Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Fran Fraschilla just called Texas a Work in Progress team (due to all the transfers) that lacks athleticism...

Horns better become a tougher, blue collar team that rebounds a lot better, and executes more effectively on offense.

I, uh, don't think we're a very good team, period. Good defense maybe but you win games by scoring more than the other team. We can't do that to teams with a pulse.

16 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I, uh, don't think we're a very good team, period. Good defense maybe but you win games by scoring more than the other team. We can't do that to teams with a pulse.

We scored 74 on Gonzaga with 45% team shooting from the field. We scored 74 against Gonzaga. We had a great first half offensively and then a terrible second half against Seton Hall. Our offense needs to get better but we aren’t some inept offensive team

x/post:

everyone is in a new offense, and everyone is new to each other. and, everyone is used to being The Man. i thought we'd have jelled more by now, but i'm not losing hope just yet. i've been posting about it all season here- indecision, passing up good looks, playing more passively than aggressively- our guys are thinking way too much, instead of just playing.

it's not something you can track like a statistic, but it's so real, and so important. when hoopers are at their best their brains are turned off and they become hooping machines, void of over-thinking anything. our guys are in their heads, no doubt because of all of the newness that surrounds them. this will be the story of our season- the more our guys get comfortable with each other and with Beard's style, the more of a threat we are to beat anybody. I'm still preaching patience, but we do need to see improvement.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, pacman said:

Beard is rebuilding a program that returned only a few players. Preseason hype aside, it will not be a smooth ride in year one.

We’re 12-3. We will be fine. The problem is the expectations. The hype got everyone thinking final 4 in year one but a tournament win will happen so I’d call that a smooth transition.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The big 12 is a damn good league.  We’re going to beat some good teams and we are going to lose to some good teams.  We’ll probably be a top 3 team in this league which is nothing to sneeze at considering the new coaches, new system, and players that have never played together. 

The preseason hype was through the roof but I kept expectations in check to see the product on the floor. Based on what I’ve seen thus far, we’re a fringe T25 team. The B12 is as good and competitive as ever. Texas will be fortunate to win 10 games in league play. That said - they probably win 20+ games and go to the big dance this year. Not bad for a first year coach that only had a quarter of the roster return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We are seeing why veteran teams from smaller conferences have a lot of success relative to their seed in the tournament. You just can't bring in 6 Top 30 transfers and assume they are going to mesh in 40 games. However, the real problem is the lack of elite athleticism on this team. Even Disu doesn't jump out of the gym, he often looks awkward with his slumped shoulders.

I credit Beard for bringing in the players and hype, but he and the coaches need to due a much better job in the portal going forward with bringing in some athletes as well as some high IQ players.

I watched Taze Moore play for UH yesterday, that dude would be the best player on this team. He was some lowly portal guy from Cal State Bakersfield.

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

The big 12 is a damn good league.  We’re going to beat some good teams and we are going to lose to some good teams.  We’ll probably be a top 3 team in this league which is nothing to sneeze at considering the new coaches, new system, and players that have never played together. 

Based on what I have seen thus far, Texas is not a Top 3 team in the B12 right now.  Beard has a lot of work ahead of him in the conference games of the B12.

These guys are not a team yet -- gonna have to somehow find it during league play which will really be a bitch especially during COVID.   

Because these guys haven't played much together yet, I 'm still not really sure what are the best rotations and personnel groups that work best together.  I'm really interested to watch how Beard structures things as he attempts to bring this team together.

Really wish Texas had better point guard play right now -- that's a big part of their offensive struggles.

if you look at this team through the lens of preseason predictions made by CBB fans/experts, you might find yourself pissed off right now. if you look at this team through the lens of what was left over when Shaka left (as i do), then i don't see how you can find yourself particularly upset at anything we've seen to this point. we absolutely need to improve offensively if we want to achieve our goals, but seriously- if you're already angry and pissed about this team then you need some perspective.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if you look at this team through the lens of preseason predictions made by CBB fans/experts, you might find yourself pissed off right now. if you look at this team through the lens of what was left over when Shaka left (as i do), then i don't see how you can find yourself particularly upset at anything we've seen to this point. we absolutely need to improve offensively if we want to achieve our goals, but seriously- if you're already angry and pissed about this team then you need some perspective.

I just want to start seeing our offense get better and guys to look for their shot more and to stop starting games so slow, especially on the road 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I just want to start seeing our offense get better and guys to look for their shot more and to stop starting games so slow, especially on the road 

2 hours ago, TxTower said:

The preseason hype was through the roof but I kept expectations in check to see the product on the floor. Based on what I’ve seen thus far, we’re a fringe T25 team. The B12 is as good and competitive as ever. Texas will be fortunate to win 10 games in league play. That said - they probably win 20+ games and go to the big dance this year. Not bad for a first year coach that only had a quarter of the roster return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They to me look like a 6 seed who would be one of the upset favorites. An 8/9 won’t surprise me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Most college basketball fans are regards so… if it’s not 87-45 we suck. This will be a multiple year rebuild by beard and after another season of a great class he will have us in good position. Reality is that if we’re lucky we will see one title and the rest could be sweet 16 a elevate 8 and maybe another final four and even the dukes and Kansas does that and still have first or second round choke jobs. We will be fine.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Based on what I have seen thus far, Texas is not a Top 3 team in the B12 right now. 

That's fair.  I think it's almost a lock we'll get swept by Baylor and Kansas, and OSU clearly knew how to play us.  They are likely the most athletic team in the B12, maybe Baylor.  But, 5th or 6th in the B12 is typically rewarded with a decent seed in the tournament.  I think that's a reasonable goal.

Last year, OSU finished 5th in the conference (21-9, 11-7) and landed a 4 seed.  I think those are reasonable expectations for overall & conference records.  

I mean if we can lose to Okie on the road we can lose to literally anyone in conference, and we’re 12-3 without a quality win. I’d be interested in what the splits on those Gonzaga #’s are when the game was competitive vs when it was out of reach. I’m not confident we make the tournament. We’re not a very good team based on yesterday’s performance. Maybe it’s a one off and I hope I’m wrong, but that was the dregs of the conference that beat us pretty soundly yesterday. 

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's fair.  I think it's almost a lock we'll get swept by Baylor and Kansas, and OSU clearly knew how to play us.  They are likely the most athletic team in the B12, maybe Baylor.  But, 5th or 6th in the B12 is typically rewarded with a decent seed in the tournament.  I think that's a reasonable goal.

Last year, OSU finished 5th in the conference (21-9, 11-7) and landed a 4 seed.  I think those are reasonable expectations for overall & conference records.  

Yeah, hopefully no worse than 5th or 6th in B12 regular season is my hope right now.  Won't be surprised if Horns end up 9-9 in B12 conference.  Horns desperately need to beat Tennessee when they come to Austin.

I'm not down on this team right now, just want to see them continue improving and valuing offensive possessions better.

I think @Js1 said somewhere that sees Texas currently at edge of T25,  and @The Ace of Aces said "They to me look like a 6 seed who would be one of the upset favorites. An 8/9 won’t surprise me.

Right now,  I put Texas between #30-35 with a lot of room for improvement...

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Right now,  I put Texas between #30-35 with a lot of room for improvement...

Well, it's not definitive, but the two rankings systems I know of have us ranked #16 (KenPom) and #17 (NET).  Sagarin has us at #19.  At some point it's probably worth considering the idea that teams are getting more connected and that the "objective" rankings are starting to approach reality.

Of course, shitting the bed in conference will take care of all that.

38 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I mean if we can lose to Okie on the road we can lose to literally anyone in conference, and we’re 12-3 without a quality win. I’d be interested in what the splits on those Gonzaga #’s are when the game was competitive vs when it was out of reach. I’m not confident we make the tournament. We’re not a very good team based on yesterday’s performance. Maybe it’s a one off and I hope I’m wrong, but that was the dregs of the conference that beat us pretty soundly yesterday. 

There are 8 top 35 defenses out of 10 teams in the Big 12. Almost every Big 12 road game is going to be rock fight for everyone other than maybe Baylor. 

Texas vs Ok State and Kansas vs Texas Tech proved that yesterday. I expect more of the same. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

People are overreacting to these road games. Kansas and Oklahoma State were in an even game for 32 minutes  a couple nights ago and they just lost on the road to an undermanned Texas Tech team. 

Outside of Baylor, every Big 12 team is going to struggle in games on the road. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

By my count so far, Big 12 teams are 8-4 at home in conference. The wins on the road are Baylor over TCU, Texas over K-State, Kansas over Oklahoma State (close game for 32 minutes), Baylor over Iowa State (close game). 

2 of those wins were against the 2 bottom tier teams in the Big 12 (TCU and K-State) and the 3rd win was a rock fight with Kansas over Oklahoma State. 

Winning on the road in this conference is going to be a grind because of how many elite defenses there are in the Big 12. The key is holding home court and finding a way to win a few games on the road. 

it never ceases to amaze me how everyone around here knows/says "it's hard to win on the road in the big xii", only to then freak out whenever we lose on the road. 

the game sucked. we were terrible offensively. it was one game, in the first week of january. if it becomes a trend, then sure, that sucks. but again, this entire regular season ain't shit but trying to build chemistry before the tourney. we aren't going to win the league. we know this. let's look for growth, and not start bitching/freaking out about the team in early january. let's act like we've watched college hoops before. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

I mean if we can lose to Okie on the road we can lose to literally anyone in conference, and we’re 12-3 without a quality win. 

West Virginia will be close to a Q1 win at the end of the year. You don't understand how the NCAA committee evaluates wins and losses. 

Oklahoma State won't even be a bad loss (even though it seems that  way). It will be a Q1 loss at the end of the season in all likelihood. This is why 11-7 Big 12 teams get 5 seeds. 

Edited by texasstrong12

20 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it never ceases to amaze me how everyone around here knows/says "it's hard to win on the road in the big xii", only to then freak out whenever we lose on the road. 

the game sucked. we were terrible offensively. it was one game, in the first week of january. if it becomes a trend, then sure, that sucks. but again, this entire regular season ain't shit but trying to build chemistry before the tourney. we aren't going to win the league. we know this. let's look for growth, and not start bitching/freaking out about the team in early january. let's act like we've watched college hoops before. 

I posted in the women's basketball thread that this season would be much like Schaefer's year 1. Ups and downs but a good team by March. The idea is to win in March. 

Nobody remembers Schaefer going 11-7 in the Big 12 last season because he made an Elite 8. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

By my count so far, Big 12 teams are 8-4 at home in conference. The wins on the road are Baylor over TCU, Texas over K-State, Kansas over Oklahoma State (close game for 32 minutes), Baylor over Iowa State (close game). 

2 of those wins were against the 2 bottom tier teams in the Big 12 (TCU and K-State) and the 3rd win was a rock fight with Kansas over Oklahoma State. 

Winning on the road in this conference is going to be a grind because of how many elite defenses there are in the Big 12. The key is holding home court and finding a way to win a few games on the road. 

It’s crazy to me that people are acting like losing road games in the Big 12 is some kind of crazy thing that means this team isn’t good. This isn’t new. This conference has been probably the most difficult in America to win on the road for almost a decade. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s crazy to me that people are acting like losing road games in the Big 12 is some kind of crazy thing that means this team isn’t good. This isn’t new. This conference has been probably the most difficult in America to win on the road for almost a decade. 

It's just an unreal conference and I thought the Big 12 was actually going to be down this year. 

12/18 games will be against Kenpom top 40 teams and 14/18 games will be against Kenpom top 45 teams. 7 games on the road against top 45 teams per Kenpom. 

13 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

I wouldn't call them dregs. Okla St had a lot of injuries they battled through to star the season. I believe those twin forwards missed a good deal of the season. They're a much better team than their record. 

• Hook 'Em 1

i wish he could have stuck it out. he would have been a big player for us for the next three years. i'm not gonna sit here and act like losing him doesn't hurt, especially to a direct rival. what i am going to do is continue to be mystified that Jaylon Tyson was repeatedly referred to as "a tub of goo" who was in terrible shape by some posters around here. i still have zero clue what that was all about.

99BBA5DE-811F-42C2-A87D-695ADE8B46F1.thumb.jpeg.6d2cf9743fdc47743e40ca4ed5a3c920.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

I also wish he would have stuck it out.

That's just not the new transfer portal reality we live in.  Beard (and Schaefer) prioritize defense.  If you don't come in and learn how to play defense to their style, you're not going to play. 

Best of luck at Tech.  Mark Adams also prioritizes defense, so I hope he learns soon. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i wish he could have stuck it out. he would have been a big player for us for the next three years. i'm not gonna sit here and act like losing him doesn't hurt, especially to a direct rival. what i am going to do is continue to be mystified that Jaylon Tyson was repeatedly referred to as "a tub of goo" who was in terrible shape by some posters around here. i still have zero clue what that was all about.

99BBA5DE-811F-42C2-A87D-695ADE8B46F1.thumb.jpeg.6d2cf9743fdc47743e40ca4ed5a3c920.jpeg

I was thinking the same thing and made a similar post in the conference thread. Jaylon is basically a Jordan Hamilton comp to me. He's just now realizing he's not as big and athletic relative to college players as he was to high school players. Maybe he's slightly less explosive than Hamilton, but they remind me of each other (and hamilton wasnt necessarily super explosive himself). Regardless, Beard's offense is difficult for young wings like Jaylon to get used to. The way high school ball is played nowadays (with empty post sets) they're not used to the lack of space and the resulting quick and decisive decisions required from this offense. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn