2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

On 7/30/2021 at 3:13 PM, Gourmand said:

I wanted Buxton but I will say that I've seen quite a bit of Jake Meyers and that dude can rake AND play defense. I think y'all are gonna like him. I just don't know how long it will take him to transition to the next level. 

On 7/30/2021 at 3:22 PM, Gourmand said:

There is not a thing Straw does that Meyers won't do better. He's a better defender, he has speed, he can hit for average and he can hit for power. Experience is the only issue.

On 7/30/2021 at 3:27 PM, Gourmand said:

Remember when surly hated Myles Straw and wanted him dumped in the Gulf of Mexico?

Jake Meyers is better than Straw. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

It still cracks me up that so many Astros fans got so bent out of shape over Straw getting traded when he was just getting in the way of two outfielders with a similar floor as his but much higher ceilings because they can actually hit home runs. 

I like Straw but he's another Willy Taveras in CF. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Also, to be fair to Straw, he’s cost controlled and likely a league average player moving forward with his speed and defense, which is pretty valuable. Indeed, he has the sixth highest WAR of all CFs in the majors this season. The fact that they were willing to move him shows how highly Click thinks of McCormick/Meyers.