Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

29 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

all the players talked about during the summer was how bought in they all were, and how nobody cared about minutes and shots, just winning. so easy to say; apparently a lot tougher to follow through. 

That was my biggest worry about this season. With all those guys seeing a reduction in playing time, a few were bound to be unhappy. If a couple leave, I'm cool with it as long as the team doesn't dwell on it. I presume last years version of Carr was a more capable player (I didn't watch him that I can remember), but this years version is the definition of "meh". Unfortunately, all of our guards have underwhelmed. Maybe eliminating the logjam and more playing time to get in a rhythm will help a couple of these guys get in the groove.

I couldn't Carr less.  (See what I did there?)

It's clear Beard is gonna bring in as much talent as he can by any means possible, and then he's gonna go with the guys who meet his standards.  Carr has received a ton of time on the court, and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire with that opportunity:

27.3 mpg

8.3 ppg

40-21 A/TO (3.3/1.8 per game)

13 STL (1.1 per game)

Good luck, buddy.  If you can't stand out here . . . well . . . good luck.

Carr’s regression has been startling.  I don’t have anything to say other than that. Maybe what he’s doing is right for him. But it cannot play well that it’s the third school he’s effectively walked away from and first in mid season. He’s got to just be angling to play overseas. He’s a lot more talented that he’s shown this year but he’s not a draftable talent. 

I would much rather lose Carr than Askew at this point. Carr has not proven to be a better player than Askew and the advanced stats would actually tell you that Askew > Carr. Plus, Askew would be a multiple year player here with more upside. 

Beard was known to be ruthless at Tech with roster decisions/how he handled players so it really makes you wonder when the two players that are at the bottom of the advanced stats (Tyson and Carr) might be looking to move on. 

I get the idea Beard is not about that country club life. When you have a roster of 10 to 12 capable players Beard is not going to hold your hand when he already has to make tough roster decisions in terms of minutes. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Carr’s regression has been startling.  I don’t have anything to say other than that. 

Thing is Carr hasn't really regressed. He's simply taking fewer shots and being forced to play in a system that wins. 

He was an inefficient scorer at his last two schools which is why none of his teams made the tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Goodman said:

This is very informative on how Beard evaluates offense and he's not wrong in terms of points vs efficiency. 

You can still have a good offense in this slow/ugly system (see Virginia over the years). You can tell Beard is annoyed with the questions about the offense simply because people evaluate offense based on points. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

If it we played at a quicker pace, resulting in getting more shots up, it would probably help to mitigate some of the issues with the number of capable players we have. 

I don't think Beard is going to change his system to make a couple players happy. Reality is, this is just how Beard likes to play. 

His Elite 8 team at Tech finished 223rd in possessions per game and his national championship team at Tech finished 258th in possessions per game. Texas is playing slower than those teams but I bet by the end of the year they finish around the same amount of possessions per game as those Tech teams. 

This is who Beard is and why Texas hired him. I don't want to see him running a completely different system as his success at Tech was based on teams that played very slow offensively and were always near the top in defense. It's like Shaka's success being built on havoc and then coming here to run an entirely different system. No thanks. 

9 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Carr’s regression has been startling.  I don’t have anything to say other than that. Maybe what he’s doing is right for him. But it cannot play well that it’s the third school he’s effectively walked away from and first in mid season. He’s got to just be angling to play overseas. He’s a lot more talented that he’s shown this year but he’s not a draftable talent. 

You write this as if he’s already left.  Has he?   I guess we find out tomorrow.  

Bart Torvik has Texas at #10. For anyone interested, the team pages are nice. https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Texas&year=2022

1) The advanced stats really dislike Carr and Tyson. Regardless of what happens with Carr, if he doesn't show improvement soon his USG % and minutes need to be cut. 

2) The defense is already legit and that's being very bad from a rebounding perspective. If this team can just become a top 100 rebounding team with Disu the defensive stats should be insane. 

3) The biggest issue on offense is 3 point shooting (which Beard said yesterday). The FT% (43rd) and 2P% (29th) isn't bad at all. I think Jones and Febres have been getting decent looks too. 

4) Disu is really going to help on the defensive boards. 34.3 defensive rebounding percentage and the next highest on the roster is Bishop at 20.6%.  

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think Beard is going to change his system to make a couple players happy. Reality is, this is just how Beard likes to play. 

His Elite 8 team at Tech finished 223rd in possessions per game and his national championship team at Tech finished 258th in possessions per game. Texas is playing slower than those teams but I bet by the end of the year they finish around the same amount of possessions per game as those Tech teams. 

This is who Beard is and why Texas hired him. I don't want to see him running a completely different system as his success at Tech was based on teams that played very slow offensively and were always near the top in defense. It's like Shaka's success being built on havoc and then coming here to run an entirely different system. No thanks. 

A team with a deficiency in talent should play slower and limit possessions and vice versa if the case is the opposite. I don't know whether Beard played that way due to preference or as part of a strategy to compensate for the talent gap. Time will tell, but at Texas he'll often have way more talent than his opponents so playing a style of play that increases your chances of being upset doesn't seem like the best strategy. Regardless his defense is suffocating enough that we'll always be competitive irrespective of how slow we play or how much talent we have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

A team with a deficiency in talent should play slower and limit possessions and vice versa if the case is the opposite. I don't know whether Beard played that way due to preference or as part of a strategy to compensate for the talent gap. Time will tell, but at Texas he'll often have way more talent than his opponents so playing a style of play that increases your chances of being upset doesn't seem like the best strategy. Regardless his defense is suffocating enough that we'll always be competitive irrespective of how slow we play or how much talent we have. 

It's definitely preference. Beard has said multiple times his coaching style/philosophy is heavily influenced by Bobby Knight. 

Knight played really slow, ran a very similar motion offense, and was a defensive minded coach. I think this style of play keeps games close which can lead to upsets in the regular season but it also tends to work very well in the tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 2

In general, pace of play is drastically overvalued by college basketball fans. Most of the teams that win national titles play fairly slow and execute in the half court. Texas should probably push tempo a little more off turnovers but I have no issue with them playing slow in the half court. 

Here are the last 5 national champions and their rank based on possessions per game-

Baylor 182nd

Virginia 353rd

Nova 134th

UNC 62nd

Nova 290th

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Bart Torvik has Texas at #10. For anyone interested, the team pages are nice. https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Texas&year=2022

1) The advanced stats really dislike Carr and Tyson. Regardless of what happens with Carr, if he doesn't show improvement soon his USG % and minutes need to be cut. 

2) The defense is already legit and that's being very bad from a rebounding perspective. If this team can just become a top 100 rebounding team with Disu the defensive stats should be insane. 

3) The biggest issue on offense is 3 point shooting (which Beard said yesterday). The FT% (43rd) and 2P% (29th) isn't bad at all. I think Jones and Febres have been getting decent looks too. 

4) Disu is really going to help on the defensive boards. 34.3 defensive rebounding percentage and the next highest on the roster is Bishop at 20.6%.  

Disu is really fucking good and will be clearly the best player on our team by the end of the year IMO.  The whole dynamic changes when he's on the floor.  

I'm running out of hope Carr will improve. It's been a month of him getting starter minutes and he hasn't progress at all. He might be worse by now.  So if either he's unhappy or Askew's unhappy with his minutes, Beard needs to start prioritizing Askew. I think he'll be be the better option by March, and he'd very likely come back for next year too. 

33 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

In general, pace of play is drastically overvalued by college basketball fans. Most of the teams that win national titles play fairly slow and execute in the half court. Texas should probably push tempo a little more off turnovers but I have no issue with them playing slow in the half court. 

Here are the last 5 national champions and their rank based on possessions per game-

Baylor 182nd

Virginia 353rd

Nova 134th

UNC 62nd

Nova 290th

So 2 of the 5 teams were within the top 40% of D1 basketball in terms of pace and another was essentially smack dab in the middle (358 teams in D1). 

All things being equal most fans prefer an aesthetically pleasing style of play, but we prefer winning over any and everything else. Beard is my archetype of a college coach in terms of his personality, urgency, organization, and even marketing acumen so I'm not going to be too critical of his preferred offensive style of play. I mean it would probably be too much to ask for him to hit 10 out of 10 on my dream coach checklist so I'll settle for 9.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So if either he's unhappy or Askew's unhappy with his minutes, Beard needs to start prioritizing Askew. I think he'll be be the better option by March, and he'd very likely come back for next year too. 

Yup. Even if Carr isn't leaving this needs to happen. 

Askew leads the team in steal percentage, in turnover percentage, and is a better rebounder than Carr. Askew's offensive game is a bit limited currently but he's not looking for his shot which works better with this team and he doesn't turn the ball over. 

If Askew was getting more minutes with Mitchell and Allen I bet his advanced stats would be a lot better than Carr. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Thing is Carr hasn't really regressed. He's simply taking fewer shots and being forced to play in a system that wins. 

He was an inefficient scorer at his last two schools which is why none of his teams made the tournament. 

No.... he's definitely regressed. Two seasons ago at Minny (off the top of my head) he was like a 15/7 guy on pretty good scoring efficiency for a volume guard (much better than whatever he's shooting now). 

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is very informative on how Beard evaluates offense and he's not wrong in terms of points vs efficiency. 

You can still have a good offense in this slow/ugly system (see Virginia over the years). You can tell Beard is annoyed with the questions about the offense simply because people evaluate offense based on points. 

Beard is basically playing early-mid 2000s NBA ball - but with a bit more motion on O. Slow pace, smothering D, working the ball around to try and score inside. 

The 03 Spurs and 04 Pistons (and the 05 versions of both teams) kicked a lot of ass but they'd put you to sleep if you weren't careful.

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

FG% in 4 years (38.4, 38.5, 39.3, 39.6) 

Misleading for multiple reasons.

TS% (I don't care about his freshman year at Pitt):

PPG:

APG:

He is getting to the line (much) less than either of his prior two years and shooting the same % from 3 on half as many attempts as last year. With less focus from opposing Ds.

There is a huge difference between shooting 40/31 and hitting 5 FTs per game and scoring 19 ppg and shooting 40/31 and hitting 1 FTs per game and scoring 8 ppg. 

He's playing 6-7 mpg fewer. He shouldn't be getting to the line 1/5th as often. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He is getting to the line (much) less than either of his prior two years

I'm going to bet that simply has to do with the fact the ball was in Carr's hands so much more at Minnesota. He was dictating the offense much more at Minnesota. 

Does that prove a regression or that Carr is being asked to be a different player here? 

Carr is interesting. It is clear he's still trying to find his foothold in the offense, USG is slightly down, while his AST is way down and his TOV is the 2nd highest of his career. But he's become a very good defensive guard and his WS/40 are the highest of his career. So he's contributing to winning, just not the way he probably prefers. I think the biggest problem so far for him is his FTr is only at .192, which is a career low. Even his FR season, he was going to the line 32% of the time, i.e. 32 FTA per 100 FGA. This season that number is 19, at Minnesota both years it was at 45.

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Misleading for multiple reasons.

TS% (I don't care about his freshman year at Pitt):

PPG:

APG:

He is getting to the line (much) less than either of his prior two years and shooting the same % from 3 on half as many attempts as last year. With less focus from opposing Ds.

There is a huge difference between shooting 40/31 and hitting 5 FTs per game and scoring 19 ppg and shooting 40/31 and hitting 1 FTs per game and scoring 8 ppg. 

He's playing 6-7 mpg fewer. He shouldn't be getting to the line 1/5th as often. 

Eh. He's slightly down on efficiency, but most of what you've pointed out so far is simply less volume.  He was never an efficient scorer, and never should have been rated by ESPN as the #1 transfer in the country.  He was just simply never that good. 

I do think he's getting to the line slightly less in part because we have a lot of other options that Minn didn't have and probably in part because he's clearly just not comfortable with this offense. 

• Like 1

Beard mentioned yesterday the team needs to get to the FT line more but I don't think Carr is ever going to match those numbers from previous years because he was the guy at Minnesota offensively. 

They wanted him to attack but does Texas really want that? 

I think all 4 of the bigs/SF (Allen, Disu, Mitchell and Bishop) dictate the offense more than Carr and I'm sure the USG% backs that up. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm going to bet that simply has to do with the fact the ball was in Carr's hands so much more at Minnesota. He was dictating the offense much more at Minnesota. 

Does that prove a regression or that Carr is being asked to be a different player here? 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. He's slightly down on efficiency, but most of what you've pointed out so far is simply less volume.  He was never an efficient scorer, and never should have been rated by ESPN as the #1 transfer in the country.  He was just simply never that good. 

I do think he's getting to the line slightly less in part because we have a lot of other options that Minn didn't have and probably in part because he's clearly just not comfortable with this offense. 

Efficiency generally shouldn't track down with less volume, though. That's kind of a huge part of the picture. We've also played a bunch of complete patsys that he shouldn't be struggling to score against. The fact that his per play impact is down while he's being asked to do less before we've even hit our actual schedule isn't great. 

You can argue he's struggling with the scheme but AJ and Ramey haven't taken similar hits to what they were doing last year. I believe AJ is actually shooting better to a non-insignificant degree. 

Someone posited that it could be a conditioning issue coupled with him having to ratchet up the intensity on D but I haven't seen that from watching him. I can usually tell when guys are tired and it's affecting their games.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Someone posited that it could be a conditioning issue coupled with him having to ratchet up the intensity on D but I haven't seen that from watching him. I can usually tell when guys are tired and it's affecting their games.

That was me.

I'm not sure I've seen Carr show any signs of conditioning issues but he's definitely putting in a lot more work on the defensive end at Texas. Go watch how he defended at Minnesota in some games. There was no effort at all. 

I think the slight regression (if you want to call in that) in shooting numbers is simply because Carr is being asked to be a different player at Texas and he was never an efficient scorer to begin with. 

11 minutes ago, HillCountryBevo said:

Bianco or whoever needs to take away all of the AAS credentials. Like right now 

Disagree. Beard handled that with aplomb.

It's good to have media coverage that strives to be independent and dares not to admire the emperor's new clothes.

It's even better to have a coach who can tactfully and professionally check them when he feels they've crossed a line.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It's good to have media coverage that strives to be independent and dares not to admire the emperor's new clothes.

It's even better to have a coach who can tactfully and professionally check them when he feels they've crossed a line.

AAS has been awful for years now regardless the writer. 
Kirk bowels voted for Reggie bush over VY btw 

13 minutes ago, HillCountryBevo said:

AAS has been awful for years now regardless the writer. 
Kirk bowels voted for Reggie bush over VY btw 

LoL I am aware of how Bohls voted. It was his opinion and he got to express it. I'm glad for that.

I'm also glad that he will never be able to say he recognized the most salient college football talent in history when it came along, despite it being there under his nose for four years.

It is an albatross that will deservedly follow him around for the rest of his career, but it's not something that should merit having his credentials revoked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

LoL I am aware of how Bohls voted. It was his opinion and he got to express it. I'm glad for that.

I'm also glad that he will never be able to say he recognized the most salient college football talent in history when it came along, despite it being there under his nose for four years.

It is an albatross that will deservedly follow him around for the rest of his career, but it's not something that should merit having his credentials revoked.

image.gif.f73a3a4846243c5154e70dfac67e67e3.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The only issue I see is that superior teams should play faster while in even matchups or as underdogs you should slow down and/or maximize efficiency (generally speaking more possessions means fewer upsets). Perhaps he'll do that once we're in conference play. 

5 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

They go way past that, pushing and amplifying negative stories about Texas even when they're obvious bullshit. And when presented with actual opportunities to be good objective journalists they always fail. I've lost count of how many times a Texas coach has given an obviously BS answer or raised an important question with a vague statement and the next question is Davis or Bohls or Golden asking the coach what their favorite Thanksgiving side dish is. They're hacks.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

They go way past that, pushing and amplifying negative stories about Texas even when they're obvious bullshit. And when presented with actual opportunities to be good objective journalists they always fail. I've lost count of how many times a Texas coach has given an obviously BS answer or raised an important question with a vague statement and the next question is Davis or Bohls or Golden asking the coach what their favorite Thanksgiving side dish is. They're hacks.

You begin by accusing AAS sportswriters of being sensationalist with an agenda against the hometown team, then contradict that by saying you've lost count how many times they've pandered to coaches by not pressing a matter and instead mollifying them with softball questions. Which is it? If you believe they're guilty of behavior on both extremes, then wouldn't that suggest they're probably more in the middle than you're giving them credit for?

Going a step further, what UT beat writers are on the approved list for this site? From "Bowels" to "FCB" and "FBD," it seems they all have an anti-Longhorns agenda in the minds of many posters here.

(For the record, I don't care for Bohls or Golden, but that doesn't mean I think they're "hacks" or should have their credentials revoked.)

No, you completely misread my post.

They're hacks. They are gullible morons who lack any journalistic skill. I never said they are sensationalist with an agenda, I merely stated the truth that they push and amplify negative stories about Texas even when they're obvious bullshit. You can check out Brian Davis's work today on Kobie McKinzie's clearly bullshit lies in an SI story that Davis bought hook, line, and sinker because it makes Texas look bad. And I also never said they're pandering to the coaches. I said they routinely fail to ask obvious and relevant questions because they're shitty at their jobs. I never said they were pandering to the coach when they fail to ask those obvious questions.

The only thing they care about is that other journalists consider them objective, so yes they lean toward understating things against Texas, but I don't think it's an actually sensationalistic agenda. They're just terrible journalists. They want so badly for their peers to consider them unbiased that they immediately believe anything negative about Texas and are extremely hesitant to praise Texas.

I'm using hack in the mediocre or terrible at their jobs meaning, not the hired mercenary out to damage someone meaning. If they're the latter then it's only in pursuit of peer approval, not a slant.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

Don't think I misread your comments, you're just trying to backtrack.

You stated that AAS sportswriters push/amplify negative stories about Texas, which qualifies as "sensationalist with an agenda." You then followed up by stating they ignore chances to jump on coaches for coachspeak (every beat writer does this, btw, else he/she would quickly run out of access/sources) and instead lob softball questions. Those two statements essentially contradict one another because, lemme tell you, nothing would burn bridges faster with a coach than some yellow article on his program.

Again, which regular UT beat writers make the grade for you?

To me, the main issue with Carr is that he doesn’t seem to be playing with any joy.  He generally seems frustrated or angry.  I want my PG out there smiling a little, encouraging teammates, having some fun. TJ Ford and DJ Augustin at Texas. Magic, Isaiah, Steph and countless others are the prototype.

Askew shows some shades of what I’m talking about. I really like his game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Weird to think...we have a fucking game in 90 minutes.  I guess we'll know the Carr situation more clearly.  Is he even in Austin?  Does he get more minutes?  Does his play change if he is on the floor?  I dunno.  I gotta go to the Lego Store at the Mall---yeah me!  Supposedly the new "Lego Friends" sets drop this morning at 10:00a and the 6yo has two gift cards burning a hole in her pocket.  I think I'm a decent dad, but I wanna be a better one in 2022.  So see you fuckers on here at tipoff.  Somebody make a bloody mary, struggling!  

Hook 'Em Horns.  Fuck the Mountaineers!  Go Carr!  Go Beard!  The road to the Big XII title starts NOW! 

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Weird to think...we have a fucking game in 90 minutes.  I guess we'll know the Carr situation more clearly.  Is he even in Austin?  Does he get more minutes?  Does his play change if he is on the floor?  I dunno.  I gotta go to the Lego Store at the Mall---yeah me!  Supposedly the new "Lego Friends" sets drop this morning at 10:00a and the 6yo has two gift cards burning a hole in her pocket.  I think I'm a decent dad, but I wanna be a better one in 2022.  So see you fuckers on here at tipoff.  Somebody make a bloody mary, struggling!  

Hook 'Em Horns.  Fuck the Mountaineers!  Go Carr!  Go Beard!  The road to the Big XII title starts NOW! 

Unless Carr starts showing substantial improvement that shouldn't happen even if he's still on the roster. It's at a point where his minutes need to be cut. 

Edited by texasstrong12