the ball over just as much in the half court as they do when teams press. 

For a team that already struggles offensively in the half court, turns the ball over a lot, etc my guess is they would love to get a few easy baskets from full court pressure. 

55 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yep. Ramey and Bishop make 3 out of 4, Tennessee is having to foul to stop the clock, instead of Allen needing a shot to win the game.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, but you can generate the same result against Texas in the half court. Tennessee bothered our guards just as much in the half court by hedging hard all night. We don't have guards that can beat anyone off the dribble. Pressure doesn't have to imply full court press. 

Texas turns the ball over just as much in the half court as they do when teams press. 

For a team that already struggles offensively in the half court, turns the ball over a lot, etc my guess is they would love to get a few easy baskets from full court pressure. 

This team is incapable of executing against a full court press, they are low IQ players. Go watch what UH did last night against UCF's full court press if you want to see how to defeat it with relative ease.

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Every player on the team except for perhaps Cunningham and Askew keeps the ball too long. We better cure this disease soon or we won't be dancing for too long in March.

Not entirely true. I wish Tre Mitchell could hang on to the ball longer. 

• Rage+1 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

This team is incapable of executing against a full court press, they are low IQ players. Go watch what UH did last night against UCF's full court press if you want to see how to defeat it with relative ease.

Yeah, but the same is true of half court defense. Tennessee hedged hard all night in the half court with those athletic guards and we didn't have the athleticism to beat them off the dribble. 

Tennessee had the same amount of success in half court defense as they did with the press but the turning point was Tennessee started making shots on offense. 

I'm not sure it's IQ as much as Texas simply doesn't have any special athletes at guard. Regardless, there are multiple ways to give Texas issues with our guards. My personal opinion is I would try to limit fast break points with Texas because they struggle to score so much in the half court. The press would probably give Texas issues but it would also lead to easy buckets. I think Texas would take that trade off. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Tue, 2/1
@TTU13 TTU

espn-2@2x.png

Sat, 2/5
vsISU23 ISU

espn-longhorn@2x.png

Mon, 2/7
vsKU5 KU

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 2/12
@BAY4 BAY
Tue, 2/15
@OUOU
Sat, 2/19
vsTTU13 TTU

espn-abc@2x.png

Wed, 2/23
vsTCUTCU
Sat, 2/26
@WVUWVU
TBD    
Mon, 2/28
vsBAY4 BAY

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 3/5
@KU5 KU

espn-red@2x.png

I think at worst we get 2 wins out of the Tech, Baylor and Kansas games. Baylor is very beatable and Kansas just got smoked at home by UK. The other 4 games are all extremely winnable granted we probably drop one of those. OU just isn't very good. ISU and TCU at home should both be wins. Morgantown is tough but WVU isn't great. My worst case scenario would be 4-6 but I think 6-4 is entirely possible. 5-5 maybe most likely. 

Vegas wouldn't have us favored in less than 6 of those games if you played them today. (Maybe 5 actually - Texas/OU lines can be weird)

Edited by ztejas

31 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, but the same is true of half court defense. Tennessee hedged hard all night in the half court with those athletic guards and we didn't have the athleticism to beat them off the dribble. 

Tennessee had the same amount of success in half court defense as they did with the press but the turning point was Tennessee started making shots on offense. 

I'm not sure it's IQ as much as Texas simply doesn't have any special athletes at guard. Regardless, there are multiple ways to give Texas issues with our guards. My personal opinion is I would try to limit fast break points with Texas because they struggle to score so much in the half court. The press would probably give Texas issues but it would also lead to easy buckets. I think Texas would take that trade off. 

Texas finding any way to get easy points is a positive. Everything is tough in the half court. This will be an interesting thought experiment when Texas goes to Morgantown. 

I view it much like an offensive team in football that isn’t good but can hit a few explosive plays. Texas needs a few “explosive” plays in basketball terms even if they still aren’t a great offensive team. 

Full court pressure may force Beard to speed up tempo which could lead to easier points.The best strategy against Texas is to harass the guards which I agree can happen as much in the half court. Like you said a few pages back, this team really misses Coleman who could create off the dribble. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think at worst we get 2 wins out of the Tech, Baylor and Kansas games. Baylor is very beatable and Kansas just got smoked at home by UK. The other 4 games are all extremely winnable granted we probably drop one of those. OU just isn't very good. ISU and TCU at home should both be wins. Morgantown is tough but WVU isn't great. My worst case scenario would be 4-6 but I think 6-4 is entirely possible. 5-5 maybe most likely. 

Vegas wouldn't have us favored in less than 6 of those games if you played them today. (Maybe 5 actually - Texas/OU lines can be weird)

I hope Texas can win 1 game out of the 6 vs tech/baylor/kansas, and 3 out of 4 from the remaining games vs tcu/wvu/isu/blOU for a best case 4-6 record over the next 10 games... that would get Texas to 9-9 in B12 and assure Texas an NCAA tournament bid.  I

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I hope Texas can win 1 game out of the 6 vs tech/baylor/kansas, and 3 out of 4 from the remaining games vs tcu/wvu/isu/blOU for a best case 4-6 record over the next 10 games... that would get Texas to 9-9 in B12 and assure Texas an NCAA tournament bid.  I

8-10 they are in assuming that puts them in top 5 of the league.  It's extremely likely that the top 5 of the Big 12, probably 6 due to the strength of other major conferences.

• Like 1

Yeah, there are going to be a few Big 12 teams with bad conference records. 

There is no chance the NCAA committee is only taking 4 or 5 teams from the best conference in the country when the PAC sucks, the ACC is the worst it’s been in years, and the big 10 isn’t as strong as it normally is.

A couple sub .500 Big 12 teams are going to make tournament. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, there are going to be a few Big 12 teams with bad conference records.  There is no chance the NCAA committee is only taking 4 or 5 teams from the best conference in the country when the PAC sucks, the ACC is the worst it’s been in years, and the big 10 isn’t as strong as it normally is.  A couple sub .500 Big 12 teams are going to make tournament. 

Interesting discussion is how many teams from B12 make NCAA tournament.  Gotta believe 6 teams for sure...

I need someone to explain this one to me. 

Texas is 46th in offensive rebounding percentage and 201st in defensive rebounding percentage. What's the disparity here? My only thought process is Beard's defensive scheme leads to issues on the defensive boards but I'm pretty sure Beard's defensive rebounding numbers weren't bad at Tech (need to go back and look though). 

Texas is 46th in offensive rebounding percentage and 201st in defensive rebounding percentage. What's the disparity here? My only thought process is Beard's defensive scheme leads to issues on the defensive boards but I'm pretty sure Beard's defensive rebounding numbers weren't bad at Tech (need to go back and look though). 

The rebounding was overall not very good at Tech, on either side, in any year.

It's significantly better for us this year than it was in any year under Beard. I'm not sure if that's scheme-related or just the difference in players we brought in.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think rockethorn was right that there are a lot of football fans that have no clue how college basketball works. 

Everyone takes losses in college basketball. This isn’t football where a loss is a deciding factor on your season. There are Texas fans that see 5 losses and think Texas sucks because they have a complete misunderstanding of the sport. 

Are there people like this or is this something you and rockethorn pulled out of your ass?  I don’t know of anyone like this. 

Rather, they could’ve watched the KSU game and concluded this team isn’t very good, which would have been reasonable. Everyone knows the difference between football and basketball regular seasons.

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Are there people like this or is this something you and rockethorn pulled out of your ass?  I don’t know of anyone like this. 

Rather, they could’ve watched the KSU game and concluded this team isn’t very good, which would have been reasonable. Everyone knows the difference between football and basketball regular seasons.

It's a common theme on twitter and not just Longhorn fans. I think you would be surprised by how many average fans don't understand the difference. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

8-10 they are in assuming that puts them in top 5 of the league.  It's extremely likely that the top 5 of the Big 12, probably 6 due to the strength of other major conferences.

The latest bracketology had the Big 12 receiving the most bids. It's going to take a complete tank job over the final 10 for Texas to be left out. Every team left on our schedule is no worse than a bubble team.

Well, the OR% is helped by the fact we run a snail's pace offense, turn the ball over a lot, and make a pretty decent amount. So, we could get 5 ORs on 17 or so misses and the OR% is nearly 30%.

Texas is a very poor rebounding team with poor fundamentals. Last night I saw Mitchell face a Tennesse player and just hold him, instead of blocking out for the rebound. Of course, it was rightly called a foul.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

The folks saying we miss Coleman are right. This team is a decent PG away from being really good. We turn the ball over too much. When we get shots up, we are very efficient 

It’s exactly why I want Askew running the 1 more often. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

That’s almost exactly how I see it. Kansas might beat us in Austin but it’s certainly no guarantee. OU is beatable in Norman. WVU, ISU, TCU all potential for wins. I could see 3-7 as the absolute worst but I think 3-7 is just as likely as 5-5. 4-6 seems about right

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah @Catdaddyhorn brought this up earlier in the thread. The OU team a year after Trae Young went 7-11. 

I think there's a good chance of it happening again this season. 

man, that's the Shaka NIT year. we didn't make it at 8-10 and OU did at 7-11. of course Texas was 16-16 after the Big 12 tournament and had lost to radford, vcu, and providence at home. six teams made it that year.  7 made it in 2018

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s exactly why I want Askew running the 1 more often. 

That’s almost exactly how I see it. Kansas might beat us in Austin but it’s certainly no guarantee. OU is beatable in Norman. WVU, ISU, TCU all potential for wins. I could see 3-7 as the absolute worst but I think 3-7 is just as likely as 5-5. 4-6 seems about right

if they get 2 wins out of KU/Tech/Baylor they are in.  WVU and OU are probably losses.   ISU/TCU probably wins.

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The latest bracketology had the Big 12 receiving the most bids. It's going to take a complete tank job over the final 10 for Texas to be left out. Every team left on our schedule is no worse than a bubble team.

How many bids does bracketology have for sec ??

Kansas and baylor losses yesterday probably hurt the B12 reputation a little yesterday.  After tech, kansas, baylor and possibly iowa state, the B12 may be overrated right now as far as bracketology projections go. 

Still a lot more to prove for blOU, tcu, wva, and Texas.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What?  Notable wins that are better than Stanford, per KenPom:

13 Tennessee 

30 Oklahoma

50 TCU

51 Oklahoma State

64 West Virginia

73 Kansas State

90 Stanford

Hard to trust Kenpom ratings when they have Texas rated #15...  

I hope what we have witnessed so far from the Longhorns is not the #15 ranked team or else college basketball is terrible...   YIKES

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I hope what we have witnessed so far from the Longhorns is not the #15 ranked team or else college basketball is terrible...   YIKES

Lol almost every ranking system has Texas ranked near 15. 

Kenpom #15

NET #17

T-Rank #13

BPI #17

Sagarin #16

The only real outlier is KPI at #37. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

the Tenn win was big to have at least one good OOC win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lol almost every ranking system has Texas ranked near 15. 

Kenpom #15, NET #17, T-Rank #13, BPI #17, Sagarin #16.  The only real outlier is KPI at #37. 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Who do you believe, the computers or his lying eyes??

That's funny @Js1

"N.W.A.  Fuck da Computer Ratings"  then... 😋

Based on what we all have watched from this Texas basketball team so far this season, they probably deserve to be ranked somewhere between 22-25.  

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

That's funny @Js1

"N.W.A.  Fuck da Computer Ratings"  then... 😋

Based on what we all have watched from this Texas basketball team so far this season, they probably deserve to be ranked somewhere between 22-25.  

22-25 is still not a bubble team. 

If the NCAA women’s committee reveal is an eye into the men’s, it’s that NET matters more than any metric.