Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

Seriously, whatever is going on between his ears right now is totally working.  

Ramey quietly also having a great game.  

Obviously it's a hampered WVU squad, but we need this double-digit convincing win.  Keep the foot on the gas.  No mercy.  

We really need to begin this Big XII slate with a 4-0 start.  We'll be favored in each game, even @OSU.  Let's fucking do this! 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

These are the games you have to win because I'm sure everyone is eventually going to have a game or two where key players are out with Covid. 

WV is also a bitch to play at their place. 

• Like 1

Another great defensive performance today.  With this team, if we get up 20 points, we aren’t losing the game. Period.  They don’t take forced shots in the half court. They don’t force a 1 on 2 fast break. They make free throws.

With about 10 min to go we were up by like 22. I was thinking, WV may not get the ball more than 10-12 more possessions. This is over.  We could dribble out the shot clock every possession and they aren’t beating us.

It is amazing how many times we will get a steal at near half court and STILL take a full 30 seconds to shoot. The other team simply doesn’t get many possessions and our defense is so good that the other team has to resort bad shots.

Honestly that was one of the best wins in the last 5+ years.

• Hook 'Em 2

I seriously hope Coach Beard is the one moving forward that shits all over Brian Davis and chip brown. Again it makes zero sense why UT let’s these clowns come in week after week shitting on the program they make money off of covering yet when Mack was here he shut anyone out that said anything negative. We’ve gone from one extreme to the next. But right now when we are doing good to continue the shit fest constantly is just being a bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't understand why people actually thought Carr was leaving. 

That said Marcus Carr is a plague on the program. He burned our crops and poisoned our water supply. 

View Inspect GIF by IFHT Films

There's a crowd of butthurt Tech dipshits on Twitter that are perpetuating all sorts of sordid stuff about Beard and the team.  They're psycho ex-girlfriend level weirdos.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I seriously hope Coach Beard is the one moving forward that shits all over Brian Davis and chip brown. Again it makes zero sense why UT let’s these clowns come in week after week shitting on the program they make money off of covering yet when Mack was here he shut anyone out that said anything negative. We’ve gone from one extreme to the next. But right now when we are doing good to continue the shit fest constantly is just being a bitch. 

5zm0sb.gif

5q180s.gif

Chip will win every ethics limbo contest he enters.  He'll always go lower than anyone else and he doesn't care.

For a guy who, a few years ago, got chased around the rumor mill about his gambling debts as a fulcrum for getting certain "stories" out there about the Texas football program that played a role in prompting a player to sign with OU instead of Texas, he certainly gives no fucks in perpetuating unsubstantiated rumors.  Totally shameless.

On 12/31/2021 at 8:53 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Don't think I misread your comments, you're just trying to backtrack.

You stated that AAS sportswriters push/amplify negative stories about Texas, which qualifies as "sensationalist with an agenda."

No it doesn't. Sure, if you just want to change what the words I wrote mean then you may end up having a point. I gave you a specific and timely example of an AAS writer pushing and amplifying a story that was negative about Texas even though he was just dumb and gullible and didn't have a sensationalist agenda. You didn't comment on that very clear example. Perhaps you missed that part of my post.

You then followed up by stating they ignore chances to jump on coaches for coachspeak (every beat writer does this, btw, else he/she would quickly run out of access/sources) and instead lob softball questions. Those two statements essentially contradict one another because, lemme tell you, nothing would burn bridges faster with a coach than some yellow article on his program.

This is absurd. What access and sources? If they have them then they never use them so what's the point? What big story has anyone at the AAS broken recently? Why would they need access and sources when all they do is show up to press conferences, ask inane questions, then write completely uninformative columns? And then outside of the PCs just believe whatever negative thing they hear said about Texas by their rivals and retweet and spread it so they end up just pissing off the coaches anyway?

The AAS writers serve a function in that they report on the team for the uninformed masses. The only people who get anything out of their work are the people who get all their information on UT sports from the AAS. Sadly those people actually exist.

Again, which regular UT beat writers make the grade for you?

None of them currently. I'm not sure this proves what you think it proves, though. None of our big 3 sports coaches were making the grade for me when the teams all sucked at the same time recently. The fact that nobody doing the job is any good doesn't mean my expectations are unrealistic. It means they all suck. Bohls, Davis, and Golden are terrible journalists when it comes to UT sports.

Edited by Huckleberry

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Bohls, Davis, and Golden are terrible journalists when it comes to UT sports.

They do what it takes to keep their jobs.  Write fluff, act the occasional contrarian to maintain some bizarre version of "credibility", stay in Austin.  Win win.

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No it doesn't. Sure, if you just want to change what the words I wrote mean then you may end up having a point. I gave you a specific and timely example of an AAS writer pushing and amplifying a story that was negative about Texas even though he was just dumb and gullible and didn't have a sensationalist agenda. You didn't comment on that very clear example. Perhaps you missed that part of my post.

In your original response to me, you stated that AAS sportswriters go "way past" crossing a line, "pushing and amplifying negative stories about Texas even when they're obvious bullshit."

That's a sensationalistic agenda. My words, yes, but a fair and objective summary of your comment. You seem to find my categorization unfair, but then reinforce it with the example you provided (more on that in a moment).

As previously noted, you don't even seem to be in agreement with yourself because you immediately contradicted the previous assertion by stating that AAS staffers refuse to call Longhorns coaches out for obvious coachspeak and instead query them as to their favorite holiday eats.

As for your challenge, your original statement pertained to the entire AAS staff. You later followed up with an example--something Brian Davis wrote about someone named Kobie McKinzie--that you avow is false and was deliberately published because "it makes Texas look bad." Again, how is that not accusing the AAS of having a sensationalistic agenda?

But now you're contending Davis et al. are just dumb and gullible? Like I said, you're backtracking. You charged in, talking out of your ass, and are now trying to backpedal. Maybe you should write for the Statesman.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

you're contending Davis et al. are just dumb and gullible

Those morons actually thought Herman would be back this year because CDC said so.  That was the last podcast of the theirs I ever listened to, because I couldn’t believe they were so gullible and uninformed.

Texas forces a bunch of turnovers and they don't send other teams to the FT line. That's the formula for having a good defense. 

So far the two things I'm most pleased with from Beard are 1) Shot selection. The offense is still inconsistent at times but I rarely see us jacking shots like we did under Shaka. 2) Disciplined defensively. Popovich has always said the best defenses are the ones that can defend without fouling and this Texas team is doing that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Those morons actually thought Herman would be back this year because CDC said so.  That was the last podcast of the theirs I ever listened to, because I couldn’t believe they were so gullible and uninformed.

Don't listen to podcasts so i've no idea what was said. However, I will note that what one suspects and what one reports often aren't the same. If all credible/official sources insist one thing, it would be irresponsible of any journalist to come out and insist the opposite without having a credible/official source to cite.

Being relatively informal, maybe there's more latitude for podcasts, but I would think they'd still have to choose their words carefully because, unlike some rando on YouTube, their careers and reputations would be on the line.

My big thing with the AAS is I could put up with their bullshit if they were actually good at their jobs. 

All those AAS reporters were running their mouths about Herman returning after that CDC statement when everyone knew Herman was a dead man walking. Then you have Bohls openly mocking Texas fans on Twitter about his sources saying "no chance Texas goes to the SEC." 

They're terrible at their jobs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Bohls said out loud something like "Why would the SEC even want Texas and Oklahoma?". 

He's such a moron. 

Funniest thing is he was trolling Texas fans with "Missouri and A&M would be hard a no." This fucker didn't realize those bitches would fall in line with the real powers in the SEC. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That may be so. Not debating that. Just noting that the assertion that the AAS staff wields an anti-Longhorn agenda is ludicrously stupid, like tinfoil hat-level dumb.

I dunno. 

I think being hated by fans you cover eventually has an impact. Texas fans hate these guys with a passion and they know it. Anti-longhorn agenda? Not sure but I definitely think they've skewed towards the negative with Texas because nobody likes them. 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I dunno. 

I think being hated by fans you cover eventually has an impact. Texas fans hate these guys with a passion and they know it. Anti-longhorn agenda? Not sure but I definitely think they've skewed towards the negative with Texas because nobody likes them. 

My biggest beef with Kurt has always been not only is he consistently wrong about just about everything but he’s not that good of a writer about it on top of that. 

Back in the day when John Maher was the football columnist everyone hated him because he tended to tell the truth about some pretty crappy longhorn teams and people didn’t want to hear it. I always liked him because he was a good writer and could be pretty funny. Then for some reason he got transferred to a more news area of the paper and Kurt took over and it’s sucked ever since. Bush over Vince? Cmon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Brian Davis is just an idiot who is uninformed. 

In 2013, Brian Davis took a job at a print newspaper as a beat reporter. If that's not a true reflection of his value to the world of journalism...

But seriously, look at his resume. It screams pinhead lighweight. A degree in Broadcast Journalism yet has never been a broadcast journalist. Started at Alburquerque Tribune, then 10 years as a staff writer at DMN, then a failed attempt as a financial adviser, and then back to print media because that's all he can comprehend/obtain. The man is lucky to be employed in his chosen profession. Over 20 years in the field and he's still a low-level hack at a third-tier print dinosaur with a circulation under 180,000. Cut his credentials and he's driving for Uber within the month because there's absolutely no substance to his schtick.