Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Why are people posting in this thread instead of creating a game thread?

I've started most of the game threads this year, but didn't have the game until someone upthread shared a link.  Sorry I was busy trying to figure out how to watch..

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Andrew Jones isn't clutch? I don't think he's a great player but c'mon man. And Ramey doesn't shy away from the moment either. I don't know about Febres because Shaka didn't play him last year. 

Febres had microfracture surgery and only came back the last 3rd of the season. 

Motion offenses don’t work well vs a zone. You beat zone with ball movement to get it to shift out of position then you attack, it takes patience and good shot selection. I think beard offenses traditionally struggle vs zones that are run well. Tonight for me is more just seeing a team that has 7 guys and playing with your head up your ass more than anything.

The hand-wringing in here is almost worse than a football game thread. K State is in trouble. They're throwing the kitchen sink at us and won't be up at half. 

Alright... they'll be up at half but they're extremely lucky to be. Hitting 25 footers helps. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Just one of those games where K-State is going to hit these crazy shots. 

This is an excuse.  No reason we shot no FT against a depleted squad.  Jump shots are bailing out their thin bench. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

Yes. I know. Larger point remained.

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

Late to the schedule party, just saw they give us the 8pm time slot in Lubbock and the return game is at 11:30am. Fuck this conference

Sounds like we should beat their ass both times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Um.... what? We beat them by 13 and it should have been 20 but the refs called a limp dicked (and pussied) flagrant call that cost us 6 points. Who is asterisking this? We covered the spread by 5 points. 

Yeah, plus every team is going to be missing players throughout the year. It's not like this is unique to us. 

Also, I think K-State missing all those front court players probably helped them to start the game. They were going really small and it wasn't something Texas seemed prepared for. 

Lowell and Blanks suck but they were right that with all these Covid players missing games it can kind of screw your gameplan. Beard is a good coach and realized he had to go small which is why he adjusted in the second half playing Disu at the 5 with a bunch of guards. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Um.... what? We beat them by 13 and it should have been 20 but the refs called a limp dicked (and pussied) flagrant call that cost us 6 points. Who is asterisking this? We covered the spread by 5 points. 

Go back and watch that. It was completely unintentional but these days they are going to call that every time. Or maybe I need to go back and watch it. Looked like Askew nailed him pretty good.

anyway, on to okie lite. Meanwhile seton hall up on butler near the end of the game and KU tied at half at okie lite.

Just now, justhookit said:

Go back and watch that. It was completely unintentional but these days they are going to call that every time. Or maybe I need to go back and watch it. Looked like Askew nailed him pretty good.

anyway, on to okie lite. Meanwhile seton hall up on butler near the end of the game and KU tied at half at okie lite.

I disagree. That isn't called in the NBA. They only called it because he was bleeding and made a show of it. 

Granted I'm not going to pretend college refs wouldn't call some stupid bullshit like that most of the time so you may be right. 

8 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Woah it was 29-15 KU at one point when I flipped it off. 16-2 run by OSU

Per T-Rank, Texas is top 60 in almost every offensive stat except 3P% and Block%. 

#32 in adjusted efficiency, #59 in EFG%, #56 in TO%, #36 in OR% (that's surprising), #35 in 2P%, #29 FT%, #63 assist rate. 

If Texas started hitting open 3s this offense is more than good enough combined with the defense.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I think we are eventually going to settle into a lineup of Carr, Ramey, Allen, Disu, and Mitchell getting the most PT together.

I think you have to include Jones in there as getting equal minutes with Ramey, otherwise I agree that is likely our best 5.

But I don't think we ever really settle into a consistent lineup because our big man depth is so thin and sooner or later, we're gonna get COVID'd, probably multiple times. Disu, Mitchell, and Bishop will probably have to be close to equal minutes most nights, just to make sure they don't get gassed or in foul trouble. Add on top of that COVID is likely going to make us shuffle our lineup quite a bit.

I think it would benefit us the most to not settle into a top 5 and keep developing players and chemistry around multiple different looks. We're gonna need them.

On 1/4/2022 at 9:23 PM, ztejas said:

The fact that he's a Texas grad makes it infinitely more pathetic. It would be one thing if he was like a Tech lifer but he doesn't owe them shit. He used them as a stepping stone to get the job he wanted. Tough titties, losers. 

That's the biggest thing for me too. Their utter lack of appreciation for a man who made their never-been-shit program into a legit national title contender for like a 5 year stretch. Historic territory for them. And they have the gall to badmouth the man.

That they have the audacity to act like they are "glad" to be rid of him is a bad look on their fanbase. They are supposed to be Texas "not giving a shit about fuck" Tech, not aggy.

Edited by Pam Cummings

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

That's the biggest thing for me too. Their utter lack of appreciation for a man who made their never-been-shit program into a legit national title contender for like a 5 year stretch. Historic territory for them. And they have the gall to badmouth the man.

That they have the audacity to act like they are "glad" to be rid of him is a bad look on their fanbase. They are supposed to be Texas "not giving a shit about fuck" Tech, not aggy.

You're conflating "they", as in all Tech fans, with a vocal minority on social media. Most Tech fans are grateful for what he did, and you'll never catch me or any other reasonable fan saying shit like that. No reasonable person can blame someone for ultimately wanting to coach at their alma mater, that would be insane.

Would you want people pretending that the worst behaved Longhorn fan represented you all?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You're conflating "they", as in all Tech fans, with a vocal minority on social media. Most Tech fans are grateful for what he did, and you'll never catch me or any other reasonable fan saying shit like that. No reasonable person can blame someone for ultimately wanting to coach at their alma mater, that would be insane.

Would you want people pretending that the worst behaved Longhorn fan represented you all?

You're right and i let my twitter rage get me. Sorry.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

the worst behaved longhorn fans aren't out here getting rick barnes banned from twitter, starting rumors of dissension and transfers in his locker room, and just generally and obsessively trying to ruin his day from their computer screens. 

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the worst behaved longhorn fans aren't out here getting rick barnes banned from twitter, starting rumors of dissension and transfers in his locker room, and just generally and obsessively trying to ruin his day from their computer screens. 

First, these two situations are not even remotely similar. You fired Rick Barnes. Why would any Texas fan go after him? I've mostly ignored your weird obsession with the man, but give it a rest at least for a day. Second, Chris Beard is not banned from Twitter so I'm not sure what the fuck you're talking about.

I can't do anything about random idiots starting rumors about Beard from behind their computer screens. What do you want me to do, kill them? Do you want me to spend all day on Twitter reporting their posts to no avail since they probably aren't violating Twitter's TOS? I'm not sure you understand what the words vocal minority mean. The best thing you can do is just ignore them and instead engage with reasonable people.

It's not my fault you've never exposed yourself to Tech people beyond Twitter and slorch. Take a chill pill.

12 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

First, these two situations are not even remotely similar. You fired Rick Barnes. Why would any Texas fan go after him? I've mostly ignored your weird obsession with the man, but give it a rest at least for a day. Second, Chris Beard is not banned from Twitter so I'm not sure what the fuck you're talking about.

first off, calmer than you are. second, TTU rather famously fans got chris beard's account suspended from twitter by mass reporting his totally benign posts after he left y'all for Texas. they did it in such numbers that it prompted twitter's algorithms to auto-suspend his account. now that i see that you didn't even know about that, it makes me my roll my eyes less about you saying "don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch."

the bottom line is this: i don't think i've ever seen a fan base handle a coach les big more poorly than how TTU fans have handled Chris Beard leaving for his alma mater. it was like when Lane Kiffin left Tennessee, except that instead of Beard having been TTU's coach for a few hours, he's was greatest coach in your school's history, and the only reason that anyone anywhere has cared about TTU hoops since Sheryl Swoopes. for so many of your fans go out of their way to actually fuck with chris beard (the twitter banning, the fake transfer rumors) still to this day is frankly insane and pathetic, and you acting like we're incorrect for thinking so is an indictment on your ability to be informed or objective. 

23 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I can't do anything about random idiots starting rumors about Beard from behind their computer screens. What do you want me to do, kill them? Do you want me to spend all day on Twitter reporting their posts to no avail since they probably aren't violating Twitter's TOS? I'm not sure you understand what the words vocal minority mean. The best thing you can do is just ignore them and instead engage with reasonable people.

It's not my fault you've never exposed yourself to Tech people beyond Twitter and slorch. Take a chill pill.

to this day, it never ceases to amaze me how a player who is going off the rails and cursing at me and insulting me is also telling me to calm down, or in this case "take a chill pill." happens all of the time, and it's equally hilarious and absurd. 

Edited by shadow_operative

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

first off, calmer than you are. second, TTU rather famously fans got chris beard's account suspended from twitter by mass reporting his totally benign posts after he left y'all for Texas. they did it in such numbers that it prompted twitter's algorithms to auto-suspend his account. now that i see that you didn't even know about that, it makes me my roll my eyes less about you saying "don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch."

the bottom line is this: i don't think i've ever seen a fan base handle a coach les big more poorly than how TTU fans have handled Chris Beard leaving for his alma mater. it was like when Lane Kiffin left Tennessee, except that instead of Beard having been TTU's coach for a few hours, he's was greatest coach in your school's history, and the only reason that anyone anywhere has cared about TTU hoops since Sheryl Swoopes. for so many of your fans go out of their way to actually fuck with chris beard (the twitter banning, the fake transfer rumors) still to this day is frankly insane and pathetic, and you acting like we're incorrect for thinking so is an indictment on your ability to be informed or objective. 

I was not aware of his account getting suspended. That's pretty shitty. You're not wrong, a subsection of the Tech fan base has been really shitty to him over leaving. It's understandable to a degree, but I don't understand being A) that upset about it, and B) being that upset about still, in January of 2022.