Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

The Musketeer is a gamer.   Talk shit all you want...he shows up and fucks up other teams/ provides a big boost to his own squad.
Patience...

I like the musketeer and love the boost and attitude …my point was I don’t like him having to defend a big man in the paint in a tight game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you got 15 total on the roster (I assume walk-ons still travel with the team), 6 coaches, I'm guessing 4-5 others dedicated to basketball equipment/trainers/etc.  Then another handful of folks there for logistics/associate athletics directors/LHF liaison.  So that's 30 easily.  Yeah, 40 does seem a bit much but knowing our athletic department---ten folks around Belmont heard "Free trip to NYC/NJ complete with Broadway show" and came up with reasons they were urgently needed in New York.  

I've taken the "second southwest charter" with the athletic dept. to football games with trainers, cheer squad, assistant to the associate regional athletic director, assistant to the traveling secretary, et. al. and gotten to go to road games for free (they don't put you up in hotels or take you to shows though, it's just up and back with a meal and some beers) and I serve absolutely no purpose to our athletics program whatsoever except I can find the nearest bar around the stadium.  But you'd be surprised and probably a little upset if you knew how many extra people go on every single fucking athletics road trip no matter the sport.    I think that's probably something like the case here with the large group @ Seton Hall/NYC.

Edited by Lobo

"Why are you on this flight?" 

I'm here to fix the BP pitching machine if anything breaks during pre-game

"But we're a basketball team."

Yeah, that's right /puddy

Edited by Lobo

Article that above tweets came from:

No. 23 Seton Hall’s 64-60 win over No. 7 Texas came with a FS1 remote broadcast, no first-half shot clock, and many complaints

Going with the remote broadcast here may not have been the best choice.

There’s long been a push for cutting down on the costs of producing live games for television, but that’s become particularly apparent lately. Whether it’s with questionable production trucks for Pac-12 games or questionable cameras for MLS matches or with the general uptick in remote broadcasts (which were happening even before COVID-19, and since then have often been framed as a pandemic safety measure, but that’s not always accurate), there’s a lot going on that’s provoked complaints from viewers used to higher standards. The latest discussion here comes around the No. 23 (AP) Seton Hall Pirates’ 64-60 men’s basketball home win over the No. 7 Texas Longhorns Thursday, a game broadcast on FS1, but a game that featured remote announcers, no on-screen shot clock for the first half, and many other problems. 

At this point in time, remote broadcasts are probably not going away entirely. But they do often come with a significant decline in quality from announcers unable to see what’s happening in the building apart from TV feeds, to say nothing of what happens when a camera feed is lost. And the pandemic excuses really don’t play at this point; yes, absolutely, there are still concerns with having people gather together, including at sporting events, but all broadcast networks have made it very clear that they’ll take the risk of sending in-person announcers when they deem it worth it. So, at this point, it’s really a discussion about which games deserve the superior in-person announcer treatment. And it’s curious that Fox Sports decided not to do that for a ranked-on-ranked Texas-Seton Hall matchup.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

x/post-

more thoughts about the game:

•1-13 from deep is a positive. i mean it. last year we would have taken 30 shots from deep. last night we identified that getting to the rim was the best way to score, and we pounded that over and over and over. remember, we made eight straight baskets at one point. we were not settling for stupid, early shot clock jumpers. we were playing smart, efficient basketball on offense for the first 30 minutes of the game.

•rebounding- i loved what i saw in the first half. we were consistently holding SHU to one shot per possession, with everyone on the team aggressively blocking out and going for rebounds. once again the game plan was clear, and our guys were all on the same page.

•along the same lines as the first two points, our team discipline and IQ are the highest they've been since Shaka's first year, which is outstanding, because that team was all guys who had been together for three years already. Beard has already established that we will be playing intelligently, both from a game planning standpoint, as well as individually.

•i think we got tired, which is a bit troubling. i watched the game with my dad, and we were really paying attention to our tactics/execution, rewinding the game when needed to take it all in (just like your mom). timmy allen leads our team in mpg at 28.5. last night our main five guys all played 30+ minutes, including 36 apiece for Mitchell and Carr. as the game wore on, it was clear that our guys were getting gassed. we started being half a step late on those block outs, and guys found it harder to get by their man and to the rim. our guys gotta get their conditioning up.

•probably related to the above point, but decision making on offense went downhill late in the game. guys driving but not even trying to finish; guys picking up their dribble before they needed to; less/slower off-ball movement than the first half. the game was a grind, and until that giant pause in the middle the second half was going by quickly, and without a lot of breaks.

•Seton Hall is a good team, a potential S16 team for sure. as poorly as we played in the 2H, that was generally a very well played game between two pretty damn good teams. both teams were playing smart, aggressive basketball, and neither was helping the other one out with silly mistakes or turnovers. the way we lost sucks, but there was a lot to be encouraged about with our effort and performance last night.

•finally, and once more for posterity: people who are speaking definitively about this team's ceiling based on the two games vs Gonzaga and SHU don't know shit about Chris Beard, or college hoops in general. pipe down, and save your all-or-nothing knee jerk reaction shit for that toxic wasteland called the football board. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 7

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

timmy allen leads our team in mpg at 28.5.

Not that it matters, but he's 3rd.  Carr and Ramey are at 28.5 mpg, and Allen is at 26.5 mpg, if the UT website is to be believed.  (This is after last night's game.)  Agreed on your overarching point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

•finally, and once more for posterity: people who are speaking definitively about this team's ceiling based on the two games vs Gonzaga and SHU don't know shit about Chris Beard, or college hoops in general. pipe down, and save your all-or-nothing knee jerk reaction shit for that toxic wasteland called the football board. 

I said this above but I think this team will look very similar to Schaefer's year 1 in women's basketball. That team was 18-9 before the NCAA tournament and finished as a 6 seed. 

I didn't read any of the game comments last night but I would bet there would have been plenty of melting over Schaefer's year 1 if people actually followed women's basketball. 

Edited by texasstrong12

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, my bar is pretty low in year 1.  Make the tourney, don't get beat by a lower seed in the first round.

I guess it's how you judge a good year. 

I thought Schaefer's year 1 was a huge success because he made an elite 8. I could give two shits about what happens in the regular season if we win some tournament games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I thought Schaefer's year 1 was a huge success because he made an elite 8. I could give two shits about what happens in the regular season if we win some tournament games. 

For me, it's the practical matter of 4 returning players, none of whom are world-beaters, and a shit ton of transfers.  This team already seems more dialed in than I would have expected given all the new faces.

25 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

exactly. as a noted fan of Rick Barnes, it's no secret that it chaps my ass how CBB fans tend to ignore regular season results (which is 98% of the games played) and then put this huge emphasis on the tourney, ignoring things like the fact that Mark Few, Bill Self, and Tom Izzo have won the ncaa tourney a combined two times in 70+ tries. yeah; think about that. and Self has had nothing but good-great teams since before he was at Tulsa.

that said, this year is all about the tourney, and i really only care about/want to see growth between now and postseason play. this team will be together for one year and one year only, so the only thing we're building towards is the tourney, not future seasons down the line. get Disu incorporated, get Carr playing up to standard, get the roles defined, and get the chemistry to where it's ever-improving. this entire regular season is nothing but a build up to the big dance, and as long as we grow and jell along the way then that's all that matters. whether we finish first, second, or fifth in the big xii, i don't really care, so long as the team is playing it's best ball come tourney time. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

x/post-

more thoughts about the game:

•1-13 from deep is a positive. i mean it. last year we would have taken 30 shots from deep. last night we identified that getting to the rim was the best way to score, and we pounded that over and over and over. remember, we made eight straight baskets at one point. we were not settling for stupid, early shot clock jumpers. we were playing smart, efficient basketball on offense for the first 30 minutes of the game.

There was a 3 launched by Carr in the 2nd half, and you may have caught this if y'all were reviewing in game; but Ramey looked at Carr as if to say, "We don't do that shit any more."  It just looked to me like Ramey has had it drilled in his head, unless you have the green light, no hoisting 3's.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

exactly. as a noted fan of Rick Barnes, it's no secret that it chaps my ass how CBB fans tend to ignore regular season results (which is 98% of the games played) and then put this huge emphasis on the tourney ignoring things like the fact that Mark Few, Bill Self, and Tom Izzo have won it all a combined two times in 70+ tries.

that said, this year is all about the tourney, and i really only care about/want to see growth between now and postseason play. this team will be together for one year and one year only, so the only thing we're bullying toward is the tourney, not future seasons down the line. get Disu incorporated, get Carr playing up to standard, get the roles defined, and get the chemistry to where it's ever improving. this entire regular season is nothing but a build up to the big dance, and as long as we grow and jell along the way then that's all that matters. whether we finish first, second, or fifth in the big xii, i don't really care, so long as the team is playing it's best ball come tourney time. 

This discussion is interesting because when Beard was hired I said that I thought he was a better tournament coach than a regular season coach. To me, Schaefer and Beard's style of play translates much better to the tournament. 

Schaefer making the elite 8 after a meh regular season didn't surprise me a bit. Smart offense (i.e. not jacking bad shots) combined with legit defense translates in March. I posted this in the Beard thread when he was hired. 

Spoiler

I think that's just life in the Big 12. It's loaded with great coaches and the round robin schedule makes it brutal. 

I won't be surprised if Beard has some 9-9 or 10-8 Big 12 seasons at Texas. But that's normally a tournament team capable of winning in March. Texas fans won't care either if it leads to multiple elite 8 appearances and few good Big 12 seasons like '18-19 at Tech. 

I actually think Beard is very similar to Schaefer. His teams are normally better in March than the regular season. Bottom line, win in March like he has (10-4 NCAA tournament record) and Texas fans won't give a shit about the other stuff. 

28 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This discussion is interesting because when Beard was hired I said that I thought he was a better tournament coach than a regular season coach. To me, Schaefer and Beard's style of play translates much better to the tournament. 

Schaefer making the elite 8 after a meh regular season didn't surprise me a bit. Smart offense (i.e. not jacking bad shots) combined with legit defense translates in March. I posted this in the Beard thread when he was hired. 

Hide contents

I think that's just life in the Big 12. It's loaded with great coaches and the round robin schedule makes it brutal. 

I won't be surprised if Beard has some 9-9 or 10-8 Big 12 seasons at Texas. But that's normally a tournament team capable of winning in March. Texas fans won't care either if it leads to multiple elite 8 appearances and few good Big 12 seasons like '18-19 at Tech. 

I actually think Beard is very similar to Schaefer. His teams are normally better in March than the regular season. Bottom line, win in March like he has (10-4 NCAA tournament record) and Texas fans won't give a shit about the other stuff. 

Eh. I'm not going to be thrilled if he's going .500 in conference in years 3 and 4. We shouldn't be holding him to his Tech standards as he should be getting a different caliber of player in Austin. There are at least 10 Texas guys in the NBA right now that are better than Jarret Culver and another 4 that are as good as Jahmius Ramsey (the only 2 Tech players in the league).

However - this year and next year when he's building the roster and the culture - sure, I'm not going to throw a fit if we go 10-8 and get bounced in the 2nd round - although I'd say that would be a fairly disappointing result with this roster. 

Let's just look at the B12 this year and think about what is realistic - or even what should be the floor. Say we go 1-3 against Baylor and Kansas. Say we drop another 2 home games against the rest of the slate and win the other 5. Then maybe go 3-4 or 4-3 in the remaining 7 road contests. That's either 9-9 or 10-8 and outside of a couple injuries I really can't see a worse run from these guys. I think 12-6 is much more likely. 

Now - I'd be shocked if Beard after getting this thing up and running is sweating out .500 seasons in conference - but let's keep in mind that really shouldn't be the standard here. The 6 Shaka years tanked expectations around this program to an embarassing degree. 

Tech standard was Conference Title and taking championship game to OT.

That ain't good enough?

If you think you're gonna just waltz through conference play, whether it is Big XII or SEC; welp...  The Big XII is a fucking meat grinder.  SEC is improving... good luck with that horseshit. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Eh. I'm not going to be thrilled if he's going .500 in conference in years 3 and 4. We shouldn't be holding him to his Tech standards as he should be getting a different caliber of player in Austin.  

Outside of Bill Self, almost every coach in the Big 12 has had .500ish seasons in the Big 12. Before the last 2 seasons Scott Drew was 12-6, 9-9, 9-9, 11-7, 10-8, 12-6, 8-10 and 10-8 in the Big 12. 

And in those seasons Drew made an elite 8 and several more Sweet 16s. Stacking great seasons in the Big 12 is a tough task unless you're at a blue-blood and have a very good coach like Self. 

I have no issue with some meh Big 12 seasons if there are good ones mixed in with tournament results. Granted, none of this likely matters since we're moving to the SEC. 

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

If you think you're gonna just waltz through conference play, whether it is Big XII or SEC; welp...  The Big XII is a fucking meat grinder.  SEC is improving... good luck with that horseshit. 

Yeah, people don't understand this. 

You can be a very good team at 9-9 to 11-7 in the Big 12. Stacking a bunch of 14-4 type Big 12 seasons is almost impossible in this league unless you're Kansas and even that doesn't look like a reality anymore as they've lost at least 5 games in 3 of the last 4 seasons. 

47 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Outside of Bill Self, almost every coach in the Big 12 has had .500ish seasons in the Big 12. Before the last 2 seasons Scott Drew was 12-6, 9-9, 9-9, 11-7, 10-8, 12-6, 8-10 and 10-8 in the Big 12. 

And in those seasons Drew made an elite 8 and several more Sweet 16s. Stacking great seasons in the Big 12 is a tough task unless you're at a blue-blood and have a very good coach like Self. 

I have no issue with some meh Big 12 seasons if there are good ones mixed in with tournament results. Granted, none of this likely matters since we're moving to the SEC. 

Who is the best player Drew has coached at Baylor, though? Mitchell?

Rick Barnes went above .500 in conference his first 13 years at Texas. I really don't think it's an unrealistic ask at all. Especially in the SEC which should feature an easier conference schedule despite some programs turning it around a bit the last couple years. 

44 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, people don't understand this. 

You can be a very good team at 9-9 to 11-7 in the Big 12. Stacking a bunch of 14-4 type Big 12 seasons is almost impossible in this league unless you're Kansas and even that doesn't look like a reality anymore as they've lost at least 5 games in 3 of the last 4 seasons. 

Please find me all of the really good tournament teams that went .500 in the B12. You're overrating the quality of team that bats .500 in the B12. 

49 minutes ago, slorch said:

That ain't good enough?

No that wasn't your standard. Give me a fucking break. Of course we'd kill for a title game appearance or even an EE at this point. His last 2 years at Tech are not the type of seasons that we want to see from him at Texas. He would have never gotten fired at Tech winning 18-20 and winning 1 or 2 games in the tourney every year. I'm hoping for a bit more than that. If you're wondering why - go to a game at the FEC and check out the names hanging from the rafters. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He would have never gotten fired at Tech winning 18-20 and winning 1 or 2 games in the tourney every year. I'm hoping for a bit more than that. If you're wondering why - go to a game at the FEC and check out the names hanging from the rafters. 

and he's only getting fired at Texas for Sweet 16's if you're truly that moronic.  Get real with the hoity-toity expectations, aggy.

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

Find another thread to be butthurt in.

Have been pretty damned reasonable throughout this thread, no? Y'all running off Beard SHOULD be something I would like right?

Oh gawds...someone disagreed with you so they're mad?   LOLz. 

You're right though.  Nobody witnessed the Shaka ordeal.  Nobody has witnessed the culture of struggle within UT Football and Basketball in recent years. First thing that comes to mind is rabid fans with super high expectations. /rolleyes.

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, slorch said:

That ain't good enough?

The Tech standard is Conference titles?  12 in almost 100 years of a program is a standard? 1 in the last 25 years is a standard?

Wow, you once went to OT in the title game. You know who else holds that standard? Dartmouth.  Wanna know the likely future of Tech now that you'll be returning to your true standard? Butler.

The Chris Beard era at Tech was not your standard, it was an anomaly. And that anomalous era wasn't the Tech standard, it was the Beard standard that he let you rent for a few years. You accuse others of behaving like aggy, yet you keep insisting that Tech basketball means anything to anyone outside of Lubbock. It doesn't. Tech basketball is a big, fat nothingburger. 

We can argue about whether you're being reasonable on this thread or not, but you are most certainly being a mewling shitdick in another man's home. Now that's the Tech standard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The only Texas school that's currently relevant and has actual reason to beat it's chest is Baylor, as much as I hate to say it. Fuck Baylor.

Slorch you're right to say expectations were a bit goofy and unrealistic for Texas but you're definitely the one being aggy in this thread.

Edited by Brian Fantana

Meh.

i didn't start the shit, nor have I in the thread. Addressing incorrect bullshit isn't 'aggy'  Telling the world how high your expectations are, when reality shows differences there; well, that is spot-on, dead, solid perfect aggy behavior.

Nothing is going to happen to Chris Beard if they underachieve this season.  We all know it.

Edited by slorch

18 hours ago, formermav43 said:

His predecessor couldn’t even do that in 6 years. Yeah, we *should* expect better than that. But we need to be realistic too.

Sort of fair, but this year is a little different due to the extra year of eligibility and the portal.

I'd be disappointed if they don't at least make the Sweet 16.

Hopefully Disu is back soon and Carr/Ramey/Jones figure out a way to play worth a shit against good opponents

I didn't read every word of every post, but I suspect this hasn't been mentioned. Finals is the worst time of year to practice. Most days you don't have a full team to practice. Quite often as soon as practice is over, you back to the dorm and study rather than spending extra time in the gym. And then to go travel and lose additional practice time wasn't helpful.

I am not saying that's why we lost but it was a disadvantage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Finals end on Tuesday.  No matter what course you're in, what paper you have to turn in, what your major is...you have zero academic obligations as of Tuesday at 9:00p.  

But if Disu can go for Rice or Incarnate Word before conference play begins.............GIDDY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I share the expectation above of simply making the tourney and not losing to a lower seed. Anything else is gravy because our program has been dogshit for awhile. Beard has 9 tourney wins since the 17-18 season, and there wasn't even a tourney in 20. Texas hasnt had a win in the tournament since 2014. I'd love a deep run, but would be happy  for just one fucking win at this point. It cant be easy to basically stitch a team together from scratch. They appear capable of winning enough games to get in the tourney, so I want to see what the team looks like in mid feb. Not really sweating the record or ranking at this point based on Beard's track record of bringing teams along during the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Blotto said:

I share the expectation above of simply making the tourney and not losing to a lower seed. Anything else is gravy because our program has been dogshit for awhile. Beard has 9 tourney wins since the 17-18 season, and there wasn't even a tourney in 20. Texas hasnt had a win in the tournament since 2014. I'd love a deep run, but would be happy  for just one fucking win at this point. It cant be easy to basically stitch a team together from scratch. They appear capable of winning enough games to get in the tourney, so I want to see what the team looks like in mid feb. Not really sweating the record or ranking at this point based on Beard's track record of bringing teams along during the season.

so how'd you like that NIT championship?

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

so how'd you like that NIT championship?

when we hosted that first round NIT game, the crowd was so sparse (i dunno, 2,000 people?) and the arena so quiet that i was able to single handedly talk smack to the referees and the opposing FTs shooters, and the entire arena was able to hear me. i literally just stood up and said, "sir! i vehemently disagree with that last foul call." and "i wholeheartedly believe that you are about to miss these free throws sir." "sir" is sort of my calling card. gotta keep it classy. 

oh, ftr, the FT shooter for Directional U nailed both FTs and pointed at me afterward, lol. we did however bump fists after the game, and resolved to squash all beef. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2