Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

^Incarnate Word sucks.  They probably wouldn’t beat my high school team. And I’m a Beard fan.

They definitely suck. They also haven't scored below 55 points all season and Texas held them to 33 points. 

That's with 2 final 4 caliber teams on their schedule (Baylor and Purdue). Texas can defend. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Our defense is looking great on many levels.  If you can’t appreciate a smothering, frustrating defense, then you need to expand your horizons. I thought his defense was beautiful at Tech and it is getting prettier by the day here.  Imagine being the other team and scoring 35 points in a game. That is ugly. The fact we are causing it is beautiful.

the other thing about this is that we've seen the effect this can have in tourney play. opposing teams want to get up and down, and when they can't, they want to get to the rim in the half court. all of a sudden you find yourself in a single elimination tournament game where you can't run, you have to play half court, you can't get into the paint, and the game slows to a grind, and suddenly you find yourself completely out of your element. it's another aspect of Beard and his style that appears to be starkly anti-Shaka- he doesn't run a beautiful NBA offense, but his style seems a lot more suited to winning in the tourney than what we did under Smart.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

They definitely suck. They also haven't scored below 55 points all season and Texas held them to 33 points. 

That's with 2 final 4 caliber teams on their schedule (Baylor and Purdue). Texas can defend. 

I’m 99.9% sure I haven’t been critical of this team and I’m 100% sure I haven’t been critical of the defense.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Oh for sure. I'm just saying with terrible competition you can still reach conclusions about teams. 

Yeah. I’m pretty positive our defense is very good to exceptional. Our offense is, well, it’s a work in progress and I completely get this is what we will likely see from Beard’s teams. Especially without a one and done which Beard will get here. I’m good with that. Actually no I’m great with that because I no longer have to watch us jack up 25 foot 3’s on a break or with 25 left on the shot clock.  Sorry if I came across as a negative Nancy. I actually like watching this team.

• Hook 'Em 1

BWG's definition of "fun" is crazy athletes dunking the ball with no skill. One of those tweets posted by Derka pretty much says it word for word. 

With every tweet it gets even more idiotic. He's really describing the Shaka product as what he wants to see knowing it never produced a single win in the tournament. It's fucking incredible. But remember, this team needs to have "fun". 

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the other thing about this is that we've seen the effect this can have in tourney play. opposing teams want to get up and down, and when they can't, they want to get to the rim in the half court. all of a sudden you find yourself in a single elimination tournament game where you can't run, you have to play half court, you can't get into the paint, and the game slows to a grind, and suddenly you find yourself completely out of your element. it's another aspect of Beard and his style that appears to be starkly anti-Shaka- he doesn't run a beautiful NBA offense, but his style seems a lot more suited to winning in the tourney than what we did under Smart.

That and it wears on teams. 

Schaefer plays at a faster tempo because of the full court press but he likes to play very methodically in the half court. It worked perfectly in the tournament last year. In the final 5 minutes teams were gassed when they played Texas because they make you work on the defensive end. 

Well it was fun to see the players he had and then imagine how good they would be with real coaching or in the NBA. And we got some nice highlights. BWG is an epic moron and we all can agree on that.

x-posting what I said on the game thread, but I expect we see Disu, Mitchell, Allen, Ramey and Carr from here out. Febres and Bishop off the bench. Jones and Askew can play as needed and if we have to bring Cunningham in for minutes, ok I guess. That’s my hope anyway.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

There are kids playing over him that I'd prefer wouldn't have playing time at Texas. The fact that Tyson followed Beard to Texas speaks to Beard's gravity as a recruiter and Texas' brand. This is nothing but a positive as far as Texas basketball is concerned. To put it bluntly: a kid that should never get minutes here came here because he loved our head coach and loved the brand. 

Let's get some phenoms and start putting some fucking numbers on the banners. 

The problem is Jaylon needs to put in serious work to remake his body. I was shocked by the tub of lard he actually was, because it was reported during summer workouts he was doing well.

Tyson’s body shape is just weird. I’m not sure if he’s fat or that’s kind of what his body shape looks like naturally. 

The way he moves makes it seem like he’s fat/out of shape but maybe the guy simply isn’t athletic. 

I know Htownhorn and Derka have argued over this in the past. Regardless, his body shape is just really odd to me. Is he a fatty or stocky/stiff looking? 

Y’all were watching a different Tyson than I was. I actually thought he looked pretty good in his limited action early this season. In a freshman that’s not a superstar I just want to see a kid that stands out from the rest of the people on the court, whether it be shooting or some other skill. Sometimes you can’t exactly put a finger on what exactly it is and it’s something about just the way he “looks” on the court. But when we were playing all those scrubs early this year, he stood out. Kid definitely has talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, justhookit said:

Y’all were watching a different Tyson than I was. I actually thought he looked pretty good in his limited action early this season. In a freshman that’s not a superstar I just want to see a kid that stands out from the rest of the people on the court, whether it be shooting or some other skill. Sometimes you can’t exactly put a finger on what exactly it is and it’s something about just the way he “looks” on the court. But when we were playing all those scrubs early this year, he stood out. Kid definitely has talent.

I didn’t see it. He was a liability on the defensive end and on the boards because of his athleticism. 

I think Tyson has the potential to become a good shooter although his offensive game seems somewhat limited currently. 

The guy was a bench warmer for a reason and Beard has no issue playing young guys if it’s warranted. Not saying Tyson won’t be a good player down the line but I thought he would be a much better player this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

He’s a guard.

edit- a really big guard

Tyson is too big to be a guard currently. Whether you call it fat or just bulky he's way too stiff. 

It's why Beard wasn't playing him. He couldn't move laterally and was beat off the dribble by guards when he was playing. I think he's more of a SF that might one day be a good shooter. If this season is any indication I don't see how he could ever be a guard due to athletic limitations. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I also wasn’t expecting anything considering what we brought in and had returning. I’ll see if I can find it but one of the other few good posters on this board besides y’all felt similarly to what I saw.

Anyway, I’m sorry to see him go but not surprised. He will turn up at Houston or somewhere and be a good player.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Tyson is too big to be a guard currently. Whether you call it fat or just bulky he's way too stiff. 

It's why Beard wasn't playing him. He couldn't move laterally and was beat off the dribble by guards when he was playing. I think he's more of a SF that might one day be a good shooter. If this season is any indication I don't see how he could ever be a guard due to athletic limitations. 

I agree small forward is in his future. I think you’re underselling his athleticism. It’s definitely a plus.

I'm sorry to see Tyson go because it's tough to project young players that are still developing. With that said, he wasn't playing this season for good reason. 

Micah Peeavy was really raw for Tech last season but he could do things that warranted him getting minutes. I just didn't see it yet with Tyson but who knows in a few years. With Beard, he places so much emphasis on the defensive end that if you aren't a capable defender you won't get minutes. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm sorry to see Tyson go because it's tough to project young players that are still developing. With that said, he wasn't playing this season for good reason. 

So basically, unless they are a top 20 recruit (in basically any sport), I am not getting invested in them because they aren't sticking around with the transfer portal. No point in getting excited about anyone except a sure-fire real deal recruit who is starting day 1. 

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

01AA21F0-474B-44EC-A4D8-497C7740B377.jpeg.1bae9eaec8c1bc99df33b847ae575943.jpeg

that ^^^, followed by three self referential tweets/photos of BWG from last summer claiming that Chris Beard runs off all of the talented freshmen he gets isn't gloating? @Bitterwhiteguy is a sad, sad tool, who claims to be a Texas basketball fan, when in reality there's probably nobody in the country who wants Texas basketball to fail more then he does. 

Yeah I mean you guys know him better than I do so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. What he said isn't technically false, his track record with freshmen isn't great so far, but also those players just weren't good like Burnett. The only one I was annoyed with him running off at Tech was Josh Mballa.

On 12/28/2021 at 11:54 PM, texasstrong12 said:

The guy is a massive hypocrite. Here are the non-conference SOS rankings (per Kenpom) the last few seasons under Shaka: 

85th

187th

41st

99th

103rd

This year's non-conference schedule is terrible but I bet there won't be much difference from Shaka's non-conference scheduling over the long term. 

This is Bead's non-conference SOS rankings at Tech

2021-283

2020-296

2019-307

2018-309

2017-351

2022 (Beard at Texas) -358

While BWG's motives are questionable it's clear that he has a point on this subject. Beard historically puts together trash ass schedules. 

10 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is Bead's non-conference SOS rankings at Tech

2021-283

2020-296

2019-307

2018-309

2017-351

2022 (Beard at Texas) -358

While BWG's motives are questionable it's clear that he has a point on this subject. Beard historically puts together trash ass schedules. 

I bet this improves significantly at Texas. I had this same discussion about Schaefer.

Schaefer played a soft schedule in non-conference and a very tough conference schedule in the SEC at Miss State. You can get more marquee type games at Texas vs Tech/Miss State. 

I don't expect Beard or Schaefer to ever play a brutal non-conference schedule but in the 80-150 range moving forward. Which is more than fine based on a tough conference schedule. 

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I bet this improves significantly at Texas. I had this same discussion about Schaefer.

Schaefer played a soft schedule in non-conference and a very tough conference schedule in the SEC at Miss State. You can get more marquee type games at Texas vs Tech/Miss State. 

I don't expect Beard or Schaefer to ever play a brutal non-conference schedule but in the 80-150 range moving forward. Which is more than fine based on a tough conference schedule. 

Typically you're not going to see a lot of major conference teams at the top of the heap of Non-Conference SOS rankings. High non-con SOS rankings are reserved for the likes of Prairie View, Jackson St, and a bunch of other HBCUs or small schools that spend the majority of their non-conference schedules getting bashed by major conference teams. A good major conference non-conf SOS is going to be in the range of 75-200. Even Rick's last 5 years at UT consisted of non-conf SOS rankings of 

2011-143

2012-198

2013-204

2014-213

2015-234

*according to kenpom. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

With the Big 12, you don't need an extremely tough non-conference schedule. 3 or 4 good opponents in non-conference is perfectly fine. 

You're going to be golden from an advanced metrics perspective simply based on the round robin conference scheduling and how many good teams are in the Big 12. Which is why almost every Big 12 team this year has played a soft SOS. 

When you're playing 18-21 games (including Big 12 tournament) with at least 12 of those coming against quality teams there's no need to stack a non-conference schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn't pay much attention to Tech so I don't know whether Beard typically schedules an early season tournament or a set of show case games, but the lack of those extra 3 or 4 games against the likes of a Davidson or even a California or a Texas A&M type level team would probably push our SOS up 100 spots. The reason our non-conf SOS schedule sucks so much is that not only are we not catching any teams in the 90-199 range, but pretty much every non major conference team we've played has been in the 240s or below. 

I know box-plus minus isn't the best stat but back to the Tyson discussion. Last on the team in box-plus minus including walk-ons that play. 

We also need Carr to start playing better or really any guard to step up. Just one of these guards being halfway decent to pair with Disu, Mitchell and Allen will cook. 

Box-plus minus: 

Disu 15.7

Mitchell 13.1

Allen 9.3

Jones 7.4

Licon 7.2

Bishop 6.3

Cunningham 5.7

Febres 3.9

Ramey 3.7

Askew 3.5

Benson 1.6

Carr 0.1

Tyson 0.0 

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I know box-plus minus isn't the best stat but back to the Tyson discussion. Last on the team in box-plus minus including walk-ons that play. 

We also need Carr to start playing better or really any guard to step up. Just one of these guards being halfway decent to pair with Disu, Mitchell and Allen will cook. 

Box-plus minus: 

Disu 15.7

Mitchell 13.1

Allen 9.3

Jones 7.4

Licon 7.2

Bishop 6.3

Cunningham 5.7

Febres 3.9

Ramey 3.7

Askew 3.5

Benson 1.6

Carr 0.1

Tyson 0.0 

Looks about right. The top 3 are the best players and not surprised to see Carr that far down. 

Surprised Jones is that high above some other players. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Looks about right. The top 3 are the best players and not surprised to see Carr that far down. 

Yeah, I thought some other players might be above Jones. I knew Carr had been inconsistent offensively but thought box plus/minus would look better based on his defensive effort. 

That's the guy Texas has to get going. 

My question for this team is who scores when necessary in last five minutes of games. They are good enough defensively to be in games but someone needs to step up. Fortunately conference games will provide plenty of opportunities for the players. Allen is terrific as a complementary player but doesn’t shoot well enough from the outside to be the guy. Mitchell and Disu aren’t going to create from the perimeter.  It’s gotta be a guard. Let’s see if someone does it.  

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

BPM is basically just what are you doing on the box score versus what is a replacement guy doing when he's on the floor instead of you. The biggest thing it misses is non-statistical contributions on defense. Which is why AJ has twice the BPM as Ramey. 

Here's a quickish explanation:

How does Box Plus/Minus evaluate players? The basic concept is simple. BPM starts by assuming that every player on the team has contributed equally. If the team is good, all of the players are assumed to be equally good.

Next, the box score information is added to revise the evaluation. All of the box score data is measured relative to the other players on the team. Does this player get more or fewer steals than the other players on the team? If more, this player is likely better on defense than they are. Do they score more or less efficiently? Do they have more or fewer assists?

This box score information is also weighted according to what position or role the player has on the team. For instance, a block by a center is good, but a block by a guard is great. Similarly, scoring by a low usage player has to be very efficient to mean much to the team, since they aren't putting pressure on the defense.

Now, some of the box score data does not help measure a player's impact on the team, even though the stat may be obviously valuable to the team. Defensive rebounds fall into that category. They matter to the team, but it really doesn't matter who on the team gets them. The credit for getting that rebound mostly gets split among the team, rather than all being credited to the player who actually pulled the rebound down.

I like BPM okay. It's probably better than PER but of any of the less-advanced metrics (so not including something like RAPTOR or RPM although I have issues with both of those, too, especially RPM) I like it less than WS which is heavily weighted towards scoring efficiently, not turning the ball over, steals/blocks and your team winning games (as well as how much you are playing). Here's that list for Texas. For guys playing similarish minutes per game the per minute to the right can smooth it a bit (for Allen vs. Mitchell, for example).

20211230_110240.thumb.jpg.08d6eb3388ee25b8b4b3f27094795dd9.jpg

It also misses on non-statistical defense because of course it does - but some of that is mitigated by it not rewarding "good" players on shitty teams. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Marcus Carr...

Um. What? How would Carr transfer. He used up his exemption so wouldn't he have to sit a year then play his last year? Also - he's just going to waste the remaining 2/3s plus of this season?

Maybe I have the transfer rules wrong. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Um. What? How would Carr transfer. He used up his exemption so wouldn't he have to sit a year then play his last year? Also - he's just going to waste the remaining 2/3s plus of this season?

Maybe I have the transfer rules wrong. 

Probably wouldn't transfer. Would just leave the program and go play overseas or some such until the draft.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Probably wouldn't transfer. Would just leave the program and go play overseas or some such until the draft.

Lol. Ain't no one drafting him. I guess if he wants to go pro he can but that will only hurt his draft stock (which is non existent anyway) unless he plays absolutely awful basketball down the stretch. 

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, I meant go overseas until the draft and then go bounce around the G-league or whatever

I'm not saying that you're advocating he do that but that doesn't make any sense. If he wants to go try and play in Europe then good for him. Even making the G league is difficult and nowhere near a guarantee for him. There are plenty of players that were better than Carr in college that can't make the top Euro leagues or G League. 

I could offer an alternative route, however, which is ball the fuck out the rest of the season at Texas and maybe be a stud en route to a deep tourney run and have someone take a 2nd round flyer on him. That's the only way he's getting drafted. 

Edited by ztejas

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

all the players talked about during the summer was how bought in they all were, and how nobody cared about minutes and shots, just winning. so easy to say; apparently a lot tougher to follow through. 

They all thought they would be getting the minutes though